Travel Agent Arrested

Full story: WETM TV

Police say a Waverly travel agent took more than $71,000 from customers to book vacations with her travel agency but the funds were misused.
Comments
1 - 14 of 14 Comments Last updated Jun 7, 2012
Cruisnchick

Montour Falls, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Aug 18, 2010
 

Judged:

4

What a disgrace. Gail Romano should have to do jail time for what she has done. I know so many people she has stolen from in the valley and the list seems endless. She is a bad person with no morals or ethics. She had an agency in Ithaca and I also know people from the Ithaca area that she has stolen from. She has caused so much loss and distress to so many hard working people. She is nothing but a liar and a thief.

I heard on our radios station WATS radio that her daughter who was the manager of the Ithaca store just opened an agency in Ithaca at the Dewitt Mall. Strange that just as Ms Romano's offices are closed and she has lined her pockets with all that stolen money her daughter has the money to open a new store. Seems too coincidental to be coincidence. I would not trust any of these people.
Staci

Burlington, VT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
Apr 26, 2011
 

Judged:

3

1

"lined her pockets"? Really??? The idiot that broadcasts on the WATS radio is a thief and a liar,he got thousands and thousands in free travel from Gail.. But he's the first one to start yelling liar and thief.She filed bankruptcy,as alot of small businesses had to do recently.It all got turned into a personalized case against her,when it was a CORPORATION. The small minds in the "valley" were up for re-election,and looking to burn someone at the stake,the DA is a total douchebag that needs an enema. Gail is not rolling in the dough,hiding money in secret accounts on some island,so quit trying to make yourselves feel better with the accusations.She is homeless,no money,a car that you wouldn't give your worst enemy to drive and her reputation is shot.Yea,must be the mansion deal in France fell through cause she forgot where she put the "thousands of dollars she stole". Grow up and get over yourself.Let's just hope that what happened to her (getting railroaded) never happens to you or someone in your family.
Sheila

Sayre, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
Apr 27, 2011
 

Judged:

2

1

Well Staci, I happen to be one of the people that she stole from. Are you going to tell me that she was railroaded into this? Did she steal from you? If not, then shut your mouth. She filed bankruptcy after she took my money. What did she do with $77,857? I gave her a deposit and she was supposed to pay it to Royal Caribbean. She never did. I called Royal Caribbean myself. Just goes to show, don't trust anyone.
Staci wrote:
"lined her pockets"? Really??? The idiot that broadcasts on the WATS radio is a thief and a liar,he got thousands and thousands in free travel from Gail.. But he's the first one to start yelling liar and thief.She filed bankruptcy,as alot of small businesses had to do recently.It all got turned into a personalized case against her,when it was a CORPORATION. The small minds in the "valley" were up for re-election,and looking to burn someone at the stake,the DA is a total douchebag that needs an enema. Gail is not rolling in the dough,hiding money in secret accounts on some island,so quit trying to make yourselves feel better with the accusations.She is homeless,no money,a car that you wouldn't give your worst enemy to drive and her reputation is shot.Yea,must be the mansion deal in France fell through cause she forgot where she put the "thousands of dollars she stole". Grow up and get over yourself.Let's just hope that what happened to her (getting railroaded) never happens to you or someone in your family.
Cruisnchick

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Apr 28, 2011
 

Judged:

1

Staci wrote:
"lined her pockets"? Really??? The idiot that broadcasts on the WATS radio is a thief and a liar,he got thousands and thousands in free travel from Gail.. But he's the first one to start yelling liar and thief.She filed bankruptcy,as alot of small businesses had to do recently.It all got turned into a personalized case against her,when it was a CORPORATION. The small minds in the "valley" were up for re-election,and looking to burn someone at the stake,the DA is a total douchebag that needs an enema. Gail is not rolling in the dough,hiding money in secret accounts on some island,so quit trying to make yourselves feel better with the accusations.She is homeless,no money,a car that you wouldn't give your worst enemy to drive and her reputation is shot.Yea,must be the mansion deal in France fell through cause she forgot where she put the "thousands of dollars she stole". Grow up and get over yourself.Let's just hope that what happened to her (getting railroaded) never happens to you or someone in your family.
No one will feel better until Gail Romano pays all that she stole and suffers for the rest of her life for her crimes!!! Gail Romano is nothing but a thief and a liar. SHE FILED BANKRUPTCY ON STOLEN MONEY!!!!! Right after she sold her house and made an $18,000.00 profit. The so called "corporation" was owned by Gail Romano and she had help stealing from her boyfriend Gary Swatling. You act like she had a bunch of board members or it was a large company. SHE WAS THE CORPORATION. 2 of her offices were padlocked shut for not paying rent. Public records do not lie.

Only from this 1 group alone she took full payment for it AFTER SHE WAS NOTIFIED THAT DUE TO NOT RECEIVING DEPOSIT THE BOOKING WAS CANCELLED. SHE DELIBERATELY PLANNED TO STEAL ALL THIS MONEY. She stole from seniors, honeymooners, handicapped people, she did not discriminate against her victims. SHE STOLE FROM EVERYONE THAT HAD THE MISFORTUNE OF COMING INTO CONTACT WITH HER AND AT HER REQUEST PAID WITH CHECK OR CASH.

In the criminal case they only charged her with the bigger amounts....she stole from HUNDREDS OF PEOPLE and companies that were not represented by Tioga County. There is documented proof from over 100 people of her calculated and deliberate stealing, lying and fraud. She STOLE hundreds of thousands of dollars from customers, bus companies, landlords, NYSEG, internet companies, and her agents and more. Quite frankly the people feel the DA was far too easy on Gail as she is callous and evil. She deserves to be homeless and more than that she deserves to be IN PRISON. Not free to lie, cheat and steal in Vermont now!!! She deserves every bad thing that happens in her life. This was no accident this was conniving, calculated THEFT.
island girl

Corning, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
May 2, 2011
 

Judged:

1

Staci,
If you are repeating stories you learned from Gail, then, YOU don't know what you are talking about! SHE stole from my family and myself, cash and checks of course, before she went bankrupt, starting with the very first check she was given to the last. Therefore, PROOF, you don't know what you are talking about!
Something you should know, and please feel free to repeat this, PLAIN AND SIMPLE - Gail is GUILTY. She lied and stole money from many innocent people. I know the truth hurts, but accept it and quit making excuses.
Your ignorance is showing, and if you can't understand this, Vermont must have some small minded people of their own.
Frosty

Ithaca, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
May 7, 2011
 
I am glad Gail got what she did, you see I too was scammed by her and i don't live in the Valley. I am 75 miles away. We had a group going to Alaska in 2009, 8 couples that paid in CASH were the ones that didn't get to go. Just so Everyone know Gail's not done facing charges she now has to come to pur county and be tried. our DA isn't going to be nice to her at all..... He has been keeping us posted through out all of this..... Staci you go ahead and keep sticking up for her, She's got to have at least one friend in her life...looks like that's you... No One should feel sorry for her about having nothing and being homeless. She took money from hard working people.... I really hope our DA gives her jail time..... she needs to lose just like we did.....
Cruisnchick

Mount Upton, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
May 9, 2011
 
Frosty wrote:
I am glad Gail got what she did, you see I too was scammed by her and i don't live in the Valley. I am 75 miles away. We had a group going to Alaska in 2009, 8 couples that paid in CASH were the ones that didn't get to go. Just so Everyone know Gail's not done facing charges she now has to come to pur county and be tried. our DA isn't going to be nice to her at all..... He has been keeping us posted through out all of this..... Staci you go ahead and keep sticking up for her, She's got to have at least one friend in her life...looks like that's you... No One should feel sorry for her about having nothing and being homeless. She took money from hard working people.... I really hope our DA gives her jail time..... she needs to lose just like we did.....
Frosty, please keep us posted here on what the outcome is. The people here felt like she was given a mere slap on the wrist. What area is your case in? Good luck...I hope they throw the book at her.
keeptravelin

Endicott, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Jun 8, 2011
 
This was a shock to everyone I think. I hope everyone who was involved gets their money back! I work in a hospital in that area and am also in the travel business and assure you that not all agents or agencies are like this. Please Frosty do keep us updated on what is happening in your area. How long has this been going on - she was in business a long long time wasn't she?
Staci

Burlington, VT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Sep 17, 2011
 
Whatever.. You can't get blood from a stone. I believe her because I've known her for 10 yrs. If for some reason I'm proven wrong then hey,I was duped too. But I highly doubt that will happen.
cruisnchick

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Sep 19, 2011
 
Staci wrote:
Whatever.. You can't get blood from a stone. I believe her because I've known her for 10 yrs. If for some reason I'm proven wrong then hey,I was duped too. But I highly doubt that will happen.
Of course you can't get blood from a stone that is why what she did is so appalling. She blatently stole hundreds of thousands of dollars, filed bankruptcy, then opened a store for her daughter in Ithaca. She was seen in the store time and time again. SHE IS NOTHING BUT A THIEF, AND A LIAR.

What, are you related to her???? You seem to stick up for her as if you were, I cannot imagine anyone being that blind to the facts unless you were family! She was found guilty both criminally and civilly. And not everyone she stole from was even represented in those 2 cases. She is an evil bad person and she will rot in hell where she belongs! Every bad thing that happens to her will not be punishment enough
Staci

Burlington, VT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Nov 11, 2011
 
whatever
cruisnchick

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
Nov 11, 2011
 
Yep, whatever. BAD Karma will haunt Gail while she is living and then God will judge her and punish her appropriately for all eternity.

And she can be very sure that the people she ripped off in Waverly will make sure she never pulls any travel scam like that ever again!
mothercat53

Lansing, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
May 8, 2012
 
Wow, this is a late post, but I was one of the lucky ones that actually got to go on vacation, even after I booked with her.. I bugged her until I got the airline tickets in my hand.. Karma is a bitch...look out Gail... its on you now..
trvlgrl

Elmira, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#14
Jun 7, 2012
 
Gail Romano now goes by Gayle Burke. Watch out Vermont!!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••

Ithaca Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Ithaca People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Ithaca News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Ithaca
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••