Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds up, leaving litt...

There are 20 comments on the Newsday story from Dec 14, 2008, titled Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds up, leaving litt.... In it, Newsday reports that:

When Bill Clinton took office in 1993, global warming was a slow-moving environmental problem that was easy to ignore.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

Since: Apr 08

"the green troll"

#44975 Mar 24, 2014
Professor Emeritus Fellow wrote:
The government’s new data.gov/climate website will be operated by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) and NASA. However, as The New American pointed out in a January 28 article,“Multiple U.S. government bureaucracies including NOAA, NASA, and the Department of Energy are again being accused of inappropriately manipulating temperature data — or ‘adjusting’ it, as officials at the agencies implicated in the scandal put it — to show global warming.”
The article quoted Steven Goddard, an independent analyst at Real Science, who wrote:“NOAA made a big deal about 2012 blowing away all temperature records, but the temperature they reported is the result of a huge error. This affects all NOAA and NASA U.S. temperature graphs, and is part of the cause of this famous shift.”
Goddard also cited satellite data indicating that by 2008, U.S. temperatures, far from increasing, had actually cooled down below 1980s and '90s levels.
The article also cited respected climatologist Dr. Roy Spencer, who served as senior scientist for climate studies at NASA’s Marshall Space Flight Center before joining the faculty at the University of Alabama in Huntsville. Spencer provided evidence that “virtually all of the USHCN [U.S. Historical Climatology Network] warming since 1973 appears to be the result of adjustments NOAA has made to the data." Dr. Spencer said that his own studies of the data and corrections to account for urban heat island (UHI) effects “support [Steve Goddard’s] contention that there’s something funny going on in the USHCN data.”
Dr. Spencer concluded:“Clearly, adjustments to surface temperature data are at least as large as the global warming signal being sought." (Emphasis in original.) "Until a transparent analysis of the USHCN methodology is carried out, and alternative methods and temperature datasets are tested, I can’t bring myself to believe any U.S. government pronouncements regarding record warm temperatures.”
Goddard is a high priest of the cult of stupid and New American worships before his alter.

USHCN data is for the US only and therefore says nothing about global temperatures.

The USHCN adjustments were made because the time of observation had changed in the temperature record. The reason for the adjustments is laid out in the scientific literature.

Goddard has never challenged these reasons.

Because he is the priest of a cult and his job is to spout stupidity for cult members to swallow and pass on- which, being cult members, they do without question.

You might as well ask a voodoo witch doctor for analysis of the temperature data.

“EnvironMENTAList ”

Since: Feb 07

Near Detroit

#44976 Mar 24, 2014
The world of "Science" itself is the real problem because another 32 years of science being only "95%" certain that we need to SAVE THE PLANET is unsustainable for convincing the leaders of the world that CO2 mitigation is needed. Science can end this endless debate and doubt and denial by giving us a real warning for a real crisis like they can say smoking causes cancer, evolution is proven and comet hits are "inevitable". The ultimate crisis needs the ultimate certainty for anyone to “believe” the end is near.
For now the "deniers" have won;
*Occupywallstreet now does not even mention CO2 in its list of demands because of the bank-funded and corporate run carbon trading stock markets ruled by politicians.
*Canada killed Y2Kyoto with a freely elected climate change denying prime minister and nobody cared, especially the millions of scientists warning us of unstoppable warming (a comet hit).
Professor Emeritus Fellow wrote:
The government’s new data.gov/climate website will be operated by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) and NASA. However, as The New American pointed out in a January 28 article,“Multiple U.S. government bureaucracies including NOAA, NASA, and the Department of Energy are again being accused of inappropriately manipulating temperature data — or ‘adjusting’ it, as officials at the agencies implicated in the scandal put it — to show global warming.”
The article quoted Steven Goddard, an independent analyst at Real Science, who wrote:“NOAA made a big deal about 2012 blowing away all temperature records, but the temperature they reported is the result of a huge error. This affects all NOAA and NASA U.S. temperature graphs, and is part of the cause of this famous shift.”
Goddard also cited satellite data indicating that by 2008, U.S. temperatures, far from increasing, had actually cooled down below 1980s and '90s levels.
The article also cited respected climatologist Dr. Roy Spencer, who served as senior scientist for climate studies at NASA’s Marshall Space Flight Center before joining the faculty at the University of Alabama in Huntsville. Spencer provided evidence that “virtually all of the USHCN [U.S. Historical Climatology Network] warming since 1973 appears to be the result of adjustments NOAA has made to the data." Dr. Spencer said that his own studies of the data and corrections to account for urban heat island (UHI) effects “support [Steve Goddard’s] contention that there’s something funny going on in the USHCN data.”
Dr. Spencer concluded:“Clearly, adjustments to surface temperature data are at least as large as the global warming signal being sought." (Emphasis in original.) "Until a transparent analysis of the USHCN methodology is carried out, and alternative methods and temperature datasets are tested, I can’t bring myself to believe any U.S. government pronouncements regarding record warm temperatures.”

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#44977 Mar 24, 2014
Jefferson wrote:
<quoted text>
That's not true at all.
The why don't you flat earther's ever enlighten us with the truth. Those BS bagger blogs cut n pasted on here are not facts it's just opinions. Science consists of facts & theories put to the test then a conclusion is reached. The conclusion in this case is that man is contributing to climate change and there is no benefit in it for the vast bulk of planet's population.
Throughout history whenever there is a scientific discovery that clashes with a religious belief then it's discoverer is deemed heretic and a scammer. Much like climate scientists of today with your fringe group of flat earther's. There is no substance to anything that is used in the denier process only a firm belief that the fossil God who has looked after you for centuries is worth defending. After all those first caveman scientists might have discovered it after throwing a few black rocks on a fire and found they caught alight. Science has now moved on, and it's unfortunate that you refuse to move with it.
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#44978 Mar 24, 2014
mememine69 wrote:
The world of "Science" itself is the real problem because another 32 years of science being only "95%" certain that we need to SAVE THE PLANET is unsustainable for convincing the leaders of the world that CO2 mitigation is needed. Science can end this endless debate and doubt and denial by giving us a real warning for a real crisis like they can say smoking causes cancer, evolution is proven and comet hits are "inevitable". The ultimate crisis needs the ultimate certainty for anyone to “believe” the end is near.
*Occupywallstreet now does not even mention CO2 in its list of demands because of the bank-funded and corporate run carbon trading stock markets ruled by politicians.
*Canada killed Y2Kyoto with a freely elected climate change denying prime minister and nobody cared, especially the millions of scientists warning us of unstoppable warming (a comet hit).
<quoted text>
huh what are you saying incoherently!

Hope your family checks up on you, in Canada.
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#44980 Mar 24, 2014
The World Meteorological Organization, marking today's celebration of World Meteorological Day, also published its "Annual Statement on the Status of the Global Climate." The report confirms that 2013 tied with 2007 as the sixth-warmest year on record and comes just a day ahead of Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) talks scheduled for this week in Yokohama, Japan.

"Many of the extreme events of 2013 were consistent with what we would expect as a result of human-induced climate change. We saw heavier precipitation, more intense heat, and more damage from storm surges and coastal flooding as a result of sea-level rise -- as Typhoon Haiyan so tragically demonstrated in the Philippines," Jarraud said.

Key climate events of 2013 included heavy rains and severe floods in Sudan, Somalia, northeast China, the India-Nepal border, the eastern Russian Federation, Austria, the Czech Republic, Germany, Poland, Switzerland and Europe's Alpine region. Frigid polar air plummeted into parts of Europe and the southeastern United States, while the Middle East saw unprecedented snowfall in Israel, Jordan and Syria.

Antarctica experienced its second-largest minimum sea-ice extent during the melt season in 2013 and, during the growth season, the largest sea-ice extent since records began in 1979.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, widespread heat waves scorched Australia with record warmth and gave Argentina its second-warmest year on record and New Zealand its third-warmest.

Severe drought gripped many countries around the world -- including southern China and northeastern Brazil, which experienced its worst in 50 years. Even La Réunion, a small French island in the southeast Indian Ocean, experienced historic droughts from May to September.

In Africa, droughts in Botswana and surrounding countries gave rise to a food security crisis. "Following nearly three decades of low seasonal rainfall and a second consecutive year of failed rains, Angola and Namibia suffered one of the worst droughts of the past 30 years," the study reported. "An estimated 1.5 million people in southern Angola faced food insecurity, as did nearly 800,000 in Namibia."

For those in many Western societies, recent reports list three key influences on positive climate change-related behaviors -- such as food choices, efficient energy use, and low-carbon emission transportation. They are: awareness, moral responsibility, and threat perception. For example, a study of university students in Finland found, "habit and disbelief in the effects of food consumption on the climate were found to be the barriers.

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#44981 Mar 24, 2014
mememine69 wrote:
<quoted text>
Like all deniers, you try to keep going in a circular argument. No objective, only the perceived financial threat, which is just that "perceived" totally ignoring the physical threat that science warns of. When the carbon tax was introduced in Australia, it was just a blip on the economic radar for one month then back to normal, all the doomsday talk didn't eventuate. What you idiots demand is no different than demanding who will get skin cancer after over exposure in the sun. Some will get lucky and just get a tan, others not so much who might end up with a melanoma and die. Just as science cannot predict who will draw the short straw in that scenario. It can't promise that your house will be flooded, blown over, buried in snow or nothing will change. Global warming predicts that these events will happen somewhere and the frequency will increase while temps keep rising.
Now come to terms with that and deal with it, or keep your shirt off and sun bathe all summer smoking that big cigar with no protection. Your choice but do not expect others to follow your stupidity. Which is what deniers are about, expecting others to be stupid with you.
Big Willy

Gurnee, IL

#44982 Mar 24, 2014
SpaceBlues wrote:
<quoted text>Listen. I let you expose your stupidity for months because anyone can tell that I am not driving on the road or running power tools or operating a coal plant, or spilling oil in the ocean, or cutting down trees, etc when you are calling me names for my posts.
I sometimes use the Internet, a universal right. Use your own right to quit, LOL.
I suppose you ride a horse to collect your check, and I suppose your riding a bike customized to generate electricity to slang your gw bs online?
No way

Los Angeles, CA

#44983 Mar 24, 2014
Big Willy wrote:
<quoted text>
I suppose you ride a horse to collect your check, and I suppose your riding a bike customized to generate electricity to slang your gw bs online?
Whatever she is doing, my fossil fuel consumption and that of my 1 billion Chinese friends offset the benefits.

“Let's X Change!!”

Since: Feb 09

B4 HOPE Is Gone...

#44984 Mar 24, 2014
global warming studies are much like the irs & benghazi investigations......they're all predetermined!!!
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#44988 Mar 24, 2014
ritedownthemiddle wrote:
global warming studies are much like the irs & benghazi investigations......they're all predetermined!!!
More accurate to say like the Big Bang!

“Let's X Change!!”

B4 HOPE Is Gone...

#44989 Mar 24, 2014
charles in charge wrote:
I see.... as this country dumbs down its educational requirements, that'll only get worse.
We're doomed to be a third-world banana republic full of gun nuts, illiterates, military bozos, and TV-obsessed wackjobs.
Oh, wait, we're already there...
how do you think barry got elected? TWICE!!

“Let's X Change!!”

B4 HOPE Is Gone...

#44990 Mar 24, 2014
SpaceBlues wrote:
<quoted text>More accurate to say like the Big Bang!
funny you never point out solar variability in your kind of "science".....why start now?
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#44991 Mar 24, 2014
ritedownthemiddle wrote:
<quoted text>funny you never point out solar variability in your kind of "science".....why start now?
Spacetime!
litesong

Lynnwood, WA

#44992 Mar 24, 2014
[QUOTE who="little willy & braggin"]I suppose you ride a horse to collect your check...[/QUOTE]

Finally, a sweet sweet day of spring, temperatures starting out a bit low but blossoming to 68degF, here on the Salish Sea(Puget Sound), for a drive in one of the loveliest of river valleys. My car, of which, many complained couldn't give good mpg, took me to Snoqualmie Falls, the 2500 foot cliffs of Mt. Si, North Bend, the area for the TV series, Twin Peaks, & numerous peripheral regions. But unlike some slimy steenking toxic topix AGW deniers, who would pollute with 5 gallons of fuel used, I used a tidy 1.62 gallons.
Big Willy

Gurnee, IL

#44993 Mar 24, 2014
charles is an idiot wrote:
I see Denier idiots are still stinking up this debate. And as this country dumbs down its educational requirements, that'll only get worse.
We're doomed to be a third-world banana republic full of gun nuts, illiterates, military bozos, and TV-obsessed wackjobs.
Oh, wait, we're already there...
He drank the kool-aid
litesong

Lynnwood, WA

#44994 Mar 24, 2014
[QUOTE who="ratdownthemiddle ","middleofthedownwr onggully"]how do you think barry got elected? TWICE!![/QUOTE]

Told ya, already!

The decreasing percentage slimy steenking filthy vile reprobate rooting(& rotting) GOP racist pukey proud pigs couldn't get enough decreasing percentage slimy steenking filthy vile reprobate rooting(& rotting) GOP racist pukey proud pigs to vote against candidate & President Obama.
Blond California Girl

Fullerton, CA

#44995 Mar 24, 2014
I think they are using fossil fuels to smelt my old Prius batteries. Ewww.
litesong

Lynnwood, WA

#44996 Mar 24, 2014
Jose wrote:
CO2 is in our every breath, in the carbonated sodas.....
Copying "lyin' brian" don't get ya, nowhere.
litesong

Lynnwood, WA

#44997 Mar 24, 2014
blood caliph gerkin wrote:
I think they are using fossil fuels to smelt my old Prius batteries.
That's too bad, Prius batteries are good for 200,000 miles.

“Let's X Change!!”

B4 HOPE Is Gone...

#44998 Mar 24, 2014
litesong wrote:
<quoted text>
Told ya, already!
The decreasing percentage slimy steenking filthy vile reprobate rooting(& rotting) GOP racist pukey proud pigs couldn't get enough decreasing percentage slimy steenking filthy vile reprobate rooting(& rotting) GOP racist pukey proud pigs to vote against candidate & President Obama.
learn how to calculate a gallon of E10 and then get back to me after you take an econ 101 class, asshat.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jackson-Heights Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
HILLARY will be THE BEST PRESIDENT EVER 47 min DBWriter 3,304
Yankee talk back 4, or is it 5 (Aug '08) 1 hr Displaced Red Sox... 315,745
Add a word, Drop a word (Dec '09) 1 hr erer 11,203
Nassau/Suffolk High School Football (Nov '11) 1 hr Agreed 12,303
News NYPD officer shot; search continues for suspects 1 hr ky man 3
News New Yorkers rally to show support for Baltimore... 3 hr hangupanddrive 12
Poll Would you participate in a class action law sui... (Apr '13) May 1 Shondi test 67
More from around the web

Jackson-Heights People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]