Social environment linked to gay teen...

Social environment linked to gay teen suicide risk

There are 9 comments on the KSWB-TV San Diego story from Apr 18, 2011, titled Social environment linked to gay teen suicide risk. In it, KSWB-TV San Diego reports that:

Lesbian, gay and bisexual teens are five times more likely to attempt suicide than their heterosexual peers - but those living in a supportive community might be a little better off, according to a new study.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at KSWB-TV San Diego.

“Equality First”

Since: Jan 09

Location hidden

#1 Apr 18, 2011
Amazing that someone must do a "study", and spend money needed elsewhere, to support what we all know is common sense. Next they will be studying why mothers tell their kids, "Don't lick the bowl while I have the Mixmaster stiring the frosting".

“Proud to be an American”

Since: Oct 09

Clarksville TN

#3 Apr 18, 2011
Duh...you think that kids may be better off in a supportive and nurturing environment? What a surprise. I didn't need a study to tell me that.
Harry

Galena, OH

#5 Apr 18, 2011
This is very strange. Years ago, teens were not killing themselves hardly at all. And there were no "supportive communities" anywhere. Furthermore, gay teens were unheard of. I'm not saying they didn't exist - simply that they did not expose themselves in middle or high schools.

What also did not exist is "anti-depressants," which are proven to cause suicide and suicidal thoughts in people under the age of 18, according to the drug manufacturers' own information. Read the small print in the televised ads. I noticed the article didn't mention anti-depressants.

There are far too many variables that seemed to be ignored in the article. I think that it is bogus and that the gay community had better take a hard look at how they are encouraging gay teens to come out of the closet. I believe political motives drive that encouragement. Who and what really makes these kids more likely to take their own lives? And what political gain do gays expect from this study?

“Equality First”

Since: Jan 09

Location hidden

#6 Apr 18, 2011
Harry wrote:
This is very strange. Years ago, teens were not killing themselves hardly at all. And there were no "supportive communities" anywhere. Furthermore, gay teens were unheard of. I'm not saying they didn't exist - simply that they did not expose themselves in middle or high schools.
?
You know nothing about "years ago". I knew 3 kids for sure, and maybe a couple of others that killed themselves because they were gay and could not deal with it. In all I knew about 8 kids that either tried or succeeded in killing themselves. They were all under 18 years of age. This was back in the 60's. And the reason that they were not officially noted as "gay suicides" is because families were protected from airing their "dirty laundry" in public. Those kids were gay, but no one outside of one or two friends, and possibly the family, knew anything about it. Most kids did not come out because of the pressure not to. I went against the system, and came out at age 15 in 1959. I once considered suicide, but things happened so that I didn't follow through. Get your head out of your backside, and do a little learning about kids and sexuality. You are part of the problem, not part of the solution.
The 411

United States

#7 Apr 18, 2011
Harry wrote:
What also did not exist is "anti-depressants," which are proven to cause suicide and suicidal thoughts in people under the age of 18, according to the drug manufacturers' own information. Read the small print in the televised ads. I noticed the article didn't mention anti-depressants.
There are far too many variables that seemed to be ignored in the article. I think that it is bogus and that the gay community had better take a hard look at how they are encouraging gay teens to come out of the closet. I believe political motives drive that encouragement. Who and what really makes these kids more likely to take their own lives? And what political gain do gays expect from this study?
Homosexuals expect to benefit in several ways by exploiting teen suicide. First is billions in government money. To install adult homosexuals in the public schools in fake "anti-bullying" jobs which are just a front for homosexuals having access to limitless underage sex-partners. The homosexuals can force themselves on any child by threatening to write kids up for "homophobia", "hate", and "racism". The homosexuals can obtain silence about their crimes using the same threats.
Make sure to take notice if your kids start walking funny after your schools fill up with more queers and the kids are forced to attend their queer classes.
Bleakhouse

Germany

#10 Apr 18, 2011
Hate groups like GSA and HRC should be kept out of schools. They encourage kids to engage in acts they later can't live with and lie to them and tell them change is hopeless, resulting in many suicides.

“The Buybull is innerrrent.”

Since: Jun 08

Parksley, VA

#11 Apr 18, 2011
Harry wrote:
Who and what really makes these kids more likely to take their own lives?
Ignorant talibangelical pieces of sht who defame and disfranchise, and whom we must counteract. That's who.

At least part of the apparent increase in suicides of glbt teens is a reporting phenomenon: In the 50s they might have listed another cause of death besides "self inflicted." And the idea of a teen even being out, allowing anyone to list a suicide as a glbt suicide, was unheard of.

The study I want is how the degree of talibangelicalism in a particular family affects suicide rates for family members, gay or str8.

That black and white thinking will kill ya. Praiz!
eafwfwe

Howell, MI

#12 Jul 13, 2011
I just don't understand why people kill themselves when they are gonna die anyway..

what's the point???

Are people mentally retarded???
eafwfwe

Howell, MI

#13 Jul 13, 2011
you want to speed up the process when you don't know what is on the other side??

the only reason why I could see people doing it is if they KNOW what's on the other side..

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ithaca Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Local Politics Do you approve of Michael J. Sigler as Legislator? (Jan '16) Feb 13 Anyone But Mike S... 20
News GROUNDED: Project shuts down Binghamton flights... Feb 12 Conklincolt 7
News Does Lansing Have a Voice in the Natural Gas Cr... Feb 10 walkerny 1
News Mourners of police shooting victim Shawn Greenw... (Mar '10) Feb 4 Carolb 25
Groton drug problem? (Dec '13) Jan '17 lexiepippygirl 3
Need help picking a local Gym Jan '17 DVDMXM 1
Election Who do you support for State Senator in New Yor... (Oct '10) Dec '16 Good fella 32

Ithaca Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Ithaca Mortgages