“Is this the best we have?”

Since: Aug 07

Emerald City

#35483 May 26, 2013
Well the Mets have hit rock bottom and now they have taken out the jack hammer and will proceed to dig right through to China.

Emerald City

#35484 May 26, 2013
The Mets have hit rock bottom and have taken out the jack hammer and will proceed to dig to China.

Emerald City

#35485 May 26, 2013
And now a word from the Mets...."Lose".

Since: May 13

Stone Mountain, Georgia

#35486 May 26, 2013
Met Mad Hatter wrote:
The problem with the Mets is that the wrong partner sold out back in 2000. Nelson Doubleday was a true baseball fan and he built a good team when he bought them back in 1980. Wilpon was a minor owner and silent partner in those days. They never really got along. Doubleday was interest in building a team and Wilpon being a Real Estate magnet was interesting in building a stadium. Saddest day in Met fans history was when Doubleday sold the team to Wilpon because Doubledays kids had no interest in running the team they were only interested in running the publishing business. Well Mr. Wilpon you built the Stadium and nearly bankrupted yourself and the Mets. You have very little money to reinvest in your team and make it solid. You can blame Alderson, Collins and the entire Met system but the real truth is and I am borrowing from Yogi here "A good owner makes a good organization" and you need money to reinvest in your entire system to make it a good team. Fred look across the river and see what a great organization looks like they make a lot of money and then they bury a lot of it back into the organization. They invest in their own product. Get it Fred. You don't have that money, sell.
Can you further explain your 'look across the river' comment ? Since the winter of 08 how do they 'bury a lot of it back into the organization'

Emerald City

#35487 May 27, 2013
Sam Bowers Jr wrote:
<quoted text>Can you further explain your 'look across the river' comment ? Since the winter of 08 how do they 'bury a lot of it back into the organization'
First let me state this "I am a Mets fan, but I also like baseball". So baseball begins for you in 2008? From 1903 till 2007 it doesn't exist. So baseball before Flood v Kuhn means nothing to you? Does 1972 mean anything to you in baseball? Since you have a shallow historical back round I will make my explanation brief and to the point. Historically the Yankee Organization has always offered the largest signing bonuses to the best players it's scouts could find therefore creating a premier farm system and this is how you reinvest your money.

Stone Mountain, Georgia

#35488 May 27, 2013
Met Mad Hatter wrote:
<quoted text>First let me state this "I am a Mets fan, but I also like baseball". So baseball begins for you in 2008? From 1903 till 2007 it doesn't exist. So baseball before Flood v Kuhn means nothing to you? Does 1972 mean anything to you in baseball? Since you have a shallow historical back round I will make my explanation brief and to the point. Historically the Yankee Organization has always offered the largest signing bonuses to the best players it's scouts could find therefore creating a premier farm system and this is how you reinvest your money.
You wrote the Yankees re-invest money into the organization when in fact since Mr. Steinbrenner passed they have not. I'm well aware of baseball history but you seem to want too pick and choose eras. Did the Yankees re-invest in the team from 1965-1974 ? Of course not, have the Steinbrenner sons and daughter re-invested in the team since his passing ? They've actually closed down minor league teams, why don't you re-read history before making absurd statements. I'm a baseball fan and don't look at teams with rose colored glasses, free agents are hit or miss. You were probably overjoyed with the Mets spending spree in recent past years that all looked great on paper and you probably thought Hamilton and Pujols would be the next Mantle and Maris. Get real pal.

Stone Mountain, Georgia

#35489 May 27, 2013
Met Mad Hatter wrote:
<quoted text>First let me state this "I am a Mets fan, but I also like baseball". So baseball begins for you in 2008? From 1903 till 2007 it doesn't exist. So baseball before Flood v Kuhn means nothing to you? Does 1972 mean anything to you in baseball? Since you have a shallow historical back round I will make my explanation brief and to the point. Historically the Yankee Organization has always offered the largest signing bonuses to the best players it's scouts could find therefore creating a premier farm system and this is how you reinvest your money.
Are you talking about the Kansas City Atheltics as being the Yankees farm system in the 50's and 60's or are you talking about the Yankee farm system that had produced the likes of Horace Clarke among other notables once MLB closed shop in KC ? After Guidry and Munson it went dry for 20+ years until Jeter, Posada, Pettite and Rivera who by the way was bought, the Yankee farm system hasn't produced one notable major leaguer to play for them since, with nothing on the horizon. You should really check baseball history before shooting off the mouth.

Emerald City

#35490 May 27, 2013
Sam Bowers Jr wrote:
<quoted text>Are you talking about the Kansas City Atheltics as being the Yankees farm system in the 50's and 60's or are you talking about the Yankee farm system that had produced the likes of Horace Clarke among other notables once MLB closed shop in KC ? After Guidry and Munson it went dry for 20+ years until Jeter, Posada, Pettite and Rivera who by the way was bought, the Yankee farm system hasn't produced one notable major leaguer to play for them since, with nothing on the horizon. You should really check baseball history before shooting off the mouth.
The thing about baseball history is that you can look it up. In the 50's a$$hole Most of the Yankee stars came from Yankee amateur draft signings. Mantle, Bauer, Berra, McDougald, Skowron, Ford, Collins et al were all signed by the Yankees. I have nothing more to say to you.

Emerald City

#35491 May 27, 2013
Sam Bowers Jr wrote:
<quoted text>You wrote the Yankees re-invest money into the organization when in fact since Mr. Steinbrenner passed they have not. I'm well aware of baseball history but you seem to want too pick and choose eras. Did the Yankees re-invest in the team from 1965-1974 ? Of course not, have the Steinbrenner sons and daughter re-invested in the team since his passing ? They've actually closed down minor league teams, why don't you re-read history before making absurd statements. I'm a baseball fan and don't look at teams with rose colored glasses, free agents are hit or miss. You were probably overjoyed with the Mets spending spree in recent past years that all looked great on paper and you probably thought Hamilton and Pujols would be the next Mantle and Maris. Get real pal.
First off I don't care for free agency, it's not the way to make a team.The era that you are mentioning 65-74 the Yankees were owned by CBS and Mike Burke was the president and those people at CBS could give a crap about baseball in fact it was better for CBS if the Yankees lost money to them it was a tax write off. I'm a Met fan and under the Wilpons and Minyah this team and it's farm system were set back. It is going to take Alderson a long time to get it back to the early 80's state.

Stone Mountain, Georgia

#35492 May 27, 2013
Met Mad Hatter wrote:
<quoted text>First off I don't care for free agency, it's not the way to make a team.The era that you are mentioning 65-74 the Yankees were owned by CBS and Mike Burke was the president and those people at CBS could give a crap about baseball in fact it was better for CBS if the Yankees lost money to them it was a tax write off. I'm a Met fan and under the Wilpons and Minyah this team and it's farm system were set back. It is going to take Alderson a long time to get it back to the early 80's state.
In the future before you post look up the facts first. You posted "historically" the Yankees re-invest in the organization, maybe post occasionally the Yankees re-invest in their organization, which they havnt since Mr Steinbrenner passed, maybe history is repeating itself.
humus

Hendersonville, TN

#35493 May 27, 2013
[QUOTE http://www.dcavelaw.com/ who="Dr A Degall"]Starting another....[/QUOTE]

con lo

Emerald City

#35494 May 27, 2013
Sam Bowers Jr wrote:
<quoted text>In the future before you post look up the facts first. You posted "historically" the Yankees re-invest in the organization, maybe post occasionally the Yankees re-invest in their organization, which they havnt since Mr Steinbrenner passed, maybe history is repeating itself.
Nope, I don't think I need too. Since 2008 the team across the river has been to the playoff 4 years and won a world series. Last time my team won a world series was 27 years. George retired in 2006 and that team across the river made it to the playoffs 5 out of 6 yrs.I'm done with this guy your honor.

“Another 240 million”

Since: May 09

Up in smoke

#35495 May 27, 2013
Nice win for the kids tonight
Tango

Phoenix, AZ

#35496 May 27, 2013
momma chamberlin wrote:
Nice win for the kids tonight
But the flushing bums are buried in 4th place fatso......and no titles moron since 1986......too funny ROTFLMFAO
Jerry Grote

AOL

#35497 May 28, 2013
Sam Bowers Jr wrote:
<quoted text>Are you talking about the Kansas City Atheltics as being the Yankees farm system in the 50's and 60's or are you talking about the Yankee farm system that had produced the likes of Horace Clarke among other notables once MLB closed shop in KC ? After Guidry and Munson it went dry for 20+ years until Jeter, Posada, Pettite and Rivera who by the way was bought, the Yankee farm system hasn't produced one notable major leaguer to play for them since, with nothing on the horizon. You should really check baseball history before shooting off the mouth.
Sam, you are probably older than most of these people who post here, so let me warn you, they aren't old enough to remember anything prior to 1995. With the exception of Fast Eddie and myself be prepared to see postings about 27 World Championships and nothing about 1965-1975 or 1982-1994. To most of these people those years didn't exist. Great point about the Kansas City A's, who were in fact the Yankee farm system. Ask them about Jerry Kenney, Freddie Frazier or Frank Tepidino and they have nothing to say.

Stone Mountain, Georgia

#35498 May 28, 2013
Jerry Grote wrote:
<quoted text>
Sam, you are probably older than most of these people who post here, so let me warn you, they aren't old enough to remember anything prior to 1995. With the exception of Fast Eddie and myself be prepared to see postings about 27 World Championships and nothing about 1965-1975 or 1982-1994. To most of these people those years didn't exist. Great point about the Kansas City A's, who were in fact the Yankee farm system. Ask them about Jerry Kenney, Freddie Frazier or Frank Tepidino and they have nothing to say.
LOL I'm not that old Jerry. I'm a baseball fan and I'm well aware of how young ones perceive the game. I don't hold anything against George Steinbrenner for taking advantage of free agency after all this is America, he bought a franchise at the bottom and through free agency brought it to the top, that being said he did nothing else to replenish the system as some people think. When you give a person 25 more darts then the others have you should hit the cork more often. Baseball history will also show the Yankees did the same in the early days having money to outspend every other team in the game thus getting the best young players. The baseball players union is one of the strongest in the nation and it took MLB awhile to finally somewhat level the playing field implementing a luxury tax starting next season, hopefully a salary cap will follow. The Steinbrenner heirs don't seem interested in 'reinvesting' profits into the team as they havnt since the winter of 08 and have no plans in the future going so far as closing down minor league teams. Some owners want attention and some owners want to make all the money they can....the Steinbrenner sons and daughter choose to make as much as they can off the fans their father put in the seats. It's starting to get old as shown by the declining Yankee attendance, New Yorkers I'm told know a sham when they see one.
Fast Eddie

Myrtle Beach, SC

#35499 May 28, 2013
My Two Cents Dept: I was a kid when the Yankees ruled the baseball world in the period 1947-64, and I recall that their success was the result of a strong farm system AND the cooperation of the Kansas City franchise that was willing to ship their very best players to the Yanks in return for a shitload of overhyped Yankee farmhands. The whole empire came tumbling down in 1965, when the Yanks all seemed to get old simultaneously.

There was a brief revival in 1975-81 but things fell apart again after that, which was a shame for Don Mattingly. The Yanks turned around and started pouring money into the farm system again under Gene Michaels, finally paying off in 1996 with the arrival of Jeter, Williams, Posada, Rivera and Pettitte. That era is now drawing to a close and it remains to be seen how productive the farm system will be in the next few years.

As for our Mets, first Johnny Murphy, then Frank Cashen built strong farm systems that paid off in three NL flags and two WS championships. Since 1990 the farm system has languished. Steve Phillips and Omar Minaya tried throwing millions at free agents and superannuated Latinos, with predictably awful results.

That brings us to 2010 and the dawn of the Alderson regime, which means reinvesting in the farm system, which history has shown to be the best way to develop a long-term contender. The fact hat Bernie Madoff managed to drain a
ton of money from the Wilpons' vault is just one more unwelcome complication that Sandy has to deal with.

Hang in there, boys, it's going to be a bumpy ride and we all need to fasten our seat belts.

Veloz

“Another 240 million”

Up in smoke

#35500 May 28, 2013
Another nice win for the kids tonight

“Another 240 million”

Up in smoke

#35501 May 28, 2013
IP H ER BB K
8 6 1 0 10

The scary part is he was nowhere near his best...and what's scarier is Montero and Wheeler are considered better, with Syndergaard right behind them, I can't wait for 2014 and beyond

Emerald City

#35502 May 29, 2013
Fast Eddie wrote:
My Two Cents Dept: I was a kid when the Yankees ruled the baseball world in the period 1947-64, and I recall that their success was the result of a strong farm system AND the cooperation of the Kansas City franchise that was willing to ship their very best players to the Yanks in return for a shitload of overhyped Yankee farmhands. The whole empire came tumbling down in 1965, when the Yanks all seemed to get old simultaneously.
There was a brief revival in 1975-81 but things fell apart again after that, which was a shame for Don Mattingly. The Yanks turned around and started pouring money into the farm system again under Gene Michaels, finally paying off in 1996 with the arrival of Jeter, Williams, Posada, Rivera and Pettitte. That era is now drawing to a close and it remains to be seen how productive the farm system will be in the next few years.
As for our Mets, first Johnny Murphy, then Frank Cashen built strong farm systems that paid off in three NL flags and two WS championships. Since 1990 the farm system has languished. Steve Phillips and Omar Minaya tried throwing millions at free agents and superannuated Latinos, with predictably awful results.
That brings us to 2010 and the dawn of the Alderson regime, which means reinvesting in the farm system, which history has shown to be the best way to develop a long-term contender. The fact hat Bernie Madoff managed to drain a
ton of money from the Wilpons' vault is just one more unwelcome complication that Sandy has to deal with.
Hang in there, boys, it's going to be a bumpy ride and we all need to fasten our seat belts.
Veloz
Amen. That's exactly the way I remember it. The great Met teams of the 80's was base in their traditionally strong farm system which produced a super pitching staff and a great power hitter in Strawberry. Alderson is now beginning to rebuild that tradition of a great pitching staff. We also had a great one in the 1960's and into the 70's. It is going to be bumpy.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jackson-Heights Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Yankee talk back 4, or is it 5 (Aug '08) 14 min YANKEES 4 LIFE 329,720
Time to go? (Jun '15) 1 hr State of Florida 11,945
HILLARY will be THE BEST PRESIDENT EVER (Dec '14) 1 hr man not pretending 10,958
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 1 hr Earthling-1 60,093
can i pretend to be a cop???? 2 hr man not pretending 1
Drop a Word, Add a Word (Jan '10) 5 hr GEORGIA 14,637
Add a word, Drop a word (Dec '09) 6 hr rainmaker2016 15,428
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Jackson-Heights Mortgages