A Real Taste of Filipino Home-Cooking Comes to North Brooklyn

Wednesday Jul 9 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Greenpoint Gazette

Every two weeks or so a group of people gather in a tastefully decorated Williamsburg home to sample authentic, home-cooked meals mostly commonly consumed in the Philippines, but in true North Brooklyn fusion fashion, prepared with a twist - a Spanish twist at that, building on the colonial heritage of the nation on the South East Asian island ... (more)

Comments
1 - 16 of 16 Comments Last updated Sunday Jul 20
The Awakener

Crystal Creek, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Friday Jul 11
 
I say kudos to Minnie for her love and passion for cooking and experimenting new techniques on Filipino cuisine. Talents like her can help make the presentation, image and popularity of it very appealing to non-Filipinos who have never tried the food before.

Along with other Filipino chefs and entrepreneurs introducing their own twist on Filipino cuisine in America, it will surely be the next in-thing for foodies and others who are looking for trying something different.
The Awakener

Crystal Creek, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
Friday Jul 11
 
Typo:

it will surely be the next in-thing for foodies and others who are looking *to try* something different.

Ang sarap talaga!
I_am_Belisarius

Quezon City, Philippines

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
Friday Jul 11
 
most foreigners who try filipino food say it tastes ok but is greasy and the meat's over-done. this includes adobo and all spanish-style meat preparations like menudo, mechado, etc. they tend to appreciate good basic ingredients and moderate cooking. they like the lechon, bulalo, various roasts and soups, sea food preparations, and fruit. the native pastries are too sweet. but they don't mind the beer.

i've known only one white guy who can eat (really eat) fermented fish, along with green mangos, soup laced with blood, kimchi, fried rinds, etc. he's a french man and the thing he likes about the philippines is the varied dishes during beer sessions. he says that in france, they usually have cheese and cold meat to go with their drink.
amc

Quezon City, Philippines

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Friday Jul 11
 

Judged:

1

nothing quite like a cold bowl of fat swimming in grease garnished with flies.

ohhhyummmmmmm
The Awakener

Crystal Creek, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Friday Jul 11
 
I_am_Belisarius wrote:
most foreigners who try filipino food say it tastes ok but is greasy and the meat's over-done. this includes adobo and all spanish-style meat preparations like menudo, mechado, etc. they tend to appreciate good basic ingredients and moderate cooking. they like the lechon, bulalo, various roasts and soups, sea food preparations, and fruit. the native pastries are too sweet. but they don't mind the beer.
i've known only one white guy who can eat (really eat) fermented fish, along with green mangos, soup laced with blood, kimchi, fried rinds, etc. he's a french man and the thing he likes about the philippines is the varied dishes during beer sessions. he says that in france, they usually have cheese and cold meat to go with their drink.
That's good. I think that all needs to be done is to take out some of the grease and make the dishes more presentable. Things like adobo, afritata and kare-kare can be made more healthy for those who like to watch their diet.
I_am_Belisarius

Quezon City, Philippines

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Friday Jul 11
 
trouble with those dishes is you have to have pork fat, both intact and melted into the reduction. it won't be the same otherwise.

some filipino chefs are experimenting with medium-done pork or beef cuts and spooning the spanish sauce over them. basically just a steak or a pork chop with an unusual sauce. no dice.

since i can no longer take red meat or eggs, i'm now cooking all the above dishes using chicken (skin removed.)
The Awakener

Crystal Creek, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Friday Jul 11
 
I_am_Belisarius wrote:
trouble with those dishes is you have to have pork fat, both intact and melted into the reduction. it won't be the same otherwise.
some filipino chefs are experimenting with medium-done pork or beef cuts and spooning the spanish sauce over them. basically just a steak or a pork chop with an unusual sauce. no dice.
since i can no longer take red meat or eggs, i'm now cooking all the above dishes using chicken (skin removed.)
With these chefs experimenting on these, I'm sure they will come up with new ways of preparing these dishes in a more healthy, presentable manner. And as the popularity of Filipino cuisine increases in other countries, new techniques and influences will be incorporated to appeal to non-Filipinos.
Angel of joy

Quezon City, Philippines

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Saturday Jul 12
 
If u are a first timer seeing this slim grayish woodworm like,I'm sure it won't perk up your appetite really.This exotic delicacy serve fresh in a bowl dipping only in vinegar or any of your favorite alcohol.it taste like ordinary oyster but for me it is more than ordinary oyster.It can only be found in Palawan and according to folktale this is an aprodisiac so became familiar to foreigners.If you are brace enough to taste this food just pick a strand and dip into the bowl with vinegar or alcohol and swallow.Do you have the courage to eat TAMILOK?....lol
Gretta

Quezon City, Philippines

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Sunday Jul 13
 
I am a filipina,but I'm not familiar with Tamilok.I Google the image coz I'm kinda curious about it,and found out that what u wrote is true.I would not dare to eat such food maybe because I'm scared of worms,looking at it really makes me say ewwwww....haha
Angel of joy

Quezon City, Philippines

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Sunday Jul 13
 
Actually Tamilok is not a worm,though looks like a worm.it is a mangroove-boring mollusk rich in protein substance.traditionally Tamilok serves as "pulutan".
de casco

Quezon City, Philippines

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Sunday Jul 13
 
Angel of joy wrote:
Actually Tamilok is not a worm,though looks like a worm.it is a mangroove-boring mollusk rich in protein substance.traditionally Tamilok serves as "pulutan".
the worm in the wood bark. Its yellow in color is it not? They dip it in calamansi juice.
I_am_Belisarius

Quezon City, Philippines

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
Sunday Jul 13
 
lamprey is just as gross. but whites cook lampreys rather well. even queen elizabeth eats it.

i've never heard of a white eat pampanga buro. it looks and (some say) tastes like dog sick.

when i was in japan, they were crazy for this fermented bean called natto. i didn't enjoy it much. whites taste it and some say it smells like feet. some say it smells like something rotten. some say it smells like rotten feet.
Angel of joy

San Rafael, Philippines

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
Sunday Jul 13
 
de casco wrote:
<quoted text>the worm in the wood bark. Its yellow in color is it not? They dip it in calamansi juice.
Im not familiar with the yellow worm,the white larvae of wood-boring beetles that can be found in dead or decaying woods commonly known from visayas region as "Uok".hmmm yummy...
The Awakener

Crystal Creek, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#14
Monday Jul 14
 
Gretta wrote:
I am a filipina,but I'm not familiar with Tamilok.I Google the image coz I'm kinda curious about it,and found out that what u wrote is true.I would not dare to eat such food maybe because I'm scared of worms,looking at it really makes me say ewwwww....haha
The Philippines has a vast array of local cuisines in the different regions of the country. Many Filipinos have not even explored what their country has to offer in terms of its whole cuisine.

The Philippine Board of Tourism is getting local Filipino chefs to explore the country's regional cuisines and see which dishes are potential to be included in the national cuisine that can be promoted to tourists.
Malourique

Quezon City, Philippines

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
Thursday Jul 17
 

Judged:

1

Angel of joy wrote:
If u are a first timer seeing this slim grayish woodworm like,I'm sure it won't perk up your appetite really.This exotic delicacy serve fresh in a bowl dipping only in vinegar or any of your favorite alcohol.it taste like ordinary oyster but for me it is more than ordinary oyster.It can only be found in Palawan and according to folktale this is an aprodisiac so became familiar to foreigners.If you are brace enough to taste this food just pick a strand and dip into the bowl with vinegar or alcohol and swallow.Do you have the courage to eat TAMILOK?....lol
I tried eating Tamilok when I visited Palawan.At first glance,I really thought of not eating it but I tried it anyway,and it was good,I like it.I recommend Tamilok if u wish to experience Palawan to the fullest.
I_am_Belisarius

Quezon City, Philippines

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#16
Sunday Jul 20
 
pochero is basically a sweet spanish stew. it's best to coat the beef or pork with a little flour and then soutee over high heat to brown the meat. set the meat aside and also fry some potatoes and plantains. set these aside as well. next soutee your garlic and onions (add celery or bell peppers if you want.) add a little wine or juice or just water to de-glaze the flour and meat residue at the bottom of the pan and produce a thick gravy with your vegetables.

from there, techniques vary. personally, i like to set the gravied onions and veggies aside and simmer the meat in a little water, since that takes time. somewhere along the simmering, add tomato sauce, chick peas, the potatoes and plantains, and then the gravied onions. add green veggies last.

the tomato and plantains should already sweeten the gravy. i like to fine-tune the sweetness using sugar (the spaniards use milk chocalate.)

chicken doesn't take to sweetening as well as beef but it's what i prepare nowadays. doc told me to stop eating red meat.:D

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Jackson-Heights Discussions

Search the Jackson-Heights Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 5 min litesong 45,852
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 10 min scirocco 68,420
thankyou 11 min The Real Jimmy Crack Corn 2
Review: Erik's Barbershop 11 min Terry 2
Savages downplayed in the media (Feb '10) 27 min BROOKLYN SAVAGE 6,160
OBAMA is the BEST PRESIDENT EVER (Nov '10) 30 min Mrs Manicotti 14,395
Fox is going down (Dec '09) 30 min Go Blue Forever 5,367
•••
•••

Jackson-Heights News Video

•••
•••

Jackson-Heights Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Jackson-Heights People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Jackson-Heights News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Jackson-Heights
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••