RARE "I Croak for the Jackson Wagon" ...

RARE "I Croak for the Jackson Wagon" 1880's Door Stop

There are 24 comments on the Spatial Ireland story from Mar 2, 2008, titled RARE "I Croak for the Jackson Wagon" 1880's Door Stop. In it, Spatial Ireland reports that:

I CROAK FROG DOOR STOP. C.1880 Vintage cast iron dipped in brass figural door stop, From form inscribed: "I Croak for the Jackson Wagon" on back.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Spatial Ireland.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Chuck

Covington, TN

#22 Sep 3, 2013
I have one as well, here is what the Kovell's had to say about the frog.

Q. A friend of mine has a construction business in Nashville, Tenn. In the process of dismantling an abandoned house not far from Andrew Jackson's home, he found a cast-iron frog. It weighs 31/2 pounds and is about 3 inches tall. An inscription on the frog's back reads "I croak for the Jackson wagon." What does that mean?

A. Collectors used to think this frog was related to Andrew Jackson's campaigns for president in 1828 and 1832. The gift shop at The Hermitage, Jackson's home, even sold reproductions of the famed frog. But in 1980, a researcher at the Smithsonian Institution discovered that the frog was an 1880s advertising premium for a wagon company in Jackson, Mich. An original advertising frog is valued at $200 to $300 today.
Margaret

West Chicago, IL

#23 Oct 10, 2013
I have a Jackson Wheel frog but it is cast in brass. Is this a reproduction? Were the originals all cast iron?
Tom

Kansas City, KS

#24 Dec 19, 2013
I also have one and live in Kansas City on the Kansas side. Is this item for Andrew Jackson run for President? Also would be of interest how much it is worth. If for Andy Jackso, got to worth more than above poster mentioned.
Wanda Hesson

Faith, NC

#25 Jun 16, 2014
My mother has one. Writing is clear & it is solid cast iron (very heavy). She has had it for 30 yrs. Can anyone advice us of it's value??

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jackson Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Milf for Thursday Night Jul '15 WorkTrip22 1
MISSING GIRL: POSSIBLE Location ..flint or jackson Jul '15 jan2281 1
Looking for friends of deceased Bob Munn Jul '15 Former pal 1
Dr Don's Famous Door (Jun '14) Jun '15 Scott Rodics 4
News Do you favor new laws and regulations for strip... (Feb '15) Jun '15 Scott Rodics 5
Review: New ERA Body Works Jun '15 Scott Rodics 1
grass lake guys drive loud trucks. doesnt make... Jun '15 customer 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Jackson Mortgages