State of our Economy In the United St...

State of our Economy In the United States of America?

Posted in the Jackson Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#1 Feb 26, 2013
Never in the history of our country, have we experienced such pit falls of our economy as it is today. I'll agree, back in the Great Depression, our economy failed miserably, but we didn't own trillions of dollars to someone else either. Right now we are on the brink of our government shutting down, and all our politicians in Washington can do is point the finger at one another. The question I want to ask, "What are they going to do about it?". The other question I want to ask, "What do you the citizens of this country think should be done?" Remember something, you the citizen run this country, not the other way around!
dont care

Athens, OH

#2 Feb 26, 2013
..these ssi and welfare babies around here rather worry about whos the next person to gossip about than to worry about how this country is doing...as long theyre getting that check every month...thats all that matters to them..
lots

West Liberty, KY

#3 Feb 26, 2013
Lots can be done...First cut back on the checks. You must be disabled to draw foodstamps or welfare. Make medical card holders pay a co pay and if they use that medical card to go through the er for something such as a cold then no pay and you pay and pay up front just like everyone else. If you do let those not really disable draw foodstamps and welfare make them work part time. Make them clean floors, toliets and even the side of the roads.
Make prison a place you don't want to go. Take a lesson from the New Mexico Sherrif Joe...Bring back chain gangs, make them wear awful colors so they won't steal thier uniforms etc...No special treatments such as hbo, etc..Just give them the basics. Make it mandatory that they attend educational, mental health and substance abuse classes. No books unless educational or newspapers. Start this with the juvenile system.
Raise min wage. Make it federal law that ALL businesses have to offer sick days. Sick days that you can CALL in a few hour or just an hour before your shift starts. This will keep our people healthy and more productive.(some companies that have sick days make you tell them at least two days in advance you are using them.LOL)
CLose up the loopholes for both the rich and the companies. They don't need any more taxes as they pay plenty right now. Just need those loopholes closed. This is what I can think of right off the top of my head.
lots

West Liberty, KY

#4 Feb 26, 2013
I forgot about tarrifs. No more removing tarrifs for our so called friends. If you want to sell your goods in our country you pay our tarrifs. We don't get special treatments. Also if you are an american company and you want to have your product made oversees, then by all means relocate to that country and see how you like that. Otherwise you pay the tarrif rate set down by our government and you must pay taxes on the money earned in that country. Doesn't matter if your company has an branch office and bank in that country.
Do Not Misunderstand

Jackson, KY

#5 Feb 26, 2013
The correct name for this economy is Obamanomics.What is happening to our economy is tied to his policies.All these false crisis such as the sequester is to keep people distracted from the real problems that they're having.We now have gasoline well above $4 dollars a gallon in parts of our country.Obamacare is forcing companies to reduce the number of hours their employees work to under 30 hours per week.Doctors in many states now are refusing new Medicaid patients because of Medicaid being expanded and the doctors are not being paid enough by Medicaid.Medicaid itself is in trouble.There are predictions that many doctors will give up their practices because they won't be able to stay in business.We have an EPA which has ran companies out of this country for over 20 years now by their regulations and telling manufactureres how to build things to be more energy efficent which has led to more waste and want for energy.We have a Federal Reserve that can't tell us the truth whether inflation is causing higher gas and food prices or not.Then we have other problems coming up in the world that this government completely ignores or pretends doesn't exist.We are seeing the destruction of the Republican Party by an organized media which hides every thing negative about the Democrat Party.The people aren't going to have an alternative party to turn to.Amazing also is that people can't connect this economy to Obama and the Democrats.History repeats itself just as Charlie mentioned the Great Depression only this time the outcome is not going to be on America's side.
Do Not Misunderstand

Jackson, KY

#6 Feb 26, 2013
One more thing people should know is where all these Senators and Representatives invest the money that they get.There's no poor people in Congress.Once they get in Congress or the Presidency all of sudden they have money.We would be shocked at the number invested in companies in China.That's why we have all this junk being sold to us and it has be things that are not durable,so you have to replace it sooner.
lots

West Liberty, KY

#7 Feb 26, 2013
GLad you brought that stuff up. You are right about the health care. My sister works in billing for a major hospital. She says you are right. It will get to the point that the doctors and hospitals will no longer accept medicare or medicaid or even insuranace. If they do, they will make you sign a paper stating you will pay all bills that the insurance, medicaid and medicare don't pay. How many company CEO's have we seen on television and I don't mean FOX news either that has stated because of the obamacare they will not be hiring full time employees. They will not be expanding thier businesses as they can't afford to. That it will be cheaper to pay the fine rather than insurance.
Did you know that Congress can use information they hear and get through thier job and use it to invest thier money..insider trading? Something that other people such as Martha Stewart went to prison for?
How many companies that Obama gave tax breaks to for alternative energy actually came up with something? How many went bankrupt? Alternative energy is fine but it isn't economical. Wind energy is a joke unless you are in Washington dc when Congress meets.LOL Geothermal you never see a return, solar takes about five years and by that time the solar panel are worn out and you have to replace them, so return there. THe only other alternatives we have are nuclear and coal and gas. Nuclear is risky but I am not against it if it is done correctly.
I firmly believe once you leave the office of president and congress your benefits and pay stop. No more special insurance, no more seceret service agents at your beck and call, no more PAY!! Why should they be any different than any other working man. Once we leave a job our benefits stop.
THey wouldn't want me in the whitehouse or in congress.
Do Not Misunderstand

Jackson, KY

#8 Feb 26, 2013
lots wrote:
GLad you brought that stuff up. You are right about the health care. My sister works in billing for a major hospital. She says you are right. It will get to the point that the doctors and hospitals will no longer accept medicare or medicaid or even insuranace. If they do, they will make you sign a paper stating you will pay all bills that the insurance, medicaid and medicare don't pay. How many company CEO's have we seen on television and I don't mean FOX news either that has stated because of the obamacare they will not be hiring full time employees. They will not be expanding thier businesses as they can't afford to. That it will be cheaper to pay the fine rather than insurance.
Did you know that Congress can use information they hear and get through thier job and use it to invest thier money..insider trading? Something that other people such as Martha Stewart went to prison for?
How many companies that Obama gave tax breaks to for alternative energy actually came up with something? How many went bankrupt? Alternative energy is fine but it isn't economical. Wind energy is a joke unless you are in Washington dc when Congress meets.LOL Geothermal you never see a return, solar takes about five years and by that time the solar panel are worn out and you have to replace them, so return there. THe only other alternatives we have are nuclear and coal and gas. Nuclear is risky but I am not against it if it is done correctly.
I firmly believe once you leave the office of president and congress your benefits and pay stop. No more special insurance, no more seceret service agents at your beck and call, no more PAY!! Why should they be any different than any other working man. Once we leave a job our benefits stop.
THey wouldn't want me in the whitehouse or in congress.
I agree.Once people get inside Washington D.C. they become different.They can't resist getting into the National Treasury and of course when people like Martha Steward tries to cheat,they feel like they're being robbed.I don't know if you remember when Harry Reid had shares in some oil company and when the price of the shares went to $43 or something like that,he sold,he must have gotten information that the price would drop,anyway not long after he created a bill where he and his buddies sued that company or I believe it went that way,but nobody knows how many millions he got from all that.His net worth is somewhere around $10 million but people suspect it's much higher.People love money and it's hard to part with it and that's true of Republicans and Democrats.It would be hard to say how many in Congress get away with cheating on their taxes.We have an elite government and anyone below the D.C. level including Martha Steward better not cheat on one penny of taxes or they'll spend thousands to get that one penny,of course not out of their pockets.They do have 16,500 more IRS agents now.

Location hidden

#9 Feb 26, 2013
These are very good posts, and I enjoy reading them. We as Americans need to step forward and tell the politicians we mean business! Washington needs to know they work for the American people, not the other way around. It seems the politicians in Washington work harder not to work, than working for the people. It seems the politicians never get anything done, but when it comes to their salaries, they have their hands stretched out for more money. I watched on the news, that people are tired of both parties, they never seem to see eye to eye on anything, which the American people are right in the middle, losing their jobs, businesses closing, but when it comes to elections, politicians want our votes.

Location hidden

#10 Feb 26, 2013
One thing for sure, if there was a melt down [government shut down], there would be a catastrophe in this country. Where so many draw SS, SSI, Welfare, Veterans, Black lung, and many more checks, if these people couldn't get their checks, financial institutions like banks, finance companies can't get their money. Then there are the working people, they can't get their pay checks, there would be a total collapse in the economy.
Celia

Georgetown, KY

#11 Feb 26, 2013
Mitch McConnell is the 4th wealthiest person in Congress. His Net worth is around 44 million dollars.( according to the IRS) This does NOT include the wealth of his wife who is a former sec. of Labor or her family, reportedly very wealthy. Mitch has NEVER had a job outside of government.(NEVER) It kind of makes me wonder where the wealth of all of these Congressmen and Senators comes from. Are we all this stupid to not even ask? Maybe it is because we already know the answer.
Do Not Misunderstand

Jackson, KY

#12 Feb 26, 2013
Charlie Sylvester Hollon wrote:
These are very good posts, and I enjoy reading them. We as Americans need to step forward and tell the politicians we mean business! Washington needs to know they work for the American people, not the other way around. It seems the politicians in Washington work harder not to work, than working for the people. It seems the politicians never get anything done, but when it comes to their salaries, they have their hands stretched out for more money. I watched on the news, that people are tired of both parties, they never seem to see eye to eye on anything, which the American people are right in the middle, losing their jobs, businesses closing, but when it comes to elections, politicians want our votes.
Charlie,I believe the American people ought to know every dime these congress people invest in companies in companies,foreign owned or domestic owned,that is building things in China.I wouldn't be surprised that altogether that they have billions invested and they protect those investments too.Much of what they have invested in America can be found out about but not overseas.One of the biggest surprises is what some Senators have invested in media.Did you know John Kerry has what they call a significant amount invested in News Corp which owns Fox News.Now that is a strange one.But of course he is secretary of state now.But there are Republicans who have investments in almost all the liberal media.
a great comparision

Langsville, OH

#13 Feb 26, 2013
There are comparisons on the surface; the comparisons are obvious: a period of great wealth and exuberance before the great depression, followed by a stock market crash. After the crash, widespread economic pain. Millions of people out of work, thousands of homes lost. Families going hungry. That gives and ideal of today.

But much has changed. There is social security, unemployment insurance, Medicare and Medicaid, none of which existed when the Depression hit. Breadlines and shantytowns, emblems of the Depression, are nowhere to be seen. Today, though, there is great hardship out of view. Behind closed doors, apartments and shelters are overcrowded, and cupboards are bare. These are things that will come to pass, unless Congress works together.
Do Not Misunderstand

Jackson, KY

#14 Feb 26, 2013
Celia wrote:
Mitch McConnell is the 4th wealthiest person in Congress. His Net worth is around 44 million dollars.( according to the IRS) This does NOT include the wealth of his wife who is a former sec. of Labor or her family, reportedly very wealthy. Mitch has NEVER had a job outside of government.(NEVER) It kind of makes me wonder where the wealth of all of these Congressmen and Senators comes from. Are we all this stupid to not even ask? Maybe it is because we already know the answer.
The wealth is in both parties.How many of the Kennedys ever worked outside of government?How did they ever obtain the wealth they have? It could be too,that the IRS doesn't report all the wealth many of these people have.It appears that Congress has a lot of influence over the IRS.Don't be loyal to one party.It's like being loyal to a brand of automobile,which could end in disappointment.We need the 2 party system and we need opposing ideals,of course there needs to be strict ethics which isn't the case right now.
lots

West Liberty, KY

#15 Feb 26, 2013
Celia wrote:
You need to research your facts a little more. According to the hill Mitch is 37th on the list of the top 50 richest congressmen/women. Yes the republicans out number the democrates 31 to 19. But I bet if you get digging into the back ground of those you will find the vast majority of the republicans were born into working families that understood the value of money. That is the reason there are more republicans than democrats that actually have money. I am not trying to be negative about democrats as there are some good ones out there that do work and understand the value of money. But they are few and far between.
I am absolutely no fan of Mitch. I lost faith in him when his wife was sec of labor and they did nothing for kentucky, especially rural kentucky. I think he needs to go but I don't think Ashley Judd is the answer. She doesn't understand kentuckians first and foremost. Secondly she isn't even a resident of kentucky. She gives her home as tennessee, and was even a democrat delegate for tennessee. She is actually a puppet of Obama and as such we don't need her. Question is who out there has the money to win that really cares about Kentucky and America?

Location hidden

#17 Feb 26, 2013
Do Not Misunderstand wrote:
<quoted text>Charlie,I believe the American people ought to know every dime these congress people invest in companies in companies,foreign owned or domestic owned,that is building things in China.I wouldn't be surprised that altogether that they have billions invested and they protect those investments too.Much of what they have invested in America can be found out about but not overseas.One of the biggest surprises is what some Senators have invested in media.Did you know John Kerry has what they call a significant amount invested in News Corp which owns Fox News.Now that is a strange one.But of course he is secretary of state now.But there are Republicans who have investments in almost all the liberal media.
Remember when both George Bushes [Sr. and Jr.] were president and oil stock went up through the roof? Both had stock in oil, and made fortunes off of oil stock, but people were paying out their ears for gasoline. That proves politicians have a hand in gas prices going up, but who cares, they're not the ones loosing their shirts, it's the working people that are. Remember when the BP disaster happen? The whole thing was kept dragging out month after month, oil prices going out the roof, but who cares, politicians aren't loosing their shirts, the working person is. That shows Washington is corrupt. It's like the book I once heard about, "Hell Over Hollywood", where actors and actresses were doing anything under the sun back in the 20s and 30s, and Hollywood of that time was corrupt and probably still is. They should write a book about Washington, calling it "Hell Over Washington", because the politicians are just as corrupt in Washington, as Hollywood was back in the 20s and 30s.

Location hidden

#18 Feb 26, 2013
Celia wrote:
I'll agree that forty-four million dollars is a lot of money, but there's politicians in Washington worth a lot more than that. I heard it somewhere, where some politicians were worth well over a billion dollars, and some make even more than that. They say Obama is a billionaire, and I'll say a lot of Congressmen/women are billionaires also.
Do Not Misunderstand

Macon, GA

#19 Feb 27, 2013
Charlie Sylvester Hollon wrote:
<quoted text>
Remember when both George Bushes [Sr. and Jr.] were president and oil stock went up through the roof? Both had stock in oil, and made fortunes off of oil stock, but people were paying out their ears for gasoline. That proves politicians have a hand in gas prices going up, but who cares, they're not the ones loosing their shirts, it's the working people that are. Remember when the BP disaster happen? The whole thing was kept dragging out month after month, oil prices going out the roof, but who cares, politicians aren't loosing their shirts, the working person is. That shows Washington is corrupt. It's like the book I once heard about, "Hell Over Hollywood", where actors and actresses were doing anything under the sun back in the 20s and 30s, and Hollywood of that time was corrupt and probably still is. They should write a book about Washington, calling it "Hell Over Washington", because the politicians are just as corrupt in Washington, as Hollywood was back in the 20s and 30s.
I don't know if George Sr. had oil stock while he was President but George Jr. didn't.George Jr. sold his a long time before he became President.George Jr.'s brother still owned stock in the same oil company George Jr. did.But I don't think George Sr. owned oil stocks while he was President,would have to research to find out.The one who has oil stock is Al Gore which I believe he inherited from his father and I believe it is Occidental which stays in the Middle East.When it comes to Presidents,I believe that after Eisenhower we didn't have any real leaders until Reagen and we haven't had any real leaders since Reagen.Kennedy,Johnson,Nixon(w ho created the EPA),Ford,Carter(the worst next to Obama,who expanded government by leaps and bounds),H.W.Bush,Clinton(elimi nated exchange of information between FBI and CIA,turned down the chance to nab bin Laden,fought against domestic oil drilling)George Jr.(created Homeland Security which will be used against Americans,let the EPA eliminate certain pesticides that were not proved harmful,his EPA began war on appliance makers,Began the 2 wars we simply could not afford,didn't eliminate EPA when he had the opportunity,didn't support domestic oil drilling as much as he could have,allowed Ted Kennedy who was his friend to write the Education Bill that nobody wants)and Obama (who has and continues to outspend every President before him and nothing to show but debt,Obamacare which will create abject poverty,gun control,and eventually giving illegals more rights then American citizens,no domestic oil drilling,destruction of coal as a power source and nothing to replace it with).

Location hidden

#20 Mar 2, 2013
Do Not Misunderstand wrote:
<quoted text>I don't know if George Sr. had oil stock while he was President but George Jr. didn't.George Jr. sold his a long time before he became President.George Jr.'s brother still owned stock in the same oil company George Jr. did.But I don't think George Sr. owned oil stocks while he was President,would have to research to find out.The one who has oil stock is Al Gore which I believe he inherited from his father and I believe it is Occidental which stays in the Middle East.When it comes to Presidents,I believe that after Eisenhower we didn't have any real leaders until Reagen and we haven't had any real leaders since Reagen.Kennedy,Johnson,Nixon(w ho created the EPA),Ford,Carter(the worst next to Obama,who expanded government by leaps and bounds),H.W.Bush,Clinton(elimi nated exchange of information between FBI and CIA,turned down the chance to nab bin Laden,fought against domestic oil drilling)George Jr.(created Homeland Security which will be used against Americans,let the EPA eliminate certain pesticides that were not proved harmful,his EPA began war on appliance makers,Began the 2 wars we simply could not afford,didn't eliminate EPA when he had the opportunity,didn't support domestic oil drilling as much as he could have,allowed Ted Kennedy who was his friend to write the Education Bill that nobody wants)and Obama (who has and continues to outspend every President before him and nothing to show but debt,Obamacare which will create abject poverty,gun control,and eventually giving illegals more rights then American citizens,no domestic oil drilling,destruction of coal as a power source and nothing to replace it with).
I think out of the four best presidents, they were Kennedy and Reagan. Which of the four you think were the best?
The Truth

United States

#21 Mar 3, 2013
I would say Reagan because that man knew what he was doing and was a leader. Without him, we wouldn't have had the ten best years this country hadn't seen since the 50's. And he ended the cold war. To bad Reagan didn't get to reap the benifits of his policies while in office. I'm not sure about Kennedy though because he was killed to early in his presidency. To bad there isn't a Reagen among us today. Only a person like him could get us out of this mess and probably end the war on terror.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jackson Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Jessica Howard 1 hr Friend of friend 20
Sheriff's Office Budget Cut 7 hr kylawquestion 28
Berlin Taulbee 9 hr Wishful thinking 22
the clinic 9 hr beware 2
Game stop 10 hr Wanna know 1
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 10 hr usa 157,892
krmc heart doctors, are they good? 10 hr for the money 7
Breathitt broke 10 hr hopeless 72

Jackson Jobs

More from around the web