“Is this the best we have?”

Since: Aug 07

Emerald City

#35470 May 18, 2013
Jerry Grote wrote:
<quoted text>
He's right. Most fans have no idea about the game. Playing Little League or High School baseball is not the same as playing in the Major Leagues. Most fans have no idea what a major league locker room is like either. I love when players or managers tell the media and fans that you never played the game and have no idea about what it is really like. It drives the media and fans crazy because it is true, unless you played it at the highst level, just watch and keep the criticism to your talking radio heads and your friends at the bar.
Couldn't agree more with you.

Emerald City

#35471 May 18, 2013
Yogi Berra once said a manager is only as good as his players. Firing Collins proves nothing. In fact it might get worse under a new manager. You want to make a statement then demote a couple of players. Ike is in line for a demotion to the desert so is Hefner, and Marcum I would just cut him. show the players you mean business and let's see if they get the message. Firing the manager of this team means nothing.
Jerry Grote

AOL

#35472 May 19, 2013
Met Mad Hatter wrote:
Yogi Berra once said a manager is only as good as his players. Firing Collins proves nothing. In fact it might get worse under a new manager. You want to make a statement then demote a couple of players. Ike is in line for a demotion to the desert so is Hefner, and Marcum I would just cut him. show the players you mean business and let's see if they get the message. Firing the manager of this team means nothing.
Is anyone suprised by this season so far? You are right, what good would firing Collins do? He manages the players that he is given. It isn't his fault that they have outfielders that are not really major league ballplayers. The first baseman can't hit unless the calendar says July or August. The shortstop is a pop fly hitter. The catcher was a throw in and had a good month of April, but is not to be counted on for much more. The pitching staff has 2 maybe 3 legitimate starters and a cast of thousands in the bullpen. John McGraw and Miller Huggins couldn't manage this group to beyond 70 wins this season. Sending them down to the minors won't change anything either. I think they pretty much know that they are a bad team this year.

Emerald City

#35473 May 19, 2013
Jerry Grote wrote:
<quoted text>
Is anyone suprised by this season so far? You are right, what good would firing Collins do? He manages the players that he is given. It isn't his fault that they have outfielders that are not really major league ballplayers. The first baseman can't hit unless the calendar says July or August. The shortstop is a pop fly hitter. The catcher was a throw in and had a good month of April, but is not to be counted on for much more. The pitching staff has 2 maybe 3 legitimate starters and a cast of thousands in the bullpen. John McGraw and Miller Huggins couldn't manage this group to beyond 70 wins this season. Sending them down to the minors won't change anything either. I think they pretty much know that they are a bad team this year.
Let's see who is hitting. Wright, Turner, Murphy and Byrd. 3 infielders and one outfielder. The rest are below .250. The heavy hitters, Davis, Duda, and Buck are all hitting below .230. There are no excuses for this except for Buck he has caught to many games in a row and at this rate he may catch 140 games he needs to sit more, remember he was supposed to split the games with D'Arnaud. You might be right that sending someone down won't change anything but I'd like to them to try it just to see if the message sinks in that no one is guaranteed a slot like 1st base or left field.
Fast Eddie

Columbia, SC

#35474 May 21, 2013
Maybe the Mets could turn Ike Davis' offensive woes into a fan-participation event during home games. They could allow fans to participate in a pre-game lottery to select three or four fans to take turns replacing Ike when it's his turn to bat. How much worse worse would it be if civilians were enlisted to swing for Ike? Right now he's swinging like my Aunt Nellie when he bats.

If they won't send Davis down to AAA, they should at least be willing to let some lucky fans have a moment of big-league fun. Watching Ike in the batter's box these days is certainly fun-free.

Veloz

“Lets go Mets/49ers”

Since: Mar 10

Location hidden

#35475 May 22, 2013
just got word that the fat load at first base for us is being sent down. And I say GOOD RIDDANCE, YOU SUCK!!!!! I want no part of this fat load on the team next year when the Mets begin there run at stardom dominating the NL east for years to come

“Stay cool!!!!!”

Since: May 08

New York, NY

#35476 May 22, 2013
TMAN_Mets wrote:
just got word that the fat load at first base for us is being sent down. And I say GOOD RIDDANCE, YOU SUCK!!!!! I want no part of this fat load on the team next year when the Mets begin there run at stardom dominating the NL east for years to come

this is momma chamberlin. the original tman was a niner football fan, this fraud has used a version of his profile

for the past 2 years in the yank forum, momma has sworn how great ike davis is...

" I want" as if he has one thing to do with the mets...

mets need around 12 players, there will be no stardom run for years to come.
Fast Eddie

Columbia, SC

#35477 May 23, 2013
Once again the Mets' defense conspired to pull the rug out from under Bobby Parnell yesterday at Citi. This time they got some assistance from the official scorer, who somehow decided to credit Brandon Phillips with a double on a checked-swing dribbler down the first base line that Ike Davis decided not to field because he was mistakenly under the impression that it was a foul ball. That's right, the batter gets an undeserved hit because a fielder chooses not to field a ball that is hit right at him. That's a new one for me. I've never seen anybody do what Ike did yesterday. How come this seems to happen so often to the Mets?

I think the whole franchise is cursed.

Veloz

Emerald City

#35478 May 25, 2013
Congratulations Mets you now have the worst club record since 1993. You have to go back 20 years nto find a Met team that was at least 10 games under 500 on this date in May. Today they are 17-27 in 93 they were 14-29 and so far attendance is dipping at Citi they are averaging a little over 25,000 per game. The attendance could change and get worse as the team falls further and further below .500. Way to go Freddy.
Fast Eddie

Columbia, SC

#35479 May 25, 2013
Haven't we seen enough of Dillon Gee's inability to pitch more than four decent innings per outing? All the signs of an imminent blow-up were there in the fourth frame when the Braves' hitters kept fouling off pitch after pitch. Gee's inability to miss bats finally doomed him in the fifth when the Braves pounded him silly. Throwing waist-high fastballs is no way to succeed in the major leagues, Dillon. Wake up!

At least Jeremy Hefner can go six or more innings with some regularity. I nominate Gee to take a seat when Zack Wheeler gets to NYC.

Veloz
Tango

Phoenix, AZ

#35480 May 25, 2013
Met Mad Hatter wrote:
Congratulations Mets you now have the worst club record since 1993. You have to go back 20 years nto find a Met team that was at least 10 games under 500 on this date in May. Today they are 17-27 in 93 they were 14-29 and so far attendance is dipping at Citi they are averaging a little over 25,000 per game. The attendance could change and get worse as the team falls further and further below .500. Way to go Freddy.
Stupid fat slob momma chamberlin/aka t-man said the muts would be in the wild card race this year......I'm busting up laughing over that......momma is nothing short of a stupid clueless moron.......knows nothing at all about sports.......LMFAO

Emerald City

#35481 May 26, 2013
Well Met fans since the season is over it is time to start the under over pools. 1) will mets win under or over 50 games. 2) Will Marcum win under or over 3 games. 3) Will Ike bat under or over .100. 4)Will Hefner win under or over 3 games...4) Side pool who wins 1st game before the other Hefner or Marcum. 5) How many games before Marcum pitches 5 innings? 6) In 30 starts will Marcum pitch under or over 100 innings. 7) Will Parnell have under or over 15 save opportunities. 8) And now the big one will the Mets draw under or over 800 thousand fans before 2014 begins. Might as well have fun. Is it 1977 again?
Fast Eddie

Columbia, SC

#35482 May 26, 2013
I know it's easy to take a passive attitude when you live almost a thousand miles from Citi Field. But seriously, I wouldn't pay to see the current crop of Mets play if I lived right there in Flushing. These guys, Matt Harvey and David Wight excepted, are both terrible and boring. I feel sorry or Terry Collins, who must be pulling his hair out trying to conjure up a major-league lineup from a roster of AAA players.

Thanks to Bernie Madoff and Omar Minaya, the Mets have totally screwed up their team budget and their farm system. The fan base has to grit it's teeth and wait for the contracts of Jason Bay and Johan Santana to come off he books before anything can be done about stocking the roster with some actual ML batters. Promising pitching prospects we have, but nary a decent outfielder can be found down on the farm.

It's going to be a long wait for this to get better, I fear.

Veloz.

Emerald City

#35483 May 26, 2013
Well the Mets have hit rock bottom and now they have taken out the jack hammer and will proceed to dig right through to China.

Emerald City

#35484 May 26, 2013
The Mets have hit rock bottom and have taken out the jack hammer and will proceed to dig to China.

Emerald City

#35485 May 26, 2013
And now a word from the Mets...."Lose".

Since: May 13

Stone Mountain, Georgia

#35486 May 26, 2013
Met Mad Hatter wrote:
The problem with the Mets is that the wrong partner sold out back in 2000. Nelson Doubleday was a true baseball fan and he built a good team when he bought them back in 1980. Wilpon was a minor owner and silent partner in those days. They never really got along. Doubleday was interest in building a team and Wilpon being a Real Estate magnet was interesting in building a stadium. Saddest day in Met fans history was when Doubleday sold the team to Wilpon because Doubledays kids had no interest in running the team they were only interested in running the publishing business. Well Mr. Wilpon you built the Stadium and nearly bankrupted yourself and the Mets. You have very little money to reinvest in your team and make it solid. You can blame Alderson, Collins and the entire Met system but the real truth is and I am borrowing from Yogi here "A good owner makes a good organization" and you need money to reinvest in your entire system to make it a good team. Fred look across the river and see what a great organization looks like they make a lot of money and then they bury a lot of it back into the organization. They invest in their own product. Get it Fred. You don't have that money, sell.
Can you further explain your 'look across the river' comment ? Since the winter of 08 how do they 'bury a lot of it back into the organization'

Emerald City

#35487 May 27, 2013
Sam Bowers Jr wrote:
<quoted text>Can you further explain your 'look across the river' comment ? Since the winter of 08 how do they 'bury a lot of it back into the organization'
First let me state this "I am a Mets fan, but I also like baseball". So baseball begins for you in 2008? From 1903 till 2007 it doesn't exist. So baseball before Flood v Kuhn means nothing to you? Does 1972 mean anything to you in baseball? Since you have a shallow historical back round I will make my explanation brief and to the point. Historically the Yankee Organization has always offered the largest signing bonuses to the best players it's scouts could find therefore creating a premier farm system and this is how you reinvest your money.

Stone Mountain, Georgia

#35488 May 27, 2013
Met Mad Hatter wrote:
<quoted text>First let me state this "I am a Mets fan, but I also like baseball". So baseball begins for you in 2008? From 1903 till 2007 it doesn't exist. So baseball before Flood v Kuhn means nothing to you? Does 1972 mean anything to you in baseball? Since you have a shallow historical back round I will make my explanation brief and to the point. Historically the Yankee Organization has always offered the largest signing bonuses to the best players it's scouts could find therefore creating a premier farm system and this is how you reinvest your money.
You wrote the Yankees re-invest money into the organization when in fact since Mr. Steinbrenner passed they have not. I'm well aware of baseball history but you seem to want too pick and choose eras. Did the Yankees re-invest in the team from 1965-1974 ? Of course not, have the Steinbrenner sons and daughter re-invested in the team since his passing ? They've actually closed down minor league teams, why don't you re-read history before making absurd statements. I'm a baseball fan and don't look at teams with rose colored glasses, free agents are hit or miss. You were probably overjoyed with the Mets spending spree in recent past years that all looked great on paper and you probably thought Hamilton and Pujols would be the next Mantle and Maris. Get real pal.

Stone Mountain, Georgia

#35489 May 27, 2013
Met Mad Hatter wrote:
<quoted text>First let me state this "I am a Mets fan, but I also like baseball". So baseball begins for you in 2008? From 1903 till 2007 it doesn't exist. So baseball before Flood v Kuhn means nothing to you? Does 1972 mean anything to you in baseball? Since you have a shallow historical back round I will make my explanation brief and to the point. Historically the Yankee Organization has always offered the largest signing bonuses to the best players it's scouts could find therefore creating a premier farm system and this is how you reinvest your money.
Are you talking about the Kansas City Atheltics as being the Yankees farm system in the 50's and 60's or are you talking about the Yankee farm system that had produced the likes of Horace Clarke among other notables once MLB closed shop in KC ? After Guidry and Munson it went dry for 20+ years until Jeter, Posada, Pettite and Rivera who by the way was bought, the Yankee farm system hasn't produced one notable major leaguer to play for them since, with nothing on the horizon. You should really check baseball history before shooting off the mouth.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jackson-Heights Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Three R's: Reichwing Republican Rants (Sep '10) 10 min scirocco 1,439
Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 15 min Pearl Jam 308,036
Why do all Puerto Rican men cheat? (Aug '11) 16 min gether 39
HILLARY will be THE BEST PRESIDENT EVER 18 min scirocco 246
OBAMA is the BEST PRESIDENT EVER (Nov '10) 42 min Bloody Bill Anderson 17,536
Reasons to cheer For President Obama One, Two..... (Apr '12) 49 min ILAL 792
Add a word, Drop a word (Dec '09) 1 hr Princess Hey 9,778

Jackson-Heights News Video

Jackson-Heights Dating
Find my Match