Mourners of police shooting victim Shawn Greenwood fill Ithaca church

Mar 2, 2010 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: PressConnects.com

On and on the mourners came -- men and women, young and old -- filing into St. James AME Zion Church and shuffling past the casket of Shawn Greenwood, who was shot and killed by an Ithaca Police Department narcotics investigator last week.

Comments
1 - 20 of 23 Comments Last updated Dec 3, 2011
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Cheesehead

Tully, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 4, 2010

Judged:

If you are stupid enough to try to assult a police officer then you are dead enough to suffer the consequensis. Good job Ithaca Police Department, the jerk got just what he deservice. I am not an anarchist and if you intend to hurt a police office, then you deserve to do the time.
One more jerk off the street.
Offthestreet

Tully, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 4, 2010

Judged:

It seems to me black commit crimes against the blacks. Deal drugs to other blacks, shoot other blacks. I would seem to me the black community would be happy to have this creep out of their neighborhood and sleep a little safer a night. Too bad the parents were not able to instill better values in the son, that is where the failure lies and that is the reason the police offer was put in a position of life and death. Glad he was killed. Good job Ithaca police.
alert

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 7, 2010

Judged:

Too bad the above comments reveal a sad lack of education not only in spelling, but in also spirit.
Since when do we, as a society in 2010, think "killing" or "being killed" is a good thing? I am so very tired of people using labels.
Both of your comments disgust me.
I grew up in Ithaca, am highly educated, and white.
If you want to make the discussion about drugs, then let's talk about it honestly.
Turn your eyes to the hills of Ithaca and there you will find the real drug problem. Both campuses deal, use, and support the drug cartels. Just ask the FBI. This was true 30 years ago and its true today.
Unfortunately, what was also true 30 years ago, apparently still exists today -small minded, uneducated bigots.
Cheesehead and Offthestreet, whatever the "truth" really is, it is definitely NOT your simplistic, hate filled theories.
Be thankful everyday that you have not been tried and convicted by the same bigotry you extend to others. Otherwise, we'd have "two more jerks off the street", wouldn't we?
rightwing

Schenectady, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 9, 2010

Judged:

The only thing disgusting me here is reffering to him as a victim. When you do what this man did you have to be willing to suffer the ultimate consequence and you do not deserve in any way to be labeled a victom. He was a victim of his own actions.

Good Job IPD.
mike sternberg

Watertown, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 13, 2010

Judged:

When do we think in 2010 it is a good thing when person is killed you ask? I will help you out with examples. It is a good thing when a drag on our community is excised. Mr. Greenwood was a convicted criminal with a previous history of violent confrontation with the police. His own actions caused his death and it was no loss to the community. It is the same thing when a unarmed drone kills a terrorist. That similar action It is justified. You can be upset all you want if your pro criminal and all but the police have the right to use deadly force. Check out the first 10 articles of the NYS criminal justice code the use of deadly force is covered. Your factually incorrect if you think this shooting was unjustified. Good riddance to bad rubbish I say.
alert

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 13, 2010

Judged:

Thanks, Mike for your tutorial in criminal justice. No doubt if either of us had actually witnessed the event in question we might have a truer picture of what occurred. Unfortunately, you were not standing there and neither was I. I do not argue the point that an innocent officer from Dryden should not have been run over in an attempt to flee being served a warrant.
I'm just saying there are reasons why people panic and it doesn't always deserve death. Deadly force can and may be used but you are not the judge and jury of this one Mike.
You perpetuate the ridiculous small mindedness of rural, low income, backyardigans. Never once did I state it was unjustified, that I condemn the officers, or in fact that they acted wrongly. But before you whip out your gun toting holster ready to shoot down anyone with a criminal history, you best do a search of your own name and see what it brings up.
Time to hush up Mike.
mike sternberg

Watertown, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 13, 2010

Judged:

Your such a bigot and completely wrong as well. 1. I am from Tucson Az and am the farthest thing from a rural stereotype. I grew up a Jew in a very diverse mostly Hispanic area. I joined the Us Army at age 17 during high school and served in the Us Army Res. for 10 years with many people of color. Many of my extended family are bi-racial. I have multiple college degrees including a baccalaureate degree from SUNY Cortland. I have no criminal convictions. It is not racism to be anti criminal and pro police. Nice try playing the race card but you are CLEARLY the bigot here.
mike sternberg

Watertown, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 13, 2010

Judged:

I would also point out that to me, as a person from a real city I actually think of Ithaca as a tiny backwoods trailer park pretending that the Cornell college somehow makes it a mini San Fran Cisco Your pretentiousness is amusing to me "alert" but it really is unwarranted. As for your prejudice against a rural population that really is more about you propping up your own feelings of smug superiority isnít it? Not that it matters right? The officers will be exonerated and all your anger will not change that.
walkerny

Utica, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 26, 2010

Judged:

I love how Ithaca Liberals weep for criminals.... funny how the ones that can afford it live up the hills or in lansing...far away from their "brothers"
My2Cents

Canastota, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 13, 2010

Judged:

Race, race, race, race, race. That's all most of the people can focus on with regard to this case. However, a CONVICTED FELON, who was part of a multi-agency drug investigation, was shot because he attempted to flee police. In doing so, he hit one officer and almost ran over another. The fact is that this individual had a history of fleeing police AND carrying a weapon.

A police officer made a prudent judgment call, something that he is required and expected to do as part of his service and duty to the community. But, instead of supporting him, we have morons supporting the convicted felon, because of the color of his skin.

It makes me sick that someone affiliated with the individual who was shot set the officer's home ablaze the other night. It just goes to show the quality of individual this guy was associating with.

These are the people, drug dealers and arsonists, who would be running the streets if there were no police officers, or if the authority necessary to control the streets was taken away from the police officers. I praise the job that almost all of the officers out there are doing. Keep up the great work, and please, please, please catch and crucify the animal who burned down Officer Bangs' home.
ngirl

Philadelphia, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 16, 2010

Judged:

mike sternberg wrote:
When do we think in 2010 it is a good thing when person is killed you ask? I will help you out with examples. It is a good thing when a drag on our community is excised. Mr. Greenwood was a convicted criminal with a previous history of violent confrontation with the police. His own actions caused his death and it was no loss to the community. It is the same thing when a unarmed drone kills a terrorist. That similar action It is justified. You can be upset all you want if your pro criminal and all but the police have the right to use deadly force. Check out the first 10 articles of the NYS criminal justice code the use of deadly force is covered. Your factually incorrect if you think this shooting was unjustified. Good riddance to bad rubbish I say.
I feel that people were misinformed about what happened in the first place. I feel that police should not taze u while u are driving. When that happened SHAWN slammed his foot tothe gas involentarily.
ngirl

Philadelphia, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 16, 2010

Judged:

To say that a human being is rubbish and that the cops should be able to do whatever they want with them goes against the constitution first of all. Cops are people and make mistakes everyday in every country in this world. Governments and their agencies are not perfect...obviously.. I think that ithaca needs to change its mind and realise that actual people live downtown.. Working living humanbeings and they deserve respect..even if they are black and yeah even if they are a drug dealerr. There is alot of hipocrasy in this town when i know that weed is the number one cash crop in this town. Wake the fuck up.
maximusmike

Watertown, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 16, 2010

Judged:

ngirl wrote:
<quoted text> I feel that people were misinformed about what happened in the first place. I feel that police should not taze u while u are driving. When that happened SHAWN slammed his foot tothe gas involentarily.
Dear little girl, The grand jury investigation showed the tasers never made it through shawns cloths. That means he was trying to run over those cops ON PURPOSE. The grand jury ruled shawn was trying to run the cops over. He was professional coke dealer with gun convictions and a violent history. He had coke on him packaged up for sale to dealer to be made into crack when he was shot. I am glad he is gone because he was trash and a danger to my community. Now he trash family has burned down Officer bangs house and trust me there will be payback!
maximusmike

Watertown, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 16, 2010

Judged:

ngirl wrote:
To say that a human being is rubbish and that the cops should be able to do whatever they want with them goes against the constitution first of all.,....... even if they are black and yeah even if they are a drug dealerr. There is alot of hipocrasy in this town when i know that weed is the number one cash crop in this town. Wake the fuck up.
Nice try but 1.Two wrong's don't make a right so even if the evil white people of CNY are smoking weeed it does not excuse the actions of that dirtbag greenwood for dealing coke. 2. His race card has nothing to do with it shawn was a redneck from ithaca born and bred he just pretended he was a real black person. 3. Cocaine is not the same as marijuana is terms of the danger of the users to other people. Crack head are violent potheads are not.
Scott Noren DDS

Ithaca, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 15, 2010

Judged:

Lots of anger here. Facts would be whether the shooting by police were justified due to imminent danger to an officer or the public. It sounds like there likely was. Even so, it's sad that a human being may have been involved with the things that lead to evil inclinations. It's sad when anyone has to die in this situation and whether he "deserved it" by some or not. The derogatory comments about Ithaca from someone living elsewhere are unfortunate because as quirky as this twon is, it's still a pretty nice place to be. Yes, it's frustrating at times and there seems to be room to blame for lots of things all the time. I tried to institute an Olympic Weightlifting Program for the Stewart Park Pavillion long ago to fight teen violence and drug problems but met dead ears. Maybe it's time to re-think that again with community support. One thing I have noticed is a major lack of attendance at public governmental meetings by this community. That really needs to improve instead of the anger that develops after the fact when programs are passed and it's too late. Maybe that would invite more community members to run for City Council or Mayor and create a more inclusive voice for Ithaca as a whole. Tone down the anger a notch and notch up the creativity; create coalitions of ownership in property and government.
walkerny

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 16, 2010

Judged:

If you can't live a decent, safe life in Ithaca, NY, even if you are lower income, then you are bringing these problems on yourself. Start first not with olympic weightlifting, but with not having babies out of wedlock by different fathers. White or Black that is a ticket to poverty, don't blame others if you or your community can't figure that fact out. Second,unlike many inner cities, the Ithaca school system is a first rate education. Any one of humble means can push their children to a decent education and start in life. If that is not your priority DON'T HAVE CHILDREN!
walkerny

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 16, 2010

Judged:

BTW, I don't celebrate the life lost, but in a world where truly innocent people get handed bad situations, he wasn't one of them. The Ithaca PD is one of the "gentlest" police departments you will find for a city this size. They have to be given the PC / far left nature of the area. I'm not in favor of bullyboy police, either, but that isn't the case in this town. RTim for the comminity to stop protesting the 'injustice' of a criminal getting shot and to concentrate on their self-inflicted wounds. It is possible to change and heal them but step one is to recognize & stop repeating. Sorry for the double rant, but this victim mentality and the race card are worn out. It is 2010, we have a Black president, Black CEO's and Generals and our highest paid entertainers and athletes are Black. Take charge of your life and stop blaming others.
mikey

Schenectady, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 21, 2010

Cheesehead wrote:
If you are stupid enough to try to assult a police officer then you are dead enough to suffer the consequensis. Good job Ithaca Police Department, the jerk got just what he deservice. I am not an anarchist and if you intend to hurt a police office, then you deserve to do the time.
One more jerk off the street.
AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWwwww, cant we jus git along?
2 many H not enough A

Cortland, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 4, 2010

Judged:

I was just looking through the comments not intending to put my opinion out there when I came across Mike Greenberg's comments. I don't come from this area either but I don't see the need to trash talk it. Go back to where you come from - we have enough nasty out there we don't need another.
Silent Runner

Ithaca, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 2, 2010

Judged:

From the report it looks like no criminal charges can be brought against officer Bangs. He acted within the legal guidelines for the use of deadly force given the circumstances of a rapidly developing situation trying to catch Shawn Greenwood selling cocaine. It is a tragedy Shawn died. It really should be viewed that way. He was a friend of someone I know from church. People are more than the crimes they commit. They are people.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Ithaca Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
NY Who do you support for Governor in New York in ... (Oct '10) Aug 19 College Professor 6,391
Fairport grad's family disputes license claim (Jul '07) Aug 16 Diamond Daisy 2
Cornell Embezzlement Coverup (Nov '13) Aug 14 Idontworkhere 12
NY Who do you support for Comptroller in New York ... (Oct '10) Aug 9 JEWISH VOICE 438
Great Philosophy of How to Please Mother Nature Aug 8 Tom 1
NY Who do you support for Lieutenant Governor in N... (Oct '10) Aug 7 dew4794 673
pork belly Aug 4 azncook 1

Search the Ithaca Forum:
•••
•••
•••

Ithaca Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Ithaca People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE