the petition drive just got heated up

Posted in the Iuka Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
tubby

Pontotoc, MS

#1 Dec 21, 2012
THE PETITION DRIVE JUST GOT HEATED UP!
A lot of people in Tishomingo County have not taken it as serious as the other folks are taking it. Today’s date is Friday December 21, 2012. A man called me and wanted to meet with me. He asked me if I could meet him at the Iuka Air-port and I told him “yes”, what time I should be there. I went out there and met him. When I got to the air-port there were two of them. We had some small talk and I told them let’s get down to business. I told them that I was pretty sure that I knew why there were here. One of them said ok, well just get to it. They told me if I would go to the courthouse and get all of the copies of the signatures and the copies that I have got of the signatures to vote Tishomingo County wet and give the petitions to them that I could have this briefcase right here. I asked them what was in the briefcase. They opened it up and showed me and told me that there was $25,000 thousand dollars in the suitcase if you will go to the courthouse and get all of the copies that you have of the petitions to vote Tishomingo County wet and the city of Iuka petitions too and guarantee us that you won’t do another petition drive in Tishomingo County or the city of Iuka, MS. I told them “thank you”, but I am not for sale.“I only need about 98 more signatures”, I told them. They told me they already knew that they had been keeping up with it. I asked them why they had waited so long to come to me with it then. They told me since things have been changed that they need to stop Tishomingo County from being wet. I asked them “why they didn’t won’t Tishomingo to go wet”? They told me that was a personal thing of theirs. I told them that the petition drive that I was doing is a personal thing to me too. The petition drive that I am doing is not for money. This is to benefit the young people that are coming on behind me. I told them that I turned 58 years on December 14 of this year. I have not got enough of life to worry about it. The young people that are coming on behind me and their children’s whole future lie on this. There are not but two reasons that ya’ll want me to drop this. I don’t believe that you would be willing to pay this kind of money because you are against the sale of alcohol. My personal opinion is that you are going to put a business in the city limits of Corinth, MS and you need the customers from Tishomingo County. Tishomingo County needs these tax dollars too. So there is no use in you contacting me or nobody else because I’m not going to drop it.
Hey

United States

#2 Dec 21, 2012
I think what they done to you is illegal. You should have called the good ole boys when you left and we could have come and got that briefcase. Haha
Ron J

Baldwyn, MS

#3 Dec 21, 2012
This isn't surprising, in fact it's the exact reason why this county is in such poor shape. The few with the money buy people off to keep things the way they want them, not what's good for the community.
adam

United States

#4 Dec 21, 2012
Tubby, I admire your drive and conviction. But I gotta be honest. I think I would have took the money, tish is going to vote dry my friend. This county has too many self rightious people in it.
I know you care for this county, but is it worth it, really? Think of all the good you could of done with that money for yourself.
Have you forgotten the casino deal, or proposal? Unemployment was a record high, and tish was right at the top, but what did tish do? Turned down the casinos that would have created so many jobs, with benifits and decent pay. Didnt want gambleing they said, it was wrong, evil, etc.
Then after the deal was withdrawn what happened?
They allowed bingo in, still gambleing, but with a few 'small' exceptions, like, hundreds of high paying jobs.
Tish will never change. I wish it would, but it will always be the corner of the state where stupidity rules.
adam

United States

#5 Dec 21, 2012
The reason I say tish will vote dry, if it ever cmes to a vote, is bc look at how long you have been trying to get sigs. Then look how quick corinth got their petetion on the ballot.
tubby

Holly Springs, MS

#6 Dec 21, 2012
adam wrote:
The reason I say tish will vote dry, if it ever cmes to a vote, is bc look at how long you have been trying to get sigs. Then look how quick corinth got their petetion on the ballot.
Let me answer this for you. For number one Corinth had about 35-50 people going around getting signatures. Number 2 the people in the city limits of corinth,ms realized just how much tax money that they were losing off of this. That is why they got their signatures as quick as they did. Number 3 the reason that it has took me so long is that i had 5 stores that let me leave the petitions in them when i started this. then the people got to telling them that they were not going to trade with them on the count of the petitions being in the store. it's hard for one man to get the signatures that i need. this is a one man petition drive, nobody is doing it but me. Charles "tubby' Aldridge

Since: Feb 12

Duluth, GA

#7 Dec 21, 2012
This town is stuck in fairy tale land, and until they realize that, they're just pissing their money away to other counties and states. Real intelligent.
adam

United States

#8 Dec 21, 2012
tubby wrote:
<quoted text> Let me answer this for you. For number one Corinth had about 35-50 people going around getting signatures. Number 2 the people in the city limits of corinth,ms realized just how much tax money that they were losing off of this. That is why they got their signatures as quick as they did. Number 3 the reason that it has took me so long is that i had 5 stores that let me leave the petitions in them when i started this. then the people got to telling them that they were not going to trade with them on the count of the petitions being in the store. it's hard for one man to get the signatures that i need. this is a one man petition drive, nobody is doing it but me. Charles "tubby' Aldridge
I understand that tubby, and Im not critizeing you, I admire what you are doing, and I agree with your effort. But you just named off the three main reasons why it wont pass.

I hope it does, and Im going to vote for it if it comes to a vote. Im just saying look around you, most people in tish county are happy with the way it is, they dont want to move forward, it scares them, they want to stay in their little sheltered world and continue drawing ssi and unemployment and go across state lines to get their drink. I know its stupid, but we are talking about tish county. People here cant think for themselves, they have to have the preacher or the cheif of police to do the thinking for them. and untl the people WANT to change, have the guts to change, it will never happen.
Ron J

Baldwyn, MS

#9 Dec 22, 2012
Adam, you mentioned the casino vote and I don't think that's a good indicator. Belmont sunk the Casinos because they were jealous that Iuka would have something, if you take away Belmont from that vote it would have passed.

Regardless of that though I agree that it will fail in the county. Prentiss county voted it down a while back and Alcorn County voted liquor down about 5 years ago. Those 2 counties are a little more progressive then this one so that doesn't bode well. I do think an Iuka only vote would have a real shot though, I hope it gets on the ballot eventually.
curious1

Holly Springs, MS

#10 Dec 22, 2012
Tubby, I know you say you are doing this for the younger generation and those coming up behind you. Have you thought about there's A LOT of the younger generation that are the one's that do not want to see our county go wet? I hear most of the middle aged and older generation talk about being for the sale of alcohol in our communities, but it's the younger ones of us that aren't signing your petition. I'm assuming at 25 I'm part of the generation you are referring to. I don't want tax money if it has to come at the expense of alcohol. I'm not stupid or blind. I know alcohol is already in every community in this county. I know that just because it's not sold here doesn't mean people don't drink here. I just do not want to have to walk into a store with my child and have to walk past beer displays or go into a gas station where somebody is buying their beer to go party. I don't want to try to have a family dinner out at a restaurant and have to worry about it being interrupted by a rowdy drunk. I don't draw a ssi check or unemployment as mentioned above. I don't drive to Alabama, Corinth, or TN to get booze to drink. I don't drink at all. I work at an honest job everyday to take care of my family. I don't live off government assistance. I'm not a regular church attender so the opinion of a preacher doesn't matter to me. I'm not "rubbing elbow" with any of the big wigs in our community. I'm just a regular working class citizen that hates the thought of our community turning to the sale of alcohol just to call it "progress."

Since: Feb 12

Duluth, GA

#11 Dec 22, 2012
curious1 wrote:
Tubby, I know you say you are doing this for the younger generation and those coming up behind you. Have you thought about there's A LOT of the younger generation that are the one's that do not want to see our county go wet? I hear most of the middle aged and older generation talk about being for the sale of alcohol in our communities, but it's the younger ones of us that aren't signing your petition. I'm assuming at 25 I'm part of the generation you are referring to. I don't want tax money if it has to come at the expense of alcohol. I'm not stupid or blind. I know alcohol is already in every community in this county. I know that just because it's not sold here doesn't mean people don't drink here. I just do not want to have to walk into a store with my child and have to walk past beer displays or go into a gas station where somebody is buying their beer to go party. I don't want to try to have a family dinner out at a restaurant and have to worry about it being interrupted by a rowdy drunk. I don't draw a ssi check or unemployment as mentioned above. I don't drive to Alabama, Corinth, or TN to get booze to drink. I don't drink at all. I work at an honest job everyday to take care of my family. I don't live off government assistance. I'm not a regular church attender so the opinion of a preacher doesn't matter to me. I'm not "rubbing elbow" with any of the big wigs in our community. I'm just a regular working class citizen that hates the thought of our community turning to the sale of alcohol just to call it "progress."
I'm 28 and I am for it. If you don't like those restaurants, don't go to them. Show your disapproval by not doing business there, but to let your counties tax dollars go to another county and state is just not intelligent at all.

Since you don't like all those stores that sell beer, do you avoid all gas stations and stores that sell it when you leave Tish county? There is nothing wrong with alcohol, and people who consume it. Rowdy drunks in restaurants??? Really, I believe you need to get out more often. I've traveled all over the country, and the only rowdy drunks I've ever seen have been in bars, and they're rare. I may have seen one rowdy drunk in a restaurant, but I really don't remember it.
...

United States

#12 Dec 22, 2012
curious1 wrote:
Tubby, I know you say you are doing this for the younger generation and those coming up behind you. Have you thought about there's A LOT of the younger generation that are the one's that do not want to see our county go wet? I hear most of the middle aged and older generation talk about being for the sale of alcohol in our communities, but it's the younger ones of us that aren't signing your petition. I'm assuming at 25 I'm part of the generation you are referring to. I don't want tax money if it has to come at the expense of alcohol. I'm not stupid or blind. I know alcohol is already in every community in this county. I know that just because it's not sold here doesn't mean people don't drink here. I just do not want to have to walk into a store with my child and have to walk past beer displays or go into a gas station where somebody is buying their beer to go party. I don't want to try to have a family dinner out at a restaurant and have to worry about it being interrupted by a rowdy drunk. I don't draw a ssi check or unemployment as mentioned above. I don't drive to Alabama, Corinth, or TN to get booze to drink. I don't drink at all. I work at an honest job everyday to take care of my family. I don't live off government assistance. I'm not a regular church attender so the opinion of a preacher doesn't matter to me. I'm not "rubbing elbow" with any of the big wigs in our community. I'm just a regular working class citizen that hates the thought of our community turning to the sale of alcohol just to call it "progress."
Same here!!! I'm 24! Very well spoken!!

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#13 Dec 22, 2012
tubby wrote:
THE PETITION DRIVE JUST GOT HEATED UP!
A lot of people in Tishomingo County have not taken it as serious as the other folks are taking it. Today’s date is Friday December 21, 2012. A man called me and wanted to meet with me. He asked me if I could meet him at the Iuka Air-port and I told him “yes”, what time I should be there. I went out there and met him. When I got to the air-port there were two of them. We had some small talk and I told them let’s get down to business. I told them that I was pretty sure that I knew why there were here. One of them said ok, well just get to it. They told me if I would go to the courthouse and get all of the copies of the signatures and the copies that I have got of the signatures to vote Tishomingo County wet and give the petitions to them that I could have this briefcase right here. I asked them what was in the briefcase. They opened it up and showed me and told me that there was $25,000 thousand dollars in the suitcase if you will go to the courthouse and get all of the copies that you have of the petitions to vote Tishomingo County wet and the city of Iuka petitions too and guarantee us that you won’t do another petition drive in Tishomingo County or the city of Iuka, MS. I told them “thank you”, but I am not for sale.“I only need about 98 more signatures”, I told them. They told me they already knew that they had been keeping up with it. I asked them why they had waited so long to come to me with it then. They told me since things have been changed that they need to stop Tishomingo County from being wet. I asked them “why they didn’t won’t Tishomingo to go wet”? They told me that was a personal thing of theirs. I told them that the petition drive that I was doing is a personal thing to me too. The petition drive that I am doing is not for money. This is to benefit the young people that are coming on behind me. I told them that I turned 58 years on December 14 of this year. I have not got enough of life to worry about it. The young people that are coming on behind me and their children’s whole future lie on this. There are not but two reasons that ya’ll want me to drop this. I don’t believe that you would be willing to pay this kind of money because you are against the sale of alcohol. My personal opinion is that you are going to put a business in the city limits of Corinth, MS and you need the customers from Tishomingo County. Tishomingo County needs these tax dollars too. So there is no use in you contacting me or nobody else because I’m not going to drop it.
I'm calling bullish!t
curious1

Holly Springs, MS

#14 Dec 23, 2012
WRIGHTRACING wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm 28 and I am for it. If you don't like those restaurants, don't go to them. Show your disapproval by not doing business there, but to let your counties tax dollars go to another county and state is just not intelligent at all.
Since you don't like all those stores that sell beer, do you avoid all gas stations and stores that sell it when you leave Tish county? There is nothing wrong with alcohol, and people who consume it. Rowdy drunks in restaurants??? Really, I believe you need to get out more often. I've traveled all over the country, and the only rowdy drunks I've ever seen have been in bars, and they're rare. I may have seen one rowdy drunk in a restaurant, but I really don't remember it.
I agree with you. There's nothing wrong with alcohol in moderation and I don't think everyone who consumes it is a bad person. And yes, you are right. If the county goes wet then I can just avoid restaurants with my child that sell it. And it's not just about rowdy drunks. It's about not wanting to have to sit and eat where everyone around us is drinking. Just like I avoid restaurants that allow smoking inside. Why shouldn't I be able to have a sit down family dinner in an restaurant in my hometown without having to see everyone around drinking? Iuka just tried to increase tax revenue by 1% on restaurants that seat 25 or more. That was quickly voted down. I'm not against paying a little more at a restaurant to help increase tax money in our community. We already pay it in Tupelo but people don't say anything about their extra 1% going to their city. When you want to eat there you just load up and go and pay your bill without complaint. But when it comes to doing the same in your hometown, people are suddenly against it. Or even the 9% tax rate in Alabama. When folks want to go shopping they hit the road for Florence and don't seem to mind that extra tax that we don't have here. It's not just those of us against the alcohol sales that are against "progress" as so many like to call it. When an opportunity for progress arises that doesn't involve alcohol there's still someone to shoot it down. Obviously, there are always going to be people for and against anything that comes about. I just happen to be someone against alcohol sales for our county or the city of Iuka. I don't understand the people that say our county is in such bad shape or it's a horrible place to live. If it was such the miserable place that people try to make it out to be, why don't folks pack up and leave?

Since: Feb 12

Duluth, GA

#15 Dec 23, 2012
It is terrible. You just mentioned people traveling to Tupelo and the Shoals. Why? Because they have more going on there. You know what else they got? Money, from the sales of Alcohol. You know what happens on Sunday when these towns don't sell alcohol, because of another DA law, they go to TN and buy it there and give them the sales and tax money. So what is it about sitting in a restaurant and seeing someone drinking that bothers you so bad? If a person is sitting at a table and minding their own business eating dinner, and drinking a beer instead of coke. So long as you mind your own business, and pay attention to your family...you'll never know the difference.
Yesyesyes

United States

#16 Dec 23, 2012
You're right. They do have money. I go to florence and all my friends there have money....here in iuka my friends are broke. This is the truth.
Ron J

Rienzi, MS

#17 Dec 23, 2012
Beer is usually poured into a glass in a restaurant, it's not like people are slamming cans and bottles.
curious1

Holly Springs, MS

#18 Dec 25, 2012
You missed my point about traveling out of town to do things....Nobody seems to gripe about the higher state taxes or the extra tax at a restaurant. What's wrong with keeping our county part of "small town USA?" If people want all the so called "luxuries" of the bigger towns surrounding us, wouldn't it be just as easy to just move there instead of trying to turn us into a "big town"? I just don't like that Tubby uses the excuse he wants to bring alcohol sales to the county for the sake of the younger generation, when not all of the younger generation wants it. Neither of us are going to be able to change the other person's mind and that is fine. That's the beauty of this great land, folks can just agree to disagree :)

Since: Feb 12

Duluth, GA

#19 Dec 25, 2012
curious1 wrote:
You missed my point about traveling out of town to do things....Nobody seems to gripe about the higher state taxes or the extra tax at a restaurant. What's wrong with keeping our county part of "small town USA?" If people want all the so called "luxuries" of the bigger towns surrounding us, wouldn't it be just as easy to just move there instead of trying to turn us into a "big town"? I just don't like that Tubby uses the excuse he wants to bring alcohol sales to the county for the sake of the younger generation, when not all of the younger generation wants it. Neither of us are going to be able to change the other person's mind and that is fine. That's the beauty of this great land, folks can just agree to disagree :)
Those people don't wanna move, because this is their small town. But they also wanna see it improve. Want to see more jobs, and want to have more money for the schools(to help the younger generation as Tubby mentions). It also brings in money for improving the roads(cause we all know how terrible our roads are around here). Businesses don't want to move here either because of it. You'll never get an Olive Garden, or any other big franchise restaurant to come in here, because they can't sell alcohol. And without those businesses, more and more people go without jobs. Tish counties Unenployment rate is higher than the national average by about 2-2.5%
TUBBY

Tupelo, MS

#20 Dec 25, 2012
THIS IS TO THE PEOPLE OF TISHOMINGO COUNTY
That has don sign the petition to get Tishomingo county to the poles to be vote on to see if it will go wet are stay dry? If you are one of these people that has don sign the petition. I wont to thank you for your signatrue.now I need you to go out and talk to more people and ask them what do they thank a bout the petition to vote Tishomingo county wet for the sale of alcohol, I thank if people will start talking more about the petition it would puck up and more people would sign it. If you would like for me to mail you a petition to sign are to try to get some more people to sign just send me your address my address is Charles tubby Aldridge 1899 Indian Creek Rd Iuka ms 38852

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Iuka Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Chloe Cecil and Hunter Aldridge 12 min bishhh 1
Chloe Cecil & Zoei Cox 47 min Braden 3
Who are the prettiest freshman 54 min penguin 3
Austin Creasy&&Zoei Cox 4 hr A guy 5
picket city hall 4 hr poor cry baby 21
calli howie 5 hr the guy 10
People shut up 6 hr Mee 1
More from around the web

Iuka People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]