Ed Koch was a corrupt mayor?

Ed Koch was a corrupt mayor?

Posted in the Jackson-Heights Forum

drinkindunkin

Arverne, NY

#1 Feb 1, 2013
I found this on wikipedia (I know wikipedia is garbage but when I search for anything it always pops up):

In his third term, Koch's popularity was shaken after a series of corruption scandals, touched off by the Donald Manes suicide and the PVB scandal, which revealed that he had acceded to the requests of corrupt political allies, most notably Queens Borough President Manes, Bronx Democratic party official Stanley Friedman, and Brooklyn Democratic boss Meade Esposito, to stack city agencies with patronage appointments. These patronage appointments, such as Department of Transportation Commissioner Tony Ameruso and Parking Violations Bureau official Geoffrey Lindenauer, had subsequently engaged in many varieties of graft, extortion and bribery. Another high-profile Koch official and ally, Cultural Affairs commissioner Bess Myerson, was accused and eventually indicted for improperly conspiring with a judge in order to fix a divorce case in favor of Myerson's mob-linked lover. Though there were no allegations that Koch obtained any financial benefit from the corruption, the wave of scandals undermined Koch's prior claims that he would run a patronage-free city government.[14]
truthwilloutlive

Arverne, NY

#4 Feb 1, 2013
Why are people saying he was a symbol of NY? He looked pretty shady to me.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jackson-Heights Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Madam President 6 min Donelda Trump - T... 435
Mets talkback (Dec '07) 7 min the don 42,230
President Trump's first 100 days - Roadmap to D... 10 min Nonlib Bronx Cheer 1,155
Whine and Cheese: Where are the crackers (Dec '09) 37 min LONESOME CANADIAN... 1,358
Giants talk back (Dec '06) 51 min the don 6,252
News Cutting of pastor's role called 'vindictive' (Oct '08) 2 hr Fire and Brimstone 8,545
DEMOCRATS FOREVER ! - These Songs For You ! 2 hr STAY the COURSE 6

Jackson-Heights Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Jackson-Heights Mortgages