Money the Lehigh Valley could call it...

Money the Lehigh Valley could call its own?

There are 11 comments on the The Morning Call story from Jan 12, 2009, titled Money the Lehigh Valley could call its own?. In it, The Morning Call reports that:

Paul Glover knows it sounds funny, like something only people on the farthest fringe of the ''granola left'' would accept.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Morning Call.

John Birch

United States

#1 Jan 12, 2009
How is this legal? Barter has been around now and then, but this seems to me to be the actual "coining" of money---prohibited by antthing but the Federal Government in the Constitution.

“God Bless You!”

Since: Nov 08

Nazareth

#2 Jan 12, 2009
It sounds more like bartering. Just like..I'll fix your care if you can do my plumbing. I think it's a good idea.
Money Ball

Norwood, PA

#4 Jan 12, 2009
This sounds like a scam to avoid taxes. If I take compensation for my services in this play money, can I also use it to pay off IRS and the state?
Truth

Lehighton, PA

#5 Jan 12, 2009
Why?

“Trying to do the best I can.”

Since: Jul 07

Lehigh Valley, PA

#7 Jan 12, 2009
Sounds like a whole lot of work for something only a few people will use.

But, if you have nothing else to do....
GOOBERKSK

Levittown, PA

#9 Jan 12, 2009
funny stuff....

“aka MOB”

Since: Mar 07

Bethlehem

#10 Jan 12, 2009
Money Ball wrote:
This sounds like a scam to avoid taxes. If I take compensation for my services in this play money, can I also use it to pay off IRS and the state?
The original article that ran last week mentioned that taxes would still be due on any sales made with this tender.
voice of reason

Broomall, PA

#11 Jan 12, 2009
Grta Browne's barter system may not have worked out, but Community Exchange, a local timebank, is alive and well. It is a well organized, and well run non-profit organization that has been around at least 15 years.
Mr Bigglesworth

Bethlehem, PA

#12 Jan 12, 2009
Stupid
Mr Clean

Allentown, PA

#13 Jan 12, 2009
Y not just run hundreds off the copy machine thats what the federal govt. duz?
CARSASM

Marcus Hook, PA

#14 Jan 12, 2009
Michele of Bethlehem wrote:
<quoted text>
The original article that ran last week mentioned that taxes would still be due on any sales made with this tender.
Income tax you nitwit.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ithaca Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Election Who do you support for State Senator in New Yor... (Oct '10) 19 hr amwaysux 30
News Structure fire in Enfield (Dec '07) Fri noneya 2
Groton the sleepy little hub (Mar '11) Nov 29 passerby 2
News Travel Agent Arrested (Aug '10) Nov 18 Leigh 15
News Young Atlantic Canadians shouldn't have to leav... Nov 7 No Jobs No Cash eh 1
indymedia reports gang stalking and covert hara... (Jun '07) Oct '16 gsosbee 8
News Police: Student Fatally Stabbed In 'Large Fight... Sep '16 Wlm fkers 2

Ithaca Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Ithaca Mortgages