RARE "I Croak for the Jackson Wagon" 1880's Door Stop

Full story: Spatial Ireland

I CROAK FROG DOOR STOP. C.1880 Vintage cast iron dipped in brass figural door stop, From form inscribed: "I Croak for the Jackson Wagon" on back.
Comments
1 - 20 of 24 Comments Last updated Jun 16, 2014
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
carolj585

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 7, 2008

how do I receive the full story?
Gerald McNerney

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 1, 2008

I have one of these. Is it worth anything? I appeares to just be cast iron, no brass
Don Rogers

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 6, 2008

carolj585 wrote:
how do I receive the full story?
I believe we have one of these frogs also/ Does any one know a value?

When and where was this article posted?
Ron Davis

Fort Walton Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 20, 2009

Gerald McNerney wrote:
I have one of these. Is it worth anything? I appeares to just be cast i
on, no brass
I also have one of cast iron. Do you know the orgin of " I croak for the Jackson wagon" and its value?
Stan Piper

Sydney, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2009

I have one of these too. Had it for years. I live in Queensland, Australia
jasmine allen

Lewiston, ID

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 23, 2010

My great grandmother found mine in a pile of dirt my great grandpa dug.I am 4th cousins to p.t barnum
Bob

Dearborn, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 13, 2010

Stan Piper wrote:
I have one of these too. Had it for years. I live in Queensland, Australia
My grandfather would be thrilled, The frog was cast in his foundry in Jackson Mi USA. The Jackson wagon was the light pick up wagon of the day
Bob

Dearborn, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 13, 2010

Don Rogers wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe we have one of these frogs also/ Does any one know a value?
When and where was this article posted?
Don; Your frog is not very far from home, it was cast in my grandfathers foundry in Jackson Mi. Value is in the eye or the big toe of the owner.Want to sell it? Bob lonesomebob@comcast.net
Bob

Dearborn, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 13, 2010

jasmine allen wrote:
My great grandmother found mine in a pile of dirt my great grandpa dug.I am 4th cousins to p.t barnum
I am grandson to the man who cast them, Cast in Jackson Mi at the holton foundry. Bob Holton
Kerry Guenter

Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 25, 2010

My parents, who live in Burns Lake, British Columbia, have one. The printing is indistinct and for years we have been trying to figure out what it said. This mystery is finally solved. All we could read for sure was "I croaked", which is what I googled and found out about this frog. These seem to have made their way around the world. George E.Allen is listed as a wagonmaker in Holton, Michigan in 1880. Does anyone (especially Bob Holton) know if Geo.Allen made the Jackson wagon? As the town only had three hundred residents, there probably wasn't more than one wagonmaker. Regards,Kerry
Bob

Dearborn, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 26, 2010

Gerald McNerney wrote:
I have one of these. Is it worth any
th
It was cast in Jackson Mi,in the late 1880" cast in my grandfathers foundry, jackson wagon was a light ,pickup type wagon. value is in the belief of the owner. lonesomebob@comcast.net Bob
Bob

Dearborn, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 26, 2010

To all who want info on the I croak for thr Jackson wagon frog. It was cast in the city of Jackson Michigan. In my grandfathers foundry. Holton Mi is another city some miles west. The Jackson wagon was Called a Democrat wagon or a light ,pick up wagon. The foundry and the Holton Dam are now gone.These are scattered all over the world I do believe. If you have ever kicked one in the night,then you know all its other names. value is in the eye of the owner. If you wish i may be contacted at ,lonesomebob@comcast.net There some funny stories about these frogs and their uses. Bob
Bob

Dearborn, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 5, 2010

Anyone want to sell a frog? contact me at lonesomebob@comcast.net
dave

Bridgman, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 10, 2010

Hey Bob,
Saw on a Heritage Auctions page one of these frogs sell for $145.00...I'm going to list mine on eBay, give it a look! 10/10/10.
Dave
Gerald McNerney

Burlington, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2010

Bob wrote:
To all who want info on the I croak for thr Jackson wagon frog. It was cast in the city of Jackson Michigan. In my grandfathers foundry. Holton Mi is another city some miles west. The Jackson wagon was Called a Democrat wagon or a light ,pick up wagon. The foundry and the Holton Dam are now gone.These are scattered all over the world I do believe. If you have ever kicked one in the night,then you know all its other names. value is in the eye of the owner. If you wish i may be contacted at ,lonesomebob@comcast.net There some funny stories about these frogs and their uses. Bob
Bob, my daughter lives in Jackson and I think I will give it to her. She may be interested in the history. Mine is cast iron but the writing is very clear on it.
Bob

Manchester Township, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 12, 2011

We have one "I croak for the Webster wagon" Is it from MI?
SirchKismet

Athens, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 10, 2011

Bob wrote:
We have one "I croak for the Webster wagon" Is it from MI?
It is believed that the Webster frog comes from the Webster Wagon Co., Manufacturers of FARM, FREIGHT, LUMBER & PLANTATION WAGONS, MOUNDSVILLE, WEST VIRGINIA.
Ray

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 21, 2012

I purchased some property on the Cowlitz River in WA, State and was clearing brush and found one in beautiful shape! Great history (:
Steve W

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 28, 2013

SirchKismet wrote:
<quoted text>
It is believed that the Webster frog comes from the Webster Wagon Co., Manufacturers of FARM, FREIGHT, LUMBER & PLANTATION WAGONS, MOUNDSVILLE, WEST VIRGINIA.
I also have a Frog that says I CROAK FOR THE WEBSTER WAGON.
I think my dad got it probably around 1950 when he ran an Auto Wrecking and Scrap Yard in Newcomerstown Ohio.
Dorothy

Champlin, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 16, 2013

I have one of these frogs, I got it from my mother-in-law. Most of the green is gone but you can read the name on it perfectly. I am willing to sell, are you still interested?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Jackson Discussions

Search the Jackson Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
MI 2010 Michigan Primary Election: Did you vote? (Aug '10) 21 hr gottondas 5,482
MI Who do you support for Secretary of State in Mi... (Oct '10) Jul 7 maeball 169
MI Michigan Felon Politician Ban Amendment, Propos... (Oct '10) Jun 25 lulubell 302
Dr Don's Famous Door Jun '14 curious 1
Review: Kwaske Construction May '14 satisfied customer 1
Review: Century 21 Jester & Associates (Oct '13) May '14 Anonymous 2
In Service: Jackson area military announcements... May '14 Kevin 1
•••
•••
•••
•••

Jackson Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••