shameless-li

Denver, CO

#1 May 15, 2013
"Most people are outraged that the IRS recently targeted 300 or more conservatives groups. Even liberals are mad. But we should keep a sense of proportion and recall that the IRS targeted liberal groups under President Bush, writes Alex Seitz-Wald in liberal mag Salon.
"In 2004, the IRS went after the NAACP, auditing the nation's oldest civil rights group after its chairman criticized President Bush for being the first sitting president since Herbert Hoover not to address the organization," writes Seitz-Wald. He quotes the then NAACP chairman: "It's pretty obvious that the complainant was someone who doesn't believe George Bush should be criticized, and it's obvious of their response that the IRS believes this, too."
In 2006, the IRS investigated Greenpeace at the instigation of a pressure group funded by Exxon Mobile.
In 2005 the Senate held a hearing on political activity by "social welfare" groups, at which it was noted that the IRS needed "to better define the lines between politics and social welfare," writes Seitz-Wald. Yet nothing was done. Meanwhile nonprofits experienced bizarre inconsistencies, like the non-profit Emerge America which was given non-profit status in Kentucky but denied it in Massachusetts, Maine, and Nevada.
Given that history, perhaps we should focus on the IRS's decades-long inconsistency and sloppy rules rather than attacking the agency for partisanship under Obama, Seitz-Wald's piece implies."
Sandman

Bronx, NY

#2 May 15, 2013
shameless-li wrote:
"Most people are outraged that the IRS recently targeted 300 or more conservatives groups. Even liberals are mad. But we should keep a sense of proportion and recall that the IRS targeted liberal groups under President Bush, writes Alex Seitz-Wald in liberal mag Salon.
"In 2004, the IRS went after the NAACP, auditing the nation's oldest civil rights group after its chairman criticized President Bush for being the first sitting president since Herbert Hoover not to address the organization," writes Seitz-Wald. He quotes the then NAACP chairman: "It's pretty obvious that the complainant was someone who doesn't believe George Bush should be criticized, and it's obvious of their response that the IRS believes this, too."
In 2006, the IRS investigated Greenpeace at the instigation of a pressure group funded by Exxon Mobile.
In 2005 the Senate held a hearing on political activity by "social welfare" groups, at which it was noted that the IRS needed "to better define the lines between politics and social welfare," writes Seitz-Wald. Yet nothing was done. Meanwhile nonprofits experienced bizarre inconsistencies, like the non-profit Emerge America which was given non-profit status in Kentucky but denied it in Massachusetts, Maine, and Nevada.
Given that history, perhaps we should focus on the IRS's decades-long inconsistency and sloppy rules rather than attacking the agency for partisanship under Obama, Seitz-Wald's piece implies."
This goes to show the hypocrisy by the Republicans who said nothing and expressed no outrage when the IRS went after the NAACP in 2004, and now all of a sudden they're "outraged" by the IRS who looked at Tea Party groups financed by the Koch brothers, Rupert Murdoch, Karl Rove, and Fox News?
It's a continual distraction by them to keep from talking about jobs and the economy much the way they used Obama's birth certificate to distract from the issues.
nac

Merrick, NY

#3 May 15, 2013
Sandman wrote:
<quoted text>
This goes to show the hypocrisy by the Republicans who said nothing and expressed no outrage when the IRS went after the NAACP in 2004, and now all of a sudden they're "outraged" by the IRS who looked at Tea Party groups financed by the Koch brothers, Rupert Murdoch, Karl Rove, and Fox News?
It's a continual distraction by them to keep from talking about jobs and the economy much the way they used Obama's birth certificate to distract from the issues.
When Republicans do a bad job, only "liberals" are mad. When Democrats do a bad job, only "conservatives" are mad.

Maybe we should wake up and start being Americans first, Democrat/Republican second.

ANY administration that sends the IRS after it's opposition is tyrannical. We should ALL be angry no matter who does it.

Sadly, that's too much to ask these days. This corrupt, partisan agency is about to take over your health care... feel good about that?
shameless-li

Denver, CO

#4 May 16, 2013
nac wrote:
<quoted text>
When Republicans do a bad job, only "liberals" are mad. When Democrats do a bad job, only "conservatives" are mad.
Maybe we should wake up and start being Americans first, Democrat/Republican second.
ANY administration that sends the IRS after it's opposition is tyrannical. We should ALL be angry no matter who does it.
Sadly, that's too much to ask these days. This corrupt, partisan agency is about to take over your health care... feel good about that?
i agree...
the problem is, is that no one wants to admit that they are wrong and made a mistake.
i don't vote for any particular party line. when i vote, i vote for the person who i believe is going to do the best job for me and the country.
now a day, people stick to party lines, regardless of whether or not their candidate is any good.
too bad they can't decide for themselves what is right.
Sandman

Bronx, NY

#5 May 20, 2013
nac wrote:
<quoted text>
When Republicans do a bad job, only "liberals" are mad. When Democrats do a bad job, only "conservatives" are mad.
Maybe we should wake up and start being Americans first, Democrat/Republican second.
ANY administration that sends the IRS after it's opposition is tyrannical. We should ALL be angry no matter who does it.
Sadly, that's too much to ask these days. This corrupt, partisan agency is about to take over your health care... feel good about that?
Maybe it works both ways.
nac

Merrick, NY

#6 May 20, 2013
Sandman wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe it works both ways.
So... as long as it is your preferred party ignoring law and the Constitution, it's ok?

Here's a novel idea... let's hold BOTH parties accountable for tyrannical nonsense!(Yes, even your preferred tyrants, sandman)

Until then (AND ONLY THEN) will we make any progress.

You, sandman, will let anything a democrat does slide. Your counterparts on the right will let anything a republican does slide.

Where does that get us??? Here. With a completely dysfunctional government, be it run by either side.

Who loses? The American people.

When will you people wake up? What will it take?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jackson-Heights Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 6 min Choicerocks 330,924
Run,Run, Run, The Republicans are Coming! (Jan '11) 33 min Chicagoan by Birth 2,370
President Trump's first 100 days - Roadmap to D... (Nov '16) 40 min Guinness Drinker 6,738
Add a word, Drop a word (Dec '09) 1 hr Intrepid Surfer 19,408
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 2 hr Patriot AKA Bozo 64,475
Mets talkback (Dec '07) 3 hr jimi-yank 46,443
Word Association (Jul '10) 5 hr winner 7,719

Jackson-Heights Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Jackson-Heights Mortgages