What % u r supposed to tip

What % u r supposed to tip

Posted in the Jackson Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Server
#1 Jan 15, 2013
I have waited tables for a long time and I know that most people dont realize they are tipping badly. Five dollars isnt always a good tip. Its not your fault, its just that maybe u didnt know. Servers typically only make around 2.15 an hour and depend on tips. The idea, your tip depends on the total of your bill. The expected tip is 15% to 25% of the total of your check. If you are at a nice restaurant and your bill is 100 bucks, then you should tip no less than 15 dollars. If you had excellent service, then a 20% tip is expected. Another thing that som people do not realize is that if u are at a nice place and have eight or more people in your group, then the restaurant automatically adds 15 to 20% grutuity to your ticket. Now again for great service, some decide to tip on top of that. I was serving at a fine dining restaurant and recieved a 350 tip on one table. But I worked really hard on that table, taking food out to their limo driver and then their lil girl got sick. I cleaned the lil girl up and cleaned it all up telling them it was ok. My ticket for the table already had a 50 tip added to it and they gave me 300 on top of that. Im not saying everyone tip like that but go by the percentages. Unless, you have terrible service. In that case, u need to speak to a manager. Thank u
agree

West Liberty, KY

#2 Jan 15, 2013
I was talking to my mother the other night about tipping. I was telling her that most people dont realize that waitresses and waiters don't get but 2 something an hour. THey are expected to make the rest up in tips. If they don't then the resturant has to make up the difference to make it min wage.
I think all resturants should have the tip included in the bill. But at the same time the resturant should make sure thier staff is doing thier job if they do this. I have seen people leave a big mess and then leave no tip. You could tell by the way they presented themselves, they were educated and well off. I get so mad when that happens. I have never worked as a waitress but I know it is hard work.
What I don't like is when the resturant makes the waitress share thier tips evenly with all the staff on that shift. This happens at most of our state resort resturants.
East KY Guy

United States

#3 Jan 16, 2013
Around here, I usually tip $1.00 per person. This is for adults only and not kids. That usually covers it in this area. If it is a nice place, I tip 10% up to $7.00. I never tip more than $7.00! My usual tip is around $2.00.
Humanity
#4 Jan 16, 2013
U are supposed to tip no less than 15%. They are doing you a service and remember, they remember bad tippers and these are people who handle your food. I have worked in alot of restaurants and they take it out on your food if u are rude or tip badly. I never did. Except for this one guy that came in. He came in with a different girl every week. The girl always paid for the meal which was expensive. The woman would leave a tip on the table and he would tell her to go on out to the car cause he had to go to the restroom and then he would pocket the tip. So, the next time he came in, I about let him choke to death before i would get him some tea, with only one ice cube of course. He ordered mushroom soup and I drenched the bottom with sour cream. lol And I was a good server who always gave good service so imagine what others who dont care as much would do. They always remember you and they pass it on to other servers. They work hard. Just tip at least 15% and u will be fine. The expected tip for good service is 20% now. Two dollars or a buck per person is an awful tip.
Reality

Tucker, GA

#5 Jan 16, 2013
Humanity wrote:
U are supposed to tip no less than 15%. They are doing you a service and remember, they remember bad tippers and these are people who handle your food. I have worked in alot of restaurants and they take it out on your food if u are rude or tip badly. I never did. Except for this one guy that came in. He came in with a different girl every week. The girl always paid for the meal which was expensive. The woman would leave a tip on the table and he would tell her to go on out to the car cause he had to go to the restroom and then he would pocket the tip. So, the next time he came in, I about let him choke to death before i would get him some tea, with only one ice cube of course. He ordered mushroom soup and I drenched the bottom with sour cream. lol And I was a good server who always gave good service so imagine what others who dont care as much would do. They always remember you and they pass it on to other servers. They work hard. Just tip at least 15% and u will be fine. The expected tip for good service is 20% now. Two dollars or a buck per person is an awful tip.
It is not our job to make up for low wages. These people choose their profession. A tip is just that....something extra. Anything should be appreciated. You could get no tip at all!
to the ignorant

Winchester, KY

#6 Jan 16, 2013
I am appalled that someone would deny a waiter or waitress a tip or think a dollar per person is within reason. A tip should be based on the dollar amount of your order plus service. This poor tipping indicates you lack manners and thoughtfulness. And if you don't have the money to leave a decent tip then you shouldn't be dining out in the first place. No, I have never been a waitress but I do respect the very difficult job they do. Most are very deserving of a good tip.
agree

West Liberty, KY

#7 Jan 16, 2013
Most people around here have do idea how hard it is to be a waitress. They also don't understand how some resturants will try thier best to beat thier staff from getting what they deserve.
I look at it this way, if you can't afford to leave a tip then make sure you are not demanding and leave your area clean. Especially if you have a family. I realize that not everyone can afford to leave a tip. But if you can afford to eat out on a regular basis then you can tip.
Darling Diner

United States

#8 Jan 16, 2013
I leave a dollar or two if I got good service and the food was tasty. I don't have money to throw away. I don't make a lot of money but I like to go out and eat every now and then. I tip something. A dollar or two is better than nothing.
Wise

United States

#9 Jan 16, 2013
You should tip 10% for service, 15% for good service, and 20% for great service. But that is only at a fine restaurant. If it is a corporate chain (Applebee's, O'Charley's, etc.) then a dollar or two per person is acceptable. If it is fast food, the workers should give you a tip for eating there!
you can

Campton, KY

#10 Jan 16, 2013
If they want to make more money, they should get an education and a real career. Leave the waitress jobs for kids and those who can't do any better. In this economy, restaurants are lucky to have any customers at all.

A buck or two at pizza hut is all I'll give.
Money

United States

#11 Jan 17, 2013
If a person wants to make a lot of money, they don't work as a waitress. I'm sorry, but they chose to work as a waitress knowing that it doesn't pay that well. That's life. Nobody held a gun to their heads.
The way it should be

Prestonsburg, KY

#12 Jan 17, 2013
A tip is supposed to be a gift to show appreciation for good service. It should not be considered as a part of a server's wages.

Full-service restaurants should be required to pay their servers minimum wage like any other business. McDonald's has to pay minimum wage, why should Applebee's not also be required to? In a perfect world, tips should be given only if the service was worthy of a tip.

You're not expected to give a tip to the pump jockey if you buy gas at a full-service gas station. And yes, there are a few of them around, like Swifty and everywhere in New Jersey because they don't allow self-serve gas. So why should you be expected to give a tip to the server, waiter or waitress?

As for me, I generally tip around 15 percent because that's pretty much the standard. It's easy to calculate. Take 10 percent and then half that. If your meal is $15, then $1.50 plus 75 cents. That's $2.25. In that situation I'd probably round up the total and leave three $1 bills.
Wwtwd

Macon, GA

#13 Jan 17, 2013
A few bucks is enough for a tip. Especially at restaurants around here. If a waiter gets a 350 dollar tip then it's some old guy trying to get some dessert...
Truth

United States

#14 Jan 17, 2013
I never tip. I guess I might tip a dollar if the waitress was real cute!
Ur hat

United States

#15 Jan 18, 2013
Tip ur hat and say thnak ya maum
Humanity
#16 Jan 19, 2013
I waited tables at a fine restaurant and I made really good money. I made anywhere from 500 to 700 a week. I waited tables while attending college as many do. Hell, I got a 350 tip on one table. So, some servers do make food money. They work very hard for it though. If you do not know how to tip that it is simply assumed that you just do not know what is expected and that you have not been in a nice place often.
what

Columbus, OH

#17 Jan 20, 2013
you are a cheap basteeeerd if you don't tip 20 percent unless service is terrible.. if you want look like a cheap and ignorant azz leave a buck.. if you cant afford it don't eat out.
look

United States

#18 Jan 20, 2013
Some people barely have extra money to eat out occasionally, so a couple bucks is enough for a tip.
Truth

United States

#19 Jan 20, 2013
I agree. A good waiter/waitress would appreciate any tip. Even a dollar or two. They should just be thankful that they have a job.
Humanity
#20 Jan 21, 2013
You should know and set aside extra money for the tip when you decide to go out to eat. It simply is in bad taste to tip poorly. It makes you look bad and I promise they will remember you. The next time you go there it is untelling what u may get in your food. Pissing off your server is like pissing off your tatoo artist, u never know what u r going to get. Eat at your own risk. It shows ignorance.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jackson Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Name the top 10 crook in history of Breathitt Co 24 min XXX 4
Pj 2 hr Little pee 4
Thanks for the video Gerrica lol 2 hr Bystander 5
Trump Voters losing Black Lung Benefits 2 hr Free ride 20
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 3 hr Big Dick 160,690
towns dead 6 hr lesser 5
Holly Hollan & Dougie Byrd 10 hr FL bound 7

Jackson Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Jackson Mortgages