Nassau/Suffolk High School Football
Callaway 57

Indio, CA

#5025 Dec 4, 2012
Freeport in the house wrote:
<quoted text>
Glad to see Suffolk give it to the only unbeaten school, they where division 4 & 12-0. Suffolk got it right & they found a way to do it right after the season, Jan 13 for Nassau awards a joke! Hope Nassau gets it right also being that Lawrence is the only school that should win the Cup. Lawrence beat a real good team that carried a 23 game winning streak that was 11-0 at the time, GC would be the other team but beat a Riverhead team that ended up with 3 losses & GC HAD A loss this year in a what many people thought was a very down year in Con 2.
Just curious how do you determine which Conference/Division is stronger or weaker? The Conference/Divisions only play internal schedules, I mean who's to Garden City wouldn't have beaten Sayville? There's no way of telling.
Freeport in the house

Brooklyn, NY

#5026 Dec 4, 2012
Callaway 57 wrote:
<quoted text>
Just curious how do you determine which Conference/Division is stronger or weaker? The Conference/Divisions only play internal schedules, I mean who's to Garden City wouldn't have beaten Sayville? There's no way of telling.
just going by what some coaches thought, plainedge did very well in scrimages against wantagh--i know it's only a scrimmage, glen cove faired well also against con 2. Don't think GC would have defended Lawrence to well, in space with all there athlete's. GC A nice team but thought Lawrence was stronger of the 2, just my opinion GC WAS very clutch in there 2 Nassau playoff wins against Carey/Wantagh.
Callaway 57

Indio, CA

#5027 Dec 4, 2012
<quoted text>
just going by what some coaches thought, plainedge did very well in scrimages against wantagh--i know it's only a scrimmage, glen cove faired well also against con 2. Don't think GC would have defended Lawrence to well, in space with all there athlete's. GC A nice team but thought Lawrence was stronger of the 2, just my opinion GC WAS very clutch in there 2 Nassau playoff wins against Carey/Wantagh.
Garden City had the best dual threat QB in Nassau County in Brett Stewart. Passing he was 128/220 1,659 yards 23 td's, plus he carried the ball 160 times for 1,012 yards and 9 td's. He produced 2,671 yards with 32 td's. Very strong receiving tandum of Ed Blatz (44 receptions 643 yards and 10 td's), and Justin Guterding (41 receptions 557 yards, 10 tds). If you watched Stewart in the Riverhead game he was doing an excellent job on his option reads, and if you think Riverhead is a slow team, that would be absured. I can tell you right now Cheatom, Funn, Greenridge and Pittman as quick. Garden City did a great job of shutting down Riverhead in the second half and outscoring them 22-0. Riverhead had 240 total offensive yards in the first half and 15 first downs. Cheatom had 198 yards on 23 carries 1 td and held him to 26 yards in the second half. Cheatom came into the game with 235 carries 1,714 yards and 18 td's. Garden City also did an excellent job shutting down QB Ryan Bitzer who was 9/19 104 yards 1 td and 6 carries for 59 yards. Ryan prior to the game was 116/188 1,879 yards 18 td's and carried the ball 39 times for 227 yards 9 td's.

The biggest surprise was the way GC contained the fastest player on Riverhead WR Quinn Funn who did nothing, again prior to the GC game he had 53 receptions for 1,007 yards 1 td.

So if Garden does happen to win the Rutgers Cup, and I not saying they will, but they make a good case for it.
Freeport in the house

Brooklyn, NY

#5028 Dec 4, 2012
Callaway 57 wrote:
<quoted text>
Garden City had the best dual threat QB in Nassau County in Brett Stewart. Passing he was 128/220 1,659 yards 23 td's, plus he carried the ball 160 times for 1,012 yards and 9 td's. He produced 2,671 yards with 32 td's. Very strong receiving tandum of Ed Blatz (44 receptions 643 yards and 10 td's), and Justin Guterding (41 receptions 557 yards, 10 tds). If you watched Stewart in the Riverhead game he was doing an excellent job on his option reads, and if you think Riverhead is a slow team, that would be absured. I can tell you right now Cheatom, Funn, Greenridge and Pittman as quick. Garden City did a great job of shutting down Riverhead in the second half and outscoring them 22-0. Riverhead had 240 total offensive yards in the first half and 15 first downs. Cheatom had 198 yards on 23 carries 1 td and held him to 26 yards in the second half. Cheatom came into the game with 235 carries 1,714 yards and 18 td's. Garden City also did an excellent job shutting down QB Ryan Bitzer who was 9/19 104 yards 1 td and 6 carries for 59 yards. Ryan prior to the game was 116/188 1,879 yards 18 td's and carried the ball 39 times for 227 yards 9 td's.
The biggest surprise was the way GC contained the fastest player on Riverhead WR Quinn Funn who did nothing, again prior to the GC game he had 53 receptions for 1,007 yards 1 td.
So if Garden does happen to win the Rutgers Cup, and I not saying they will, but they make a good case for it.
All kidding aside GCITY is a nice team i agree i said so before. But honestly what else would a team have to do to win the cup that Lawrence did not do? 1- beat a team that was 11-0 with 23 game winning streak, 2- went 12-0 and the only unbeaten team in Nassau, 3- broke the LI team scoring record with 581 pts, 4- Had records by there QB 37 TD passes thrown, 5- The Robinson kid breaks TD receptions on LI, I mean really if they don't get it they should never give it to another school ever again. I am a Freeport graduate both schools GC/Lawrence have a great tradition just like my school does but really what is right is right.
Callaway 57

Indio, CA

#5029 Dec 4, 2012
<quoted text>
All kidding aside GCITY is a nice team i agree i said so before. But honestly what else would a team have to do to win the cup that Lawrence did not do? 1- beat a team that was 11-0 with 23 game winning streak, 2- went 12-0 and the only unbeaten team in Nassau, 3- broke the LI team scoring record with 581 pts, 4- Had records by there QB 37 TD passes thrown, 5- The Robinson kid breaks TD receptions on LI, I mean really if they don't get it they should never give it to another school ever again. I am a Freeport graduate both schools GC/Lawrence have a great tradition just like my school does but really what is right is right.
You could 100% correct, but I also have spoken to observers of Nassau Conference III, and they said it was extremely weak this year. Conference III only had four teams that were over .500, yet in Conference II they had five teams over .500. I would believe that they would give it to Lawrence, but you never know how people vote, to me it borders on popularity. Freeport will be back next season, looking forward to seeing them back in the playoffs. Heard they have an excellent TB coming up.
Freeport in the house

Brooklyn, NY

#5030 Dec 4, 2012
totenville vs erasmus today at 5
Freeport in the house

Brooklyn, NY

#5031 Dec 4, 2012
Callaway 57 wrote:
<quoted text>
You could 100% correct, but I also have spoken to observers of Nassau Conference III, and they said it was extremely weak this year. Conference III only had four teams that were over .500, yet in Conference II they had five teams over .500. I would believe that they would give it to Lawrence, but you never know how people vote, to me it borders on popularity. Freeport will be back next season, looking forward to seeing them back in the playoffs. Heard they have an excellent TB coming up.
Thanks Calloway yes & yes, yes popularity contest & yes Freeport should be back in the playoffs next year. thanks.

“Another 240 million”

Since: May 09

Up in smoke

#5032 Dec 4, 2012
Garden City will win the cup....it will be the end of an era for Floral Parks own Tom Flatley, the best HS football coach in LI history...bar none

“Another 240 million”

Up in smoke

#5033 Dec 4, 2012
Mike Quick wrote:
Casali won three other awards:
Collatta Award
Joe Cipp Award
MSG Varsity Rob Burnett Award
I don't believe that has ever happened befor, an unprecedented four major awards.
They have an award named after Joe Cipp ? Is being a dirtbag part of the qualities for winning the award ?

“Another 240 million”

Up in smoke

#5034 Dec 4, 2012
bigtool wrote:
<quoted text>garden city should get it because their kids played well achieved in school have no rap sheets and will do great in life and help society instead of being a drain on society.
You are so right Bigtool....keep up the great posting !!!

“Stay cool!!!!!”

Since: May 08

New York, NY

#5035 Dec 4, 2012
momma chamberlin wrote:
<quoted text>They have an award named after Joe Cipp ? Is being a dirtbag part of the qualities for winning the award ?

do these good posters know your a criminal? are you off probation and allowed in a forum where kids might be?
FanBase

United States

#5037 Dec 4, 2012
Callaway 57 wrote:
<quoted text>
Not a big Lawrence fan but right is right. All of that talk about a weak Conf means nothing. They still beat a very tough Sayville. If the Rutgers goes to anyone else it will be a shame.
SCFB

Medford, NY

#5038 Dec 4, 2012
Mike Quick wrote:
Casali won three other awards:
Collatta Award
Joe Cipp Award
MSG Varsity Rob Burnett Award
I don't believe that has ever happened befor, an unprecedented four major awards.
Kind of hard for this to have ever happened before since the "Burnett" Defensive MVP was just initiated last year. Brock Jackolski (WM-Floyd) won three awards his SR season...Casesse (DB), Cipp (RB) & Hanson. Casalli is a very good one, but I don't think he's quite the same caliber as Brock.
MR Lawrence

New York, NY

#5039 Dec 4, 2012
FanBase wrote:
<quoted text>Not a big Lawrence fan but right is right. All of that talk about a weak Conf means nothing. They still beat a very tough Sayville. If the Rutgers goes to anyone else it will be a shame.
Why arent you a big Lawrence fan? I am.
bam

Mooresville, NC

#5040 Dec 4, 2012
bam!
Mike Quick

AOL

#5041 Dec 4, 2012
SCFB wrote:
<quoted text>
Kind of hard for this to have ever happened before since the "Burnett" Defensive MVP was just initiated last year. Brock Jackolski (WM-Floyd) won three awards his SR season...Casesse (DB), Cipp (RB) & Hanson. Casalli is a very good one, but I don't think he's quite the same caliber as Brock.
Why isn't he in the same caliber as Jackolski? Casali was a two way player, Brock wasn't. Floyd was 33-0 all three years that Brock played. Sachem East was 15-14 for the three years that Casali played. In 2010, Casali's sophomore year, he missed three quarters of the year with a broken hand.

Here's there three year career stats:

Brock Jackolski(5'10 190 lbs)- Rushing - 3,603 yards 64 td's
Defensively - 76 tackles

Steven Casali(6'2" 224 lbs)- Rushing - 3,944 yards 41 td's
Defensively - 216 tackles

They both excellent players.
Callaway 57

Indio, CA

#5042 Dec 4, 2012
FanBase wrote:
<quoted text>Not a big Lawrence fan but right is right. All of that talk about a weak Conf means nothing. They still beat a very tough Sayville. If the Rutgers goes to anyone else it will be a shame.
No one was saying that Lawrence wasn't going to win the Rutgers. A posted had suggested that Conference II was weak. My response was that it was impossible to tell which Conferences/Divisions are strong and which are weak.

Lawrence was pre-seeded #1 in the beginning of the year. Not sure what Garden City was seeded, but I know it wasn't #1. Garden City lost 20 of the 22 starters from last season. Everyone expected Lawrence to run the table, no one expected Garden City to even come close playing in the Class II LIC. Not only did they make it they beat an excellent Riverhead team. I think who ever votes will be looking at a team that came from nowhere as compared to a team that was expected to win. My feeling is it's a popularity contest, whoever is liked more as a coach will win.
da fan

Morristown, NJ

#5043 Dec 5, 2012
Mike Quick wrote:
<quoted text>
Why isn't he in the same caliber as Jackolski? Casali was a two way player, Brock wasn't. Floyd was 33-0 all three years that Brock played. Sachem East was 15-14 for the three years that Casali played. In 2010, Casali's sophomore year, he missed three quarters of the year with a broken hand.
Here's there three year career stats:
Brock Jackolski(5'10 190 lbs)- Rushing - 3,603 yards 64 td's
Defensively - 76 tackles
Steven Casali(6'2" 224 lbs)- Rushing - 3,944 yards 41 td's
Defensively - 216 tackles
They both excellent players.
Casali was definitely a similar caliber player. A little info on brock. Brock was a two way player. He was a second team all long island defensive back as a sophomore. Also you have to remember those stata you posted were mostly with brock playing 2 to 3 quarters max a game for 3 years. Brock was 33-0 as a player and most games he played in were blow outs.
FanBase

United States

#5044 Dec 5, 2012
Callaway 57 wrote:
<quoted text>
No one was saying that Lawrence wasn't going to win the Rutgers. A posted had suggested that Conference II was weak. My response was that it was impossible to tell which Conferences/Divisions are strong and which are weak.
Lawrence was pre-seeded #1 in the beginning of the year. Not sure what Garden City was seeded, but I know it wasn't #1. Garden City lost 20 of the 22 starters from last season. Everyone expected Lawrence to run the table, no one expected Garden City to even come close playing in the Class II LIC. Not only did they make it they beat an excellent Riverhead team. I think who ever votes will be looking at a team that came from nowhere as compared to a team that was expected to win. My feeling is it's a popularity contest, whoever is liked more as a coach will win.
I think GC did much better than expected. Their a well coached team.I agree Its usually a popularity contest but in this case Lawrence was clearly the best team in nassau beating a team that has not been beaten in 23 games. It would be a sin for them not to get it.
Freeport in the house

Brooklyn, NY

#5045 Dec 5, 2012
FanBase wrote:
<quoted text>I think GC did much better than expected. Their a well coached team.I agree Its usually a popularity contest but in this case Lawrence was clearly the best team in nassau beating a team that has not been beaten in 23 games. It would be a sin for them not to get it.
you are correct

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jackson-Heights Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Yankee talk back 4, or is it 5 (Aug '08) 5 min FuMan Chu Yanks 332,034
News Feds make busts in $75 million oil scheme (Jul '07) 55 min Ams 966
Add a word, Drop a word (Dec '09) 1 hr rainmaker2016 16,050
Time to go? (Jun '15) 1 hr Read more 12,543
Giants talk back (Dec '06) 1 hr jimi-yank 5,087
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 2 hr Brian_G 61,049
HILLARY will be THE BEST PRESIDENT EVER (Dec '14) 3 hr NEMO RINO Republican 11,933

Jackson-Heights Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Jackson-Heights Mortgages