No one needs ten bullets to kill a deer

Full story: Wizbang 218
So sayeth New York Governor Andrew "Son of Mario" Cuomo in his State of the State speech today as he railed against the semi-automatic rifles with a detachable magazine politicians refer to as assault weapons and high-capacity magazines used in said assault weapons and many modern handguns. Full Story
History Guy

AOL

#25 Jan 13, 2013
On April 18, 1775 700 Redcoats under the direction of Major John Pitcairn were to march from Boston to sieze a stockpile of guns and ammo that the Sons of Liberty had been keeping in Concord MA just in case a showdown with the British actually took place.
In the town of Lexington, 70 militia men stood up against the 700 and were told by Pitcairn to "lay down your arms and disperse." They didn't and a skirmish broke out that would become the first shots of the American Revolution.
When the Bill of Rights were added to the Constitution, it was incidents like these that brought about many of the first ten amendments.
The 2nd was written in response to this, the 3rd in response to homes being taken for quatering by British soldiers w/o compensation. The 4th was due to writs of assistance allowing homes searches w/o warrants. They didn't write the amendments in a vacuum. All of them were in response to what they experienced as British subjects, whose rights were being taken away.
Thomas Jefferson

Chatsworth, CA

#26 Jan 14, 2013
Hey now wrote:
.... if it saves just one child's life.
Banning automobiles will save thousands of children's lives.
Obskeptic

Troy, MI

#29 Jan 14, 2013
shameless-li wrote:
no one need ten bullets to kill a deer is a true statement, only someone who needs to prove his manhood would shoot bambi 10 times....
no one here in society, needs to have better weapons than are supplied to our troops and our own law enforcement. that would only be common sense....
no need to do away with guns, but just separate the certain guns that are used for protection, and others that just kill.
All guns kill you fool, and the framers of the constitution did not have hunting in mind when they placed gun rights for the people as number 2 on the bill of rights. It's intent is to keep the government from thinking they can become a tyrannical force in our lives. I can assure you that history proves an unarmed citizenry ends up at the mercy of their political leaders. Maybe you should take the time to study it from the day you were born, back to the 1600's. You may learn just how unique a concept freedom and liberty really is, and why it should be protected at all costs.
What about a Bear

Lindenhurst, NY

#30 Jan 14, 2013
How many bullets cam i have to kill a grizzly bear? Or should I just use my Bowie knife?
taxed enough already

Riverhead, NY

#31 Jan 14, 2013
What about a Bear wrote:
How many bullets cam i have to kill a grizzly bear? Or should I just use my Bowie knife?
We have come to know you well, Lindie.

I'm sure that we would ALL advise you to get up close and use a butter knife.

“Get you a drink?”

Since: Aug 08

Amityville

#32 Jan 14, 2013
That's too childish a remark to even respond to.
Thomas Jefferson wrote:
<quoted text>
Banning automobiles will save thousands of children's lives.
shameless-li

Denver, CO

#33 Jan 14, 2013
The Stinker wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey, genius, most firearm murders are committed by people using handguns, not rifles that look "scary".
hey genius, why don't you read previous posts that were being answered.
my answer was in response to someone else answer...not your interpretation.
shameless-li

Denver, CO

#34 Jan 14, 2013
History Guy wrote:
On April 18, 1775 700 Redcoats under the direction of Major John Pitcairn were to march from Boston to sieze a stockpile of guns and ammo that the Sons of Liberty had been keeping in Concord MA just in case a showdown with the British actually took place.
In the town of Lexington, 70 militia men stood up against the 700 and were told by Pitcairn to "lay down your arms and disperse." They didn't and a skirmish broke out that would become the first shots of the American Revolution.
When the Bill of Rights were added to the Constitution, it was incidents like these that brought about many of the first ten amendments.
The 2nd was written in response to this, the 3rd in response to homes being taken for quatering by British soldiers w/o compensation. The 4th was due to writs of assistance allowing homes searches w/o warrants. They didn't write the amendments in a vacuum. All of them were in response to what they experienced as British subjects, whose rights were being taken away.
your response will go over most people head here....they think the second amendment says it's OK to buy a gun and shoot anybody.

"Amendment II
A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."
shameless-li

Denver, CO

#35 Jan 14, 2013
shameless is clueless wrote:
<quoted text>
Geeeeee. So it doesn't.
And it doesn't say you have to live in a "gun free zone".
But it does say that you can own a gun so that people can't murder YOU!
does it, where??? this was for people to protect themselves from the military trying to take over. not about anybody buying a gun just for any reason...

Amendment II
"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."

shameless is clueless, really ed, you should have stayed dead instead of re-incarnating yourself....
shameless-li

Fairfield, CT

#36 Jan 14, 2013
Obskeptic wrote:
<quoted text>
All guns kill you fool, and the framers of the constitution did not have hunting in mind when they placed gun rights for the people as number 2 on the bill of rights. It's intent is to keep the government from thinking they can become a tyrannical force in our lives. I can assure you that history proves an unarmed citizenry ends up at the mercy of their political leaders. Maybe you should take the time to study it from the day you were born, back to the 1600's. You may learn just how unique a concept freedom and liberty really is, and why it should be protected at all costs.
read post 25
a well regulated militia

Riverhead, NY

#37 Jan 14, 2013
shameless-li wrote:
<quoted text>
does it, where??? this was for people to protect themselves from the military trying to take over. not about anybody buying a gun just for any reason...
Amendment II
"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."
shameless is clueless, really ed, you should have stayed dead instead of re-incarnating yourself....
You should read up on the definition of "militia". At the time that was written it was understood to be the able-bodied adult members of the community who were to be available (by levy, if necessary), not just for military operations, but for civil emergencies and defense "against the common enemy", meaning criminals of various sorts. In moist states, that is still the definition.

Tyrants were also to be defended against.

You are probably a member of a state militia without even realizing it.
Baby Face Nelson

Harrodsburg, KY

#38 Jan 14, 2013
I make a living with guns. Ain't nobody, even J.Edgar Hoover and his G-men going to take my tommy gun. I know the G-men killed Ma Barker and her gang, John Dillinger, Pretty Boy Floyd and Machine Gun Kelly is in the pen, but they ain't going to get me. I ain't going to end up like Bonnie and Clyde.

All this stuff about constitutional rights I reads about is right. No government got a right to take my tommy gun away. And they ain't going to make us registar our guns. If they do that people will be careful with their guns and I can't buy or steal the guns that I need.

And remember this. I got a house too. I need my tommy gun, the sawed off shotgun, and my 6 pistols to protect myself.
shameless-li

Fairfield, CT

#39 Jan 14, 2013
a well regulated militia wrote:
<quoted text>
You should read up on the definition of "militia". At the time that was written it was understood to be the able-bodied adult members of the community who were to be available (by levy, if necessary), not just for military operations, but for civil emergencies and defense "against the common enemy", meaning criminals of various sorts. In moist states, that is still the definition.
just like the neighborhood watch.
george zimmerman shot trevon martin with his gun, was that right?
no.
it's not a black or white issue.
zimmerman was known to have problems previously.
if he didn't have a gun that night and just followed and watched martin. if he thought he was up to something, he should have called the police to "report" it, NOT act on it, one person would't be in jail right now and another wouldn't be dead.

the football player who shot his baby's momma 9x when he was drunk, might not have done that either if he didn't have a gun.

everyone has a right to "protect" themselves.(yes, i said)
if people want to have a gun for protection, that's up to them, it's fine with me. i'm more concerned about the type of guns (auto's/semi's, etc) they want.
military grade weapons should not be allowed in any private home or use for any private citizen.
shameless-li

Fairfield, CT

#40 Jan 14, 2013
Baby Face Nelson wrote:
I make a living with guns. Ain't nobody, even J.Edgar Hoover and his G-men going to take my tommy gun. I know the G-men killed Ma Barker and her gang, John Dillinger, Pretty Boy Floyd and Machine Gun Kelly is in the pen, but they ain't going to get me. I ain't going to end up like Bonnie and Clyde.
All this stuff about constitutional rights I reads about is right. No government got a right to take my tommy gun away. And they ain't going to make us registar our guns. If they do that people will be careful with their guns and I can't buy or steal the guns that I need.
And remember this. I got a house too. I need my tommy gun, the sawed off shotgun, and my 6 pistols to protect myself.
not even close to being funny.
you should go to honey boo boo's house, maybe her or her mother can give you tips on how to be funny...
nyah nyah nyah

Riverhead, NY

#41 Jan 14, 2013
shameless-li wrote:
<quoted text>
no.
if he didn't have a gun that night and just followed and watched martin. if he thought he was up to something, he should have called the police to "report" it, NOT act on it, one person would't be in jail right now and another wouldn't be dead.
the football player who shot his baby's momma 9x when he was drunk, might not have done that either if he didn't have a gun.
if people want to have a gun for protection, that's up to them, it's fine with me. i'm more concerned about the type of guns (auto's/semi's, etc) they want.
military grade weapons should not be allowed in any private home or use for any private citizen.
Oh, pleeeeze! You're going to use Zimmerman to abolish a portion of the Bill of Rights?

Why don't you go through the amendment process contained in the Constitution? Or do you prefer ranting and stamping your feet?

(By the way, the Second Amendment WAS about military grade weapons.)
shameless-li

Fairfield, CT

#42 Jan 14, 2013
nyah nyah nyah wrote:
<quoted text>
(By the way, the Second Amendment WAS about military grade weapons.)
they didn't have the weapons back then as they do today.
the military back then also rode horses. they didn't have cars, bombers, destroyers, etc ....
Obskeptic

Southfield, MI

#43 Jan 14, 2013
shameless-li wrote:
<quoted text>
no.
How could you possibly know Zimmerman had previous "problems" when you obviously don't know the facts of the case. Zimmerman did call the police, and they asked him if Trevon was black, he did not volunteer it. They told him to stop following Trevon, which he did, and Trevon then followed and confronted him. There were previous break-ins in the community, and Zimmerman had every right to patrol his neighborhood, and ask Trevon what the hell he was doing at that time in the morning in the rain. Trevon did not have the right to sucker punch Zimmerman in the face and take him to the ground and beat his head on the pavement. Trevon detected the gun on Zimmerman during the scuffle, and informed him that he was going to die tonight, at the hands of his own weapon. Thats not how it played out though. Zimmerman got control of the weapon first, and one slug in the chest at point blank range ended the exchange. ALL guns can kill. Not just auto's (which have been outlawed since the thirties) and semi's, but revolvers, bolt actions, and break barrels. So can hammers, baseball bats, knives, rocks, and explosives. The facts are extremely clear that the more easily a citizen can arm him or herself, and the more law abiding citizens that carry, the safer a community is. Banning any weapons has never been effective. Just ask the people of Newtown how their assault rifle ban worked for them. My guess is some of those parents wished the principle or some other "good guy" had access to firepower that would have changed the narrative.
shameless-li

Denver, CO

#44 Jan 14, 2013
Obskeptic wrote:
<quoted text>
How could you possibly know Zimmerman had previous "problems" when you obviously don't know the facts of the case. Zimmerman did call the police, and they asked him if Trevon was black, he did not volunteer it. They told him to stop following Trevon, which he did, and Trevon then followed and confronted him. There were previous break-ins in the community, and Zimmerman had every right to patrol his neighborhood, and ask Trevon what the hell he was doing at that time in the morning in the rain.
http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2013-01-0...

read the end of the story at 2:23, it pretty much says it all...
you should read the entire police report, before speaking of things you know nothing about.
choices choices

Riverhead, NY

#45 Jan 14, 2013
shameless-li wrote:
<quoted text>
they didn't have the weapons back then as they do today.
the military back then also rode horses. they didn't have cars, bombers, destroyers, etc ....
They didn't have an income tax either. Want to get rid of that?
shameless-li

Fairfield, CT

#46 Jan 14, 2013
choices choices wrote:
<quoted text>
They didn't have an income tax either. Want to get rid of that?
sure would, i'll agree with you on that one...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jackson-Heights Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Yankee talk back 4, or is it 5 (Aug '08) 8 min NYStateOfMind 311,555
Protesters to NYPD: We want dead cops 17 min The Phanton Hell ... 13
Eric Garner Murdered by Cop 56 min Ronald 303
Emo Guys - Single (13-17) (Feb '14) 1 hr unstablekitten 32
Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 2 hr Pearl Jam 306,963
jets talk back (Dec '07) 2 hr jimi-yank 9,959
OBAMA is the BEST PRESIDENT EVER (Nov '10) 2 hr ElCubanoLibre 16,640

Jackson-Heights News Video

Jackson-Heights Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Jackson-Heights People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Jackson-Heights News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Jackson-Heights

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 4:00 am PST

Bleacher Report 4:00AM
Patriots' Week 16 Preview vs. Jets
NBC Sports 5:14 AM
Friday morning one-liners
Bleacher Report 9:30 AM
Boomer: Should Jets Clean House This Offseason?
NBC Sports 9:41 AM
Rashad Jennings not spotted practicing Friday
NBC Sports11:10 AM
Where does Rex Ryan land after this season?