Elicia Hughes Murder Trial - Testimon...

Elicia Hughes Murder Trial - Testimony Begins

There are 164 comments on the WLBT-TV Jackson story from Nov 7, 2007, titled Elicia Hughes Murder Trial - Testimony Begins. In it, WLBT-TV Jackson reports that:

Testimony began in the Elicia Hughes murder retrial in Hinds county court. Hughes is accused in the shooting death of her husband Brian in their Jackson home in the summer of 2004. via WLBT-TV Jackson

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WLBT-TV Jackson.

Miss Prissy

Austin, TX

#103 Mar 6, 2011
Arent you afraid this beauty might shoot you in your balls too. SHE IS GUILTY AS HELL! the police just didn't investigate properly. She got away with the perfect murder! For now until she has to answer to God.
jaye smooth wrote:
she is so beautiful i would love to make her my wife if i could contact her. there's a $1000 bonus for a phone number or something
Miss Prissy

Austin, TX

#104 Mar 6, 2011
The police investigation screw up and allowed a killer to get away with murder! She will not get away for long because she still has to answer to God! and we all know God works in mysterious ways! As she got away maybe God will allow someone to get away when someone in her family becomes the victim. Ill continue to Google the story on Elicia Hughes for years to come!
MinusTheBars

Jackson, MS

#105 Oct 3, 2011
Elicit Hughes isn't as concerned with any of you.

Let it go.
Ivan

Lynnwood, WA

#106 Oct 30, 2011
emetae wrote:
Hello, I believe that every sin has it's consequences. and Brian lived a life that led to the tragic events of sin. the bible does not lie. the devil has come to kill, steal, and destroy lives. If Brian was living a Godly life, I dont thing he would have had an untimely death.
No, if Elicia Hughes was living a Godly life, she would not have murdered her husband!
Ivan

Lynnwood, WA

#107 Oct 30, 2011
Doesn't everyone notice how the guilty ones ALMOST NEVER show any concern for the victim? Not once did Elicia ever ask, "Who killed my husband?". AShe spent every waking hour trying to absolve herself of the crime, that's it! Her concern was for herself. That doesn't sound like proper behavior for the wife of a husband who was senselessly (and apparently, inexplicably) murdered at the front door of their family home...while the children slept in the home, no less.

Nor did Elicia Hughes EVER express worry or wonder that she could also be a target of the same person/people who killed her husband. if the crime was truly random or committed by someone outside of the home for no explainable reason, that should have been one of her chief concerns. It wasn't. Do you want to know why that is? SHE KILLED HIM!!! Elicia Hughes was clearly guilty, and the police had more evidence against her than they did O.J., Scott Peterson or Casey Anthony.

What bumbling idiots! They let her that overnight bag from the crime scene and dumped the evidence (namely the gun) and bathed the gunshot residue off of her, managing to miss a spot on the back of her hand.

GUILTY-GUILTY-GUILTY...ELICIA HUGHES WAS PURE GUILTY!!!
Ivan

Lynnwood, WA

#108 Oct 30, 2011
Jennifer flowers wrote:
I love Elicia weather she did it or not!!! Men should learn to keep there d**ks In there pants this should be a lesson learned to all the men that take marriage for a game !!!
She had absolutely no right to take his life, no matter what he was doing outside of the marriage. And no murderer is a "beautiful person" as some of these nut-jobs have described her. If I ever see her I will tell her that she is a murderer and that she knows she is a murderer. She didn't fool the majority of the people who know about her case. I feel sorry for her daughters and her new husband. That bitz crazy!
Ivan

Lynnwood, WA

#109 Oct 30, 2011
mdphawaii wrote:
<quoted text>
Detective Lee, this writers' scenario is not far-fetched at all. From the beginning I believed that maybe another of his mistresses arrived at the door. To keep her from causing a disturbance that would have alerted his wife, he opened the door to try to persuade her to leave. I believe this is why he suddenly has to hang up from Robby. Or as the other writer explained, maybe Robby herself followed him home and shot him. No one except Robby and he know what their discussion was. The fact that he was on the cell phone with Robby only documents the time he hung up, not what Robby's demeanor was.
Wrong! You obviously have no idea how cell-phone transmission works. The police checked to see which cell-site(s) and switches the phone calls between Robbie and Brian were bouncing off of. With every cellular call, there's a numerical code, an encription, denoting the towers that transmit the calls from origin to connection (this is how they caught O.J. on the freeway). That information is indisposable and transmitted back to the carrier's main databases. When the person physically moves (by driving a car, etc.), the cell-sites and switches transmitting the call just change, but the encription info is still transmitted back to the carrier and stored.

Robbie was clearly at home during that call, just like she said she was. Unless she commissioned another spurned woman (or some random dude) to help her with the crime, Elicia is the killer. If the call from Robbie was on a landline, all bets are really off, because there would be no way for Rob bie to lie about the call.

Doesn't anyone notice how badly Elicia wanted to get out of the house after the police arrived? If she loved her husband, she should have wanted to know if they were going to find the killer. Relatives could have picked up the children. NO...Elicia Hughes was concerned only for herself and her ability to cover up the crime, and she needed to act fast.

She's a killer, and I hope she tries it again so she can be exposed for what she truly is: the devil in walking.
Ivan

Lynnwood, WA

#110 Oct 30, 2011
Detective Baden Lee wrote:
Tonya, I doubt if your suggestion would ever happen because it's almost second nature to anyone, not just police to suspect or rule out the person (s) closest to the victim. For example, when you misplace your keys, you look for the closest place to you first. You don't go looking in your neighbors house, the mall, your job first. You initially look at your surroundings.
<quoted text>
You are completely clueless. Most of the time a murder is committed by an associate or relative; that is why you work from the inside out. There are statistics to back this up. Moreover, a close associate or relative who kills is in the best position to cover up the crime because of their access to personal effects, property, financial records, medical records, etc. No, relatives aren't always guilty by any means, but the police are doing the right thing when they investigate home and work outward.

Specifically looking at this case, there were just far too many reasons to look directly at Elicia and no one else, starting with her behavior and lack of concern for her husband, not to mention a strong motive as well as the classic modus operandi of a spurned wife or lover, i.e. shooting the victim in the groin.

People don't understand this concept: it's not what a person says or does that provides the strongest clues, it's what they DON'T SAY and DON'T DO. From that perspective, Elicia Hughes jumped through every hoop suggesting that she killed her husband because she had simply had enough.

She never expressed any remorse about his death or even curiousity as to how the investigation was going. She never expressed fear that she or her children could have been targets. That's because she already knew who the killer was: ELICIA HUGHES, WIFE OF THE VICTIM!! She was clearly guilty. Let's hope she screws up again just like O.J. did.
whatha

Hermitage, TN

#111 Oct 30, 2011
Nikki Magraff wrote:
I searched up information pertaining to the case as well as looked up this Robbie Rayford chick. And she was in love with Brian Hughes. Any woman dealing with a married man and accepting the double life for as long as she did meant that she was emotionally attached to him and that she was waiting on him to leave his home. And that meant she was jealous. She is still mourning over his death. So when she said she told him to not leave his wife. As a woman i dont believe that BS. Because she went through the emotional stress of dealing with him going back and forth. And to find out about another mistress was more reason. He died in 2004. Robbie is still missing Brian. And she has even married since then. So she cant say she did not love this man. Because she has a myspace page. As for Elicia. I saw the pain in her eyes. She didnt murder her husband. Do i believe in temporary insanity? OF COURSE. But i also believe in the look on someones face when they are hurting for many reasons. She no longer has a husband. She no longer has a career as a school teacher. She no longer has a father for those children. and most importantly she has a lot of people who dislike her now. WOW! God bless her is all i can say
Is it love, or a guilty conscience? Most floozies that go with married men, have other men on the side too.
whatha

Hermitage, TN

#112 Oct 30, 2011
Ivan wrote:
<quoted text>
You are completely clueless. Most of the time a murder is committed by an associate or relative; that is why you work from the inside out. There are statistics to back this up. Moreover, a close associate or relative who kills is in the best position to cover up the crime because of their access to personal effects, property, financial records, medical records, etc. No, relatives aren't always guilty by any means, but the police are doing the right thing when they investigate home and work outward.
Specifically looking at this case, there were just far too many reasons to look directly at Elicia and no one else, starting with her behavior and lack of concern for her husband, not to mention a strong motive as well as the classic modus operandi of a spurned wife or lover, i.e. shooting the victim in the groin.
People don't understand this concept: it's not what a person says or does that provides the strongest clues, it's what they DON'T SAY and DON'T DO. From that perspective, Elicia Hughes jumped through every hoop suggesting that she killed her husband because she had simply had enough.
She never expressed any remorse about his death or even curiousity as to how the investigation was going. She never expressed fear that she or her children could have been targets. That's because she already knew who the killer was: ELICIA HUGHES, WIFE OF THE VICTIM!! She was clearly guilty. Let's hope she screws up again just like O.J. did.
She, herself was a target to gossip, and she had just been destroyed personally. Shock is a factor in coolness after an untimely death of a loved one. Apparently you don't know anything about how drug cartels operate. Another thing, unless they were struggling for the gun, and it went off, it's unlikely that she shot her husband..more likely one of the paramours he had, and who knows how many he had and had jilted. No heart bleeds for a cheating heart. Being an educated person with a hemmoroid, intelligent people don't fall apart like the average uneducated person would. Why should she fall apart, why should she leave her home, I had a cheatin' heart person, and couldn't catch him at it for years, but I sure wasn't about to walk off and give him everything I had worked for. When I finally caught up with the spouse, I seen him for myself, his gal friend hid, I walked up, told him to have a great life, no arguing, no fighting. He got what he chased, he wasn't happy so that was good bye...I live by the rule "Life is full of happiness, fun and laughter, I'll be true as long as you but not a minute after." It was a struggle over the house, who was leaving. During the time, I started getting phone calls at 9a.m. when confronted about it "You got your girlfriend, you got what you asked for, be happy with it-that's my boyfriend calling...there's too many out there to kill to get free, or get killed for being free.
whatha

Hermitage, TN

#113 Oct 30, 2011
Mrs. Hughes herself was a victim in this. I never went out with a guy I didn't find out something about him beforehand. If a married man tried to pull that on me, I called up his wife and told her.That stopped the disrespect to me by a married twit. It's easy to get information on people.If hoes would think about anything but themselves they wouldn't set out to hurt,I like the joke about the funeral procession: Gal was going down the street, seen two coffins being carried, and 200women following behind the widow who was leading two pit bulls. She couldn't stand it any longer,so she goes over to give her condolences and find out why two coffins, and nothing but women, widow said" Oh, said that first coffin is my dear departed husband, curosity got the better of the old gal, well who's the second, widow said, thats his mistress, gal asked how did they die, widow said these two dogs killed them, old gal said"mam' can I borrow those dogs" widow said "get in line" That is how a wife feels about a cheater.
karen

Oxnard, CA

#114 Dec 18, 2011
just watched this story on tv for the first time. wow im behind the times never heard it before. however she was found innocent, that's all that matters nothing eles. that is how the justice systems works like it or not. so good tv vewing for me and im on to the next story. ps the judge must have thought the first jury got it wrong cause he sure granted anew trial on a weak technicallity duh
Ivan

Lynnwood, WA

#116 Mar 4, 2012
whatha wrote:
Mrs. Hughes herself was a victim in this. I never went out with a guy I didn't find out something about him beforehand. If a married man tried to pull that on me, I called up his wife and told her.That stopped the disrespect to me by a married twit. It's easy to get information on people.If hoes would think about anything but themselves they wouldn't set out to hurt,I like the joke about the funeral procession: Gal was going down the street, seen two coffins being carried, and 200women following behind the widow who was leading two pit bulls. She couldn't stand it any longer,so she goes over to give her condolences and find out why two coffins, and nothing but women, widow said" Oh, said that first coffin is my dear departed husband, curosity got the better of the old gal, well who's the second, widow said, thats his mistress, gal asked how did they die, widow said these two dogs killed them, old gal said"mam' can I borrow those dogs" widow said "get in line" That is how a wife feels about a cheater.
It's amazing that anyone can call Elicia Hughes a "victim". If Brian had killed her for cheating, there would be NO SYMPATHY for him...none. If cheating justifies murder, a lot of women deserve to be killed as well. How do you feel about that?
Ivan

Lynnwood, WA

#117 Mar 4, 2012
whatha wrote:
<quoted text>
She, herself was a target to gossip, and she had just been destroyed personally. Shock is a factor in coolness after an untimely death of a loved one. Apparently you don't know anything about how drug cartels operate. Another thing, unless they were struggling for the gun, and it went off, it's unlikely that she shot her husband..more likely one of the paramours he had, and who knows how many he had and had jilted. No heart bleeds for a cheating heart. Being an educated person with a hemmoroid, intelligent people don't fall apart like the average uneducated person would. Why should she fall apart, why should she leave her home, I had a cheatin' heart person, and couldn't catch him at it for years, but I sure wasn't about to walk off and give him everything I had worked for. When I finally caught up with the spouse, I seen him for myself, his gal friend hid, I walked up, told him to have a great life, no arguing, no fighting. He got what he chased, he wasn't happy so that was good bye...I live by the rule "Life is full of happiness, fun and laughter, I'll be true as long as you but not a minute after." It was a struggle over the house, who was leaving. During the time, I started getting phone calls at 9a.m. when confronted about it "You got your girlfriend, you got what you asked for, be happy with it-that's my boyfriend calling...there's too many out there to kill to get free, or get killed for being free.
Obviously, you have no idea how JEALOUS WOMEN WORK, or maybe you're a relative of Elicia Hughes. I am a very hard person to convince of a defendant's guilt, especially black defendants, and I say that anyone with a brain knows she did it. The case was properly sewn up the first time around.

I am black, and I was very offended by the use of a racial issue to free her up. The evidence pointed to her guilt. Again, Brian was shot in the groin. drug cartels shoot people in the head, not the groin.
Ivan

Lynnwood, WA

#118 Mar 4, 2012
SAzrael wrote:
I'm sorry...did we miss the fact that the murder weapon was a .45... A .45 has one HELL of a kick... And a woman who's never fired one before, would have more stray bullets, then just one.
Nobody knows whether or not she had ever fired one before. That fact defeats your entire argument.

I have a better one. He was shot with a .45...in the groin, no less. Shell casings were found outside of the home, but some were inside. If a person outside of the home had killed him, all of the casings would have been outside.

The .45 gun holster was found in the bedroom but the gun was missing. Elicia Hughes left the scene with an overnight bag. She was not afraid to carry the evidence with her because the alternative was that she would surely have been discovered to be the murderer at the scene if she hadn't taken the bag of evidence. That is consistent with the spur-of-the-moment crime of passion that the other evidence suggests.

Ivan

Lynnwood, WA

#119 Mar 4, 2012
Innocent wrote:
The cops didn't even interview any neighbors about what they might have heard.
Yes they did, and the information they got was not helpful to Elicia Hughes.
Ivan

Lynnwood, WA

#120 Mar 4, 2012
been there wrote:
my husband cheated on me twice during our first four years of marriage, and we also had two children, so i know how elicia felt. the way i handled the situation is, i went after the women, not to kill them, but kick ass, because they knew we were married and had children.
Who are you? Foxy Brown? Wonder Woman? You can't beat up everybody. What happenes when you run into a woman who truly fears for her life? That's your worst nighmare, because that person gets desperate and ups the ante on you.

Did you ever see the woman on Oprah who did that? One of her targets went into the house, mixed a potent coctail of lye and bleach, ran back outside, and splashed a bucket full of the mixture in the woman's face. She suffered severe burns and disfigurement. This woman was absolutely smokin' hot...one of the prettiest women I have ever seen...could have been a movie star.

But now she lives with her kids telling her, "Mom, you used to be pretty but now you're not pretty anymore", as she explained it on Oprah. And it was all because she behaved in an ugly way. She said to the audience that it wasn't worth it.

The proper response to a cheating spouse or mate is to leave that person. Losing your love will hurt them more than anything else you can ever do. It may take awhile for that person to learn that lesson, but he/she invariably does learn it.
Ivan

Lynnwood, WA

#121 Mar 4, 2012
Mike Knows Better wrote:
Elicia claims when she found Brian she shook him and then felt Blood. After felling(most likely with your hands) the blood (the transferable liquid that will stain anything)and noticing the door was still open she tried to kick it closed, she then stated after getting it close she lock it. That is very big to me that she locked it, I can't lock my door without using my hands, but after felling blood, wouldn't it be all on the door? The defense didn't even approach that point, even after the detective said when he arrived Elicia had no blood visible on her.
...increasing the likelihood that the speck of gunshot residue on her hand was likely a leftover bit that she failed to wash off when she left the scene to clean herself up. This demonstrates that the residue more likely came from firing the murder weapon and NOT feeling Brian's body.
Ivan

Lynnwood, WA

#122 Mar 4, 2012
Facts wrote:
I think her story combined with the facts was enough to find her quilty. You seem to think just as the second jury did, you are thinking about how to change the facts into something that could make her case look better. Cheater and/or drug user, it doesn't make it right for her to kill him. If she didn't do it then which daughter did? THE TWO OR THE FOUR YEAR OLD!!!!!
<quoted text>
Right! It seems that juries these days have turned "beyond a reasonable doubt" into "beyond ALL doubt". It isn't a prosecutor's burden to prove a case beyond all doubt.

Identifying what is "reasonable" entails one thing: asking the question, "Would I as a juror have to spin the facts in the defendant's favor in order to justify acquittal?" If the answer is "yes", then I have artificially increased the prosecution's burden and gone too far.

If the weight of the facts does not conclusively justify a conviction, the person should be acqutted; but a jury should never make ridiculous excuses for every little piece of evidence raised by the prosecution. That can go on forever. As the saying goes, if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck...it's a damn duck.
whattha

Springfield, TN

#123 Mar 6, 2012
Ivan wrote:
<quoted text>
Obviously, you have no idea how JEALOUS WOMEN WORK, or maybe you're a relative of Elicia Hughes. I am a very hard person to convince of a defendant's guilt, especially black defendants, and I say that anyone with a brain knows she did it. The case was properly sewn up the first time around.
I am black, and I was very offended by the use of a racial issue to free her up. The evidence pointed to her guilt. Again, Brian was shot in the groin. drug cartels shoot people in the head, not the groin.
Ivan I hate to burst your bubble, but you're so sure of yourself, people can get in your house, locks are only against honest people. The way he was shot, indicates a struggle with a smaller person, I do know that it's a practice to send younger people,kids to do things for the cartel. A mn with the victims reputation nd into so much. We find shell casings, why would you shoot someone and have shell casings left inside and out. How many balls did he have to shoot at. Just think, if I wanted you to go down for murder, I'd do my best to arrange it. Besides if she did shoot him, which I doubt she did, she'd have hd a place on her hand, a bruise from holding a 45, I used a 357 mag. and it kicked like a mule in high cotton, you'd have more than a little residue left on you. Who was talking to who on the girlfriends phone,do they have the voice recordings of the two, was his girlfriends brother on the phone? was her other man, her future husband smaller than the victim.? they'll never know, the only person who can tell them for sure is dead. Why would she leave the shell casings, and the holster for the gun, are you so sure he didn't have the gun himself, maybe watching for someone? That sounds reasonable.I don't know how many street fights you been in but I know for fact the worse thing you can have is a gun to scare somebody with, accidents can happen, even if you don't mean to hurt somebody, you can. Somebody at the girlfriends house was on the phone,that was all they proved, but who, somebody distracted ,somebody come over to whip his @ss, he had his gun and things got out of hand, the struggle the gun went off is all you know. I'm a person who once i go to sleep, you can run a chainsaw in the house, move the bed and anything else,and not wake me up. Possible the wife wasnt awake, she didn't hear anything. I'm curious about your interest in the situation, who were you to the husband. or to the other woman and her friends.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jackson Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 10 hr TheReal411 21,182
jps bail out 12 hr CALHOON 1
Cammie Rone a Teacher 21 hr Willie Granville 2
Total Transportation Not Good to Work For (Dec '13) Sep 12 James Smith 97
Interracial Couples (Jun '10) Sep 10 Soon to be Fr 31
Nissan Is not an EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER Sep 7 ThomasA 3
News Bond set for teen charged in stabbing, robbery ... Aug 31 Advents 1

Jackson Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Jackson Mortgages