Is Jackson City School supposed to be...

Is Jackson City School supposed to be taken over?

Posted in the Jackson Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Student

United States

#1 Dec 16, 2012
I read somewhere on here that J.C.S. was to be taken over by state, like Breathitt, and the state was going to combine the two districts. Is this true? Has anyone heard anything? Also heard that when they combine the districts Jackson students were going to be moved over to Breathitt schools.
No way

Richmond, KY

#2 Dec 16, 2012
No truth in that...just a rumor.
Student

United States

#3 Dec 16, 2012
That's what I figured, it really doesn't seem likely.
Truth

Richmond, KY

#4 Dec 16, 2012
Jackson City is bankrupt.Had to borrow $300,000 more just to stay open.It will have NO choice but to become part of Breathitt.When it does I hope they get rid of half those snooty teachers.
hahaha

Pikeville, KY

#5 Dec 16, 2012
Truth wrote:
Jackson City is bankrupt.Had to borrow $300,000 more just to stay open.It will have NO choice but to become part of Breathitt.When it does I hope they get rid of half those snooty teachers.
you do realize that JCS test scores are always higher then Breathitt's. maybe the breathitt county schools should focus more on actual education then athletics.
Big Whoopee Do

Georgetown, KY

#6 Dec 17, 2012
Your made your point, but it doesn't have a thing to do with the fact that the smaller system will have to merge with larger system. Maybe all the brainiacs on the hill and their teachers can raise test scores for Breathitt's system. It is a well known fact that City only caters to wealthy and high achieving students. If you are less than average in academics, they prefer you not join their ranks. And while academics should be a priority, the athletic programs are an important part of most schools even a small school like City.

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#7 Dec 17, 2012
JCS scored a Proficient overall, but the elementary portion of the school scored almost as low as the elementary schools under the Breathitt system. Usually younger students outscore the older ones. JCS High scored 17th in the state among high schools, which is impressive, and both the high school and middle school earned the designation of Distinguished. They deserve congratulations, but it remains to be seen if they can bring the younger students up to standards.

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#8 Dec 17, 2012
Big Whoopee Do wrote:
And while academics should be a priority, the athletic programs are an important part of most schools even a small school like City.
I am asking this sincerely because I would appreciate a good, factual answer... why is it important that a school system offer an athletic program?

Good sportsmanship is no longer valued because of the large monetary earnings brought in by winning teams, so winning is more important than anything leading to coaches and administrators acting in a self-promoting way that actually harms students. What do the students get out of it that is of long term value?
parent

Henderson, KY

#9 Dec 17, 2012
2DamnLiberal wrote:
JCS scored a Proficient overall, but the elementary portion of the school scored almost as low as the elementary schools under the Breathitt system. Usually younger students outscore the older ones. JCS High scored 17th in the state among high schools, which is impressive, and both the high school and middle school earned the designation of Distinguished. They deserve congratulations, but it remains to be seen if they can bring the younger students up to standards.
Teachers are not being held to high standards anymore up there on the hill. Maybe Spencer wants a merger and I think Yount doesnt care anyway he is just waiting for his retirement. Mel Stevens recently gave Spencer's wife a job in the county system so I think alot of back scratching is going on.
Truth

Lebanon, KY

#10 Dec 18, 2012
Test scores are higher because they cheat.That's right.They give copies of tests to study and don't use proctors;which is also illegal.When the state questions me;I WILL tell all.
hotrod41

Langsville, OH

#11 Dec 18, 2012
Truth wrote:
Test scores are higher because they cheat.That's right.They give copies of tests to study and don't use proctors;which is
also illegal.When the state questions me;I WILL tell all.
I hope you do tell. It makes me sick at the end of the year when they have those end of the year awards and you have kids who barley have a 2.0 getting awards for all distinguised, all because their parents work up there. I don't know what these kids will do if they are lucky enough to get into a college, when their parents are not their to cheat for them.LOL!!!
Wow

Prestonsburg, KY

#12 Dec 19, 2012
This is all so funny
hotrod41

Athens, OH

#13 Dec 19, 2012
Wow wrote:
This is all so funny
I am glad you think the truth is funny. We will see if you are laughing when they shut the doors.
Louis

Prestonsburg, KY

#14 Dec 19, 2012
What's funny are the lies ur telling on them. I don't have my kids there anyway but I highly doubt mr spencer would take the risk of cheating to get ahead. I thought he was a Christian and never lied in his life!!!!
hotrod41

Athens, OH

#15 Dec 19, 2012
Louis wrote:
What's funny are the lies ur telling on them. I don't have my kids there anyway but I highly doubt mr spencer would take the risk of cheating to get ahead. I thought he was a Christian and never lied in his life!!!!
Now, that is funny. I don't think Mr. Spencer has a clue as to what goes on at the school. He is at the central office all the time and if you don't have a child up there, then you wouldn't know, would you, but I do.
Teachers

United States

#16 Dec 19, 2012
We're taught at breathitt high... Glad to know bhs was good enough for them. Lol some of the most dumbest people in breathitt teach there. Mrs Roark is a crazy teacher. These people are clueless. Those kids barely make it when they go to bhs. You don't see any put in the gifted. They can talk the the talk but can't walk the walk. Yes I know for a fact they cheat.
A student

Langley, KY

#17 Dec 19, 2012
You people are retarded we are not handed our grades we work hard for them and just because we are given a end of the year reward ceremony doesn't mean anything it actually encourages us to do better. Maybe you all should take a step back and see that no one from breathitt or Jackson city are going to the NBA and that academics are very important. To play any sport in college you have to have a certain G.P.A and if you don't then you do not play. As for our teachers they are wonderful people who care a lot for us and would do anything to help. Just because our test scores are higher we get ridiculed and accused of cheating. I think you people need lives or better yet JOBS to preoccupy your time. As for Mr. Spencer he is a great supper attendant a lot better then what breathitt had and his wife is a great person also. You obviously have no clue as for what you are saying.
joke squad

Williamsburg, KY

#18 Dec 19, 2012
Teachers wrote:
We're taught at breathitt high... Glad to know bhs was good enough for them. Lol some of the most dumbest people in breathitt teach there. Mrs Roark is a crazy teacher. These people are clueless. Those kids barely make it when they go to bhs. You don't see any put in the gifted. They can talk the the talk but can't walk the walk. Yes I know for a fact they cheat.
I'll go out on a limb and guess you're not in gifted.....
Hello

Providence, RI

#19 Dec 21, 2012
Please do not disrespect Jackson City the way you are doing. Jackson is a tremendous school and would never hand anyone test answers with no proctors. This past May, Jackson graduated all of their students and each student was going to attend a postsecondary education. Former students have been well prepared for the rigorous courses of college and have been doing well. They also are not biased towards who is wealthy and who is not. It is about who is determined and willing to learn. I have known both Mr. Spencer and Mr. Yount for years and I still support all they have done for the school and what they are doing. They have prepared so many students for the future and helping create paths toward success.
Truth

Richmond, KY

#20 Dec 22, 2012
Graduated all 10 students?WOW.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jackson Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
something fun to do 8 min Clifford Hudson 4
Who will win Magistrate in district #1 12 min Clifford Hudson 7
Campaign News part 4 23 min Post troll 5
Roger Turner JR. for County Judge 45 min Middle fork No 2 13
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 2 hr just an observer 170,581
Food stamp card 2 hr Votertoo 29
Three Forks Regional Jail (Apr '09) 5 hr HIV is good 300

Jackson Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Jackson Mortgages