Comments
289,681 - 289,700 of 307,459 Comments Last updated 4 hrs ago

“Stay cool!!!!!”

Since: May 08

New York, NY

#296047 Nov 6, 2013
Brookhaven John wrote:
<quoted text>
Sandy claims he's not worried about losing a draft pick to sign a top tier free agent. I honestly think he needs to make a splash at the winter meetings this year, after being virtually stagnant for the past few years. He's got the money to blow. Rumor has it they are looking at Peralta, Granderson & Bronson Arrojo. They are expected to re-sign Dice K & LaTroy Hawkins. If you really look at it, with the exception of 3rd base, Sandy has an open field to work with, he can upgrade wherever he wants & trade off the leftovers, really. It's going to be interesting...

Isn't the mets first round pick protected this year? so he loses a second rounder?

Sandy promised wright he would spend this year and has to keep his promise.

Dice K?? he is nothing at this point in his career. Hawkins is a capable and just decent player now.

Your 3 choices are not bad, but not really game changers, except maybe peralta.

I think the loss of Harvey for this year is huge. I would think another pitcher then arroyo might be better.

Mets for sure will be better then philly and the marlins.
Da GreatDirtyWater

Earlwood, Australia

#296048 Nov 6, 2013
FuMan Chu Yanks wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah his defense really hurt the Red Sox....lol...SIGN SALTY!!
FU WANTS SALTY!!
FU WANTS SALTY!!
FU WANTS SALTY!!
bit of a shame for you then cuz Salty wants the Sox:

Saltalamacchia went on to say that he felt lucky to be able to go to Fenway Park for work each day for the four years he spent in Boston, and that his preference is to remain with the Red Sox. Saltalamacchia went so far as to say that as long as the offers were close, he'd turn down a larger offer from another team to stay in Boston.

Nice bargaining chip there Salty... my guess is the streamers and bottles are cleared out of the office..then the Red Sox structure a deal that benefits the team and a guy who is team.

Sorry Fu, enjoy Peizinski the most hated player in baseball...or rely on that storied 'great Yankee catching depth'.

Who knows where the Yankees go. Its time for Cashman to step and show he isn't a checkbook GM. I don't think he's much without the checkbook. He's only built a mess and excuses.

“Stay cool!!!!!”

New York, NY

#296049 Nov 6, 2013
NYStateOfMind wrote:
<quoted text>
Ryan can't hit. Too much an offensive liability to start...

I think if healthy, Derek is the starting ss...as for your comment on ryan, you then claimed romine starts a guy who if not for getting hot at the end of the year would be a 190 hitter with no power at all, almost an automatic out. I just don't see it at this point.

I really think due to last years zero hitting from that spot, no matter what, cash changes that this year. I would think that is his biggest priority next to pitching.
Da GreatDirtyWater

Earlwood, Australia

#296050 Nov 6, 2013
Brookhaven John wrote:
<quoted text>
Sandy claims he's not worried about losing a draft pick to sign a top tier free agent. I honestly think he needs to make a splash at the winter meetings this year, after being virtually stagnant for the past few years. He's got the money to blow. Rumor has it they are looking at Peralta, Granderson & Bronson Arrojo. They are expected to re-sign Dice K & LaTroy Hawkins. If you really look at it, with the exception of 3rd base, Sandy has an open field to work with, he can upgrade wherever he wants & trade off the leftovers, really. It's going to be interesting...
If I'm Sandy then by the end of the winter meetings David Price is the opening day Mets starter, Mets have the chips..arms that the Rays love and the oft-traded catching prospect they need.

I do that in a second
Da GreatDirtyWater

Earlwood, Australia

#296051 Nov 6, 2013
jimi-yank wrote:
<quoted text>
I think if healthy, Derek is the starting ss...as for your comment on ryan, you then claimed romine starts a guy who if not for getting hot at the end of the year would be a 190 hitter with no power at all, almost an automatic out. I just don't see it at this point.
I really think due to last years zero hitting from that spot, no matter what, cash changes that this year. I would think that is his biggest priority next to pitching.
Jeter isn't now or never will be an everyday SS again. He embarassed himself last season. If Cano is gone then he will never don a glove there again.

Dude have I not beeen real with you on the Yankee scouting? Really? Romine has a few huge holes in his strike zone. If he can fill them and he did patch them, then he will be a mlb AAAA catcher.

Agreed on pitching. Forget about your 30 HR guys. Yanks need starters AND pen. CC falls hard and it's no true #2 unless Kuroda resigns on less money for a 1 year, not likely.

Pray they resign Cano though they are already contacing replacements...pray Teixi has no injury hangover.
Da GreatDirtyWater

Earlwood, Australia

#296052 Nov 6, 2013
jimi-yank wrote:
<quoted text>
Isn't the mets first round pick protected this year? so he loses a second rounder?
Sandy promised wright he would spend this year and has to keep his promise.
Dice K?? he is nothing at this point in his career. Hawkins is a capable and just decent player now.
Your 3 choices are not bad, but not really game changers, except maybe peralta.
I think the loss of Harvey for this year is huge. I would think another pitcher then arroyo might be better.
Mets for sure will be better then philly and the marlins.
Mets should go hard on Cano Halladay Cruz and Ellsbury. 2 of 4 of that group great..3 of 4 awesome.

And get David Price at all costs... they got farm...use it.

“Stay cool!!!!!”

New York, NY

#296053 Nov 6, 2013
Da GreatDirtyWater wrote:
<quoted text>
Jeter isn't now or never will be an everyday SS again. He embarassed himself last season. If Cano is gone then he will never don a glove there again.
Dude have I not beeen real with you on the Yankee scouting? Really? Romine has a few huge holes in his strike zone. If he can fill them and he did patch them, then he will be a mlb AAAA catcher.
Agreed on pitching. Forget about your 30 HR guys. Yanks need starters AND pen. CC falls hard and it's no true #2 unless Kuroda resigns on less money for a 1 year, not likely.
Pray they resign Cano though they are already contacing replacements...pray Teixi has no injury hangover.

read my comment closely on romine..what does it say? thanks

as for pitching, its what wins. I agree 100% on that comment..they can make some minor trades for some power but if no pitching, its a moot point

as for your price comment, its perhaps your best one...he is available and sandy has the chips...if he can keep wheeler and he has price, Harvey and wheeler, as the 1-3...then its dominant and changes the balance of power big time.

Of course that is 2015 and he has to be signed long term...but even in 2014 with price, wheeler and the other starters it would be a huge leap. It could be the best pick up

will sandy do it. doubt it.

“Stay cool!!!!!”

New York, NY

#296054 Nov 6, 2013
Da GreatDirtyWater wrote:
<quoted text>
Mets should go hard on Cano Halladay Cruz and Ellsbury. 2 of 4 of that group great..3 of 4 awesome.
And get David Price at all costs... they got farm...use it.

I agree, good thoughts

now, who do the yanks pickup...

“2014 Yankees”

Since: Aug 08

We're Back for # 28

#296055 Nov 6, 2013
Brookhaven John wrote:
<quoted text>
Mets finishing in the bottom 10 of all teams don't lose their number one pick signing a FA. They can spend like drunken sailors this offseason on shore leave in Naples Italy.

“2014 Yankees”

We're Back for # 28

#296056 Nov 6, 2013
Yanks Made Preliminary Inquiry On Brandon Phillips

By Steve Adams [November 5, 2013 at 4:37pm CST]

Preparing themselves in the event that Robinson Cano signs elsewhere, the Yankees have placed a preliminary call to the Reds on Brandon Phillips, reports Jon Heyman of CBS Sports. Cincinnati's asking price for Phillips is said to be "way too steep" according to Heyman.

Phillips, 32, batted .261/.310/.396 with 18 home runs this season but was involved in a pair of ugly PR incidents: one in which he publicly complained about how the Reds handled his contract negotiations and another in which went on a tirade against a Cincinnati reporter for pointing to his low on-base percentage. He is owed $50MM over the final four years of his six-year,$72.5MM contract.

Reports from this past weekend indicated that the Yankees made a similar preliminary inquiry on free agent Omar Infante. The Yankees are still considered the favorites to re-sign Cano this offseason, but it's not surprising to see GM Brian Cashman doing his homework in the event that another team swoops in and lands the All-Star second baseman

“2014 Yankees”

We're Back for # 28

#296057 Nov 6, 2013
Latest On Brian McCann

By Steve Adams [November 5, 2013 at 4:06pm CST]

One catcher is already off the market with the news that the Rangers have re-signed Geovany Soto to a one-year,$3.05MM contract, but the biggest fish on that market is likely to take his time. As it stands right now, the Red Sox, Yankees and Rangers could all be players for McCann.

Agent B.B. Abbott of Jet Sports Management tells Scott Lauber of the Boston Herald that the Red Sox would be a consideration if Jarrod Saltalamacchia signs elsewhere:

"Certainly Boston is a city that Brian likes, and he has always respected the organization and the front office," said Abbott. "Obviously, the coaching staff and clubhouse unity is attractive. He has also always been fascinated with the fan base, their support of the Red Sox and the history of the organization. Boston would certainly be a place that would be a consideration for Brian."

Abbott wouldn't comment on whether or not the Red Sox have actually reached out regarding McCann, but Andy McCullough of the Star Ledger reports that the Yankees indeed have contacted Abbott regarding the longtime Braves backstop. McCullough spoke with a pair of rival executives who believe that the bidding for McCann could top $100MM, which would be a stark increase from the five-year,$80MM deal predicted by MLBTR's Tim Dierkes in his free agent profile of McCann.

Andy Martino of the New York Daily News echoes the report on the Yanks' interest, adding that the Red Sox and "especially" the Rangers are expected to be serious competitors for Yankees GM Brian Cashman in his pursuit of McCann (Twitter link).

McCann is coming off his seventh straight 20-homer season despite starting the year on the disabled list. The seven-time All-Star made a bid for his sixth Silver Slugger award by hitting .256/.336/.461 in 2013.
NYStateOfMind

New York, NY

#296058 Nov 6, 2013
jimi-yank wrote:
<quoted text>

To me, the difference is Romine is 9 years younger than Ryan. It's time he shows what he can do @ the MLB level. No point him being @ SWB. Ryan has shown over the last 5 seasons he's an offensive liability. There was a reason SEA cut him loose in Sep & that team had huge offensive issues...

Think Cashman's 1st priority is to resign Cano quickly. Where Cano signs will determine where NYY goes regarding SP's & position players. If Cano sits back & waits on offers, then Cashman probably looks @ SP/OF whether it's in trades or FA...

Wouldn't be surprised if NYY is in on all 3 FA C's @ some point this off season...

“2014 Yankees”

We're Back for # 28

#296059 Nov 6, 2013
Should the Yankees bring back Mark Reynolds and Brendan Ryan?

injuries to Mark Teixeira, Derek Jeter, Kevin Youkilis, and Alex Rodriguez led to some some gaping holes in the infield last year. It soon became clear that Eduardo Nunez and David Adams wouldn't cut it as replacements, meaning they had to look for help from outside of the organization. To fill the void, they trotted out a melange of sub-replacement-level waiver wire fodder -- Lyle Overbay, Chris Nelson, Alberto Gonzalez, Reid Brignac, Luis Cruz, Travis Ishikawa, and Brent Lillibridge -- before settling on Mark Reynolds and Brendan Ryan late in the year. The bar was set pretty low, but both were both clear upgrades. It was a small sample, but Ryan and Reynolds combined for nearly one WAR over the final few weeks of the season. Neither is under contract for 2014, so is there a place for them on next year's team?

Mark Reynolds

Reynolds is a one trick pony and that trick is hitting homers. The downside to his offensive game is that he strikes out a lot... a real lot -- nearly one third of the time. Since becoming a full-time player in 2008, he's hit the 5th most home runs in baseball, including 21 bombs in a down 2013 season; but he also has more strikeouts than anyone else during that time. Reynolds is the epitome of the all or nothing hitter, but the good mostly outweighs the bad. Overall, he's roughly a league average hitter.

Defensively, there isn't much good to say about Reynolds. The Yankees have an opening at third for next year, but Reynolds isn't a third baseman. Sure, he's played third, but its pretty clear that he can't hack it at the position. Over the last three years, he holds a -30UZR/150 at the hot corner, by far the worst in baseball for players with a full season's worth of innings. So in a full season, Reynolds' defense costs his team something close to three wins compared to the average third baseman. His defense at first is also poor, but is at least manageable (-10 UZR/150 over the last three years).

In a nutshell, Reynolds is a first base/designated hitter type with a league-average bat who can fake it at third in an emergency. A player like that has value, but probably not for the Yankees. The bombers already have Teixeira slotted at first and would probably be best served to use the DH spot to give days off to old and defensively challenged players like Derek Jeter, Alex Rodriguez, Alfonso Soriano, and hopefully Carlos Beltran. Reynolds also hasn't exhibited much of a platoon split in recent years, which limits his utility as a part-time role player.

Brendan Ryan

Like Reynolds, Ryan has a dominant skill, only Ryan's calling card is defense. When it comes to picking it a shortstop, Ryan is one of the best. With the bat, though, he's close to helpless -- he's only managed to slash .196/.268/.275 over the last two seasons.

If Jeter ends up playing shortstop again next year, Ryan might have a role with the team as a defensive replacement -- he's leaps and bounds better than Jeter on defense. But, frankly neither Jeter nor Ryan should be the Yankees' shortstop in 2014. Ryan's slick fielding probably makes him worthy of a bench spot, but his anemic hitting makes it hard to justify using him as an everyday player. The Yankees would be wise to pay up for a more viable shortstop option like Stephen Drew or Jhonny Peralta.

A player with Reynolds' offense with Ryan's defense would be something close to elite, but by themselves they're nothing more than role players. Their unusual skill sets make them intriguing players, and they helped keep the Yankees watchable in September; but they probably don't have much to offer for next year's team. Unless they're willing to come back on a minor league deal, or for something close to league minimum, it would probably be best for the Yankees to find some better options.

More from Pinstripe Alley:
NYStateOfMind

New York, NY

#296060 Nov 6, 2013
Brookhaven John wrote:
<quoted text>
Question is will Alderson overpay some & offer more than 5 years to top tier FA's. Think that's what it's going to take to sign them...

“2014 Yankees”

We're Back for # 28

#296061 Nov 6, 2013
NYStateOfMind wrote:
<quoted text>
To me, the difference is Romine is 9 years younger than Ryan. It's time he shows what he can do @ the MLB level. No point him being @ SWB. Ryan has shown over the last 5 seasons he's an offensive liability. There was a reason SEA cut him loose in Sep & that team had huge offensive issues...
Think Cashman's 1st priority is to resign Cano quickly. Where Cano signs will determine where NYY goes regarding SP's & position players. If Cano sits back & waits on offers, then Cashman probably looks @ SP/OF whether it's in trades or FA...
Wouldn't be surprised if NYY is in on all 3 FA C's @ some point this off season...
Cashman can't wait on Cano and must be aggressive early on this offseason.

“2014 Yankees”

We're Back for # 28

#296062 Nov 6, 2013
jimi-yank wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree, good thoughts
now, who do the yanks pickup...
Cano will come with a $200 million price tag?

Don't you just know this was planted by the Yankees?

http://nypost.com/2013/11/04/yanks-must-find-...
NYStateOfMind

New York, NY

#296063 Nov 6, 2013
FuMan Chu Yanks wrote:
<quoted text>
Cashman can't wait on Cano and must be aggressive early on this offseason.
Don't see how Cashman can go aggressive early on. Cano is the 1st priority, especially if Hal wants to stay under $189 million in 2014. Once his 2014 salary is settled, then Cashman goes after the rest of the needs...

It's not a strong FA group where Cashman has to jump on any 1 player. Outside of Cano, it's mostly a group of complimentary players. Not 1 FA SP that's considered an ace or #2 or a position player that's a difference maker...

“2014 Yankees”

We're Back for # 28

#296064 Nov 6, 2013
NYStateOfMind wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't see how Cashman can go aggressive early on. Cano is the 1st priority, especially if Hal wants to stay under $189 million in 2014. Once his 2014 salary is settled, then Cashman goes after the rest of the needs...
It's not a strong FA group where Cashman has to jump on any 1 player. Outside of Cano, it's mostly a group of complimentary players. Not 1 FA SP that's considered an ace or #2 or a position player that's a difference maker...
Sign:

Choo
Tanaka
Salty

Reisgn Cano, Boone, Reynolds and Ryan.

Dump Wells, Cervelli and Stewart.
NYStateOfMind

New York, NY

#296065 Nov 6, 2013
FuMan Chu Yanks wrote:
<quoted text>
Sign:

Choo
Tanaka
Salty

Reisgn Cano, Boone, Reynolds and Ryan.

Dump Wells, Cervelli and Stewart.
Would sign Cano, Logan & Reynolds. The rest can go elsewhere...
Brookhaven John

Brooklyn, NY

#296066 Nov 6, 2013
NYStateOfMind wrote:
<quoted text>
Would sign Cano, Logan & Reynolds. The rest can go elsewhere...
So as to level set all future discussions, what is the exact meaning of Article 13 and it's impact on a restaurant owner like me?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jackson-Heights Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 24 min Brian_G 46,316
Drop a Word, Add a Word (Jan '10) 4 hr 40ish 9,885
Add a word, Drop a word (Dec '09) 4 hr _Zoey_ 9,394
Alex 4 hr Alex 1
USA and ISIS in Iraq 5 hr nac 43
NY New York Primary Election Sept 14: Will you vote? (Sep '10) 11 hr Lol 16,781
NY Who do you support for Governor in New York in ... (Oct '10) Wed Vote Zornow 6,408
•••

Jackson-Heights News Video

•••
•••

Jackson-Heights Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Jackson-Heights People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••