Yankee talk back 4, or is it 5
NYStateOfMind

New York, NY

#297738 Nov 24, 2013
Da GreatDirtyWater wrote:
<quoted text>
Romine has huge holes in his zone and has until the end of ST to show he can plug them...Cervelli has already been tendered, Romine doesn't have Girardi's support.

Maybe name him as your unicorn to be named later trade as the Tigers salary dump Porcello to the Yanks for Nunez Is that right? Hold on..Porcello you say is a salary dump candidate at twice the money 10m he made in 2013 because he is a free agent next year in 2016 AND the Yanks can afford him and toss aside the 10m slated for Dan Haren which is such a bargain in relation to Porcello and Harens numbers which are weaker than Vargas numbers who you called an overpay at less money.

You who gives a sh1t what you see.
Girardi doesn't support Romine? Have a link to support this?...

Right, Nunez along with others...

Right, Porcello's salary will end up in the $10 million range give or take $1 million...

Right, Porcello is the better fit for NYY than Haren...

Right, Vargas was overpaid...

Again, EASE UP...

“Stay cool!!!!!”

Since: May 08

Santa Fe, NM

#297739 Nov 24, 2013
YANKEES 4 LIFE wrote:
<quoted text> Good morning brother..... Oh yeah you know im watching Survivor Series.... We have NFL,NBA, NHL, Walking Dead, Total Divas.... Wow sounds like a great day....
You are going to be on the road today?... Big games in the NFL today.... Jets and Giants will be in close games.... Canes won last night,# 4 Baylor got killed and so did Oregon.... Gaytors lost to Georgia Southern lol.... Great night....
We knew what was going to be said with the McCann signing.... Lol.... Some of it was just hate, but only because it was the Yanks that signed him.... I like Beltran as well and at least he's not looking for a 3-4 yr deal like it was first reported..... I kinda like Ellsbury more than Choo ......


my on the road is some shopping and a bar stop for some games...nfl and walking dead is my main watches today...

just dont see the yanks doing an expensive outfielder this season...beltran tops it out..

loved college yesterday and glad to see baylor go down...

“Lou Gehrig, Pride of the Yanks”

Since: Aug 08

Washington, DC

#297740 Nov 24, 2013
Da GreatDirtyWater wrote:
<quoted text>
Who would trade for a Yankee farm catcher? Think Jesus kinda dispelled that myth for good. You can't get a AAAA bullpen arm for them. Besides McCann won't be a catcher for the length of that overfat contract.
You're right, you're always right on everything.

Thanks for even showing up in here.

You're the greateat.

“Lou Gehrig, Pride of the Yanks”

Since: Aug 08

Washington, DC

#297741 Nov 24, 2013
Yankees Make Best Possible Catcher Upgrade In McCann

By Tim Dierkes [November 23, 2013 at 8:26pm CST]

When the 2013-2014 offseason is said and done, there are going to be many major signings no one saw coming in September, in terms of the contract or the destination. The Yankees' five-year,$85MM deal with catcher Brian McCann won't be one of them. The Yankees were in dire need of catching and a middle of the order bat, they have payroll flexibility, and McCann was easily the best option.

McCann's contract wasn't much beyond expectations, though agent B.B. Abbott did score significant value additions in a full no-trade clause and a sixth-year vesting option. Not all free agents of this caliber are able to secure full no-trade clauses. For example, B.J. Upton and Jose Reyes did not. As for the vesting option, its value will depend on how easily attainable it is.

For the Yankees, McCann is an upgrade on the magnitude of perhaps three wins above replacement, since they had Francisco Cervelli, Chris Stewart, and Austin Romine on the depth chart at catcher. He's a good fit for their ballpark, and can transition to a part-time designated hitter role toward the end of the contract. McCann doesn't turn 30 until February, though, so I doubt he's thinking much about the DH position except as a way to grab some extra at-bats. Locking down a surefire middle of the order bat was important for the Yankees, as before this signing the heart of their 2014 order was Mark Teixeira and Alfonso Soriano.

The November contract for McCann is also a sign the Yankees will be true to their word about not letting Robinson Cano hold up their offseason. They've snagged the fourth-best free agent in McCann. While the lines of communication will surely remain open with Cano, it seems the Yankees will move right along looking at Carlos Beltran and a cast of other top free agents. The Yankees do have a payroll limit, and as they continue putting free agent notches in their belt, the money available for Cano will have to be reduced.

“Lou Gehrig, Pride of the Yanks”

Since: Aug 08

Washington, DC

#297742 Nov 24, 2013
Yankees growing confident SP Kuroda will return

SB Nation | Nov 24
0 0


Kuroda would likely be looking for a one-year deal if he comes back as he has publicly stated he wants to pitch in Japan again before retirement.

The Yankees are growing more confident that starting pitcher Hiroki Kuroda will play one more season in the MLB, reports Joel Sherman of the New York Post.

At the outset of the offseason, the team was less-than-optimistic that Kuroda would choose to return. He has made it public that he would like to go back to Japan to pitch before he officially retires from baseball. The 38-year-old is nearing the end of his playing days and could choose to call it quits any year now.
- See more at: http://www.prosportsdaily.com/articles/yankee...

“Lou Gehrig, Pride of the Yanks”

Since: Aug 08

Washington, DC

#297743 Nov 24, 2013
Yankees taking a gamble and plan on front loading this years FA signings while AROID's suspended?

“Lou Gehrig, Pride of the Yanks”

Since: Aug 08

Washington, DC

#297744 Nov 24, 2013
If Yankees still want Cano, have they abandoned luxury tax goal?

CBSSports.com | Nov 23
0 0


The New York Yankees have landed Brian McCann on a five-year,$85 million deal. Robinson Cano is still sitting on the free agent market unsigned and surely they'd like to retain him. Putting these things together and realizing the Yankees have several other holes to fill, that $189 million luxury tax figure looks awfully small compared to where things may end up in the Bronx.

All we've heard about the Yankees and salary in the past year or two is that they want to stay under the luxury tax threshold, but that seems a distant memory in light of how things appear to be going this offseason.

After all the arbitration deals are completed, the Yankees should be sitting at around $120 million in salary holdovers, if not more. McCann's deal takes them to $137 million (unless it's backloaded, which it may well be). My best guess is Robinson Cano ends up getting about $25 million per season, which would take things to $162 million.

That would only leave $27 million to play with. And, again, there are holes.

They need to land some starting pitching help -- unless the Yankees want Ivan Nova, David Phelps, Michael Pineda (if healthy) and Adam Warren in the rotation behind CC Sabathia heading into next season.

Plus, do the Yankees actually want to head into next season with Vernon Wells, Alfonso Soriano and Ichiro Suzuki as the outfield options flanking Brett Gardner? This is where Carlos Beltran has been connected in rumors
- See more at: http://www.prosportsdaily.com/articles/if-yan...
NYStateOfMind

New York, NY

#297745 Nov 24, 2013
YANKEES 4 LIFE wrote:
Very interesting.....I know some NYY fans like Ellsbury, im on of them despite him having one good year.... Is he worth close to a $100 million dollars even though he's a great all around player?... I say no, but he's worth something..... We have discussed this before, but take a look at his and Gardners numbers.....

Jacoby Ellsbury .298 BA,.355 OBP, 9 HR,.426 Slugging,.781 OPS, 92 Runs, 52 SB
Brett Gardner .273 BA,.344 OBP, 8 HR,.416 Slugging,.759 OPS, 81 Runs, 24 SB

Hes basically Gardner 2.0..... The biggest difference is SBs, which are sure to decline over the life of a long term contract anyways as they both approach their age 30 seasons.... So a long term for Ellsbury is not in the cards, but anything less im all in for him.....
Ellsbury may give a team better long term value. He's bigger & stronger than Gardner & think would transition easier from a speed game over time. The obvious question is his durability. Which team will invest 6+ years guaranteed based on his health history...

Gardner's best asset is his legs. Question is, not if but when Gardner's speed diminishes, what value will he have for any team. Health could become an issue for Gardner over time. He's played in 1 full season (2011) over the last 4...

Only reason I see NYY getting involved with Ellsbury is Gardner will be moved this off season for either a SS/3B or SP...

“Stay cool!!!!!”

Since: May 08

Santa Fe, NM

#297746 Nov 24, 2013
FuMan Chu Yanks wrote:
Yankees growing confident SP Kuroda will return
SB Nation | Nov 24
0 0
Kuroda would likely be looking for a one-year deal if he comes back as he has publicly stated he wants to pitch in Japan again before retirement.
The Yankees are growing more confident that starting pitcher Hiroki Kuroda will play one more season in the MLB, reports Joel Sherman of the New York Post.
At the outset of the offseason, the team was less-than-optimistic that Kuroda would choose to return. He has made it public that he would like to go back to Japan to pitch before he officially retires from baseball. The 38-year-old is nearing the end of his playing days and could choose to call it quits any year now.
- See more at: http://www.prosportsdaily.com/articles/yankee...


1 yr deal...fine...not much better our there...and if the yanks can post up and secure tanaka, it could be an interesting starting 5...with nova as the 4 guy...

“Lou Gehrig, Pride of the Yanks”

Since: Aug 08

Washington, DC

#297747 Nov 24, 2013
Yankees sign Brian McCann: The effect on catching depth

By Jesse Schindler on Nov 24 2013, 11:00a

http://www.prosportsdaily.com/Headlines/Exter...

“Lou Gehrig, Pride of the Yanks”

Since: Aug 08

Washington, DC

#297748 Nov 24, 2013
NYStateOfMind wrote:
<quoted text>
Ellsbury may give a team better long term value. He's bigger & stronger than Gardner & think would transition easier from a speed game over time. The obvious question is his durability. Which team will invest 6+ years guaranteed based on his health history...
Gardner's best asset is his legs. Question is, not if but when Gardner's speed diminishes, what value will he have for any team. Health could become an issue for Gardner over time. He's played in 1 full season (2011) over the last 4...
Only reason I see NYY getting involved with Ellsbury is Gardner will be moved this off season for either a SS/3B or SP...
Id rather have Choo who is an OBP machine, more durable and more power then both.

“Stay cool!!!!!”

Since: May 08

Santa Fe, NM

#297749 Nov 24, 2013
FuMan Chu Yanks wrote:
Yankees taking a gamble and plan on front loading this years FA signings while AROID's suspended?


it looks like he will be suspended...just guesswork, but his running out was staged as it was either the news or post which watched his limo waiting for him on the side of the building pull up moments before he stormed out...he was not going to testify under oath...

lets not forget his lying to Katie Couric on national tv...or raffy palmero in congress, or barry bonds...McQuire who refused to reply

these guys know how to lie, avoid detection....

how about Sammy sosa .forgetting English at the last moment

aroid has learned well from momma and unbiased

deny, deny deny

one thing they are finding out with legal people telling them...arb was set up by the players themselves and union...they got it and its been successful in making suspensions shorter...

no way the feds overturn a legal system that has worked and was approved by the players...

if arod goes down and it seems by his actions It will happen, yanks end up with the savings...

so, time for sox fan to cry and whine like a little girl about it..or act like a legal eagle and tell us how he is always right and it wont happen...as if...

“Stay cool!!!!!”

Since: May 08

Santa Fe, NM

#297750 Nov 24, 2013
NYStateOfMind wrote:
<quoted text>
Ellsbury may give a team better long term value. He's bigger & stronger than Gardner & think would transition easier from a speed game over time. The obvious question is his durability. Which team will invest 6+ years guaranteed based on his health history...
Gardner's best asset is his legs. Question is, not if but when Gardner's speed diminishes, what value will he have for any team. Health could become an issue for Gardner over time. He's played in 1 full season (2011) over the last 4...
Only reason I see NYY getting involved with Ellsbury is Gardner will be moved this off season for either a SS/3B or SP...


if els signs, isn't that a goodbye to cano...then they need to fill the second base hole..

“Lou Gehrig, Pride of the Yanks”

Since: Aug 08

Washington, DC

#297751 Nov 24, 2013
Da GreatDirtyWater wrote:
<quoted text>
Bitter? Sox don't want to go more than 2 years on a catcher and I agree especially for a 240 hitting guy for $100m.
Bitter? How many times have I posted I didn't want the Sox to have anything to do with McCann as Salty put up better numbers last year.
Yanks overpaid for a guy who will be a dead pull 230 hitting DH within 3 years
You've convinced me now that this was a bad signing. You're the greatest that ever lived.

At 29 McCann matches to:

Compare Stats to Similars
1.Lance Parrish (924)
2.Gary Carter (894)*
3.Frankie Hayes (881)
4.Bill Freehan (881)
5.Yogi Berra (875)*
6.Miguel Tejada (854)
7.Del Crandall (854)
8.Bill Dickey (853)*
9.Yadier Molina (849)
10.Tim McCarver (846)

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/m/m...
NYStateOfMind

New York, NY

#297752 Nov 24, 2013
FuMan Chu Yanks wrote:
Yankees taking a gamble and plan on front loading this years FA signings while AROID's suspended?
Think McCann's 2014 salary that counts towards the lux tax will determine how NYY will structure new contracts going forward...
NYStateOfMind

New York, NY

#297753 Nov 24, 2013
FuMan Chu Yanks wrote:
<quoted text>
Id rather have Choo who is an OBP machine, more durable and more power then both.
Shin can't hit LHP. Too big a negative to ignore for a starting position player...

“Lou Gehrig, Pride of the Yanks”

Since: Aug 08

Washington, DC

#297754 Nov 24, 2013
jimi-yank wrote:
<quoted text>
1 yr deal...fine...not much better our there...and if the yanks can post up and secure tanaka, it could be an interesting starting 5...with nova as the 4 guy...
One year deal is fine....but go get Tanaka. Posting fees not applied to the Tax.

Phelps is plan "B" and he should be. He's solid and can eat innings.
NYStateOfMind

New York, NY

#297755 Nov 24, 2013
jimi-yank wrote:
<quoted text>
if els signs, isn't that a goodbye to cano...then they need to fill the second base hole..
Not at all. Think NYY will structure new contracts to take a low salary in 2014 in order to stay under $189 million. That includes Cano...

“Lou Gehrig, Pride of the Yanks”

Since: Aug 08

Washington, DC

#297756 Nov 24, 2013
NYStateOfMind wrote:
<quoted text>
Think McCann's 2014 salary that counts towards the lux tax will determine how NYY will structure new contracts going forward...
Good point, MLB scrutinizes back loaded deals besides.

“Lou Gehrig, Pride of the Yanks”

Since: Aug 08

Washington, DC

#297757 Nov 24, 2013
NYStateOfMind wrote:
<quoted text>
Shin can't hit LHP. Too big a negative to ignore for a starting position player...
Disagree that its too big a negative. He had a .350 OBP vs lefties..450 vs righties. He's an OBP machine which is what they need in the top of the order plus he has pop in his bat.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/spl...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jackson-Heights Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
President Trump's first 100 days - Roadmap to D... (Nov '16) 8 min NEMO 3,698
Time to go? (Jun '15) 17 min Economics 13,349
Drop a Word, Add a Word (Jan '10) 36 min Ward Cleaver 16,424
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 42 min cpeter1313 314,294
Mets talkback (Dec '07) 2 hr billy ball 44,581
News Don Rickles, legendary comic, dead at age 90 Apr '17 He made me laugh 1
News The Complexities of Being Both Latino and Muslim Dec '16 Nonlib 3

Jackson-Heights Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Jackson-Heights Mortgages