Yankee talk back 4, or is it 5
NYStateOfMind

New York, NY

#303378 Jan 15, 2014
FuMan Chu Yanks wrote:
<quoted text>
Cal had more power then the HOF Jeter but rate him ahead of Ripken. 5 time WS Champion counts a lot to me.
Jeter was in the right place with the right team @ the right time. Put Ripken @ SS on those 1996-2000 NYY teams. See little difference...
Da GreatDirtyWater

Greenacre, Australia

#303379 Jan 15, 2014
FuMan Chu Yanks wrote:
<quoted text>
Speaking of World Champions, did you know Yogi Berra has been on more WS winning teams than the Sox franchise has on a historical basis?
To me this stat about Berra is incredible Don....mind boggling really....Berra struck only 12 times 1950 in 656 plate appearances.
http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/b/b...
How many has he been on in the last 10 years?

Yogi retired as a Met so he's a Mets legend.
Da GreatDirtyWater

Greenacre, Australia

#303380 Jan 15, 2014
NYStateOfMind wrote:
<quoted text>
Not sure I'd put him ahead of Ripken. Very close...
Defensive metrics all drop Jeter from the discussion.
NYStateOfMind

New York, NY

#303381 Jan 15, 2014
Da GreatDirtyWater wrote:
<quoted text>
If your talking about a player you can't put the team around him in the question.

Jeter scores high marks with his bat but doesn't blow the other guys away. Defensivly which is half the equation Jeter comes up short.

Ripken was the better SS...Jeter never approaches his range. In reality Ozzie andArod when he played SS was better than Jeter as well.
Defensively, Vizquel is better than all those you mentioned. Had more full seasons with less than 10 E. Oz may have been a product of hype due to his athleticism...
NYStateOfMind

New York, NY

#303382 Jan 15, 2014
<quoted text>
Defensive metrics all drop Jeter from the discussion.
Which defensive metrics?...
Da GreatDirtyWater

Greenacre, Australia

#303383 Jan 15, 2014
NYStateOfMind wrote:
<quoted text>
Jeter was in the right place with the right team @ the right time. Put Ripken @ SS on those 1996-2000 NYY teams. See little difference...
When you talk about players its not fair to put something out of ctheir control in the mix like which team they played on. Certainly Jeter's numbers get a boost from not having to be the pressure player that some of the other guys not surrounded by other all stars have been.

So he gets a foot up but I wouldn't add titles to the mix when discussing a players individual merit
NYStateOfMind

New York, NY

#303384 Jan 15, 2014
<quoted text>
When you talk about players its not fair to put something out of ctheir control in the mix like which team they played on. Certainly Jeter's numbers get a boost from not having to be the pressure player that some of the other guys not surrounded by other all stars have been.

So he gets a foot up but I wouldn't add titles to the mix when discussing a players individual merit
Was responding to this post about WS...

http://www.topix.com/forum/nyc/T2HJ06E7ST774T... #303375
FuMan Chu Yanks wrote:
<quoted text>
Cal had more power then the HOF Jeter but rate him ahead of Ripken. 5 time WS Champion counts a lot to me.

“Stay cool!!!!!”

Since: May 08

Santa Fe, NM

#303385 Jan 15, 2014
FuMan Chu Yanks wrote:
<quoted text>
Speaking of World Champions, did you know Yogi Berra has been on more WS winning teams than the Sox franchise has on a historical basis?
To me this stat about Berra is incredible Don....mind boggling really....Berra struck only 12 times 1950 in 656 plate appearances.
http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/b/b...

I was about to make another correct prediction on liars in here...but, can you imagine saying a guy who was a shell of himself and propped up by the mets to even bat was a met legend? hate, bitterness and spite is out of control again

2 lol, supposedly met legends...yogi had 9 at bats, 2 hits, batted 222...

willie mays, played 2 years and actually was better as some old man who could not move then Jason bay and big ike

hit in 1 yr...195 at bats...52 hits, 9 doubles, 8 homers and 19 rbis...267 avg
next and last year...209 at bats, 44 hits and 6 homers and 25 ribbies and a 211 average

I am sure sf giant fans agree, willie a met legend...

so, using that logic, randy Johnson is a yankee legend with all his stats...

manny ram is a tampa ray legend, as is damon...

of course, do the sox thank manny for all the helpful ways to avoid drug testing and did he get to use the gummies?

“Stay cool!!!!!”

Since: May 08

Santa Fe, NM

#303386 Jan 15, 2014
NYStateOfMind wrote:
<quoted text>
Defensively, Vizquel is better than all those you mentioned. Had more full seasons with less than 10 E. Oz may have been a product of hype due to his athleticism...

outstanding point on Vizquel...how long did he play and still was outstanding defense wise...could not hit in the end but man he could field.
Da GreatDirtyWater

Greenacre, Australia

#303387 Jan 15, 2014
NYStateOfMind wrote:
<quoted text>
Which defensive metrics?...
Total Zone and the Range Factors..never lead the league in those only cracked the top ten once in all those.
Da GreatDirtyWater

Greenacre, Australia

#303388 Jan 15, 2014
NYStateOfMind wrote:
<quoted text>
Was responding to this post about WS...
http://www.topix.com/forum/nyc/T2HJ06E7ST774T... #303375
<quoted text>
So was I read the post again:

<quoted text>

----------

Kinda hard to debate this with Fu the guy who once claimed Honus Wagner never played a game at SS when he was claiming Jeter was the best ever. He can't read statistics or metrics
NYStateOfMind

New York, NY

#303389 Jan 15, 2014
<quoted text>
Total Zone and the Range Factors..never lead the league in those only cracked the top ten once in all those.
And Ripken did?...
NYStateOfMind

New York, NY

#303390 Jan 15, 2014
jimi-yank wrote:
<quoted text>
outstanding point on Vizquel...how long did he play and still was outstanding defense wise...could not hit in the end but man he could field.
Might not been the hitter late in his career that he was earlier. Certainly was a better hitter than Oz...

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/v/v...

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/s/s...
Da GreatDirtyWater

Greenacre, Australia

#303391 Jan 15, 2014
jimi-yank wrote:
<quoted text>
I was about to make another correct prediction on liars in here...but, can you imagine saying a guy who was a shell of himself and propped up by the mets to even bat was a met legend? hate, bitterness and spite is out of control again
2 lol, supposedly met legends...yogi had 9 at bats, 2 hits, batted 222...
willie mays, played 2 years and actually was better as some old man who could not move then Jason bay and big ike
hit in 1 yr...195 at bats...52 hits, 9 doubles, 8 homers and 19 rbis...267 avg
next and last year...209 at bats, 44 hits and 6 homers and 25 ribbies and a 211 average
I am sure sf giant fans agree, willie a met legend...
so, using that logic, randy Johnson is a yankee legend with all his stats...
manny ram is a tampa ray legend, as is damon...
of course, do the sox thank manny for all the helpful ways to avoid drug testing and did he get to use the gummies?
Those were some great 9 ABs for the Mets...

point is Steinbrenner held Yogi's charity hostage to get back for seat filling tributes.

Yogi is a Mets legend, they didn't screw him around
Da GreatDirtyWater

Greenacre, Australia

#303392 Jan 15, 2014
NYStateOfMind wrote:
<quoted text>
And Ripken did?...
Yes only twice but he has much better Zone numbers as well as his fielding % is 11th Jeters is 29th
Billy Ball

Asheville, NC

#303393 Jan 15, 2014
momma chamberlin wrote:
<quoted text> Yeah they snapped the Isles 7 game road winning streak, Isles will be fine. Carolina was OK I couldn't bet big on either team because I think Krapernack sucks so I went all in on the under and hit nice. As bad as Seattles offense is I think they torture SF Sunday, they know that over rated POS well...just let him sit in the pocket and watch him suck
Soon very soon
Da GreatDirtyWater

Greenacre, Australia

#303394 Jan 15, 2014
NYStateOfMind wrote:
<quoted text>
Might not been the hitter late in his career that he was earlier. Certainly was a better hitter than Oz...
http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/v/v...
http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/s/s...
Visquel had a hellova glove...kinda the carbon copy opposite of Jeter as a player. Not nuff bat to put him at the top of my list as Jeter doesn't have enuff glove
NYStateOfMind

New York, NY

#303395 Jan 15, 2014
<quoted text>
So was I read the post again:

<quoted text>

----------
Kinda hard to debate this with Fu the guy who once claimed Honus Wagner never played a game at SS when he was claiming Jeter was the best ever. He can't read statistics or metrics
It's the posters POV about being part of WS championships. To me, there's little difference than you using subjective stats referencing Total Zone & Range Factors...

“Lou Gehrig, Pride of the Yanks”

Since: Aug 08

Washington, DC

#303396 Jan 15, 2014
NYStateOfMind wrote:
<quoted text>
No, we were in the right place and right time to see this great player.

“Lou Gehrig, Pride of the Yanks”

Since: Aug 08

Washington, DC

#303397 Jan 15, 2014
<quoted text>
If your talking about a player you can't put the team around him in the question.
Jeter scores high marks with his bat but doesn't blow the other guys away. Defensivly which is half the equation Jeter comes up short.
Ripken was the better SS...Jeter never approaches his range. In reality Ozzie andArod when he played SS was better than Jeter as well.
Yogi 10, Red Sox 8.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jackson-Heights Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 4 min Susanm 316,219
President Trump's first 100 days - Roadmap to D... (Nov '16) 1 hr NEMO the Brilliant 4,765
News 'Sick' Anthony Weiner Weeps While Pleading Guil... 1 hr DT made Un blink 34
Drop a Word, Add a Word (Jan '10) 2 hr SweLL GirL 17,289
Add a word, Drop a word (Dec '09) 2 hr SweLL GirL 18,514
News Cutting of pastor's role called 'vindictive' (Oct '08) 2 hr sweet benny 8,582
should we do away with the american flag 3 hr FROM TN 1

Jackson-Heights Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Jackson-Heights Mortgages