Jerry Grote

AOL

#35547 Jun 11, 2013
Sam Bowers Jr wrote:
<quoted text>You seem to be the most astute poster in here Jerry. I don't follow teams as much as I follow baseball. My take on the New York Mets is the same take Sandy Alderson took when he accepted the difficult job of rebuilding the team, it takes time and starts at the bottom working it's way to the top. The ML team Alderson took over on paper was respectable but had no direction or chemistry, the minor league system under Omar Minaya was in shambles. Alderson has stuck to his word and started at the bottom making shrewd trades for some top pitching prospects and the number one catching prospect in baseball. Look for Alderson at the trade deadline to be a major buyer for a productive outfielder using the youth he's accumulated these past few years. With alot of money being freed up this off-season look for him to pick up pieces to complete the puzzle. If things don't improve by at least fifteen games next season Met fans have a legitimate complaint, until then Sandy is just keeping his word.
Thanks Sam. You are pretty spot on with your analysis for a guy who says he doesn't follow any team.
I am giving this regime time, without being too critical of what is on the field now. Colin Cowgill and Omar Quintanilla are not Alderson's vision of the future. He adnitted on radio yesterday that many of these players are not core players. He is putting that together now.
The problem is, the success of the Yankees makes Met fans impatient. They don't remember 1965-75 or 1982-1995. Also the media here doesn't help either.

“Is this the best we have?”

Since: Aug 07

Emerald City

#35548 Jun 11, 2013
Well the Mets made several roster moves don't know if they are going to help but at this point they can't hurt anymore. I am just interested in whom they are going to send down or designate for assignment when Wheeler comes up to pitch next week. Should be interesting.
Fast Eddie

Myrtle Beach, SC

#35549 Jun 11, 2013
Watching tonight's game vs the Cardinals, I have to say that I came away impressed with their approach to hitting. They don't go up to the plate looking to run the count up on the pitcher, nor do they swing at ridiculous pitches. And they make a lot of contact with a two-strike count, keeping the AB alive. Keith Hernandez is right: the Mets' players would do well to watch the way the Cards play the game and try to emulate them.

And BTW, I never saw a pitcher throw so many ground balls in one inning with absolutely no success as Hefner did in the fifth frame tonight. Grounder after grounder either found a magical way to get past the Mets' infielders or got manhandled by by the boys in blue and orange. Five unearned runs! By the time Craig crunched his three-run homer, Hefner had already thrown 25 pitches in the inning in search of the elusive third out. He had to be tiring by the time he faced Craig.

When a team is horseshit, even the bouncers go against them.

Veloz

Emerald City

#35550 Jun 12, 2013
You know when someone says that you are going to have a bad team the first word that comes out of you mouth is usually How!!! How bad is this team going to be 20 games under .500, 30 games, maybe 40. Bad is a relative word. There are numerous adjectives you can put in front of bad that do a better job at preparing the fan for instance Very bad, extremely bad or you can use another word which is related to bad and that is HORRIBLE. Bad doesn't tell you much this team is non competitive and that tells the fans that you aren't worthy of watching and this team is not bad it is non competitive. If fans are told the truth then they wouldn't get crazed.
Jerry Grote

AOL

#35551 Jun 13, 2013
Interesting conversation during last night's Met-Cards game with Cohen, Darling, Hernandez and Burkhart.
Burkhart was relaying information about the "Cardinal way" of doing things. He was talking about the culture of their clubhouse, their history, former players, their past history, etc. Hernandez as a former Cardinal confirmed it and said they even had a book written about the Cardinal Way for all members of the organization to read and understand.
None of them would go there but this is exactly the opposite of the Met organization. If anything the Mets have never embraced their own history. Since the inception of the franchise, they have strived to somehow to keep the Dodger and Giant legacy alive rather than their own. In the early years, they drafted former Dodgers and Giants to fill out rosters thinking that was the only way to attract people to go see their games. They use to heavily promote when the Dodgers and Giants came to town and of course traded to get Willie Mays back to New York. The Mets have never embraced their own organization or identity. The constant changing of uniforms is another example of no tradition.
Then of course there is Citifield being a shrine to Jackie Robinson and Ebbets Field.
They didn't put in a Met museum until after fans complained.
The Mets as an organization have to start acting like they are a major league franchise with their own identity and history. They ahve been in New York 50 year, pretty soon they will have played the same amount of years in NY as the Giants and Dodgers.

Emerald City

#35552 Jun 13, 2013
Jerry Grote wrote:
Interesting conversation during last night's Met-Cards game with Cohen, Darling, Hernandez and Burkhart.
Burkhart was relaying information about the "Cardinal way" of doing things. He was talking about the culture of their clubhouse, their history, former players, their past history, etc. Hernandez as a former Cardinal confirmed it and said they even had a book written about the Cardinal Way for all members of the organization to read and understand.
None of them would go there but this is exactly the opposite of the Met organization. If anything the Mets have never embraced their own history. Since the inception of the franchise, they have strived to somehow to keep the Dodger and Giant legacy alive rather than their own. In the early years, they drafted former Dodgers and Giants to fill out rosters thinking that was the only way to attract people to go see their games. They use to heavily promote when the Dodgers and Giants came to town and of course traded to get Willie Mays back to New York. The Mets have never embraced their own organization or identity. The constant changing of uniforms is another example of no tradition.
Then of course there is Citifield being a shrine to Jackie Robinson and Ebbets Field.
They didn't put in a Met museum until after fans complained.
The Mets as an organization have to start acting like they are a major league franchise with their own identity and history. They ahve been in New York 50 year, pretty soon they will have played the same amount of years in NY as the Giants and Dodgers.
So true. The funny thing is that the Dodgers can trace their teams lineage to the year 1872 with the Brooklyn Atlantics of the National Association which in 1876 became the National League. The Giants started in 1883 as the New York Gothams. In 1883 another team existed in New York in the American Association and they were the New York Metropolitans yes the Mets and the sad this is they played in the first world series of baseball in 1884 against another team that went defunct the Providence Grays of the National League. So the took the name of the old Metropolitans and never bothered to adopt the identity of the Mets of the 1880's and keep it for themselves.

Emerald City

#35553 Jun 16, 2013
Read an article that interviewed Alderson and the sports writer was inferring that this coming off season Alderson would have a bit more money to play with once Bay and Santana's contracts come off the payroll. Well the most immediate need we have is a power hitting outfielder. That outfielder should be young (under 30 if possible) and a RBI machine. This is the list according to Cots baseball Contracts, you could go to Spotrac.com and get the same list, and the pickings are thin.
Alfredo Amezaga
Rick Ankiel
Jeff Baker
Jason Bay
Carlos Beltran
Shin-Soo Choo
Coco Crisp *
Nelson Cruz
Rajai Davis
David DeJesus
Mark DeRosa
Matt Diaz
Jacoby Ellsbury
Jeff Francoeur
Curtis Granderson
Franklin Gutierrez
Tony Gwynn Jr.
Corey Hart
Raul Ibanez
Reed Johnson *
Austin Kearns
Jason Kubel *
Nate McLouth
Nyjer Morgan
Mike Morse
David Murphy
Xavier Nady
Laynce Nix
Hunter Pence
Juan Rivera
Luke Scott
Ryan Sweeney
Andres Torres
Chris Young *
Delmon Young

Some of these guys are Minor Leaguers too.
From where I sit I only see two guys that would really help the Mets if we can sign them away from their present and those two guys are Jason Kubel and Hunter Pense, Granderson would be okay but he is hurt and the Yankees will resign him. There are some former Mets on the list like Beltran and Francoeur but I don't think they will be back. Good Luck with that.
Fast Eddie

Myrtle Beach, SC

#35554 Jun 16, 2013
My, my, how baseball fortunes can turn a full 180 degrees in the wink of an eye! The Mets looked like a steaming pile of dog crap for a full eight innings today, most notably in the fifth-inning comedy of errors that plated two unearned runs for the Cubbies. For the second game in a row Jeremy Hefner was sabotaged by his own defense.

Then came the glorious ninth frame. First Bobby Parnell recorded three outs on only six pitches, then Marlon Byrd and Kirk Nieuwenhuis played long ball in the bottom half. The Cubs had to be stunned. I was pretty dazzled by the turnaround, myself.

Oh well, on to Atlanta for a game or five. I'm not going to get my hopes up about that series. I'll settle for a decent debut from Zach Wheeler. There's still a long way to go before we achieve mediocrity.

Veloz

“Another 240 million”

Since: May 09

Up in smoke

#35555 Jun 17, 2013
Met Mad Hatter wrote:
Read an article that interviewed Alderson and the sports writer was inferring that this coming off season Alderson would have a bit more money to play with once Bay and Santana's contracts come off the payroll. Well the most immediate need we have is a power hitting outfielder. That outfielder should be young (under 30 if possible) and a RBI machine. This is the list according to Cots baseball Contracts, you could go to Spotrac.com and get the same list, and the pickings are thin.
Alfredo Amezaga
Rick Ankiel
Jeff Baker
Jason Bay
Carlos Beltran
Shin-Soo Choo
Coco Crisp *
Nelson Cruz
Rajai Davis
David DeJesus
Mark DeRosa
Matt Diaz
Jacoby Ellsbury
Jeff Francoeur
Curtis Granderson
Franklin Gutierrez
Tony Gwynn Jr.
Corey Hart
Raul Ibanez
Reed Johnson *
Austin Kearns
Jason Kubel *
Nate McLouth
Nyjer Morgan
Mike Morse
David Murphy
Xavier Nady
Laynce Nix
Hunter Pence
Juan Rivera
Luke Scott
Ryan Sweeney
Andres Torres
Chris Young *
Delmon Young
Some of these guys are Minor Leaguers too.
From where I sit I only see two guys that would really help the Mets if we can sign them away from their present and those two guys are Jason Kubel and Hunter Pense, Granderson would be okay but he is hurt and the Yankees will resign him. There are some former Mets on the list like Beltran and Francoeur but I don't think they will be back. Good Luck with that.
As A diehard Met fan and Juicekee hater I can only hope the Juicekees re-sign Granderhorribletrade
Jerry Grote

AOL

#35556 Jun 17, 2013
Fast Eddie wrote:
My, my, how baseball fortunes can turn a full 180 degrees in the wink of an eye! The Mets looked like a steaming pile of dog crap for a full eight innings today, most notably in the fifth-inning comedy of errors that plated two unearned runs for the Cubbies. For the second game in a row Jeremy Hefner was sabotaged by his own defense.
Then came the glorious ninth frame. First Bobby Parnell recorded three outs on only six pitches, then Marlon Byrd and Kirk Nieuwenhuis played long ball in the bottom half. The Cubs had to be stunned. I was pretty dazzled by the turnaround, myself.
Oh well, on to Atlanta for a game or five. I'm not going to get my hopes up about that series. I'll settle for a decent debut from Zach Wheeler. There's still a long way to go before we achieve mediocrity.
Veloz
Eddie, tell Bob Costas to shut up. Every team celebrates a walk off home run like it's the 7th Game of the World Series, regardless. Maybe it wasn't that way 40 years ago, but just like the device he used to get his message out (twitter) times have changed. 40 years ago, nobody asked, "How many rings has he won?"
Fast Eddie

Myrtle Beach, SC

#35557 Jun 17, 2013
Jerry Grote wrote:
<quoted text>
Eddie, tell Bob Costas to shut up. Every team celebrates a walk off home run like it's the 7th Game of the World Series, regardless. Maybe it wasn't that way 40 years ago, but just like the device he used to get his message out (twitter) times have changed. 40 years ago, nobody asked, "How many rings has he won?"
It may be that Costas cannot conceive of how miserable a season this one has been for Mets fans and players alike. At the close of what had been 1-6 home stand, a sudden turnaround, walk-off HR by a player who had done nothing for almost three months was like winning the lottery for all of us. OF COURSE we're going to celebrate like it was October! That's probably going to be the high point of our season. Costas shouldn't begrudge us a fleeting moment of joy. Bottom line: he's a Cardinals fan. How long has it been since he's suffered through a shitty season?

Veloz
Fast Eddie

Myrtle Beach, SC

#35558 Jun 18, 2013
Okay,the Mets seem to be loaded with good starting pitchers. Harvey, Niese, Marcum, Hefner and Gee are keeping games within reach; and here comes Wheeler, who should be at least as good as, say, Hefner. And Montero is now in AAA Las Vegas, on track or a 2014 debut.

My questions: Which of these hurlers are the Mets willing to peddle to obtain some productive hitters? And who, exactly, would those hitters be? Who is available at this time and would not block the advancement of a promising Mets farmhand? How much salary (and for how many years) would Sandy have to take on to land a hitter with some pop and a solid .280 BA?

On another subject, who knew that moving Lucas Duda back to 1B would have such immediate benefits? In one game Lucas racked up a whole month's worth of base hits from Ike Davis, who continues to suck at the AAA level.

An outfield of Nieuwenhuis, Lagares and Byrd certainly fills the bill, defensively. But who is going to spell Captain Kirk when a southpaw faces the Mets? Nieuwy couldn't hit a lefthamder if he carried a tennis racquet and an oar up to the plate. Gotta platoon him with someone.

Lots a luck, Terry.

Veloz
the don

Roslyn Heights, NY

#35559 Jun 18, 2013
Fast Eddie wrote:
<quoted text>
It may be that Costas cannot conceive of how miserable a season this one has been for Mets fans and players alike. At the close of what had been 1-6 home stand, a sudden turnaround, walk-off HR by a player who had done nothing for almost three months was like winning the lottery for all of us. OF COURSE we're going to celebrate like it was October! That's probably going to be the high point of our season. Costas shouldn't begrudge us a fleeting moment of joy. Bottom line: he's a Cardinals fan. How long has it been since he's suffered through a shitty season?
Veloz
The high point of the Mets season was when Sandy showed some leadership for a change and finally shipped that overrated bum Big Ike to Las Vegas and put someone in the lineup in his place that might be able to hit .220...Worst first baseman in baseball with a Bat or a glove.
Fast Eddie

Myrtle Beach, SC

#35560 Jun 18, 2013
Ah, sweet victory! Despite almost non-stop rooting on the part of Jim Simpson, the Braves fell one run short of pulling even with the Mets and Matt Harvey finally got his sixth win of he season today. Here's a flash: Atlanta is the biggest bush-league town in MLB, as evidenced by the three jackasses in the booth and whoever does the official scoring down there. Unfortunately for me, whenever the Mets play a game against Atlanta, the SNY telecast is blocked in South Carolina and I am forced to listen/watch the Atlanta flood of constant cheerleading from Huey, Dewey and Louie.

The Bravos tallied three runs in the eighth frame with only one hard-hit ball produced by the nine batters who stepped to the plate. The "big inning" included a walk, a two-bouncer that David Wright misplayed (but which the official scorer ruled a hit), another ground ball that sneaked under Wright's glove, and a liner that Duda had flick off his glove at 1B for a two-run double. The Braves got every break imaginable and still couldn't pull even.

Simple Simpson was somehow under the impression that Bobby Parnell has had control problems this year. Wrong. Parnell was constantly ahead in the count; whenever an Atlanta batter managed not to swing at a close pitch, Simpson was obliged to say completely inane things like, "that was a great take." Who, outside of Atlanta, actually says stupid stuff like that?

Mercifully, I get two-and-a-half hours of quiet before the second game and Wheeler's MLB debut.

Veloz.

Emerald City

#35561 Jun 19, 2013
Finally, Finally, Finally. Excellent first game for Wheeler even though he was nervous and had some command problems in the beginning he pitched an excellent game against the first place Braves in their park no less. We win a double header in Atlanta and it's been quite a while for that. He threw enough zeros up on the scoreboard and kept his team in it until their bats woke up and scored. We could have had this from the beginning but I'll take it now. With Gee pitching back to form it makes for 3 pitchers worth watching, now Niese has to round out the rotation.

“Go Ahead Liberal, Make My Day”

Since: Dec 07

Florida...home of Trump

#35562 Jun 19, 2013
Met Mad Hatter wrote:
Finally, Finally, Finally. Excellent first game for Wheeler even though he was nervous and had some command problems in the beginning he pitched an excellent game against the first place Braves in their park no less. We win a double header in Atlanta and it's been quite a while for that. He threw enough zeros up on the scoreboard and kept his team in it until their bats woke up and scored. We could have had this from the beginning but I'll take it now. With Gee pitching back to form it makes for 3 pitchers worth watching, now Niese has to round out the rotation.
saw a few innings last night; he was impressive but his off speed throws seemed to evade him at times; likely nerves; there were way too many 3-2 counts. I do recall seeing a few on the radar at 96; that's nasty. After getting off to that incredible start in April, Braves haven't done much since hitting wise. What will do the Mets in are those 6th, 7th & 8th innings from the bullpen. Nobody can slam the door shut.
Clearwater Pete

Tampa, FL

#35563 Jun 19, 2013
The Mets rebuilding process is beginning to show up. As usual, it always starts with building around the pitching staff. Little by little we're getting there. It's a process necessary when starting from the bottom but will produce good long term results. When some money frees up in the off season or sooner, the addition of a couple decent bats will make us a much better team next year. If we can add a couple arms to the pen we will be in business. This is all within reach and the Mets will once again be competitive before long. Make no mistake about it.

“Another 240 million”

Up in smoke

#35564 Jun 19, 2013
Jerry Grote wrote:
<quoted text>
Does anyone care what that fossil Bob Costas has to say ? The guys a boob who's turning into another Brent Musberger I hit the mute whenever he calls a game. I wonder if he had a problem watching the Sox and D-Backs celebrate walkoffs last night "Like they just won a WS" he's a total moron and Met hater from the 80's. Jerry I had the pleasure of flying into Atlanta yesterday to watch Matt and Zack no words needed for Matt but Wheeler is incredible with his adrenaline sky high and the HP umpire squeezing him to death he kept his poise like a 10 year veteran.... the Braves couldn't touch him. Rafael Montero is next and Met personal and ML scouts say he's better then both, I've seen him pitch 4 times and I can vouch for that. I cant wait for 2014 and beyond as Sandy has kept his word every step of the way

“Another 240 million”

Up in smoke

#35565 Jun 19, 2013
In Sandy's on going talks with Colorado to try and swing a deal for Cargo it was nice to see him grab Eric Young Jr when his name came up as a throw in...getting him for next to nothing. Sandy's looking towards building this team into a major contender for many years to come and having a great bench is a good way to start

“Stay cool!!!!!”

Since: May 08

Santa Fe, NM

#35566 Jun 20, 2013
momma chamberlin wrote:
<quoted text>Does anyone care what that fossil Bob Costas has to say ? The guys a boob who's turning into another Brent Musberger I hit the mute whenever he calls a game. I wonder if he had a problem watching the Sox and D-Backs celebrate walkoffs last night "Like they just won a WS" he's a total moron and Met hater from the 80's. Jerry I had the pleasure of flying into Atlanta yesterday to watch Matt and Zack no words needed for Matt but Wheeler is incredible with his adrenaline sky high and the HP umpire squeezing him to death he kept his poise like a 10 year veteran.... the Braves couldn't touch him. Rafael Montero is next and Met personal and ML scouts say he's better then both, I've seen him pitch 4 times and I can vouch for that. I cant wait for 2014 and beyond as Sandy has kept his word every step of the way

omg...as you flew into Atlanta...now's the time to spring the I work for the mets bs line to them.

try and invite one of them to the suite also....

do you think they are stupid and fall for your bs

you have been wrong for 6 years on your proposed blockbusters...

doubt if they are that gullible.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jackson-Heights Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
jets talk back (Dec '07) 59 min jimi-yank 14,830
President Trump's first 100 days - Roadmap to D... (Nov '16) 5 hr SirLiesAlot 5,402
News More Aug '17 Tina 5
joey d`s pizzeria (Aug '09) May '17 Lisa 3
News Don Rickles, legendary comic, dead at age 90 (Apr '17) Apr '17 He made me laugh 1
News The Complexities of Being Both Latino and Muslim (Dec '16) Dec '16 Nonlib 3
News Immigration Lawyers Fear the Worst, Face Anxiou... (Nov '16) Nov '16 sugarbear 44

Jackson-Heights Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Jackson-Heights Mortgages