the talk i had with the lady at jacks...

the talk i had with the lady at jacks over the peyitions

Posted in the Iuka Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
tubby

Brooklyn, MS

#1 Oct 31, 2012
THE TALK I HAD WITH THE LADY AT JACK’S OVER THE PETITION FOR TISHOMINGO COUNTY
I received a phone call on October 31, 2012. It was a lady on the other end of the phone asking me if I could meet her at Jack’s and have dinner together. I told her that “yes”, I could. I also asked her what this concerned. She told me she would rather discuss it face to face and I told her I would meet her for dinner. She asked me what kind of vehicle that I would be driving and I told her I would meet her for dinner at Jack’s. She told me she would call me when she got to Jack’s. She told me she would be standing at the front door waiting for me to pull in. I met with this lady and had a little small talk with her over our dinner. I asked her what this was all about. She told me she wanted to discuss the petition deal with Tishomingo County and the petition that I have going on with the city of Iuka. She asked me how the petitions were looking. I told her that the county petition was looking very good and that I only needed 152 more signatures on the county. I also told her that I took 22 more signatures to the courthouse on Monday October 29, 2012. She asked me if I thought that they were all good. I responded with “Yes, because I got all of them from back out of the newspaper through the mail.” I informed her that most of the time all the ones I receive through the mail are good but that every now and then I do receive duplicates, which means the person has signed more than once. She then asked me if I thought I would get the signatures I needed to get it to a vote. I explained to her that I would get them someday because I have no deadline on this. She asked me what I meant by that. I told her that I have until I die to get these signatures in. I told her that I hope I do not pass any time soon. She told me that one day I would get there and I informed her that I would. She told me that she would just get to the point on why she met me here. She asked me how much it would cost for me to drop these petitions. I asked her. She asked me how much money it would cost for me to stop the petitions. I asked her if she could put a price on our younger generation’s future. She asked me what do I mean by a price on the younger generation’s future. I told her that I will be 58 years old on December 14, 2012. I have already lived my life, but the younger people coming on behind me have got their life to live. Look around Tishomingo County, what have our young people have to look forward to? She told me it looked pretty dim around here to her. I told her it did to me too. I asked her where she was from but she told me she would rather not say. I asked her if her town or county had anything to do she responded they had plenty of things to do. I told her that was exactly what I am trying to get here for Tishomingo County for our young youth to do. She asked me what it would costs for me to drop this. I told her that from the day I started this until now it is not about money. For me it has always been about the young people’s future in Tishomingo County for me. I told her that there is no price on this. In other word’s I am not for sale. I will either see this go to the polls and be voted on or I will die trying. I told her that I did not know if you are the one behind this, or if someone sent you here. If you are not the one behind it then you go back and tell however sent you that there is no price tag on this petition drive. I do appreciate the offer though.
Mr G

United States

#2 Oct 31, 2012
Somebody actually offered to pay you to quit pursuing this? That is incredible. The zealots that are opposed to legalized alcohol sales never cease to amaze me.

All I can say I hope that the issue eventually goes on the ballot for the voters to decide. Hopefully, everyone that signed the petition will show up at the polls and vote to legalize alcohol sales. Then maybe Tishomingo County can make steps to join the rest of the 21st century. There is absolutely no reason whatsoever that alcohol sales should be illegal anywhere in this day and time.
comeon

United States

#3 Oct 31, 2012
Well tubby. I do not believe that alcohol in our county will help the young people at all. That just leads to accidents. That's just my opinion though.
Elrod USA

Ridgeland, MS

#4 Oct 31, 2012
comeon wrote:
Well tubby. I do not believe that alcohol in our county will help the young people at all. That just leads to accidents. That's just my opinion though.
Alcohol is in our county, thats not what the petition is for. It's to keep money in our county and also over time will create jobs. That will help our young people. As for as accidents i think it would not lead to more but probably less because if you can buy it here local there would be less time on the roads. That's just my opinion. Everyone in Tishomingo county that wants alcohol is getting it now , it is totally foolish to think selling it here would make someone start drinking .
tyry

United States

#5 Oct 31, 2012
comeon wrote:
Agree witcha
Resident

Orlando, FL

#6 Nov 1, 2012
comeon wrote:
I don't think the direct sales of alcohol will help your people, but indirectly it could. Extra tax monies would have to be appropriated for youth benefits.
I was a young person in Iuka, and now I have children in Iuka. In the past forty years activities for kids has not improved but diminished. At least when I was a teenager Iuka had a skating rink!
Will it help? Who knows! But I know repeating the history of the past 40-50 years is not the answer.
Itsme

Saltillo, MS

#7 Nov 1, 2012
I could give my signature as a registered voter in tishomingo county. I'm not really a drinker, but i dont have anything against it. dont think people should abuse it tho. I get so mad at the doctors and pharmaceutical companies too. I've seen so many people go down from prescription medication. Answer me this. How is giving my signature going to help me?
Mr G

United States

#8 Nov 1, 2012
Itsme wrote:
I could give my signature as a registered voter in tishomingo county. I'm not really a drinker, but i dont have anything against it. dont think people should abuse it tho. I get so mad at the doctors and pharmaceutical companies too. I've seen so many people go down from prescription medication. Answer me this. How is giving my signature going to help me?
Legalized alcohol sales will give the county a financial boost that it desperately needs. As you said people are going to drink in Tishomingo County regardless of whether the sale of alcohol is legalized or not. The only thing that will change is the sales tax money that is currently going to Alcorn County, Tennessee, and Alabama will be collected by our county instead.

I also believe that this will benefit area businesses. Many people visiting Pickwick from Memphis and elsewhere want beer with their meals. Perhaps if restaurants were able to serve beer here we could attract more of those people to eat in Iuka. Grocery stores and convenience stations could stock beer. When people eat, buy groceries, and otherwise spend their money here, that's sales tax for the county and that is business for someone locally.

Many of the social ills caused by alcohol are the result of people abusing it. However, legalizing the sale of alcohol here is not going to make that problem any worse. Like anything under the sun, moderation is key and it's up to the person. I've seen many morbidly obese people waddling around here, but yet we allow fast food to be sold. Alcohol is no different really. If you consume it in moderation, it is fine and even beneficial in some cases (general heart health, prostate health, etc.). Abuse it and alcohol can and will ruin you.

Honestly, and I think this is key for me, I don't like being told what I can and cannot buy. The federal government has legalized the sale of alcohol, and that is enough for me. I live in a country where I can be drafted to war if need be, where I can enter the military at age seventeen, and where I can buy a handgun with no questions asked. It is ridiculous that I cannot go out and purchase beer anywhere in this country.

So there is my reasoning for you. Hopefully, it's enough to sway you to sign the petition. If not then I accept that as well. Personally, I think this is long overdue for a vote.
Mr G

United States

#9 Nov 1, 2012
Also, here are a few helpful links that have some information that may surprise you.

Included is a study undertaken in Kentucky that compared 39,000 alcohol-related accidents and found a higher number of residents of dry counties were involved in these accidents.

http://www2.potsdam.edu/hansondj/InTheNews/Dr...

http://www2.potsdam.edu/hansondj/DrivingIssue...

http://www2.potsdam.edu/hansondj/InTheNews/Et...

The linked information comes from the State University of New York at Potsdam's Sociology Department. The site also has other interesting facts to consider.
Resident

Booneville, MS

#10 Nov 1, 2012
Two excellent post, Mr. G. Well written, coherent thoughts and backed by facts. Great post.
tubby

Pearl, MS

#11 Nov 1, 2012
Resident wrote:
Two excellent post, Mr. G. Well written, coherent thoughts and backed by facts. Great post.
thank you very much for this
tubby

Jackson, MS

#12 Nov 2, 2012
I HAVE TALKING TO A LOOT OF PEOPLE ABOUT THE LADY THAT I MEET AT JACK THAY THANK THIS WAS JUST A JOCK? IF IT WAS I DON’T THANK IT IS FUNNY AT ALL. THE TALK I HAD WITH THE LADY AT JACK’S OVER THE PETITION FOR TISHOMINGO COUNTY
I received a phone call on October 31, 2012. It was a lady on the other end of the phone asking me if I could meet her at Jack’s and have dinner together. I told her that “yes”, I could. I also asked her what this concerned. She told me she would rather discuss it face to face and I told her I would meet her for dinner. She asked me what kind of vehicle that I would be driving and I told her I would meet her for dinner at Jack’s. She told me she would call me when she got to Jack’s. She told me she would be standing at the front door waiting for me to pull in. I met with this lady and had a little small talk with her over our dinner. I asked her what this was all about. She told me she wanted to discuss the petition deal with Tishomingo County and the petition that I have going on with the city of Iuka. She asked me how the petitions were looking. I told her that the county petition was looking very good and that I only needed 152 more signatures on the county. I also told her that I took 22 more signatures to the courthouse on Monday October 29, 2012. She asked me if I thought that they were all good. I responded with “Yes, because I got all of them from back out of the newspaper through the mail.” I informed her that most of the time all the ones I receive through the mail are good but that every now and then I do receive duplicates, which means the person has signed more than once. She then asked me if I thought I would get the signatures I needed to get it to a vote. I explained to her that I would get them someday because I have no deadline on this. She asked me what I meant by that. I told her that I have until I die to get these signatures in. I told her that I hope I do not pass any time soon. She told me that one day I would get there and I informed her that I would. She told me that she would just get to the point on why she met me here. She asked me how much it would cost for me to drop these petitions. I asked her. She asked me how much money it would cost for me to stop the petitions. I asked her if she could put a price on our younger generation’s future. She asked me what do I mean by a price on the younger generation’s future. I told her that I will be 58 years old on December 14, 2012. I have already lived my life, but the younger people coming on behind me have got their life to live. Look around Tishomingo County, what have our young people have to look forward to? She told me it looked pretty dim around here to her. I told her it did to me too. I asked her where she was from but she told me she would rather not say. I asked her if her town or county had anything to do she responded they had plenty of things to do. I told her that was exactly what I am trying to get here for Tishomingo County for our young youth to do. She asked me what it would costs for me to drop this. I told her that from the day I started this until now it is not about money. For me it has always been about the young people’s future in Tishomingo County for me. I told her that there is no price on this. In other word’s I am not for sale. I will either see this go to the polls and be voted on or I will die trying. I told her that I did not know if you are the one behind this, or if someone sent you here. If you are not the one behind it then you go back and tell however sent you that there is no price tag on this petition drive. I do appreciate the offer though.
I wonder....

Charleston, MS

#13 Nov 2, 2012
Do you think this lady may be the owner or friends with the owner of a liquor store in a nearby county. Maybe she is afraid that her business would be in danger if Tish went wet.
tubby wrote:
I HAVE TALKING TO A LOOT OF PEOPLE ABOUT THE LADY THAT I MEET AT JACK THAY THANK THIS WAS JUST A JOCK? IF IT WAS I DON’T THANK IT IS FUNNY AT ALL. THE TALK I HAD WITH THE LADY AT JACK’S OVER THE PETITION FOR TISHOMINGO COUNTY
tubby

Hattiesburg, MS

#14 Nov 3, 2012
[QUOTE who="I wonder...."]Do you think this lady may be the owner or friends with the owner of a liquor store in a nearby county. Maybe she is afraid that her business would be in danger if Tish went wet.
<quoted text>
[/QUOTE]i have thout about that
tubby

Brooklyn, MS

#15 Nov 3, 2012
I said in the last week’s paper that I would not put the petition back in the paper for a while to vote Tishomingo County wet. After I meet with this lady last week at jack and she ask me what it would take to get me to stop these petitions. I dsided that I need to put it back in the paper a gin to let here know are to let who every sent here to me know that I am not for sale. And I am not going to stop till I get to go to the poles and vote on this. I have talk to a lot of people a bout this the most of them thank that this was just a joke if it was a joke I don’t thank it is very funny at all. The petition will be in the Tishomingo county news paper this Thursday November 8/ 2012
Education

Booneville, MS

#16 Nov 4, 2012
I wish some people would put this much effort into education, and then maybe the town/county/state and the whole damn country would be better off ....
true

United States

#17 Nov 4, 2012
Education wrote:
I wish some people would put this much effort into education, and then maybe the town/county/state and the whole damn country would be better off ....
Agree. We should start worrying about important things such as education rather than this.
Mr G

United States

#18 Nov 4, 2012
true wrote:
<quoted text>
Agree. We should start worrying about important things such as education rather than this.
The dismal state of education does need to be addressed, but this issue needs a vote. It's not fair to discount what Tubby is trying to accomplish by saying there are more important issues. Of course there are more important issues. If the state of education is more important to you than this, then why don't you champion some sort of petition or action that is education related?

I'll just keep an eye out for that.
tubby

Madison, MS

#19 Nov 4, 2012
I said in last week’s paper that I would not put the petition back in the paper for a while to vote Tishomingo County wet. After I met with this lady last week at Jacks and she asked me what it would take to get me to stop these petitions. I decided that I needed to put it back in the paper again to let her know or to let who every sent here to me know that I am not for sale. I am not going to stop until I get to go to the polls and vote on this. I have talked to a lot of people about this most of them thank that this was just a joke if it was a joke I don’t think it is very funny at all. The petition to vote Tishomingo county wet will be in the paper Thursday November 8/2012
Resident

Booneville, MS

#20 Nov 4, 2012
true wrote:
<quoted text>
I grew up in Iuka, moved away and now live here again. Despite where I have lived, I've always kept abreast of MS politics which includes education. The prevailing answer is money, more money, and did I mention more money? I'm sick of hearing more money will cure all ills of MS public education! If this worked so well, MS would be first instead of last. Our state Sup of Ed was the highest paid,.65 cents of every tax dollar goes to education and we remain the lowest ranked of the USA.

I drove by the county's Sup of Ed office yesterday. Guess what? They're getting bigger. Not enough room for someone to have an assistant to the 2nd assistant? What job title did we invent this time? You can bet every dollar spent on administration, buildings, etc. is NOT going to the classroom.

Lastly, if you so concerned about education, do something! Tubby's petition will actually get you more money to throw at education. That seems to always fix it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Iuka Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Angel Wiginton 9 hr Pimp 6
michael horton Wed truth 2
Why the cheating Dec 6 Hilarious 58
Inbreds Dec 6 Scaredmf 6
Colin Wright Dec 6 Why yo texting 30
Pos Dec 6 Whodidit 4
Trash Dec 4 Bully 2

Iuka Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance