Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds up, leaving litt...

Full story: Newsday 49,174
When Bill Clinton took office in 1993, global warming was a slow-moving environmental problem that was easy to ignore. Full Story

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#35461 Apr 30, 2013
mememine69 wrote:
Climate change believers are cold hearted bullies who fear monger our children with their CO2 death threats all because science says their crisis only “MIGHT” happen because science has never said it WILL happen in 28 years. Even Bush didn’t threaten my kids like this. Who’s the neocon?
So how close to the brink will science take us before they say their crisis is as inevitable as they like to say asteroid hits are?
If you could just use your brain to decipher plain and simple logic rather than trying to discredit techno babble with more techno babble which is just diverting from the main point.

The main points are that the planet is still the same size it always was yet the ppl living on it have been growing and using its resources at a unprecedented rate. So much so that those same resources cannot be regenerated within a yearly cycle so its an ongoing negative impact. Just the same way as the financial collapse where growth was faked with debt. In other words company profits made off bad loans that would eventually be called on. We are doing exactly the same thing to the planet only this time there is NO BAILOUT. We land clear before new forests can regenerate, we dig out of the ground fossil fuels before there is a slightest chance of regeneration, we waste at an alarming rate, and we still demand clean water and clean air. So while this had no significant impact during the caveman times, with billions more living on the same planet now it DOES make a difference.
What is worse that even with that simple logic staring you in the face like a deer caught in the headlights you still refuse to acknowledge that it exists. It's too damn late when struggling farmers scratching to make a living as it is have their crops ruined year after year with extreme weather. Then tell us its all part of a natural cycle, its a freaking cycle we made and contributed too. Why can't you guys get that in your head!
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#35462 Apr 30, 2013
OzRitz wrote:
<quoted text>
If you could just use your brain to decipher plain and simple logic rather than trying to discredit techno babble with more techno babble which is just diverting from the main point.
The main points are that the planet is still the same size it always was yet the ppl living on it have been growing and using its resources at a unprecedented rate. So much so that those same resources cannot be regenerated within a yearly cycle so its an ongoing negative impact. Just the same way as the financial collapse where growth was faked with debt. In other words company profits made off bad loans that would eventually be called on. We are doing exactly the same thing to the planet only this time there is NO BAILOUT. We land clear before new forests can regenerate, we dig out of the ground fossil fuels before there is a slightest chance of regeneration, we waste at an alarming rate, and we still demand clean water and clean air. So while this had no significant impact during the caveman times, with billions more living on the same planet now it DOES make a difference.
What is worse that even with that simple logic staring you in the face like a deer caught in the headlights you still refuse to acknowledge that it exists. It's too damn late when struggling farmers scratching to make a living as it is have their crops ruined year after year with extreme weather. Then tell us its all part of a natural cycle, its a freaking cycle we made and contributed too. Why can't you guys get that in your head!
Excellent.

Thanks for telling it like it is. That poster mindlessly posts the same lies year after year. You can see those posts even six or seven years ago in these threads.
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

#35463 Apr 30, 2013
Libertarian gone south wrote:
<quoted text>
If there was a market for basements or shelters, meaning if people were willing to pay for them, developers would build them. Mandating them is just government interference with the free market.
I would like to see how that would work. I mean, do you think that the government would make you dig a basement at the point of a gun?

You guys have paranoid fantasies like I have fantasies of naked little Asian women.
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

#35464 Apr 30, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>I hope you enjoy living in the wetlands.
Showing your ignorance again.

I...LIVE...ON...THE...SIDE...O F...A...HILL.

I like wet. It's better than Phoenix dry. I'm not gonna run out of water.

I have clear, clean air, on which the scents of honeysuckle and wisteria are now wafting. I have bountiful sunshine and nourishing rain. My bed has lain under the full moon shining into my bedroom these past few nights, with only the crickets and tree frogs to disturb the silence. When the storms come, I watch the lightening shows and the rain coming off the drip line of my eve through huge picture windows.

A pair of red tailed hawks have taken up residence in the neighborhood, I've seen the magnificent male perched on that big dead oak and heard the calls of his mate back in the forest.

Where do you live, brain? In some crowded and noisy tenement in some polluted city?
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

#35465 Apr 30, 2013
litesong wrote:
<quoted text>
gcaveman1...... you know that toxic topix AGW deniers use any personal details to advance their egos. The details of your tragedies are used by deniers to twist themselves in knots.
Yes, they don't have a life.

I have life.
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

#35466 Apr 30, 2013
mememine69 wrote:
Climate change believers are cold hearted bullies who fear monger our children with their CO2 death threats all because science says their crisis only “MIGHT” happen because science has never said it WILL happen in 28 years. Even Bush didn’t threaten my kids like this. Who’s the neocon?
So how close to the brink will science take us before they say their crisis is as inevitable as they like to say asteroid hits are?
You are the one endangering your kids with your denial.
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

#35467 Apr 30, 2013
SpaceBlues wrote:
<quoted text> I'm hopeful that you and your community will have peace and progress.
You write so well; a book could help, too..:)
Thank you, Space, you are too kind.

My novel is in the works. My ass just needs to get with it.
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

#35468 Apr 30, 2013
SpaceBlues wrote:
<quoted text>Excellent.
Thanks for telling it like it is. That poster mindlessly posts the same lies year after year. You can see those posts even six or seven years ago in these threads.
Yes, I've had to remind him to update his 26 years...27 years....28 years.... He forgets; obviously doesn't keep track but only concentrates on vomiting the same tired "message".
litesong

Lynnwood, WA

#35469 Apr 30, 2013
SpaceBlues wrote:
If you are having trouble figuring out whether or not a certain area of your property is actually a wetland.....
http://www.ecy.wa.gov/programs/sea/pubs/90031...
Hey, I'm in Washington state. We got wetlands...... even down to the frogs croaking in the back 40.
litesong

Lynnwood, WA

#35470 Apr 30, 2013
gcaveman1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Showing your ignorance again.
I'm not gonna run out of water.
I have clear, clean air, on which the scents of honeysuckle and wisteria are now wafting. I have bountiful sunshine and nourishing rain. My bed has lain under the full moon shining into my bedroom....... crickets and tree frogs....... red tailed hawks
Where do you live, brain?
First,'lyin' brian' has no brain....... off-world relative (or genetic spawn) of dirtling, alias 'earthling has no brain', ya know.

We got what you got..... even the honeysuckle.
Not two redtails, tho.......two bald eagles. We had ospreys & redtails. But they nest far away, now that the eagles are here. Got views of 6000 foot mountains...... with 2500 foot, very steep cliffs in one of the newest wilderness areas....... the Wild Sky & one of the most entrancing wilderness areas...... the Alpine Lakes Wilderness.

Hey, try Google Earth. You can pilot yourself along the cliffs of Mt. Index & Mt. Baring. Fly between the buttresses of the north wall of Mt. Index. Meander through the ruggedness of Merchant Peak, Gunn Peak & Jump Off ridge. Of course, lots of other peaks, in the most wondrous Alpine Wilderness Area. Oh, yeah, the Monte Cristo Peaks are spectacular too.

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#35471 Apr 30, 2013
For those of you who still deny man's interference with the environment has no effect. Then watch this doco on PBS, the American dust bowl where greed and capitalism over reached. Then reflect on those same environmental questions you want to deny exists and ask are really being truthful with yourself!

The Invisible Man

Sanford, FL

#35472 May 1, 2013
testing.
Moved Around

Hopkinsville, KY

#35473 May 1, 2013
gcaveman1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I would like to see how that would work. I mean, do you think that the government would make you dig a basement at the point of a gun?
No. But cities, counties, etc. can and do enact building codes. I once lived in a town in the west that required that every new house built have a storm shelter. If you didn't build it, you did not get a building permit.
Moved Around

Hopkinsville, KY

#35474 May 1, 2013
You will never sell the idea of "Global Warming" in Coal country.

This from the Pineville, KY, Topix forum thread called "Our coal miners need JOBS!!!":

"Coal was meant to be mined ! Let them mine it ! Other countries are mining coal .if this was a worldwide campaign to stop coal then why just us ? The "green wind blowers" are making money from Obama then just drifting from town to town. Obama is going to weaken the American dollar so much it will take every dime a man has to buy bread. That is what is coming to . There isn't going to be a workforce to keep up this country much longer . Obama is will take our weapons , our energy , our economy then leave this country. I think he has set us up for the greatest fall in American History ! If you think Hillary Clinton is different -she is not ! Clinton sold out and her husband caused our banks to fall because of deregulation ! She said one that Obama had no experience she was right then she sold out . She seems brainwashed and Clinton he never told the truth did he ? Clinton is "the great embellisher" !"
litesong

Lynnwood, WA

#35475 May 1, 2013
bowel movement-re-pubic-lick-un wrote:
"Coal was meant to be mined...... Obama is will take our weapons , our energy , our economy ......Hillary Clinton sold out and her husband caused our banks to fall......
"bowel movement-re-pubic-lick-un " is so rabid, it licks its bowel movement. "bowel movement-re-pubic-lick-un " says, coal was 'MEANT TO BE MINED BY BLACK LUNG INFECTED COAL MINORS' AND the coal pollution spread to water sources, water tables, pristine mountain valleys, & tall smokestacks are supposed to spread the happy pollution to other states. Mine coal, send it to china(leaving a trail of coal dust & derailed coal cars throughout many other pristine mountain, valley, lake & sea environments) & then let the communist chinese(ALWAYS SMALL LETTERS) send coal-burning pollution into the Pacific Ocean & across America, where 10% of american pollution comes from communist china(ALWAYS SMALL LETTERS).

"bowel movement-re-pubic-lick-un " needs to remain on the pot to get rid of its pollutions, but that'll take a lifetime.

“fairtax.org”

Since: Dec 08

gauley bridge wv

#35476 May 1, 2013
Interesting graph.

climate4youGlobalTemperatures/ CentralEnglandairtemperaturesi nce1659

“Science not Conservatism”

Since: Jan 12

Progress, not Denial

#35478 May 1, 2013
Moved Around wrote:
You will never sell the idea of "Global Warming" in Coal country.
This from the Pineville, KY, Topix forum thread called "Our coal miners need JOBS!!!":
"Coal was meant to be mined ! Let them mine it ! Other countries are mining coal .if this was a worldwide campaign to stop coal then why just us ? The "green wind blowers" are making money from Obama then just drifting from town to town. Obama is going to weaken the American dollar so much it will take every dime a man has to buy bread. That is what is coming to . There isn't going to be a workforce to keep up this country much longer . Obama is will take our weapons , our energy , our economy then leave this country. I think he has set us up for the greatest fall in American History ! If you think Hillary Clinton is different -she is not ! Clinton sold out and her husband caused our banks to fall because of deregulation ! She said one that Obama had no experience she was right then she sold out . She seems brainwashed and Clinton he never told the truth did he ? Clinton is "the great embellisher" !"
Hatred is very American, and of course in coal country they're probably none too keen on a nee-gro in the White House either.
Retired Farmer

Kuttawa, KY

#35479 May 1, 2013
I am not a coal miner nor am I a supporter of coal, but you have to admit that coal's hold on the economy of the U.S.A. is enormous. Its political power in KY is even larger.

A Kentucky license plate:

http://www.plateshack.com/y2k/Kentucky2/ky201...

There is in fact ten times more coal being mined now than there was in 1960, but only a tenth as many miners are doing the work. Machines have replaced men, but you cannot convince most miners of that no mater what statistics you show them. That is because the coal companies, some of them foreign owned, have such a hold on their thinking through propaganda.
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

#35480 May 1, 2013
litesong wrote:
<quoted text>
First,'lyin' brian' has no brain....... off-world relative (or genetic spawn) of dirtling, alias 'earthling has no brain', ya know.
We got what you got..... even the honeysuckle.
Not two redtails, tho.......two bald eagles. We had ospreys & redtails. But they nest far away, now that the eagles are here. Got views of 6000 foot mountains...... with 2500 foot, very steep cliffs in one of the newest wilderness areas....... the Wild Sky & one of the most entrancing wilderness areas...... the Alpine Lakes Wilderness.
Hey, try Google Earth. You can pilot yourself along the cliffs of Mt. Index & Mt. Baring. Fly between the buttresses of the north wall of Mt. Index. Meander through the ruggedness of Merchant Peak, Gunn Peak & Jump Off ridge. Of course, lots of other peaks, in the most wondrous Alpine Wilderness Area. Oh, yeah, the Monte Cristo Peaks are spectacular too.
Sounds nice. I'll check it out.
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

#35481 May 1, 2013
Moved Around wrote:
<quoted text>
No. But cities, counties, etc. can and do enact building codes. I once lived in a town in the west that required that every new house built have a storm shelter. If you didn't build it, you did not get a building permit.
Building permits usually imply that you will comply with local and national codes. If you and like-minded people don't like them, get politicized and try to change them. Majority rules.

They must have had a reason for that local code. I understand that in Florida, they "force" people to greatly strengthen their new buildings. That's because building parts become missiles in hurricanes and if everyone builds stronger, there should be less destruction from the primary and secondary causes.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jackson-Heights Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
most hebrew israelites are still getting it all... 15 min Judahs daughter 78
Yankee talk back 4, or is it 5 (Aug '08) 1 hr Unbiased _Yankee Fan 311,515
OBAMA is the BEST PRESIDENT EVER (Nov '10) 1 hr Unbiased _Yankee Fan 16,592
Protesters to NYPD: We want dead cops 1 hr Younohoo 6
New York Post Calls Jay Z "Ex-Crack Dealer" In ... 1 hr Younohoo 4
Run,Run, Run, The Republicans are Coming! (Jan '11) 1 hr Younohoo 1,652
Reasons to cheer For President Obama One, Two..... (Apr '12) 2 hr Younohoo 748

Jackson-Heights News Video

Jackson-Heights Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Jackson-Heights People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Jackson-Heights News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Jackson-Heights

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 12:35 pm PST

ESPN12:35PM
Rolle wants to finish his career with Giants
ESPN 2:28 PM
Revis: Rex's shaky status with Jets is 'sad'
Bleacher Report 3:02 PM
Michael Vick Reportedly Has Paid off Almost Entire $17.8M Debt Owed to Creditors
NBC Sports 4:27 PM
Revis heads back to MetLife Stadium as Jets' enemy - NBC Sports
Bleacher Report 6:03 PM
New England Patriots vs. New York Jets Betting Odds, Analysis, NFL Pick