After 56 years, Photocircuits closing...

After 56 years, Photocircuits closing down

There are 140 comments on the Newsday story from Feb 28, 2007, titled After 56 years, Photocircuits closing down. In it, Newsday reports that:

Photocircuits Corp., the 56-year-old Glen Cove circuit-board maker that defied conventional logic by maintaining high-tech manufacturing operations on Long Island, Wednesday succumbed to competitive realities, ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Brooklyn, NY

#1 Feb 28, 2007
I never heard of Michael Nussbaum.

San Josť, Costa Rica

#2 Mar 1, 2007

Shrub Oak, NY

#3 Mar 1, 2007
The downfall of America is well underway. Soon the rich will feel it here on Long Island also. Without jobs, with out a middle class, without Young people. Long Island will crash-out completely in less then 20 years. You rich people who are left, will be the only ones who can foot the bill. Good Luck...
John Endee

Brooklyn, NY

#4 Mar 1, 2007
Not a surpise, it is amazing it lasted this long considering the lack of management and oversight at the company.
John Endee

Brooklyn, NY

#5 Mar 1, 2007
Hopefully we can disolve our Costa Rica operations without any further financial loss. That project was a money waster from day one.
Lorna Odegaard

United States

#6 Mar 1, 2007
This company closing down and laying off so many longtime employees is unfortunately our destiny in the USA.
We need politians that stick up for the company's in the USA. Unfortunately the politicians are so financially involved with the China market that all they see is greed!
Ray Kremer

Yaphank, NY

#7 Mar 1, 2007
I work for one of the few remaining printed Circuit Board Manufacturers on Long Island. It is a shame how American companies have deserted their local suppliers for the cheaper offshore prices. We cannot compete with the cheap labor of these offsohre companies. Add in the Utility and Insurance expenses on Long Island and it becomes nearly impossible. There are a lot more jobs to be lost in this country and in many industries if we do not find a way to control the undercutting of foreign companies. One day the sellers will run out of buyers because thy have put them all out of work.

#8 Mar 1, 2007
When are Americans companies going to start to help other Americans companies in stead of saving a penny. DON'T THESE PEOPLE REALIZE THAT THEY COULD BE NEXT. It started with a couple of illegals what could they hurt just do some odd jobs and has snowballed into millions of American jobs outsorced.

Since: Jan 07

Long Island

#9 Mar 1, 2007
What you people don't realize is that outsourcing is like deflation; it is so hard to stop once it gets started. All we do is consume and continue to produce less.

When a company outsources, their competition has to outsource to remain competitive or they'll go under. Yes, it's a shame, outsourcing is here to stay and there is nothing anyone can do now to stop it but let it take its course. We will soon hit rock bottom in a very bad recession (depression?) and America will have to rebuild itself and start all over.

Unfortunately, those who are paying unrealistic prices for housing here on Long Island as well as anywhere along the coasts of the U.S. are going to be financially ruined! It's sad, but so many don't understand this; they are just lemmings marching off a cliff.

New York, NY

#10 Mar 1, 2007
I interviewed at this place 3 years ago...I didn't even have to speak to anybody to know that it was a graveyard. I think many people were probably deluded into thinking...A. The company would make a comeback, or B. Photocircuits would eventually move operations overseas and the local employees would get a severance.

Neither happened and let this be a lesson. However, American manufacturing is not sunk. That is a false notion. We need to find other technically oriented businesses and entice them to setup shop on Long Island.
Big Easy Cheese

Albany, OR

#11 Mar 1, 2007
Sorry to see this happen to such a large company on Long Island and all the jobs people are going to lose, but that's what happens to old industries. Look at what's happened to steel, textiles, and other industries: Going to Asia and India. Who's fault is that? OUR OWN since that's what we buy.

Before long there won't be much left in this country except for lawyers and municipal workers.

Bronx, NY

#12 Mar 1, 2007
I worked at PhotoCircuits for a few months twenty years ago and remember it well. For me it was just temporary employment but for many workers, a majority of whom were Spanish speaking people, it was their livelihood and it's sad to see the place close down. It's getting so that Long Island is becoming the land of wealthy professionals and their landscapers, with not much in between.

#13 Mar 2, 2007
My Dad worked at the company for over 20 years. Sad to see it close. Wonder what Bob and Jim Swiggett think of this mess. The merger with Kollmorgen Corporation was the begin of the end. Furthermore, with all the chemical used in the plating process on this site, I wonder who would buy this property.
Paulina M

Milford, CT

#14 Mar 2, 2007
yes thankyou very much..thanks to photocircuts closing...glen cove has nothing to offer any more and my father is now is my family going to a student at glen cove high school..this is defintly the last thing i was expecting for my senior year.

Campbellsville, KY

#15 Mar 3, 2007
Americans better start yelling, in loud numbers, that we are fed up with this. You can fight back, quit buying foreign made anything!

If you don't actually need something, don't buy it!

If I see an article of clothing I like, and it's made in China, I won't buy is hard to find anything made here now...unfortunately some large ticket items are only made there and our money is going to beef up China's armies!

I remember reading some companies in England, outsourced their call centers to India. The Brits raised Hell and now they are bringing the jobs back.

If Americans banded together, we could send a strong message!

Newark, NJ

#16 Mar 8, 2007
John Endee wrote:
Not a surpise, it is amazing it lasted this long considering the lack of management and oversight at the company.
Are you the previous owner or the son of the previous owner? Eitherway, it started back then when either you or your daddy thought the Phillipines was a great idea.........See what it became !.......So stop giving opinios, because you really are the root cause of this demise.
Angelo Cervoni

United States

#17 Mar 8, 2007
I worked at photocircuits three years ago for 7 years. it was a great place to work at back then. it was like one big family. im sorry to see it go under.
tom maslar

Brentwood, NY

#18 Mar 11, 2007
long island is a place for those sans weak minds to thrive. You got what you desrve--quit yer bitchin

#19 Mar 17, 2007
I worked for Photocircuits for almost 5 years.. it was a great experience yet very tragic...

we just wished that the management or the owner himself didnt cover up what's really happening... what bad about this closing issue is that they still held meetings disclaiming of the rumor.. and even called "them" (those people who are spreading the news) CRAZY PEOPLE... i dont think they are... but YOU GUYS AT THE MGT!!!! Hope you can sleep well at night thinking what have you done to those poor employees who have dedicated their life serving the company and at the end.. being tricked and fooled!!!!
ex worker

Cedartown, GA

#20 Mar 17, 2007
XXX wrote:
what rights? you should never been here to begin with of course Bush and co. will make it easer for you wet backs to come up and stay. go home and pick bananas

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jackson-Heights Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 6 min June VanDerMark 334,410
Mets talkback (Dec '07) 9 min jimi-yank 46,792
President Trump's first 100 days - Roadmap to D... (Nov '16) 14 min Donnie Darko Trump 7,072
AMEND the SECOND AMENDMENT ! 22 min Second Amendment Sam 2
GO KIDS GO ! .... The New Generation RULES ! 23 min Second Amendment Sam 1
Whine and Cheese: Where are the crackers (Dec '09) 58 min ILAL 1,815
Run,Run, Run, The Republicans are Coming! (Jan '11) 1 hr ILAL 2,489

Jackson-Heights Jobs

Personal Finance

Jackson-Heights Mortgages