First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Fed up

United States

#1 Sep 6, 2012
I've got news for you people hiding behind Topix and slandering people.. People are getting sick of having their names slandered on Topix and especially from chickens who post and don't want to give their names. If you think you can't be stopped on Topix, well,you can.http://abcnews.go.com/Tech nology/topix-innocent-mans-lif e-destroyed-anonymous-online-p oster/story?id=15963310. Go to this website and you will find out different. You can get a lawyer, who will get the IP address, and if it comes to the point that you have caused someone to lose their job, embarrass their children, cause health problems etc...you will be held accountable. So, whether what you post is true or not..you better get your facts straight before you say anything about anyone.
just fyi

Winchester, KY

#2 Sep 6, 2012
1. It's libel, not slander.
2. Your link is broken.
Hot To Trot

Pikeville, KY

#3 Sep 6, 2012
3. it's not libel or slander if its the truth.
Thank you

Georgetown, KY

#4 Sep 6, 2012
Fed up wrote:
I've got news for you people hiding behind Topix and slandering people.. People are getting sick of having their names slandered on Topix and especially from chickens who post and don't want to give their names. If you think you can't be stopped on Topix, well,you can.http://abcnews.go.com/Tech nology/topix-innocent-mans-lif e-destroyed-anonymous-online-p oster/story?id=15963310. Go to this website and you will find out different. You can get a lawyer, who will get the IP address, and if it comes to the point that you have caused someone to lose their job, embarrass their children, cause health problems etc...you will be held accountable. So, whether what you post is true or not..you better get your facts straight before you say anything about anyone.
It is good that you posted this information. Yes, the horrible things being said about people on here discusts me. I myself do not post on this site to hurt anyone. And never will. I ignore the
ignorant post. Honestly, I know people are lying. So, I dont believe what the liars are posting. I hope you are not worrying
about what is being posted. People have learned not to believe anything slanderous on here. Very few even view the site anymore.
I think alot of people are sick of it as well. Since some people cant use this site for positive discussions, I think I will stop trying to discuss anything on here. When you try to have a decent discussion, it get turned and twisted. So I am done with topix. Just know that people in general truly do not believe the horrible posts.
Hot To Trot

Pikeville, KY

#5 Sep 6, 2012
and if this about Wallace who ever has been posting those things is an idiot, I know Wallace and his family they are all good people, and would do anything to help anyone who asked, I don't believe a word of whats been posted on here about him.

as for the Pill Sellers I've been posting about that stuff is true, I've sat her and watched this county go to sh!t because of all the drugs and stuff going on and the "law" around here doesn't do a damn thing about it. I'm fed up with it and I'm not going to put up with it anymore. it's rather pathetic when a normal everyday citizen has to get on the internet and do the job of the local law enforcement. because they are clearly incompetent enough to keep the druggies off the streets more then 2 weeks at a time.
Fed up

Little Valley, NY

#6 Sep 6, 2012
just fyi wrote:
1. It's libel, not slander.
2. Your link is broken.
We all know what libel and slander mean. The libel turns into slander on the streets for those who live on Topix. Anyone who has been libeled and slandered type in (abc news and topix )and it will pull the story up about the man who was libeled by a woman he barely knew. Her lies caused him to lose his job and his reputation. Even if what someone prints is true if you cause harm to that person or that persons family then you are responsible for your actions. Topix was not developed as a gossip arena, in fact it was a way for people to discuss the important political and cultural activities in the communities. People turned it into what it is today. So, the next time you want to post something about someone and you sit behind your computer screen and smirk and laugh and say to yourself boy, I got them, well, find the right person with the right amount of money and your face may be plastered on the front of a newspaper or on the news for being the first person in Breathitt County having to take responsibility for what you posted on Topix. It may take months or even years but this libeling of people has got to stop.
just fyi

Winchester, KY

#7 Sep 6, 2012
Fed up wrote:
<quoted text> We all know what libel and slander mean. The libel turns into slander on the streets for those who live on Topix. Anyone who has been libeled and slandered type in (abc news and topix )and it will pull the story up about the man who was libeled by a woman he barely knew. Her lies caused him to lose his job and his reputation. Even if what someone prints is true if you cause harm to that person or that persons family then you are responsible for your actions. Topix was not developed as a gossip arena, in fact it was a way for people to discuss the important political and cultural activities in the communities. People turned it into what it is today. So, the next time you want to post something about someone and you sit behind your computer screen and smirk and laugh and say to yourself boy, I got them, well, find the right person with the right amount of money and your face may be plastered on the front of a newspaper or on the news for being the first person in Breathitt County having to take responsibility for what you posted on Topix. It may take months or even years but this libeling of people has got to stop.
And I agree with all of that. I don't bother posting anything defamatory on here anyway. I don't see the fascination with hurting people. I may be a smart ass, but I honestly don't give a sh*t what people do as long as they don't hurt me or my family. If someone does, then I'll take it up with them personally or let the law handle it.

I've said it before, the people who start gossip on here are trolls, and all they're doing is showing that they just got internet last week and don't know how to behave on the net. It's laughable, and they are pathetic. I wish they'd discover 4chan and try that crap on there. 4chan is the one site you don't dare antagonize people, because the hackers on there can find out who you are within a few hours, and then heaven help you.
just fyi

Winchester, KY

#8 Sep 6, 2012
In fact, I think I shall start posting a link to /b/ on 4chan on gossip threads, saying, "go here to really get the word out." LOL
Even

Macon, GA

#9 Sep 6, 2012
Even if they do get the IP address that doesn't mean the owner of the website is the one who has posted. I know I have caught my old neighbors connected to my wireless Internet because I did not know you could block them with a password. So how can that work. What if they are posting from Wendy's or McDonalds or another wifi
In many cases

Lebanon, KY

#10 Sep 6, 2012
While I agree that one should not get on here and make hurtful statements, I suspect that some of what is posted is true. You have heard the saying, "where there's smoke, there's fire". Posting these cruel statements may be the only way someone can get attention called to impropreties taking place.
rue

Prestonsburg, KY

#11 Sep 6, 2012
Sound like someone is guilty I think somebody is f+--- around
just think

Hyden, KY

#12 Sep 6, 2012
i just think that this website is a cowardly way of saying mean things about a person. if a person feels that strong about a person or their actions then approach that person in a proper manner. dont get on an annomyous site and post untrue things that can hurt people or cause them problems. be man or woman enough to face that person and tell them whats bothering you about them.
Hillbilly Justice

Russell Springs, KY

#13 Sep 6, 2012
just fyi wrote:
In fact, I think I shall start posting a link to /b/ on 4chan on gossip threads, saying, "go here to really get the word out." LOL
What is 4chan? I have never heard of it.
just fyi

Winchester, KY

#14 Sep 6, 2012
Hillbilly Justice wrote:
<quoted text>
What is 4chan? I have never heard of it.
4chan is an image and message board, but it's the most notorious on the internet. Anything goes, there are no rules other than a ban on posting child abuse images. The so called internet terrorist group Anonymous got its start there.

Some of the things 4chan or Anonymous has done:
The widespread protests of Scientology
Hacking Sara Palin's email
Hacking and taking down several U.S. government websites in protest of the SOPA bill.

If 4chan decides to find out who someone is, that person is as good as found. For example, a video was uploaded online showing a young girl throwing live puppies into a river. The collective of 4chan were outraged and swore to find her. A day later, they did. In Bosnia.

http://www.thefrisky.com/2010-08-31/4chans-bi...

The bus monitor that was harassed by a group of boys. 4chan found the boys.

4chan is really impossible to explain. This does the best job.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-10520487

Basically, if they decide to harass you, you're screwed. It's going to happen.
rue

Prestonsburg, KY

#15 Sep 6, 2012
That called freedom of speech I guess you'll be getting a public deferred and used the working people money. Very smart idea
just fyi

Winchester, KY

#16 Sep 6, 2012
And oh yes, they also started the Occupy Wall Street movement.
rue

Prestonsburg, KY

#17 Sep 6, 2012
What office are you running for. The redneck don't understand what you are talking about. If YOU are so smart Why are you on topics
just fyi

Winchester, KY

#18 Sep 6, 2012
rue wrote:
What office are you running for. The redneck don't understand what you are talking about. If YOU are so smart Why are you on topics
I'm sorry. I missed the part where you were part of the conversation. The person asked me a question, I answered it the best I could. If he doesn't understand then he's in good company, because NO ONE "understands" 4chan. Nowhere did I ask for you to try to insult either him or me. Thank you and have a nice day.
winston

Nerinx, KY

#19 Sep 6, 2012
This has been a good thread. Hope you keep posting. Maybe the overall use of the site will evolve for the better over time.
nonsense

United States

#20 Sep 6, 2012
In many cases wrote:
While I agree that one should not get on here and make hurtful statements, I suspect that some of what is posted is true. You have heard the saying, "where there's smoke, there's fire". Posting these cruel statements may be the only way someone can get attention called to impropreties taking place.
Listen, you people are missing the whole point. It doesn't matter if it's true or not,a person is a coward who uses topix to talk about other people. When the Breathitt Message Board first started people were getting on there and doing the same thing they do on Topix now until they were told that they had to give their name. Nobody posted anymore, because they couldn't hide behind the computer with their gossip and lies.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jackson Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Blue fugate who are they 1 hr Cindy 2
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 1 hr Patriot 166,449
Hoss Melton 2 hr I laughed till I ... 13
same shit 3 hr Wondering 7
Looking for a red headed guy 4 hr Adam 2
Jobs in Breathitt County 4 hr sad 3
Jimmy and David Haddix I wonder whatever happen... 5 hr Dontdropthesoap 2

Jackson Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Jackson Mortgages