Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 Full story: The Courier-Journal 131,050

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Full Story

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#111859 Aug 28, 2013
stuck in a lodi wrote:
<quoted text>Didn't say you personally done the study, just wanted to know where you acquired your information. Not doubting it was in some paper. Did that study specify what PRE-TEEN was? Q posted some data collected over a period of years, which I think was the rarest of pre-teen pregnancies. Take a lQQk-see when you get a chance. Interesting study there too. I posted another link that had data collected up in the infancy of 2010, still didn't show Ky being #1 in Teen pregnancy, and it stands to reason if they are highest in pre teen, same would apply to teen as well, but of course it all stems on the age block they consider in the study.
No no. I don't waste my time doing studies. I work for a living. I don't get paid to do studies so you will never hear me say that. Studying religions definitely, but that's not the same thing as performing a study for statistical data.
I believe it was including 14 and under but I don't remember.

Location hidden

#111860 Aug 28, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Ah, yet another excuse for your absentee god.
I need no child to die for no apparent reason in order for me to know bad or appreciate life.
I do not expect to be protected by a god, and clearly no god is protecting anyway.
Life is just like no god exists.

There is suffering and there is insane suffering. Do we really need the insane suffering going on constantly just to remind us how wonderful we have it?
Sorry. Shouldn't have served you meat yet.

Location hidden

#111861 Aug 28, 2013
stuck in a lodi wrote:
<quoted text>Not necessarily (joe) I see now whatcha saying... Ok first,... Pulaski could have been higest in the STATE of KENTUCKY but not when compared to the NATION'S AVERAGE..
It could have been a scare tactic for a wake up call to bad parents. I remember it saying Pulaski was the worst for it and KY was one of the worst states for it and the US was the worst country for it. So basically it was saying hideya kids, hideya wives ...

Location hidden

#111862 Aug 28, 2013
stuck in a lodi wrote:
Well that's just great JOe...you "black eye" our lil state by saying our pre teen girls are doing more than pretending to play house, then say, well I don't have that paper anymore. How am I to defend our lil angels now? I'm gonna hafta make a trip to the Library and research their newspaper archives. Demmitt
Hahaha. Sorry. I really didn't mean to upset you with all this.

Location hidden

#111863 Aug 28, 2013
stuck in a lodi wrote:
<quoted text>Back The Fac UP Joe.... That statement coming from YOU???

Now that's damn hilarious!!!
Haha, I thought you would find that funny.

“Breaking the spell ”

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

#111864 Aug 28, 2013
Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>A fool in his heart says...
You Prove God's existence with EVERY post!
:-)
You say this as if the bibles claim of someone denying a god means they really are a fool. Of course the believers who wrote the bible think non believers are fools. But that is not proof of anything other than a difference in opinion.

To use the bibles claims like this as evidence is foolish.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#111865 Aug 28, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry. Shouldn't have served you meat yet.
So you can avoid taking the outsiders test? I see. If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#111866 Aug 28, 2013
aWitchintheWoods wrote:
<quoted text>
They weren't even holes, just "lines."
Yaa said, "when I took my jacket off, there were two lead lines
straight down my back 1/4" appart, and starting at mid, to lower shoulder
blade!"
He probably leaned against something and got his jacket dirty.
But he would rather believe that "god" protected him.
Strokes his ego.
Reminds me of a possible motive for Joseph Smith's claims of a god leading him to golden tablets.
Ego's.

The Mormon apologetics will say no one would make this story up due to likely persecution. I guess they do not consider how humans do not always take all possible repercussions into consideration and some will even take the repercussions for the rewards of power. It is the human way.

Apologetic's like this forget their are many possible answers to the situation. It amazes me that they would claim it is impossible that ego could be a motive but god handing over golden tablets is so plausible.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#111867 Aug 28, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>First, it makes no logical sense that people of those times could not follow the philosophy you follow now.
Now lets keep in mind, humans learn by example.
So this tale being in the bible is highly likely to be teaching one to murder in mass. We know by history it has happened. We know by reading the bible Moses took it upon himself to have troops kill the innocent kids and women many times.
You have your apologetics down pretty well, but it still does not cut the mustard with reality.
If I was all powerful and a robot builder, I would not need to murder my robots, I would just reprogram them with my words as I did the first time.
Evidently this is deeper than Du What can go.
Clearly the official apologetic keeps him from asking questions that are of the outsiders test. Or at least anything below the surface questions.
Since he will not continue the debate, I can see he rests his case upon god having the double standard. God can and murder, people cannot.
Clear double standards.
And yet he wonders why we do not just dive in and try to have faith.
Evidently it takes double standards to have faith. So I suppose that is my curse, I have consistent standards, thus I cannot have faith.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#111868 Aug 28, 2013
Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>Weiner!
Amazing how you just did what was accused of you. I am sure you do not even know.

ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
BS, you tiresome little man. You excuse every lie and foible of the Republicans and condemn every breath of a Democrat. You don't stand for anything good, you're just another cheerleader for partisanship.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#111869 Aug 28, 2013
Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>And this is a perfect example of a man assigning the attributes of a being
he denies to himself!
You... do not know what happened, you THINK you know!
I on the other hand, was there, was Saved by Christ, was
Told by God to look into my life for this proof...
You know what I think???
You just cant stand it... To know someone achieved something you
did not!
You either didn't achieve salvation for lack of desire, or...
You did, and satan led you away like he did me!
Only... I hope it doesn't take you 40 years to get back on track...
We don't have that kind of time!
Thanks for telling us what you think is going on in my brain.
From what I understand of your myth of the Christ is, his death made for all humanities salvation. Now are you taking this mythological claim back from the official Christian dogma?

So from my understanding, I have salvation if the story is true, no matter if I believe the story or not. So why would I be upset or jealous?

I have explained my motives for debating your beliefs many times. I do it with most every post in an indirect way.

I do not know if you were shot in the head twice, but I do doubt it happened due to the evidence you presented. Due to your testimony, it sounds like you quickly jump to conclusions of miracles from a god. You obviously do not take other possibilities into serious consideration.
This trend of assumptions leads me to believe all your god experiences were a false jump to conclusions.
In ancient times, the people were all as superstitious as yourself and jumped to the conclusion of godly miracles.
With little science comes jumps to conclusions that are more likely false. If you think magic happens from a god, then you likely jump to this conclusion.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#111870 Aug 28, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>Do you want to go back to the draft? Today's military is 100% voluntary; if atheists and liberals wanted to join, they could. They just don't seem to want to demonstrate their patriotism like religious conservatives do.
Good thing Obama has no fear of using the overwhelminly religious and conservative military when enemies use weapons of mass destruction. I wonder if he'll recover more chemical, biological or radiation munitions than Bush.
Religion is used to bolster patriotism. Religion is born of patriotism. Religion is born of politics. Religion is a tool to fight war.
The concept of an afterlife just made it easier for the war mongering leaders to send troops off to war. The promises of paradise to the martyrs works wonders for the leaders.

Bush found no WMD's as he sent tens of thousands to be maimed and killed.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#111871 Aug 28, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
We know that your definition of "patriotism" is to watch Faux News and burn more domestic fossil fuels.'Nuff said.
Being gullible or duplicitous gives no honor or glory to Christ and I won't sully the blood, sweat, and sacrifices of veterans by claiming that they are patriots because they love Jesus.
By "religious and conservative military," do you mean any member of the Romney clan, or the ever-growing list of chickenhawks? Since you mention the draft, what are the odds of someone obtaining a CO status based on the grounds that they are a pacifist atheist? " " " " a pacifist Christian?
All anyone needs to do is >find< WMDs and he'll have passed Bush's record.
Christian conservatives think the end is near, as YaA says, so burn baby burn.
I am sure he think these middle east situations are all part of the plan of god for this end.

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#111872 Aug 28, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Amazing how you just did what was accused of you. I am sure you do not even know.
Why on Earth would YaA have quoted MLK, Jr.? Adding (or should I say 'addle-ing') insult to injury?
YaA would swear that conservatism is what stood solidly for the civil rights movement. What he doesn't recall is that it was standing BEfore it with tear gas and night sticks.

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#111873 Aug 28, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Christian conservatives think the end is near, as YaA says, so burn baby burn.
I am sure he think these middle east situations are all part of the plan of god for this end.
I don't care if they call themselves Christian, Jewish, Muslim, Republican, Democrat or pink with purple polkadot-ites. Religious and/or political fundamentalism is/are social and mental disease.

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

#111874 Aug 28, 2013
Jesus doesn't care how many bible verses you have memorized.

He cares about how you treat people...

that nose you look down..

Hypernyms (to "lead by the nose" is one way to...):

betray; deceive; lead astray (cause someone to believe an untruth)

http://www.yourdictionary.com/lead-by-the-nos...

Let the 'daughter'& mother
CHANGE her ways!
NOT the WHOLE church!

Since: Aug 13

Location hidden

#111875 Aug 28, 2013
Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>A fool in his heart says...
You Prove God's existence with EVERY post!
:-)
I am curious, how so? Really, not getting at you, just interested to know how this person's post of "There is no god" means there is one...
SistaNoneYaBiz

London, KY

#111876 Aug 28, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Religion is used to bolster patriotism. Religion is born of patriotism. Religion is born of politics. Religion is a tool to fight war.
The concept of an afterlife just made it easier for the war mongering leaders to send troops off to war. The promises of paradise to the martyrs works wonders for the leaders.
Bush found no WMD's as he sent tens of thousands to be maimed and killed.
Bullchit...and bullchit.
(and this isn't even counting the documented cases we haveN'T seen)

There were weapons of mass destruction in Iraq after all.

The massive cache of almost 400,000 Iraq war documents released by the WikiLeaks Web site revealed that small amounts of chemical weapons were found in Iraq and continued to surface for years after the 2003 US invasion, Wired magazine reported.

The documents showed that US troops continued to find chemical weapons and labs for years after the invasion, including remnants of Saddam Hussein's chemical weapons arsenal -- most of which had been destroyed following the Gulf War.

In August 2004, American troops were able to buy containers from locals of what they thought was liquid sulfur mustard, a blister agent, the documents revealed. The chemicals were triple-sealed and taken to a secure site.

Also in 2004, troops discovered a chemical lab in a house in Fallujah during a battle with insurgents. A chemical cache was also found in the city.
----------

When having an outdoor bit of lunch, do you prefer a picnic table, or ground seating, with some freshly starched gingham placemats?

Absolute power corrupts absolutely, and then trickles on down to do the same.

“Question, Explore, Discover”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#111877 Aug 28, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>Do you want to go back to the draft? Today's military is 100% voluntary; if atheists and liberals wanted to join, they could. They just don't seem to want to demonstrate their patriotism like religious conservatives do.
Good thing Obama has no fear of using the overwhelminly religious and conservative military when enemies use weapons of mass destruction. I wonder if he'll recover more chemical, biological or radiation munitions than Bush.
No, of course I don't want a draft. Compulsory military service is morally wrong, IMHO. So is this fake idea of "patriotism" the Right Wing peddles. Patriotism itself is not a virtue, it's obedience to a state. I have little use for it.

I do wish the military included a broader mix of people. But some types of people are drawn to military ideas and others are not. People with a more authoritarian view of the world tend to be more likely to enlist. And authoritarianism overlaps strongly with conservative ideology. So naturally the military has a lot of conservatives in it. Also, given that fact, there is a sort of feedback loop going on. The military culture, being composed primarily of conservative and/or authoritarian people creates a comfortable environment for that type of person.

If you are more of a liberal-minded person it is probably harder to fit into that environment. They do exist, of course. There are all sorts of people in the military. It's just that the ratio of conservative or authoritarian people vs liberal or libertarian people in the military is not in line with the general population.

One thing I'd like to see changed is the emphasis on religion. There is a test or some kind of psych evaluation that I read about in which a soldier's "spiritual health" was checked. I find that very disturbing. For one thing, there's no such thing as "spiritual health". It's a vague idea. They probably only frame it that way because they can't get by with Jesus, due to the Constitution.

Anyway, it's a pretty fascinating topic.

“Question, Explore, Discover”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#111878 Aug 28, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Reminds me of a possible motive for Joseph Smith's claims of a god leading him to golden tablets.
Ego's.
The Mormon apologetics will say no one would make this story up due to likely persecution. I guess they do not consider how humans do not always take all possible repercussions into consideration and some will even take the repercussions for the rewards of power. It is the human way.
Apologetic's like this forget their are many possible answers to the situation. It amazes me that they would claim it is impossible that ego could be a motive but god handing over golden tablets is so plausible.
Bingo! You nailed it in that last sentence.

Which is more reasonable: Joseph Smith made it all up for whatever reason...or god gave him golden tablet with a lost scripture on it?

The Outsider Test answers this pretty damn fast.

But Apologists are not interested in logic. Their purpose is to make rationalizations for weird beliefs. For example, that whole "Why would anyone make it up?" line of argument is just silly. It focuses in on one question that, on the surface, sounds reasonable. But it does so by ignoring MOUNTAINS of other questions with answers they don't like so much.

Where's the archaeological evidence for ANYTHING in the BoM?

Why does that book mention things that didn't exist at the time the stories are supposedly happening?

Why would Jesus come to this place?

And other such things.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jackson Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
KY 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 27 min Cornelius Scudmister 153,774
KY What's mitch McConnell done for coal, when ther... 42 min eer 5,213
KY Hundreds of birds die in western Ky. (Jan '11) 2 hr Princess412 81,638
read me breathing county 7 hr foolish 5
KY Woman's head stepped on by Rand Paul supporters (Oct '10) 7 hr Mary Lou 26,278
MJ Forum part 3 9 hr MJKnows 11
List the name of the od's in Breathitt! 11 hr ODS Breathitt 17
wreck on wolverine Thu Curious 80
•••
•••
•••

Jackson Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Jackson People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE