Bible study rules for public schools ...

Bible study rules for public schools proposed

There are 142341 comments on the The Courier-Journal story from Feb 10, 2010, titled Bible study rules for public schools proposed. In it, The Courier-Journal reports that:

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Courier-Journal.

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

#111874 Aug 28, 2013
Jesus doesn't care how many bible verses you have memorized.

He cares about how you treat people...

that nose you look down..

Hypernyms (to "lead by the nose" is one way to...):

betray; deceive; lead astray (cause someone to believe an untruth)

http://www.yourdictionary.com/lead-by-the-nos...

Let the 'daughter'& mother
CHANGE her ways!
NOT the WHOLE church!

Since: Aug 13

Location hidden

#111875 Aug 28, 2013
Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>A fool in his heart says...
You Prove God's existence with EVERY post!
:-)
I am curious, how so? Really, not getting at you, just interested to know how this person's post of "There is no god" means there is one...
SistaNoneYaBiz

London, KY

#111876 Aug 28, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Religion is used to bolster patriotism. Religion is born of patriotism. Religion is born of politics. Religion is a tool to fight war.
The concept of an afterlife just made it easier for the war mongering leaders to send troops off to war. The promises of paradise to the martyrs works wonders for the leaders.
Bush found no WMD's as he sent tens of thousands to be maimed and killed.
Bullchit...and bullchit.
(and this isn't even counting the documented cases we haveN'T seen)

There were weapons of mass destruction in Iraq after all.

The massive cache of almost 400,000 Iraq war documents released by the WikiLeaks Web site revealed that small amounts of chemical weapons were found in Iraq and continued to surface for years after the 2003 US invasion, Wired magazine reported.

The documents showed that US troops continued to find chemical weapons and labs for years after the invasion, including remnants of Saddam Hussein's chemical weapons arsenal -- most of which had been destroyed following the Gulf War.

In August 2004, American troops were able to buy containers from locals of what they thought was liquid sulfur mustard, a blister agent, the documents revealed. The chemicals were triple-sealed and taken to a secure site.

Also in 2004, troops discovered a chemical lab in a house in Fallujah during a battle with insurgents. A chemical cache was also found in the city.
----------

When having an outdoor bit of lunch, do you prefer a picnic table, or ground seating, with some freshly starched gingham placemats?

Absolute power corrupts absolutely, and then trickles on down to do the same.

“Question, Explore, Discover”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#111877 Aug 28, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>Do you want to go back to the draft? Today's military is 100% voluntary; if atheists and liberals wanted to join, they could. They just don't seem to want to demonstrate their patriotism like religious conservatives do.
Good thing Obama has no fear of using the overwhelminly religious and conservative military when enemies use weapons of mass destruction. I wonder if he'll recover more chemical, biological or radiation munitions than Bush.
No, of course I don't want a draft. Compulsory military service is morally wrong, IMHO. So is this fake idea of "patriotism" the Right Wing peddles. Patriotism itself is not a virtue, it's obedience to a state. I have little use for it.

I do wish the military included a broader mix of people. But some types of people are drawn to military ideas and others are not. People with a more authoritarian view of the world tend to be more likely to enlist. And authoritarianism overlaps strongly with conservative ideology. So naturally the military has a lot of conservatives in it. Also, given that fact, there is a sort of feedback loop going on. The military culture, being composed primarily of conservative and/or authoritarian people creates a comfortable environment for that type of person.

If you are more of a liberal-minded person it is probably harder to fit into that environment. They do exist, of course. There are all sorts of people in the military. It's just that the ratio of conservative or authoritarian people vs liberal or libertarian people in the military is not in line with the general population.

One thing I'd like to see changed is the emphasis on religion. There is a test or some kind of psych evaluation that I read about in which a soldier's "spiritual health" was checked. I find that very disturbing. For one thing, there's no such thing as "spiritual health". It's a vague idea. They probably only frame it that way because they can't get by with Jesus, due to the Constitution.

Anyway, it's a pretty fascinating topic.

“Question, Explore, Discover”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#111878 Aug 28, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Reminds me of a possible motive for Joseph Smith's claims of a god leading him to golden tablets.
Ego's.
The Mormon apologetics will say no one would make this story up due to likely persecution. I guess they do not consider how humans do not always take all possible repercussions into consideration and some will even take the repercussions for the rewards of power. It is the human way.
Apologetic's like this forget their are many possible answers to the situation. It amazes me that they would claim it is impossible that ego could be a motive but god handing over golden tablets is so plausible.
Bingo! You nailed it in that last sentence.

Which is more reasonable: Joseph Smith made it all up for whatever reason...or god gave him golden tablet with a lost scripture on it?

The Outsider Test answers this pretty damn fast.

But Apologists are not interested in logic. Their purpose is to make rationalizations for weird beliefs. For example, that whole "Why would anyone make it up?" line of argument is just silly. It focuses in on one question that, on the surface, sounds reasonable. But it does so by ignoring MOUNTAINS of other questions with answers they don't like so much.

Where's the archaeological evidence for ANYTHING in the BoM?

Why does that book mention things that didn't exist at the time the stories are supposedly happening?

Why would Jesus come to this place?

And other such things.
stuck in a lodi

Pikeville, KY

#111879 Aug 28, 2013
SistaNoneYa wrote:
<quoted text>
Are there any impeachment papers yet? Impeach the anti-Christ!
(and a few other INEPT commie-regimish, Constitutional breaching, nation dividing, race-baiting, non law abiding THUGS as well!)
"BRING THE TROOPS HOME"
NO MORE (jihad for suckers) WARS!!!

Do you feel the USA's actions following 911 were justified?

And I want to ask that same question to 'sarah' Moniker

“Speaker of Mountain Wisdom....”

Since: Jan 10

Somerset, KY

#111880 Aug 28, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Religion is used to bolster patriotism. Religion is born of patriotism. Religion is born of politics. Religion is a tool to fight war.
The concept of an afterlife just made it easier for the war mongering leaders to send troops off to war. The promises of paradise to the martyrs works wonders for the leaders.
Bush found no WMD's as he sent tens of thousands to be maimed and killed.
http://www.defense.gov/News/NewsArticle.aspx...

http://www.examiner.com/article/syrian-chemic...

http://www.wnd.com/2006/06/36714/

http://hotair.com/archives/2010/10/24/wikilea...

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/international/us...

http://blog.usni.org/2012/07/20/iraq-chemical...

Just Sayin.........
stuck in a lodi

Pikeville, KY

#111881 Aug 28, 2013
sarah b wrote:
<quoted text>
My husband has been in the military for four years and is about to move to the officer side. This is a problem for us. We both have decided in the last two years the bible ( which has been fed to us since babies) is ridiculous. We couldn't take care of our family without the military but.... We have become pretty liberal since my husband has watch children die over there that are the same age as our little man. It's easy for people to say we're doing the right things when their family is safe at home and they don't have to see the pain of our bullshit.
I would like you to answer the same question I asked Sista.

Somerset, KY

#111882 Aug 28, 2013
stuck in a lodi wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you feel the USA's actions following 911 were justified?
And I want to ask that same question to 'sarah' Moniker
ooh..ooh.. Let me.... Yes we should have slapped the dog crap out of Afghanistan from the air but we did not need troops on the ground... We should have not attempted to do Nation Building and just took out every building larger than a hut, every military asset we could locate, every bridge, every communication tower and every government building we could find... Then walk away without a penny in aid, not a single MRE or bottle of water...

But none of that would have ever been needed if when the USSR was in there we would have given them a big Thumbs up and said it had nothing to do with us... Not a single Red Eye to the "Freedom Fighters"... And 9/11 would never have happened in the first place...

As for Iraq, we were at a state of War still from the First Gulf War where we came to the aid of an Ally... We were in a Cease Fire status and we should have never put boots on the ground in Iraq... Again if they fired on a coalition aircraft, painted one with a radar, refused to allow inspectors where ever they wish to have gone... Knock down government buildings and take out every piece of military gear we saw and take out bridges until they did Exactly what was agreed to during the signing of the cease fire agreement..

And again, screw nation building... Not a dime in aid, not a band-aid, not a MRE, not a bottle of Cumberland Gap spring water....

Now in Syria... The French are all gung ho for the US to bomb em.. I say stay the hell out of it... If the French want to do it more power to em... If Syria uses 100 ton of Iraq's chemical weapons on it's own people, not our problem... The more bat shite crazy Islamist kill other bat shite crazy Islamist I don't ee the down side....

Somerset, KY

#111883 Aug 28, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Why on Earth would YaA have quoted MLK, Jr.? Adding (or should I say 'addle-ing') insult to injury?
YaA would swear that conservatism is what stood solidly for the civil rights movement. What he doesn't recall is that it was standing BEfore it with tear gas and night sticks.
So are you saying that the Democrats were Conservative during the civil rights movement?...

“There is no god.”

Since: Jan 12

USA

#111884 Aug 28, 2013
aspiecat wrote:
<quoted text>
I am curious, how so? Really, not getting at you, just interested to know how this person's post of "There is no god" means there is one...

Ignorance, "yes the liar" has mastered it.

“There is no god.”

USA

#111885 Aug 28, 2013
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
That is probably true.
Probably?

I would imagine that reason and logic are getting in the way of my intellectual honesty.
I say there is no god just like there is no elephant in the trunk of my car or a fat guy in a red suit that slips down chimneys and eats cookies, such beliefs are ridiculous.

“There is no god.”

USA

#111886 Aug 28, 2013
A fool believes its heart does anything but pumps blood.

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

#111887 Aug 28, 2013

“There is no god.”

USA

#111888 Aug 28, 2013

“There is no god.”

USA

#111889 Aug 28, 2013
aWitchintheWoods wrote:
<quoted text>
They weren't even holes, just "lines."
Yaa said, "when I took my jacket off, there were two lead lines
straight down my back 1/4" appart, and starting at mid, to lower shoulder
blade!"
He probably leaned against something and got his jacket dirty.
But he would rather believe that "god" protected him.
Strokes his ego.
Hiya witch, hope all is well in your life.

Two lines of crack on its back.

“There is no god.”

USA

#111890 Aug 28, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
When I see a WWJD bumper sticker, this is what crosses my mind:
blink. eye roll. face palm.
wwjd

who wants jelly donuts

Somerset, KY

#111891 Aug 28, 2013
LOL in a suit wrote:
A fool believes its heart does anything but pumps blood.
It also produces Cardiac Enzymes......
stuck in a lodi

Pikeville, KY

#111892 Aug 28, 2013
What happened on 9-11 was one of the most heinous crimes in history, killing more people in one day on American Soil since Pearl Harbor, that I do not question, however what I do question is how such inept, un experienced pilots can master such a precise strike to massive skyscrapers to bring them down is such a perfect implosion, that it boggles the mind.

“There is no god.”

USA

#111893 Aug 28, 2013
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
It also produces Cardiac Enzymes......
Produces?

Enzymes are contained within the muscle cells and are released into the blood when the cells are damaged.

The heart pumps blood its a muscle.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jackson Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
diary queen 33 min what 26
Meth heads everywhere 1 hr Blablabla 10
Betty J Morgan 5 hr hmmm 9
Wendy's 8 hr Johnny 2
Who is Roscoe Campbell's ex that's real short? 9 hr Well 2
Kevin Turner and his new woman 9 hr missie 2
kudos to sheriff's dept. 9 hr Stupid and Lazy 9
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Jackson Mortgages