Yankee talk back 4, or is it 5

“Babe Ruth, Yankee Immortal”

Since: Aug 08

Yankee Stadium

#265661 Dec 12, 2012
Paul Yanks wrote:
<quoted text>How bout Joe Morgan? he won back to back MVP's in 75-76 at the age of 31 and 32.....
And at age 33 or the 3rd year of a potential 7 year contract like Cano will probable get he fell off the cliff stat wise.

Point is buyer beware on signing long term 7 year contracts with second baseman over 30.
the don

Roslyn Heights, NY

#265662 Dec 12, 2012
FuMan Chu Yanks wrote:
<quoted text>
Two comments or observations. Cano as a FA? watch out! How many 2nd basemen were able to maintain their level of play in their 30's as they did under age 30? Other than Rod Carew I can't think of any.
Secondly in regard to Youk I remember one of the only smart things Joe Torre ever said was about Daryl Strawberry when he was a 35 year Yankee in the late 90's, "he's not the the Daryl he was 5 or 10 years ago but you won't get a pitcher who faces him at age 35 with runners in scoring position thats not going to say he is not an intimidating presence".....the same will and can be said about Youk in 2013.
"intimidating presence..the same will and can be said about youk in 2013." Comeon youk never was an intimidating presence his ststs simply don't support that statement the guy had a couple of good years in 2007 and 2008 in his career he's only driven in more then 100 RBI's once and I don't believe he's hit 30 or more HR ever while playing in a band box of a stadium Fenway.
Paul Yanks

Phoenix, AZ

#265663 Dec 12, 2012
FuMan Chu Yanks wrote:
<quoted text>
Yanks can't keep shelling out long term contracts to people, look at what the Sox and Mets did with some of those bums they had.
Not seen one of these one year FA's signings back fire on the yankees yet. Yanks are in this spot now of adding one year veteran FA's becuase of the poor performance in their farm system to produce a position player of any caliber since Cano and to a lesser extent Gardner.
The yankees model in the late 90's was internal development of good young players and some shrewd FA signings.
I'll pass on signing Josh Hamilton or trading young AA level prospects which the yankees have currently for an Upton.
Absolutely you gotta pass on Hamilton.....he wants in the neighborhood of 5-8 years at 25M per....and he has his wife monitoring his drug and alcohol problem along with being injury prone....otherwise you go after him absolutely...Yanks could of went after Justin Upton for a trade package....Dbacks at the time said they'd take Williams or Austin along with Sanchez and another decent prospect......Yanks could of made that move....that makes you wanna trade Granderson along with Hughes or Nova for a good 3B, or RF......that's being wise.....instead Ichiro at 39 is just another old guy on the team.....Youk with wrist problems is an injury prone player now....money shouldn't be a problem with the Yanks.......but it sure sounds like it is......luxury tax thing that goes into 2014 is something Hank and Hal should have to eat until ARod's deal is up in 2017......they can absorb it.....but they don't want to......maybe that's what the fans should think about too before buying tickets.....
Paul Yanks

Phoenix, AZ

#265664 Dec 12, 2012
FuMan Chu Yanks wrote:
<quoted text>
And at age 33 or the 3rd year of a potential 7 year contract like Cano will probable get he fell off the cliff stat wise.
Point is buyer beware on signing long term 7 year contracts with second baseman over 30.
Again Yanks have the money to keep Cano long term......you let him go you give up the best hitter on the team.........or you make a trade and gets some good players in return......but Hank and Hal would be stupid if they just let him walk.....Yanks could turn into the mets and become a last place team for years to come if this is the route Hank and Hal are gonna go.....but anyhow lets see how this plays out....
Paul Yanks

Phoenix, AZ

#265665 Dec 12, 2012
FuMan Chu Yanks wrote:
<quoted text>
Yanks can't keep shelling out long term contracts to people, look at what the Sox and Mets did with some of those bums they had.
Not seen one of these one year FA's signings back fire on the yankees yet. Yanks are in this spot now of adding one year veteran FA's becuase of the poor performance in their farm system to produce a position player of any caliber since Cano and to a lesser extent Gardner.
The yankees model in the late 90's was internal development of good young players and some shrewd FA signings.
I'll pass on signing Josh Hamilton or trading young AA level prospects which the yankees have currently for an Upton.
Yanks still have a good team......just need some critical pieces to be put in place.....don't have the talent ready down on the farm......gonna let a 200M payroll team fall apart.....because Hank and Hal suddenly don't wanna spend some money or make some trades that could surely make the Yanks solid again and somewhat younger......instead settle for Youk and Ichiro? can they stay healthy all year long? along with Jeter, Mo, Kuroda and Andy......all of these guys are 37 and older......and of course when ARod comes back if he does at all in 2013.....

Yankee Stadium

#265666 Dec 12, 2012
Paul Yanks wrote:
<quoted text>Yanks still have a good team......just need some critical pieces to be put in place.....don't have the talent ready down on the farm......gonna let a 200M payroll team fall apart.....because Hank and Hal suddenly don't wanna spend some money or make some trades that could surely make the Yanks solid again and somewhat younger......instead settle for Youk and Ichiro? can they stay healthy all year long? along with Jeter, Mo, Kuroda and Andy......all of these guys are 37 and older......and of course when ARod comes back if he does at all in 2013.....
This team as is will win 95 games and win the AL East. Keep this post number handy. Arod will be ready in mid July and go on a tear deep into the post season,

Yanks 2013 game one WS lineup will read:

Jeter SS.
Ichiro RF.
Texeria 1B.
Cano 2B.
Arod 3B.
Youk DH
Granderson CF.
Cervelli C.
Gardner LF.

Yanks 2013 WSC.

Yankee Stadium

#265667 Dec 12, 2012
Paul Yanks wrote:
<quoted text>Again Yanks have the money to keep Cano long term......you let him go you give up the best hitter on the team.........or you make a trade and gets some good players in return......but Hank and Hal would be stupid if they just let him walk.....Yanks could turn into the mets and become a last place team for years to come if this is the route Hank and Hal are gonna go.....but anyhow lets see how this plays out....
Yanks will in all likelihood resign Cano but let's hope they don't bid against themselves and go over board on the years offered.

But buyer beware on 33 year old second baseman.

“Stay cool!!!!!”

Since: May 08

New York, NY

#265668 Dec 12, 2012
FuMan Chu Yanks wrote:
<quoted text>
This team as is will win 95 games and win the AL East. Keep this post number handy. Arod will be ready in mid July and go on a tear deep into the post season,
Jeter SS.
Ichiro RF.
Texeria 1B.
Cano 2B.
Arod 3B.
Youk DH
Granderson CF.
Cervelli C.
Gardner LF.
Yanks 2013 WSC.

nah, I see 94 wins, lol

Yankee Stadium

#265669 Dec 12, 2012
the don wrote:
<quoted text> "intimidating presence..the same will and can be said about youk in 2013." Comeon youk never was an intimidating presence his ststs simply don't support that statement the guy had a couple of good years in 2007 and 2008 in his career he's only driven in more then 100 RBI's once and I don't believe he's hit 30 or more HR ever while playing in a band box of a stadium Fenway.
By next Memorial Day weekend you'll be going to Models to buy a Youk jersey!
Paul Yanks

Phoenix, AZ

#265670 Dec 12, 2012
FuMan Chu Yanks wrote:
<quoted text>
Yanks will in all likelihood resign Cano but let's hope they don't bid against themselves and go over board on the years offered.
But buyer beware on 33 year old second baseman.
Agree......
Paul Yanks

Phoenix, AZ

#265671 Dec 12, 2012
FuMan Chu Yanks wrote:
<quoted text>
Jeter SS.
Ichiro RF.
Texeria 1B.
Cano 2B.
Arod 3B.
Youk DH
Granderson CF.
Cervelli C.
Gardner LF.
Yanks 2013 WSC.
Way too early to make predictions......but as things stand right now I have to think Baltimore wins the division......I don't think they were a fluke finishing 2 GB the Yanks......they got a potent lineup and a decent starting staff with a solid pen......but like I says way too early right now......Hopefully Cervelli is NOT the starting catcher.....AJ would be a better choice.....

Yankee Stadium

#265672 Dec 12, 2012
Paul Yanks wrote:
<quoted text>Way too early to make predictions......but as things stand right now I have to think Baltimore wins the division......I don't think they were a fluke finishing 2 GB the Yanks......they got a potent lineup and a decent starting staff with a solid pen......but like I says way too early right now......Hopefully Cervelli is NOT the starting catcher.....AJ would be a better choice.....
Both are bottom of the barrel options so save the $$$ and use Cervelli and Stewart. Let Romine play his way on the roster down in AAA.

One last comment if you will allow my friend, I saw no blue chip free agent this year the Yanks did not sign or let "get away". You could argue the Yanks signed 5 out of the best 10 available FA's to one year contracts in Pettite, Rivera, Kuroda, Ichiro and Youk.

“Stay cool!!!!!”

New York, NY

#265673 Dec 12, 2012
FuMan Chu Yanks wrote:
<quoted text>
Both are bottom of the barrel options so save the $$$ and use Cervelli and Stewart. Let Romine play his way on the roster down in AAA.
One last comment if you will allow my friend, I saw no blue chip free agent this year the Yanks did not sign or let "get away". You could argue the Yanks signed 5 out of the best 10 available FA's to one year contracts in Pettite, Rivera, Kuroda, Ichiro and Youk.

balt had over 35 one run wins,and were insane in extra innings...they will not repeat that..

and, for all to think about

lets go back to some teams that loaded up on super stars

philly...marlins..angels..and who can forget crawford and gonzo with all the great aces and top minor league system

total bs..names and past performances do not do it...

and,its early..i will wait until spring training..

“Stay cool!!!!!”

New York, NY

#265674 Dec 12, 2012
poor moochie...hiding under his filthy rock...no suport...no shout outs..judging..

unemployed criminal...

long day of judging, maybe topix will pay him in food stamps..for that!
Paul Yanks

Phoenix, AZ

#265675 Dec 12, 2012
FuMan Chu Yanks wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree not a good crop of FA this year....but what I'm saying.....they could of got Justin Upton in a trade......if so now you can move Granderson and either Nova or Hughes and you get a good RF or 3B.....is what the Yanks could have done.......they can absorb a player that's fairly up there money wise and even some years to those deals if that's what it takes......Yanks still have a good shot at a championship if they play their cards right......farm system is just not ready.......but some moves could be made is all I'm saying instead of settling for guys like Youk and Ichiro whom both are well past their glory years......Pettitte, Kuroda, Jeter and even Mo are question marks at 41, 38, 38 and 43.......they all gotta stay healthy all year long for the Yanks to stay in contention......all the more reason you try to improve a great deal around these aging veterans.....
Yanks 56

New York, NY

#265676 Dec 12, 2012
A great many Yankee "fans" in NYC just jumped on the winning bandwagon in 1996, that is a fact I know is true, there are a couple of reasons there were so many empty seats for the last 2 years 1- the prices, 2- as I stated above, to many "fair weather fans"
LIAM

Lakeland, FL

#265677 Dec 12, 2012
Paul Yanks wrote:
<quoted text>I agree not a good crop of FA this year....but what I'm saying.....they could of got Justin Upton in a trade......if so now you can move Granderson and either Nova or Hughes and you get a good RF or 3B.....is what the Yanks could have done.......they can absorb a player that's fairly up there money wise and even some years to those deals if that's what it takes......Yanks still have a good shot at a championship if they play their cards right......farm system is just not ready.......but some moves could be made is all I'm saying instead of settling for guys like Youk and Ichiro whom both are well past their glory years......Pettitte, Kuroda, Jeter and even Mo are question marks at 41, 38, 38 and 43.......they all gotta stay healthy all year long for the Yanks to stay in contention......all the more reason you try to improve a great deal around these aging veterans.....
Paul with all respect,
Its a money game. Have you looked at the players that will be FA"s in 2014? The Yanks would save 50 MILLION dollars in getting under the 189 and then be allowed to spend whatever they wanted. Cashman although I am not a fan of he is no dummy. He is loading up on 1yr contracts. Doesnt matter for how much. They all come off the books. Boss jr's get the 50mill.......He can then go ape schit and do as he wants. Think about it....Even as is with 1yr deals the Yanks are going to be a very good team...I say win the East.
Bronx Boneheads

Florham Park, NJ

#265678 Dec 13, 2012
Yanks 56 wrote:
A great many Yankee "fans" in NYC just jumped on the winning bandwagon in 1996, that is a fact I know is true, there are a couple of reasons there were so many empty seats for the last 2 years 1- the prices, 2- as I stated above, to many "fair weather fans"
That is very true, most Yankee fans are front runners. That's why the mall and food court in the Bronx was empty during the Tiger playoff series. The so called fans knew the yankees didn't have much of a chance of winning, so why waste their time and money supporting a loser.

Yankee Stadium

#265679 Dec 13, 2012
Paul Yanks wrote:
<quoted text>I agree not a good crop of FA this year....but what I'm saying.....they could of got Justin Upton in a trade......if so now you can move Granderson and either Nova or Hughes and you get a good RF or 3B.....is what the Yanks could have done.......they can absorb a player that's fairly up there money wise and even some years to those deals if that's what it takes......Yanks still have a good shot at a championship if they play their cards right......farm system is just not ready.......but some moves could be made is all I'm saying instead of settling for guys like Youk and Ichiro whom both are well past their glory years......Pettitte, Kuroda, Jeter and even Mo are question marks at 41, 38, 38 and 43.......they all gotta stay healthy all year long for the Yanks to stay in contention......all the more reason you try to improve a great deal around these aging veterans.....
Here's an article to support your opinion.

Yankees' 1-year deals don't help team
Jon Paul Morosi
Dec 12, 2012 2:21 PM ET

Rarely has a team spent so much to improve so little.

Read MLB Buzz.
Over the past month, the New York Yankees have invested $49 million in one-year contracts for four free agents: Hiroki Kuroda, Andy Pettitte, Mariano Rivera and most recently Kevin Youkilis. That is close to what the Oakland Athletics spent on an entire division-winning roster this year. But even after handing out that sum of money, the Yankees canít argue that they are better now than they were when the Detroit Tigers swept them out of the American League Championship Series.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/yankees-hi...

“Born Genius, Slacker by Choice”

Since: Mar 12

Oyster Bay, NY

#265680 Dec 13, 2012
I don't follow sports but my brothers a big Yankee fan, or at least used to be, he said he won't go to anymore games until they get rid of all the old washed up has-beens on the team. I've never seen my brother so furious when they got that old Boston guy who he say's is another fat washed up player that no other team wanted. He said even his old manager who's now managing a horrible team didn't want him and instead took some guy from the Oriole team who he said stinks. My brother said he's worried that the next move will be the itchy guy who he say's is another washed up has-been. He said the Yankees aren't even a top 5 team in the league anymore and might finish last with the Bostons, whatever that means.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jackson-Heights Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 3 min Earthling-1 58,849
News Andrew Jackson is getting bumped from the $20 4 min 2 Dogs 84
The United Hates of America (Sep '10) 5 min friend of elvis 2,173
Review: I Love Kickboxing - Midtown East 43rd (Nov '13) 10 min DFlowers 67
Drop a Word, Add a Word (Jan '10) 1 hr GEORGIA 13,748
Add a word, Drop a word (Dec '09) 1 hr GEORGIA 14,758
News Donald Trump overwhelmingly wins Hispanic vote ... Apr 21 BS detector 12
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Jackson-Heights Mortgages