Once slow-moving threat, global warmi...

Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds up, leaving litt...

There are 54342 comments on the Newsday story from Dec 14, 2008, titled Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds up, leaving litt.... In it, Newsday reports that:

When Bill Clinton took office in 1993, global warming was a slow-moving environmental problem that was easy to ignore.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

Mothra

Phoenix, AZ

#44145 Mar 11, 2014
SpaceBlues wrote:
<quoted text>Have you not noticed 'mothra' has "a problem being civil "on this thread/page?
You must be in its cult, too.
psst... when questioning one's "civility" it's counter-productive to use inflammatory rhetoric (eg, "cult") in your argument.
Mothra

Phoenix, AZ

#44146 Mar 11, 2014
SpaceBlues wrote:
These science deniers are desperate.. welcome to namecalling..
Yeah.. we all know "cult", and "denier" are terms of cvil debate.

You contradict yourself faster than litesong.

LOL

“In your head, rent free”

Since: May 11

Location hidden

#44147 Mar 11, 2014
SpaceBlues wrote:
<quoted text>Have you not noticed 'mothra' has "a problem being civil "on this thread/page?
You must be in its cult, too.
Not really.
According to scientists, global warming is melting the polar icecaps and glaciers and that would in turn raise the level of the oceans. Since none of the major low lying cities are underwater, I was just wondering what happened to all that water.

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#44148 Mar 11, 2014
Mothra wrote:
<quoted text>
psst... when questioning one's "civility" it's counter-productive to use inflammatory rhetoric (eg, "cult") in your argument.
Well perhaps you might like John Kerry's quote: "Climate Change is 'the world's most fearsome weapon of mass destruction" ,'The science is unequivocal, and those who refuse to believe it are simply burying their heads in the sand,' Kerry said.'We don't have time for a meeting anywhere of the Flat Earth Society,'

Maybe the mistake was climate change should have been called a WMD instead of global warming then you would be quite happy to do something about it.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-25609...
litesong

Lynnwood, WA

#44149 Mar 11, 2014
Stan wrote:
So much ignorance from such a small population
True. re-pubic-lick-uns are declining in numbers. & toxic topix AGW deniers stand on shorelines & get swept out to sea.
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#44150 Mar 11, 2014
Maverick 808 wrote:
<quoted text>Not really.
According to scientists, global warming is melting the polar icecaps and glaciers and that would in turn raise the level of the oceans. Since none of the major low lying cities are underwater, I was just wondering what happened to all that water.
You make up your own facts. Try to learn what happens under the modern man-made climate change.

Wikipedia: Two main factors contribute to observed sea level rise.[9] The first is thermal expansion: as ocean water warms, it expands.[10] The second is from the melting of major stores of land ice like glaciers and ice sheets.

Sea level rise is one of several lines of evidence that support the view that the climate has recently warmed.[11]
Mothra

Phoenix, AZ

#44151 Mar 11, 2014
OzRitz wrote:
<quoted text>
Well perhaps you might like John Kerry's quote: "Climate Change is 'the world's most fearsome weapon of mass destruction" ,'The science is unequivocal, and those who refuse to believe it are simply burying their heads in the sand,' Kerry said.'We don't have time for a meeting anywhere of the Flat Earth Society,'
Maybe the mistake was climate change should have been called a WMD instead of global warming then you would be quite happy to do something about it.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-25609...
Could you possibly be more irrelevant?

Don't answer. I suspect a post soon will demonstrate you can.

“In your head, rent free”

Since: May 11

Location hidden

#44152 Mar 11, 2014
SpaceBlues wrote:
<quoted text>You make up your own facts. Try to learn what happens under the modern man-made climate change.
Wikipedia: Two main factors contribute to observed sea level rise.[9] The first is thermal expansion: as ocean water warms, it expands.[10] The second is from the melting of major stores of land ice like glaciers and ice sheets.
Sea level rise is one of several lines of evidence that support the view that the climate has recently warmed.[11]
You claim wikipedia as a reliable source of information?
That's not a very good basis for your argument.

Elevation (height and depth) of the land is based on mean sea level. They study the tide at certain shorelines for a year and take an average based on that study and determine 0.00'.
Satellites are great at mapping however they are unreliable when it comes to height and depth due to the constant land movement of the Earth.

“In your head, rent free”

Since: May 11

Location hidden

#44153 Mar 11, 2014
OzRitz wrote:
<quoted text>
Well perhaps you might like John Kerry's quote: "Climate Change is 'the world's most fearsome weapon of mass destruction" ,'The science is unequivocal, and those who refuse to believe it are simply burying their heads in the sand,' Kerry said.'We don't have time for a meeting anywhere of the Flat Earth Society,'
Maybe the mistake was climate change should have been called a WMD instead of global warming then you would be quite happy to do something about it.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-25609...
You'd be better off arguing about the nuclear waste repository contaminating the ground.
denier

Gurnee, IL

#44154 Mar 11, 2014
litesong wrote:
<quoted text>
slimy steenking toxic topix AGW deniers keep reducing the quantity of the Arctic ice sheet from 60%, to 50% & now to 29%, & they still are wrong. You writing "harm on us"?
Arctic sea ice VOLUME, as of March 1, 2013 is 0.5% to 1% lower than that of the "2010-to-current" time range. Average Arctic sea ice VOLUME for March 1, for the period 1980-89, was ~28,200 cubic kilometers. Present March 1, 2013 sea ice VOLUME is ~20,800 cubic kilometers,~7400 cubic kilometers less than the 1980-89 period for March 1.
slimy steenking toxic topix AGW deniers are truly blind, often are slimy steenking filthy vile reprobate rooting(& rotting) racist pukey proud pigs & sometimes are alleged &/or proud threateners.
1.3 degrees in 200 years quit with the bs already you won't see another 30 do your part and be proud u did and while your at it come up with some new slang I know u can!
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#44155 Mar 11, 2014
Maverick 808 wrote:
<quoted text>You claim wikipedia as a reliable source of information?
That's not a very good basis for your argument.
Elevation (height and depth) of the land is based on mean sea level. They study the tide at certain shorelines for a year and take an average based on that study and determine 0.00'.
Satellites are great at mapping however they are unreliable when it comes to height and depth due to the constant land movement of the Earth.
I reviewed what I posted from the Wikipedia. It is correct. The numbers are the references. You can read the original material there.

[I fully support Wikipedia, even with donations. It is one of the best things about the Internet.]

You are merely shooting from the hip. Get real about the science.
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#44156 Mar 12, 2014
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>Global warming ..age.
You wanted man-made earthquakes..

YOUNGSTOWN -- A fifth minor earthquake has been recorded in an area of northeastern Ohio where state regulators have ordered a gas drilling company to halt operations.

The U.S. Geological Survey reported a 2.1 magnitude earthquake early Tuesday morning, about nine miles southeast of Youngstown. That same area experienced four minor earthquakes Monday.

The Ohio Department of Natural Resources has said there's nothing indicating that the earthquakes are connected to any injection wells.

The department on Monday asked the only oil and gas operator in the area to stop all work until it can test further.

An injection well used to hold wastewater from the fracking process has been tied in recent years to a series of earthquakes in the Youngstown area.

No property damage has been reported from the earthquakes.

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Since: Dec 08

Home, sweet home.

#44157 Mar 12, 2014
So, a state department overreacts; what else is new?

How about ANY experiment for climate change mitigation, find one yet?
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#44158 Mar 12, 2014
denier wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry no charts or graphs look it up yourself
But this has the globe..

http://www.nasa.gov/press/2014/march/long-ter...

A new NASA study shows Earth's climate likely will continue to warm during this century on track with previous estimates.

This research hinges on a new and more detailed calculation of the sensitivity of Earth's climate to the factors that cause it to change, such as greenhouse gas emissions. Earth is likely to experience roughly 20 percent more warming than estimates that were largely based on surface temperature observations during the past 150 years.

“Sharia, NOT!”

Since: Jul 10

Chesapeake, VA

#44159 Mar 12, 2014
SpaceBlues wrote:
<quoted text>Are you going to crash it, alarmist?
Read:..climate scientists specifically predicted a decade ago that Arctic ice loss would bring on worse droughts in the West — and California is now in the death-grip of a brutal, record-breaking drought, driven by the very change in the jet stream that scientists had anticipated.
But Holdren’s main point is the important one — quite separate from any changes in precipitation that climate change may cause, there is little dispute that human-caused climate change is worsening droughts in the West and Southwest. I recommend his entire paper to readers interested in this important subject.
http://thinkprogress.org/climate/2014/03/03/3...
So, spaceballs, what caused the Dust Bowl?
Hello?*crickets*

“Sharia, NOT!”

Since: Jul 10

Chesapeake, VA

#44160 Mar 12, 2014
SpaceBlues wrote:
<quoted text>I reviewed what I posted from the Wikipedia. It is correct. The numbers are the references. You can read the original material there.
[I fully support Wikipedia, even with donations. It is one of the best things about the Internet.]
You are merely shooting from the hip. Get real about the science.
Academia laughs at those that use and reference wikipedia.
Most professors give failing grades when it is cited as a source.

LOL

But you just keep using it, k?
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#44161 Mar 12, 2014
Socialism is for Sissies wrote:
<quoted text>So, spaceballs, what caused the Dust Bowl?
Hello?*crickets*
People.
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#44162 Mar 12, 2014
Brian_G wrote:
So, a state department overreacts; what else is new?
How about ANY experiment for climate change mitigation, find one yet?
What's your evidence? None.
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#44164 Mar 12, 2014
Socialism is for Sissies wrote:
<quoted text>Academia laughs at those that use and reference wikipedia.
Most professors give failing grades when it is cited as a source.
LOL
But you just keep using it, k?
Because you have no idea about the university rules, you are confusing some things like referencing Wikipedia and getting grades. The references in the Wikipedia are there to validate.

Sure, I quote here from Wikipedia.

"k?" What's that?

“Sharia, NOT!”

Since: Jul 10

Chesapeake, VA

#44165 Mar 12, 2014
SpaceBlues wrote:
<quoted text>
Because you have no idea about the university rules, you are confusing some things like referencing Wikipedia and getting grades. The references in the Wikipedia are there to validate.
Sure, I quote here from Wikipedia.
"k?" What's that?
Not sure what planet you are from but wikipedia IS NOT an accepted reference by academia because it is posted freely. Although references are cited the posts are NOT peer reviewed and as such are considered unreliable. Even the references can be made up or unreliable. Maybe this could be a stepping stone for though but should not be the basis of your debate.
Of course maybe your government granted "higher" education institution allows such. Real researchers use peer reviewed documentation which is why there is not laboratory documented proof that man has in FACT caused global warming. It is all speculation and theory. Theories are backed by documented evidence that can be repeated over and over again.

How did people cause the Dust Bowl?*crickets*

"k" is short for OK. K?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jackson-Heights Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 1 hr Brian_G 310,363
Add a word, Drop a word (Dec '09) 2 hr Princess Hey 12,177
Drop a Word, Add a Word (Jan '10) 2 hr Princess Hey 10,545
Time to go? 2 hr Patriot 2,548
How did Ben Carson overcome racism and poorness? 4 hr Question 1
Mets talkback (Dec '07) 4 hr Paul Yanks 36,420
Yankee talk back 4, or is it 5 (Aug '08) 4 hr Paul Yanks 319,390
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Jackson-Heights Mortgages