Comments
101 - 120 of 130 Comments Last updated Apr 30, 2014
Captain

Fullerton, CA

#102 Apr 5, 2014
Opinion wrote:
<quoted text>
You are right about the "huh"?
Why do I care about the State by State count or whether the count is 7.1 or 7.15?
If you want to know the exact numbers by the State or how they came to the total of 7.1 go look for the totals yourself, I'm not your errand boy.
If you are trying to dispute the numbers, I don't care whether you agree with that number or not. It is not relevant to me.
You lose. I asked you to defend a figure you believe and your leader are making headlines with. You have nothing. It's a made up figure. Come back when you have solid figures supported by evidence.

Give me ANY supporting data that adds up to 7.1 million.

By state.
By age group.
By gender.
By had insurance/didn't have insurance.
By race.
By insurance company.
Opinion

Hot Springs, SD

#103 Apr 6, 2014
Captain wrote:
<quoted text>
You lose. I asked you to defend a figure you believe and your leader are making headlines with. You have nothing. It's a made up figure. Come back when you have solid figures supported by evidence.
By state.
By age group.
By gender.
By race.
By insurance company.
Ok, I lose.

First I don't know if that information is officially out yet. Usually the published tally is for the prior month.

Second I'm not the one concerned about the figure of 7.1 or the breakdown.

Third it amazes me you don't also want it broke down to:
By eye color.
By religion.
By political party.

Third if you disagree with that number or want a detail break down call someone who cares.

“2014 ! The Bar is Open !”

Since: Dec 07

Daytona Beach

#104 Apr 7, 2014
Captain wrote:
<quoted text>
By state.
By age group.
By gender.
By race.
By insurance company.
not to worry; you'll get an answer....first it's Google, then Cut and Paste, then you'll get ranting.
enrollED

Denver, CO

#105 Apr 7, 2014
obamacare numbers and GOP excuses:

http://www.latimes.com/business/hiltzik/la-fi...
Los Angeles

Los Angeles, CA

#106 Apr 7, 2014
enrollED wrote:
obamacare numbers and GOP excuses:
http://www.latimes.com/business/hiltzik/la-fi...
That's a lame report.
Los Angeles

Los Angeles, CA

#107 Apr 10, 2014
Snack on this:

More than six months after the initial rollout of Obamacare -- and four years after the ACA’s passage -- the systems designed by HHS still cannot determine basic and critical information about enrollments such as whether a premium payment has been made. Without a premium payment, a sign-up in the web portal does not mean coverage has been extended.

Furthermore, the systems were not designed to collect important demographic information such as pre-existing coverage, current health status, or even definite age ranges, even though the success of the Obamacare structure depends on getting previously uninsured healthy Americans locked into expensive comprehensive insurance.

Without the “young invincibles” providing new funding for risk pools that now have to cover older and less-healthy consumers under “community pricing” restrictions, premiums will escalate rapidly, forcing more consumers out of the system and triggering the dreaded “death spiral” for insurers.
Los Angeles

Los Angeles, CA

#110 Apr 10, 2014
What? Sebellious is leaving?

Because of the success of the ACA I thought she would be the frontrunner for being the 2016 Democratic presidential nominee.
Opinion

Interior, SD

#111 Apr 10, 2014
Los Angeles wrote:
What? Sebellious is leaving?
Because of the success of the ACA I thought she would be the frontrunner for being the 2016 Democratic presidential nominee.
I would agree that she has strong qualifications and has held a number of positions including political where she has excelled at.

Maybe she is positioning herself for a spot on the 2016 ticket either at the top or as a possible VP choice.
Opinion

Interior, SD

#113 Apr 11, 2014
One thing about the ACA is that those who can pay something for their healthcare are being forced to do and in the long run I might escape some of their prior unpaid bills that were passed on.

If a hospital or clinic does not get paid, they need to recoup their losses somehow.

A study done by the CAP finds that providers often pass along the cost of treating the uninsured to their insured patients.

Its analysis found that families pay, on average, as much as $1,100 extra and individuals $410 extra in health-care premiums each year in order to cover the cost of treatment to uninsured patients who cannot afford to pay their bills.

That amounts to as much as 8% higher premiums due to the lack of universal health care in the U.S.

"So many Americans think that universal coverage is for the uninsured," says Senator Sheldon Whitehouse, a Rhode Island Democrat who has been a vocal advocate of health-care reform. "This is the hidden tax we all pay for our failure to insure all Americans."

Hospital emergency rooms, by federal law, have to treat anyone who comes in. This leads to millions of dollars in unpaid medical bills each year. Thus, when providers negotiate contracts with HMOs, for instance, they try to recoup some of those losses by raising prices for insured patients, which in turn leads to higher premiums.
Say what

Los Angeles, CA

#114 Apr 11, 2014
Opinion wrote:
One thing about the ACA is that those who can pay something for their healthcare are being forced to do and in the long run I might escape some of their prior unpaid bills that were passed on.
If a hospital or clinic does not get paid, they need to recoup their losses somehow.
A study done by the CAP finds that providers often pass along the cost of treating the uninsured to their insured patients.
Its analysis found that families pay, on average, as much as $1,100 extra and individuals $410 extra in health-care premiums each year in order to cover the cost of treatment to uninsured patients who cannot afford to pay their bills.
That amounts to as much as 8% higher premiums due to the lack of universal health care in the U.S.
"So many Americans think that universal coverage is for the uninsured," says Senator Sheldon Whitehouse, a Rhode Island Democrat who has been a vocal advocate of health-care reform. "This is the hidden tax we all pay for our failure to insure all Americans."
Hospital emergency rooms, by federal law, have to treat anyone who comes in. This leads to millions of dollars in unpaid medical bills each year. Thus, when providers negotiate contracts with HMOs, for instance, they try to recoup some of those losses by raising prices for insured patients, which in turn leads to higher premiums.
Hospital emergency rooms, by federal law, have to treat anyone who comes in.

Border patrol agents, by federal law, have to turn away anyone not legally permitted to be in the country.

ICE, by federal law, have to deport anyone not legally permitted to be in the country.
Opinion

Interior, SD

#115 Apr 11, 2014
Say what wrote:
<quoted text>
Hospital emergency rooms, by federal law, have to treat anyone who comes in.
Border patrol agents, by federal law, have to turn away anyone not legally permitted to be in the country.
ICE, by federal law, have to deport anyone not legally permitted to be in the country.
And your point is??????????

Hospital emergency cost not paid for are passed on to those who can pay.

The ACA at least makes some of those who can afford to either purchase healthcare or pay some of their healthcare costs do so.

Thus some of those passed on costs that I paid for are in the future going to be paid for by those people and less costs will be passed on.
Say what

Los Angeles, CA

#116 Apr 11, 2014
Opinion wrote:
<quoted text>
And your point is??????????
Hospital emergency cost not paid for are passed on to those who can pay.
The ACA at least makes some of those who can afford to either purchase healthcare or pay some of their healthcare costs do so.
Thus some of those passed on costs that I paid for are in the future going to be paid for by those people and less costs will be passed on.
My point is:

There is another policy move that will very significantly reduce the unpaid emergency room costs especially in our major cities. Can you guess what it is?
Opinion

Interior, SD

#117 Apr 11, 2014
Say what wrote:
<quoted text>
My point is:
There is another policy move that will very significantly reduce the unpaid emergency room costs especially in our major cities. Can you guess what it is?
I know of no political policy move. Very few hospitals do not accept Medicare, the law (Emergency Medical Treatment and Active Labor Act (EMTALA) applies to nearly all hospitals. If a private hospital refuses to accept Medicare or government money, they likely can refuse emergency care. I doubt that ever was major policy move and will not likely be in the future.

There is non-profit and for profit hospitals.

Some have tried a number of things such as closing their emergency care which only moves the emergency care somewhere else who passes on the unpaid costs. But even then either people don't get healthcare or some other hospital picks up more.

Others have tried to open free basic healthcare clinics to direct people there rather than into an emergency room at a hospital.Then the free basic clinics are free only to the people getting basic healthcare. Someone is likely footing the bill for the personnel, the building and the medical supplies.
Go where the money is

Fullerton, CA

#118 Apr 11, 2014
Opinion wrote:
<quoted text>
I know of no political policy move. Very few hospitals do not accept Medicare, the law (Emergency Medical Treatment and Active Labor Act (EMTALA) applies to nearly all hospitals. If a private hospital refuses to accept Medicare or government money, they likely can refuse emergency care. I doubt that ever was major policy move and will not likely be in the future.
There is non-profit and for profit hospitals.
Some have tried a number of things such as closing their emergency care which only moves the emergency care somewhere else who passes on the unpaid costs. But even then either people don't get healthcare or some other hospital picks up more.
Others have tried to open free basic healthcare clinics to direct people there rather than into an emergency room at a hospital.Then the free basic clinics are free only to the people getting basic healthcare. Someone is likely footing the bill for the personnel, the building and the medical supplies.
Immigrants are often uninsured and underinsured. Forty-three percent of noncitizens under 65 have no health insurance. That means there are 9.4 million uninsured immigrants, a majority of whom [are] in the country illegally, constituting 15 percent of the total uninsured in the nation in the mid-1990s. The cost of the medical care of these uninsured immigrants is passed onto the taxpayer, and strains the financial stability of the health care community.

Another problem is immigrants’ use of hospital and emergency services rather than preventative medical care. For example, utilization rate of hospitals and clinics by illegal aliens (29 percent) is more than twice the rate of the overall U.S. population (11 percent).
As a result, the costs of medical care for immigrants are staggering. The estimated cost of unreimbursed medical care in 2004 in California was about $1.4 billion per year. In Texas, the estimated cost was about $8.5 billion, and in Arizona the comparable estimate was $4 billion per year.

The problem is succinctly described by the following authorities on the subject:

“What is unseen is their [illegal aliens’] free medical care that has degraded and closed some of America’s finest emergency medical facilities, and caused hospital bankruptcies: 84 California hospitals are closing their doors,” Madeleine Peiner Cosman, Ph.D., Esq.,“Illegal Aliens and American Medicine,” Journal of American Physicians and Surgeons, Spring 2005.

"We're running an H.M.O. for illegal immigrants and if we keep it up, we're going to bankrupt the county,” Los Angeles County supervisor Michael D. Antonovich, New York Times, May 21, 2003.
Opinion

Interior, SD

#121 Apr 16, 2014
Go where the money is wrote:
<quoted text>
Immigrants are often uninsured and underinsured. Forty-three percent of noncitizens under 65 have no health insurance. That means there are 9.4 million uninsured immigrants, a majority of whom [are] in the country illegally, constituting 15 percent of the total uninsured in the nation in the mid-1990s. The cost of the medical care of these uninsured immigrants is passed onto the taxpayer, and strains the financial stability of the health care community.
Another problem is immigrants’ use of hospital and emergency services rather than preventative medical care. For example, utilization rate of hospitals and clinics by illegal aliens (29 percent) is more than twice the rate of the overall U.S. population (11 percent).
As a result, the costs of medical care for immigrants are staggering. The estimated cost of unreimbursed medical care in 2004 in California was about $1.4 billion per year. In Texas, the estimated cost was about $8.5 billion, and in Arizona the comparable estimate was $4 billion per year.
The problem is succinctly described by the following authorities on the subject:
“What is unseen is their [illegal aliens’] free medical care that has degraded and closed some of America’s finest emergency medical facilities, and caused hospital bankruptcies: 84 California hospitals are closing their doors,” Madeleine Peiner Cosman, Ph.D., Esq.,“Illegal Aliens and American Medicine,” Journal of American Physicians and Surgeons, Spring 2005.
"We're running an H.M.O. for illegal immigrants and if we keep it up, we're going to bankrupt the county,” Los Angeles County supervisor Michael D. Antonovich, New York Times, May 21, 2003.
I don't like it either but you can thank President Reagan.
Opinion

Interior, SD

#122 Apr 21, 2014
http://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-care/oba ...

Obamacare has helped nearly 10 million people to get new health insurance, and more than 4 percent of all Americans have gotten health insurance for the first time, according to a new Gallup poll.

It’s the largest poll yet to assess the effects of the 2010 Affordable Care Act, and the findings add to what’s been reported in earlier surveys and the government tally of how many people signed up through the new online exchanges.

The percentage of the U.S. population that has no health insurance has plummeted from an all-time high of 18 percent during the last quarter of 2013 to just 15 percent this past March.
In total, 9.9 million people got insurance since the last quarter of 2013, bringing the number of uninsured Americans down from 43.5 million to 36.3 million, Gallup says.

The Obama administration says at least 7.5 million people signed up for private health insurance on the online, health insurance exchanges that opened up in October. It says 3 million people have newly enrolled in Medicaid, the federal-state health insurance plan for people with low incomes.

“Politics is by far the huge driver of your opinion of the Affordable Care Act."

“We are moving Republicans out of the box where they are saying it is going to hurt health care,”
THE FUNNY THING IS

Monroe, NC

#123 Apr 21, 2014
Guinness Drinker wrote:
<quoted text>
not to worry; you'll get an answer....first it's Google, then Cut and Paste, then you'll get ranting.
his 'rants' are a cut and paste too! Pretty weird for someone ID'd as 'Opinion'.
Opinion

Interior, SD

#124 Apr 22, 2014
THE FUNNY THING IS wrote:
<quoted text>his 'rants' are a cut and paste too! Pretty weird for someone ID'd as 'Opinion'.
Republicans to stop pouting and pitch in.“I’ve always said that in any big piece of legislation there will be need to improve it over time,” he said.“But you have certain Republicans who think that making the law better is a concession to me. I recognize that their party is going through the stages of grief—anger, denial, all that stuff. We’re not at acceptance yet.”

Fully 35% of the new enrollees are under 35, according to the new figures.
http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/no-more-apologies-...

Adding injury to insult recent analyses showing that private insurance rates are rising at half the pre-Obamacare pace, that Medicare spending is essentially steady, that the Medicare trust fund is gaining life expectancy, and that the expansion of health care will cost significantly less than expected over the coming decade.

“The bottom line is that the share of Americans with health insurance is up,”
“Cost growth is down. People with coverage have more protection. And people are no longer being discriminated against for having pre-existing conditions or being women. This thing is working.”
Bloody Bill Anderson

Kuttawa, KY

#125 Apr 22, 2014
Opinion wrote:
<quoted text>
Republicans to stop pouting and pitch in.“I’ve always said that in any big piece of legislation there will be need to improve it over time,” he said.“But you have certain Republicans who think that making the law better is a concession to me. I recognize that their party is going through the stages of grief—anger, denial, all that stuff. We’re not at acceptance yet.”
Fully 35% of the new enrollees are under 35, according to the new figures.
http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/no-more-apologies-...
Adding injury to insult recent analyses showing that private insurance rates are rising at half the pre-Obamacare pace, that Medicare spending is essentially steady, that the Medicare trust fund is gaining life expectancy, and that the expansion of health care will cost significantly less than expected over the coming decade.
“The bottom line is that the share of Americans with health insurance is up,”
“Cost growth is down. People with coverage have more protection. And people are no longer being discriminated against for having pre-existing conditions or being women. This thing is working.”
The more Obamacare horror stories I hear from real people who have been screwed over by it, the more convinced I become that the only solution is to repeal the whole damned abominable mess and start over. This monster is like a mad dog. You can't cure it. You have to put it down.

It kills jobs. Look at all the full time people cut to part time. They will end up having to work two part time jobs, still not have insurance, and will end up paying the fine.

It caused many people to lose coverage that they already had and were satisfied with.

When the Supreme Court killed the Medicaid expansion in some states, it left millions of working poor people in limbo. Most of those people will end up paying the fine.

There is even the probability that poor people will, over time, drift out of the states that opted not to expand Medicaid and go to states that did. That will worsen the cost situation in the destination states.

In states that did expand Medicaid (Kentucky's "Gold Standard" comes to mind), many of the people who work in the local Welfare offices treat working poor people who came in to apply for the expanded Medicaid as if they were criminal suspects -- while at the same time bending over backward and jumping through hoops for their non-working "clients." Complaints up the chain of command, even to Gov. Steve Beshear (lying two faced bastard) get nowhere.
THANK YOU GOV MCRORY - NC

Monroe, NC

#126 Apr 22, 2014
Bloody Bill Anderson wrote:
<quoted text>
There is even the probability that poor people will, over time, drift out of the states that opted not to expand Medicaid and go to states that did. That will worsen the cost situation in the destination states.
Thank GOD the Governor refused to expand Medicaid based on the false promise by the federal government to pick up 90% of the tab after 3 years. That promise, like "you can keep your doctor", will be broken leaving the states holding the bill and possibly leading to bankruptcy.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jackson-Heights Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Yankee talk back 4, or is it 5 (Aug '08) 5 min Fumamchu in Hawaii 307,473
Nassau/Suffolk High School Football (Nov '11) 30 min SCFB 10,345
Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 53 min Brian_G 305,456
The Obama Epic FAIL BLOG (Feb '13) 1 hr Inane Opinion 560
Fox is going down (Dec '09) 1 hr - -SPOONER- - 5,463
USA and ISIS in Iraq 4 hr Opinion 49
Drop a Word, Add a Word (Jan '10) 5 hr Doug77 9,886
•••

Jackson-Heights News Video

•••