Saint Louis, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 24, 2011

Judged:

In 2007, I fell in love with Jackson and made my home here. I love the civic pride the community has, and aside from an element of snobbery that exists (particularly with some within the school district), I love its small town way of life.
I have noticed one area extremely lacking in Jackson, and that is there is no quality grocery store here. Jackson Walmart never seems to have everything on my weekly grocery list - either out of stock or they simply don't carry many items. Country Mart is perfectly located on the West end of town, easy to access, and has an adequate deli, but unfortunately it has so much against it. It seems dark and dirty, the produce is always limp or on the verge of spoiling, shelf items and meat are either past their expiration date or VERY close to it, and to top off the shopping experience - the front staff consists of young high schoolers who acknowledge and converse only with each other, not the customer. No one bags or offers to help in any way. I always feel as though I'm a dreaded inconvenience who must be tolerated in order to obtain a paycheck. The manager doesn't seem to have a clear idea of customer service, which is the HEART of a grocery store. Frankly, I'm surprised that the community has tolerated this. Country Mart needs a thorough renovation, in business practices as well as appearance and product. Seems to me we'd be MUCH BETTER served with either a Kroger or a Schnuck's at this location - both chains always offer quality, cleanliness, variety, and friendliness. I'm curious as to if any one else has any thoughts to share on this subject?

Jackson, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 24, 2011

I shopped at Country Mart and Wal Mart today. While I have little problem with Wal Mart's variety, their meat is much too high. I agree with everything said about Country Mart. With the exception of a few of the older cashiers who are good. A few weeks ago I have actually had one of the younger cashiers not say one word to me while checking out. She was however having a conversation with a guy standing at the end of the register, he did not work there.

I would LOVE a Kroger. Schnucks is fine, but with one in Cape I think a Kroger would be better. Those of us interested in shopping sales would be better off that way.

Saint Louis, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 24, 2011

guest wrote:
I shopped at Country Mart and Wal Mart today. While I have little problem with Wal Mart's variety, their meat is much too high. I agree with everything said about Country Mart. With the exception of a few of the older cashiers who are good. A few weeks ago I have actually had one of the younger cashiers not say one word to me while checking out. She was however having a conversation with a guy standing at the end of the register, he did not work there.
I would LOVE a Kroger. Schnucks is fine, but with one in Cape I think a Kroger would be better. Those of us interested in shopping sales would be better off that way.
Country Mart has two HUGE strikes against them. Their checkers(I had one who didn't even wait until I was out of the lane and she was texting. and NO she did not say thank you, but I did) and the fact that when you walk by the cafe part, you might as well smoke a pack of cigarettes. Then you smell like you've been in a bar when you leave!

Jackson, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 24, 2011

Publix!!
SICK n TIRED

Fredericktown, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 24, 2011

Not only is the meat at Country mart near expiration or past it, it's also cut and packaged by people with the WORST attitudes I've ever had the displeasure of meeting. It may be a BIT cheaper than Wal-Mart, but you will take a serious blow when it comes to the quality of the product you're taking home to cook for your family.

Cape Girardeau, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 24, 2011

One of the employees stink.

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2011

Jackson snobs
.maemae.

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2011

To be honest, walmart usually always has what I need, & Country mart usually has people helping out with putting things in bags for you at the checkout line.. Idk
I agree

Jackson, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2011

I refuse to EVER return to Country Mart! A few years ago I was working for a inhome company and an elderly client of mine unable to go to the store for herself gave me a list and her food stamp card. So I go to Country Mart get the items she requested and proceed to the checkout. The lady was older with grey hair and after I finished checking out I decided since I was there, Id pick up a carton of cigs for myself. There was noone over there so I politely ask her if she could get them for me. She had a huge chip on her shoulder and was very rude. After paying, as I was walking away, I heard her say people like her make me sick if she wouldnt buy those damn cigarettes she could afford groceries and wouldn't need food samps, maybe she should get off her fat lazy tale and get a job! I paused for a second and then just walked out but I so badly wanted to correct her. I decided to be the better person.
Beautiful

Fort Worth, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2011

guest wrote:
<quoted text>Country Mart has two HUGE strikes against them. Their checkers(I had one who didn't even wait until I was out of the lane and she was texting. and NO she did not say thank you, but I did) and the fact that when you walk by the cafe part, you might as well smoke a pack of cigarettes. Then you smell like you've been in a bar when you leave!
THIS EXACTLY. I've called and complained about the young, idiotic cashiers several times. The manager there is an idiot for keeping them.
teacher

Cape Girardeau, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2011

THE PLACE IS DIRTY AND THE PARKING LOT IS FULL OF TRASH

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 27, 2011

I feel dirty after I go in there like I need to rub hand sanitizer all over my body. the place definitely appeals to a certain demographic.
lolacaust

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 27, 2011

Country mart is a hell hole. Selling shitty products by day providing a safe haven for drug deals at night!
wonderingwhy

Cape Girardeau, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 27, 2011

This shop is awful. Probably the stinkiest and dirtiest grocery store I have ever been to. People trash WalMart but that place is a palace compared to this hole
Smart Shopper

Jackson, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 27, 2011

Judged:

I suggest that everyone who hasn't been to Save-A-Lot within the past couple years, go there now. They have a great produce section and meat department. The cashiers and stockers are really nice and they do all they can to help you. I know they are pretty limited on the items they carry, but they really do have good quality and great service. The new owners have really cleaned up the store since the Maevers sold it.

I haven't been to Country Mart in years because it's disgusting and the cashiers are always in a bad mood. I'm sure I would be too, if I had to work in that gross building.
Fauxpaw

Saint Louis, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 27, 2011

Thanks for the heads-up on Save-A-Lot, I'll definitely give it another go!

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 29, 2011

Just drive the 8 miles to Cape and hit up Aldi...best around.

Cape Girardeau, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 30, 2011

The little teenage punks are the ones that have ruined this store. It used to be the best store. Most of the time you can go in there and there are no adults around. The teenagers are running around doing whatever they please and destroying stuff. It is sad. Their meat all looks rotten too. It used to be the only place I would by produce and meat. I am not even going to waste my time their anymore.
Guest2

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 30, 2011

I agree, Country Mart is not what it used to be. It's dark, unkept, dirty, and the customer service is poor. I went in to purchase two packages of bacon and was approached by an employee (while standing by the bacon) who told me I could only buy one with the store coupon. I told them they could keep both. Really!! It's not as if I was buying a cart load. I believe they need a new manager. The cigarrette smoke will choke you over by the cafe. I used to patron this store twice a week, now I avoid it. I too shop at Save-a-Lot. Friendly employees, clean store an you can use coupons there too! Winning!!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 19 of19
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

10 Users are viewing the Jackson Forum right now

Search the Jackson Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
9486 1 hr The wackness 13
tina ball lankford 6 hr she devil 1
the old jackson waterslide 8 hr Rufus 29
sugar babies 11 hr thatONEdude88 8
Family dollar in Jackson 15 hr guest 3
mondi christmas party (Dec '13) Thu trolldetector 32
johnny newell (Dec '12) Thu someone 50
•••

Flood Warning for Cape Girardeau County was issued at July 11 at 8:23PM CDT