Nassau/Suffolk High School Football
Suff III

Sayville, NY

#5735 Apr 20, 2013
What ever happened to all the Bellport Bragger??? remember this post from 2007:

You cannot compare Bellport And sayville, Bellport is a much better team, and yes Gowins will start over John Deluca anyday, Delucas playing D3 football, Most of the kids on bellport are all going 1aa or 2. Bellports just a better team, much better than sayville will ever be

What happened to the big rivalry???? Now all I hear is talk about the teams and players of the past!!! Could this past dominant program be washed up ???

Look at the scores from the past 2 years>>>> Sayville vs pop warner bellport
biggest tool

Matawan, NJ

#5736 Apr 20, 2013
Suff III wrote:
What ever happened to all the Bellport Bragger??? remember this post from 2007:
You cannot compare Bellport And sayville, Bellport is a much better team, and yes Gowins will start over John Deluca anyday, Delucas playing D3 football, Most of the kids on bellport are all going 1aa or 2. Bellports just a better team, much better than sayville will ever be
What happened to the big rivalry???? Now all I hear is talk about the teams and players of the past!!! Could this past dominant program be washed up ???
Look at the scores from the past 2 years>>>> Sayville vs pop warner bellport
the only thing bellport has over Sayville is more players who know and understand the lyrics to JZ's raps.
Lawrence

Brooklyn, NY

#5737 Apr 26, 2013
Best Teams wrote:
<quoted text>
Westhampton. How good were the crowds back in the 60's and 70's when you had games that included:
Riverhead, Greenport, Southampton, Westhampton, East Hampton and even Port Jefferson?
I remember there being huge crowds for games out there.
I know that Hampton Bays did not become a high school until the mid-70's and Shoreham, Miller Place, and Rocky Point did not exist either. In fact, only Miller Place and Hampton Bays had football in the 70's and much of the 80's. Mt Sinai came into being even later.
all the football in the 60's and 70's drew big crowds not the same today but suffolk supports much more than nassau for sure
bigtool

Medford, NY

#5738 Apr 27, 2013
Lawrence wrote:
<quoted text>
all the football in the 60's and 70's drew big crowds not the same today but suffolk supports much more than nassau for sure
thats because going to a game is crap shoot meaning there is a 40% chance you will get shot.that tends to keep crowds down.
Pat-Med 88

AOL

#5739 Apr 28, 2013
Lawrence wrote:
<quoted text>
Wonder how many posters on this forum remember the Thanksgiving Turkey Bowl (Patchogue HS vs Port Jefferson HS) 6,000 plus every year during the '60's. Patchogue HS was at Saxton MS at that time when they had lights and seating for 5,000 before they dismantled the seats and the lights.
WI Fan

West Islip, NY

#5740 Apr 28, 2013
Why does long island put almost zero emphasis on HS sports? Most other states have sports that actually draw some attendance.

Real answers... Not just tool!!!!!
An Old Sailor

AOL

#5741 Apr 28, 2013
WI Fan wrote:
Why does long island put almost zero emphasis on HS sports? Most other states have sports that actually draw some attendance.
Downstate New York is centered on professional sports. There is no real interest in college or High School sports on Long Island or NYC. With the exception of St. John's basketball team in the 80s there is no real interest in non-professional sports.
When I go watch a High School sport, I'm often asked if my son or daughter is playing. When I tell them that I'm just here to watch a game, they can't believe that I would be interested in watching a game without my own children in it.
bigtool

Medford, NY

#5742 Apr 29, 2013
An Old Sailor wrote:
<quoted text>
Downstate New York is centered on professional sports. There is no real interest in college or High School sports on Long Island or NYC. With the exception of St. John's basketball team in the 80s there is no real interest in non-professional sports.
When I go watch a High School sport, I'm often asked if my son or daughter is playing. When I tell them that I'm just here to watch a game, they can't believe that I would be interested in watching a game without my own children in it.
not really they are worried that you might be stalking their kids.it happens to me all the time-why can't we just watch games and not be watched ourselves.hint walk around like you are gay then they will love you.
Corners and Knees

River Edge, NJ

#5743 Apr 29, 2013
WI Fan wrote:
In Pennsylvania and New Jersey, the crowds in football and basketball are not what they once were. I guess there are just more choices for people today other than going to the local high school game.

Thanksgiving games were once a big draw but both Pa and NJ are trying to get rid of all of them.

West Islip plays solid high school football. I do not remember them every playing on Thanksgiving. I used to go to the following Turkey Day games on Long Island. Port Jefferson/Patchogue, EI/CI and Smithtown/Hauppauge.

If there was an 8 game schedule for WI, regardless of school size, who would you think would be on that schedule to draw the biggest crowds? Would it look like this?

- East Islip
- Bay Shore
- North Babylon
-Who would the other 5 games be on the schedule?
bigtool

Medford, NY

#5744 Apr 29, 2013
Corners and Knees wrote:
<quoted text>
In Pennsylvania and New Jersey, the crowds in football and basketball are not what they once were. I guess there are just more choices for people today other than going to the local high school game.
Thanksgiving games were once a big draw but both Pa and NJ are trying to get rid of all of them.
West Islip plays solid high school football. I do not remember them every playing on Thanksgiving. I used to go to the following Turkey Day games on Long Island. Port Jefferson/Patchogue, EI/CI and Smithtown/Hauppauge.
If there was an 8 game schedule for WI, regardless of school size, who would you think would be on that schedule to draw the biggest crowds? Would it look like this?
- East Islip
- Bay Shore
- North Babylon
"the danch" thats a must even though thanksgiving isn't a big thing in the black community a turkey, when cooked,looks like a chicken so its ok.
SCFB

Medford, NY

#5747 Apr 30, 2013
Any word on the recruiting from for LI players? Is Capobianco looking to play football or baseball in college?
bigtool

Medford, NY

#5748 Apr 30, 2013
SCFB wrote:
Any word on the recruiting from for LI players? Is Capobianco looking to play football or baseball in college?
neither he is going to enter his father's waste management company.
WI Fan

Massapequa, NY

#5749 May 1, 2013
Corners and Knees wrote:
<quoted text>
- East Islip
- Bay Shore
- North Babylon
Basically Neighboring Districts
East Islip
Bay Shore
North Babylon
West Babylon

Further away but still good match-ups
Riverhead
Newfield
Smithtown E and W

You hear about huge crowds for Jersey, Pennsylvania, Ohio and then the big boys, Florida, Texas, Cali

Just wish it was different. Maybe because we dont have those "big time" ESPN 150 players anywhere on the island.

Would be nice having crowds like Bergen v St Anthony, at a couple fields every week!!!!!
biggest tool

Medford, NY

#5750 May 1, 2013
WI Fan wrote:
<quoted text>
Basically Neighboring Districts
East Islip
Bay Shore
North Babylon
West Babylon
Further away but still good match-ups
Riverhead
Newfield
Smithtown E and W
You hear about huge crowds for Jersey, Pennsylvania, Ohio and then the big boys, Florida, Texas, Cali
Just wish it was different. Maybe because we dont have those "big time" ESPN 150 players anywhere on the island.
Would be nice having crowds like Bergen v St Anthony, at a couple fields every week!!!!!
yea it would but until long island stops playing j.v. caliber football it won't happen.
floyd27

Summit, NJ

#5751 May 5, 2013
Anybody attend the sachem combine...... oh sorry blue chip combine today
bigtool

Medford, NY

#5752 May 6, 2013
floyd27 wrote:
Anybody attend the sachem combine...... oh sorry blue chip combine today
why there are no blue chips.
bigtool

Medford, NY

#5753 May 6, 2013
is it true that that black running back from lawrence is going to stony brook.wow what a waste of aid he can't play at that level.he belongs at a d3 school at best.stony brook has a good thing going just stay away from the hyped up long island guys.let them prove themselves at nassau cc and then maybe.
Suff III

Sayville, NY

#5754 May 7, 2013
Very sad to hear the Bellport Football program is in the news again.
bigtool

East Hampton, NY

#5755 May 7, 2013
Suff III wrote:
Very sad to hear the Bellport Football program is in the news again.
hey the coaches they hire are dirtbags.how can anybody think that bellport will survive this.its a community that has given blacks a free ride well this is what you get.
LIfan

Lindenhurst, NY

#5756 May 7, 2013
Corners and Knees wrote:
<quoted text>
- East Islip
- Bay Shore
- North Babylon
In a typical year, Sayville, Babylon, West Bab, Bellport, Floyd. WI still seems to get good crowds for football - remember, in other areas they are much more spread out and playing on Friday nights. Nothing like a night game to bring people out...not easy giving up a Saturday afternoon with all the activities people have to get their kids to (along with mowing the lawn!). LI moving out of an internal schedule would bring it a long way very quickly.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jackson-Heights Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 9 min Earthling-1 59,516
Add a word, Drop a word (Dec '09) 18 min Princess Hey 15,084
Drop a Word, Add a Word (Jan '10) 19 min Princess Hey 14,247
Yankee talk back 4, or is it 5 (Aug '08) 20 min JiffyLubeTodd 328,570
Rangers talk back (Oct '07) 22 min JiffyLubeTodd 7,695
Poll 2016 Topix biggest loser poll. Will rangers/tma... 24 min JiffyLubeTodd 35
Mets talkback (Dec '07) 26 min JiffyLubeTodd 39,465
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Jackson-Heights Mortgages