snake hunting in breathitt county ky

Posted in the Jackson Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
info needed

Clarksville, TN

#1 Apr 3, 2010
I was wanting to know if any one knows any good areas to snake hunt in Breathitt county? I hunt on quicksand in jackson but that is the only area I know of that has plenty of snakes. I do a lot of road hunting and that is driving around at night catching them on the roads. I also hunt on old abandoned houses that have fell down or burned. I look under the tin that has fell to the ground.If anyone knows any good places to hunt for snakes I would greatly appreciate it!
ewwwwww

Lancaster, WI

#2 Apr 3, 2010
thats creepy---but we always see em around the creeks-i'd say it still alittle cool for them,but i guess they will come out and lay on highway where its warm from the day sunshine-then they get squished at night,can I ask what do u want with snakes,do u want them dead or alive?
tbone

Anderson, SC

#3 Apr 3, 2010
southfolk might be a good place

Since: Mar 10

Location hidden

#4 Apr 3, 2010
I worked with a man years ago that hunted poisonous snakes. He didn't hunt them to kill or sell, he kept them and would feed them and then milk them. He had a small lab and milked the snakes and then sold the venom. He had alot of snakes.

Look in hollows, under rocks, dead trees, probably in Southfork, Millers Branch, Hallsey Fork, and one place I seen a big rattler, in Duck Hollow.

But above all, be careful!
you should

Lexington, KY

#5 Apr 3, 2010
go up on the strip jobs.flint ridge,10 mile..always plenty up there day or night..mostly night.and they're huge too but be careful most of them are rattlers and copperheads.good luck!!!
info needed

United States

#6 Apr 3, 2010
ewwwwww wrote:
thats creepy---but we always see em around the creeks-i'd say it still alittle cool for them,but i guess they will come out and lay on highway where its warm from the day sunshine-then they get squished at night,can I ask what do u want with snakes,do u want them dead or alive?
Both I don't kill them only study them but yes I do take the dead ones off the road to keep other animals from falling victim to a vehicle.The kids in the neighbor hood make things out of them and enjoy it.It also helps keep people safe from them.If you know any place in the area that is a good place then please help me out!
info needed

United States

#7 Apr 4, 2010
Any old houses or barns down are great places!I will not do any damage to anyone's property just remove the snakes!I always put things back the way I found them, so if anyone knows of any such place I would appreciate any help!
loveoroy

United States

#8 Apr 4, 2010
yep southfork is a damn good place to hunt snakes
Robert

Manchester, KY

#9 Apr 4, 2010
info needed wrote:
Any old houses or barns down are great places!I will not do any damage to anyone's property just remove the snakes!I always put things back the way I found them, so if anyone knows of any such place I would appreciate any help!
Unless you have previously obtained permission from the landowner before going on someones property you are asking for trouble.Especially if you are looking around old houses,barns,etc.People may think you are up to no good and think you may be growing pot,running a meth lab,looking for items to steal,all kinds of different things that you shouldnt be doing.Be safe and make sure you contact the property owner first and obtain permission.

Location hidden

#10 Apr 4, 2010
Robert wrote:
<quoted text>
Unless you have previously obtained permission from the landowner before going on someones property you are asking for trouble.Especially if you are looking around old houses,barns,etc.People may think you are up to no good and think you may be growing pot,running a meth lab,looking for items to steal,all kinds of different things that you shouldnt be doing.Be safe and make sure you contact the property owner first and obtain permission.
You're right to get permission from landowners before going on their property. Years ago, there wasn't that many houses and snake hunting was just going into the right hollows to find them. Of course the man I worked with would always ask permission before going on farms or up in hollows. I don't think we ever got turned down because everybody wanted as many snakes took off the land as possible.

We had many close calls when hunting snakes, especially when it came to rattlers. We found a whole nest of them once, they were very angry snakes. One of them was around 6 feet long and it seemed that we woke them up from a winters sleep. Rattlers are very dangerous when woke up because they are hungry and mean. They'll strike at anyone or anything.
info needed

United States

#11 Apr 4, 2010
Any one that knows of any good places to go I always ask for permission before entry of land.I am just a good old country girl that gets her kicks from snake hunting.No motive just love of the snakes that drive me.I don't handle them without proper equipment so there is no danger of me getting bit.I have hunted them for over 15 years and I have not got bit by a venomous snake yet thank god.

Location hidden

#12 Apr 4, 2010
info needed wrote:
Any one that knows of any good places to go I always ask for permission before entry of land.I am just a good old country girl that gets her kicks from snake hunting.No motive just love of the snakes that drive me.I don't handle them without proper equipment so there is no danger of me getting bit.I have hunted them for over 15 years and I have not got bit by a venomous snake yet thank god.
The guy I worked with hunted snakes in Africa, India, South America, and several other countries. We have caught some cotton mouth, that is one mean snake. Worse than a rattler.

Places where they're just starting to strip mine is a good place to look (that drives the snakes in different directions).

Also, where they're just starting to log, logging also drives the snakes in different directions. We hunted in Noctor, Big Canie, River Canie, Southfork. Of course back then, Southfork was the best place to look for snakes. You can also try in Hardshell.
info needed

Clarksville, TN

#13 Apr 4, 2010
TyransauroRex wrote:
<quoted text>
The guy I worked with hunted snakes in Africa, India, South America, and several other countries. We have caught some cotton mouth, that is one mean snake. Worse than a rattler.
Places where they're just starting to strip mine is a good place to look (that drives the snakes in different directions).
Also, where they're just starting to log, logging also drives the snakes in different directions. We hunted in Noctor, Big Canie, River Canie, Southfork. Of course back then, Southfork was the best place to look for snakes. You can also try in Hardshell.
Thank you that was useful info I will get a map out and look for these places thanks so much!
Thank you for the info very useful.I will get a map out and look these places up.Once again thanks!
river caney

Macon, GA

#14 Apr 4, 2010
is always swarming with snakes
where is

Clarksville, TN

#15 Apr 5, 2010
river caney wrote:
is always swarming with snakes
where is river caney at ?
Wierd Pets

United States

#16 Apr 5, 2010
Get up with Kyle Little, he has had snakes for pets for years, rattlers and copper heads, and will catch them for people. Lives on Cane Creek I believe.
hello

Clarksville, TN

#17 Apr 5, 2010
were is cane creek or river caney or big cainy I am not from breathitt the only place I know is jackson quick sand and southfork.
Wierd Pets

United States

#18 Apr 5, 2010
Cane Creek is down 30 west, Kyle lives about 2 miles down 30 west.
river caney

Macon, GA

#19 Apr 5, 2010
to get there you take 15 south to watts (a little past vics )and turn onto watts rd it'll be across the bridge on the right turn right at the stop sign then go straight on mcintosh rd can't miss it

“never mistake motion 4 action.”

Jackson Ky

#20 Apr 5, 2010
Does it pay good?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jackson Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What Are You Willing To Do? 1 hr Peace 3
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 2 hr CriminalForever 156,448
Jackson Save A lot 9 hr health insurance 30
Christmas 13 hr Randy 22
Council 13 hr XXX 1
Dewayne little & his pencil 13 hr She no better 4
Jimmy Vanover 17 hr Whoop u n 2 jus l... 10

Jackson Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Jackson Mortgages