ISLAND PARK: Students get OK to choos...

ISLAND PARK: Students get OK to choose high school

There are 28 comments on the Newsday story from Dec 13, 2007, titled ISLAND PARK: Students get OK to choose high school. In it, Newsday reports that:

The Island Park school board unanimously voted 5-0 yesterday to allow its high-school students to attend either West Hempstead High or Long Beach High, leaving the ultimate decision to individual parents.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
dont get me started

Westbury, NY

#21 Oct 29, 2008
Frankly my dear wrote:
You call these choices? What'll it be, sir? Arsenic or cyanide?
wh is still better than lb ant day..... quite a few people that really were fighting for ip to go to lb have their kids in private school.
Why????

Howcome lb people went to ip board meetings and pretened to be ip people to be heard?
why??

I like having my choice!
ignore

Long Beach, NY

#22 Nov 3, 2008
The people from LB who went to all of the IP board meetings made it very clear they were from Long Beach. They wanted to educate themselves by attending these meetings themselves instead of listening to the ridiculous rumors that were circulating that NONE of the IP parents wanted LB High School as an option. Obviously there were many who did want LB or this never would have gone through. Kudos to the LB parents and administrators, PTA members for going to our meetings- nobody was pretending to be anyone from Island Park. They were just trying to educate themselves on what type of students/parents they would be dealing with. I am from IP and I can say I was horrified and embarassed by the language and behavior that were displayed at these meetings by members of my community.
Evelina

Lynbrook, NY

#23 Nov 4, 2008
It really amazes me how everyone talks about issues they have no clue about. In fact all schools in Long Island have problems with gangs and racial conduct, not just I.P & L.B.
The problem is the parents of these children.
Where are they? I know for sure what my kids are doing at all time- And where is the police when we need them- people are getting stab in I.P?
Okay so now what? what do we have to do to make this STOP???
Whats going on

Westbury, NY

#24 Nov 4, 2008
ignore wrote:
The people from LB who went to all of the IP board meetings made it very clear they were from Long Beach. They wanted to educate themselves by attending these meetings themselves instead of listening to the ridiculous rumors that were circulating that NONE of the IP parents wanted LB High School as an option. Obviously there were many who did want LB or this never would have gone through. Kudos to the LB parents and administrators, PTA members for going to our meetings- nobody was pretending to be anyone from Island Park. They were just trying to educate themselves on what type of students/parents they would be dealing with. I am from IP and I can say I was horrified and embarassed by the language and behavior that were displayed at these meetings by members of my community.
Wow... you must have missed the meeting where it was stated that LB school admin had a tour of Lincoln Orens students they thought they were getting. Did you not hear that the principal told all of them he would see them next year? That tour was a little premature on the board’s part.

How about when people got up to ask a question and did not state where they were from. All IP parents did.(Yes I was there)

Don't make the people from LB sound like dumb people. 99% percent of them pass through IP at least 1 a week. Some even have friends here. They see us at our kid’s games. They know IP people and yes they are smart

As for being horrified and embarrassed by the language and behavior. you really should get out a lot more. If the people of IP did not stand up and fight this issue, the kids would not have a choice. I still think this whole move thing was motivated by greed (The local realtors looking to sell houses). There was a very hard push to get this through by a few on the board. I for 1 will remember this come elections and I hope many more IP people do too!

Well it's over with for now and if you don't like us you can move.
Whats going on

Westbury, NY

#25 Nov 4, 2008
Evelina wrote:
It really amazes me how everyone talks about issues they have no clue about. In fact all schools in Long Island have problems with gangs and racial conduct, not just I.P & L.B.
The problem is the parents of these children.
Where are they? I know for sure what my kids are doing at all time- And where is the police when we need them- people are getting stab in I.P?
Okay so now what? what do we have to do to make this STOP???
Move to long Beach??
Island Park Parent

Long Beach, NY

#26 Nov 5, 2008
Whats going on wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow... you must have missed the meeting where it was stated that LB school admin had a tour of Lincoln Orens students they thought they were getting. Did you not hear that the principal told all of them he would see them next year? That tour was a little premature on the board’s part.
How about when people got up to ask a question and did not state where they were from. All IP parents did.(Yes I was there)
Don't make the people from LB sound like dumb people. 99% percent of them pass through IP at least 1 a week. Some even have friends here. They see us at our kid’s games. They know IP people and yes they are smart
As for being horrified and embarrassed by the language and behavior. you really should get out a lot more. If the people of IP did not stand up and fight this issue, the kids would not have a choice. I still think this whole move thing was motivated by greed (The local realtors looking to sell houses). There was a very hard push to get this through by a few on the board. I for 1 will remember this come elections and I hope many more IP people do too!
Well it's over with for now and if you don't like us you can move.
I can't believe you folks are still talking about this. I think that something like half the parents in last yaer's 8th grade class chose to send their kids to LB. Obviously, many IP parents supported this move. Just by the numbers who chose to go to LB apparently it's been a great success.
You say that "you will remember this come elections" - if that means that you intend to raise this difficult issue again, all I can say is that you must not really care about your community - but rather only about yourself.
Mr Pogers

Port Washington, NY

#27 Nov 8, 2008
Island Park Parent wrote:
<quoted text>
I can't believe you folks are still talking about this. I think that something like half the parents in last yaer's 8th grade class chose to send their kids to LB. Obviously, many IP parents supported this move. Just by the numbers who chose to go to LB apparently it's been a great success.
You say that "you will remember this come elections" - if that means that you intend to raise this difficult issue again, all I can say is that you must not really care about your community - but rather only about yourself.
Not half the class about 20. A large number went to private schools but 2 of those already have transfered to WHHS. There is nothing wrong with LBHS and it is great that we now have a choice. The schools became an issue because the schoolboard was looking to oust WHHS altogether and go solely with LBHS. That would not have been the right thing to do . Now everyone has a choice. I look forward to seeing the info on how well IP students are doing in LBHS, only than can we judge how successful it truly is.
Curious

Rockville Centre, NY

#28 Nov 11, 2008
somethings not right wrote:
<quoted text>Plus, Long Beach NEVER liked Island Park.
Well, your opinion was definitely valid as far as my child's trip to Long Beach High School went. Did any of the other groups encounter nonsense, too?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Island Park Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News A 'hell on Horton Road' for family of murder vi... (Jul '06) 13 hr Nickyboy4 1,123
News Katie Flynn's family to appear on Oprah's show (May '07) Dec 3 kgcincy 205
News Cops: Latin King slain in Queens (Apr '07) Dec 1 KING LITE 328
US Hells angels war on American women and child... (Feb '10) Nov 30 GodofUSAHellsangels 305
Alpha Omega Theta Fraternity (Aug '09) Nov 30 Douglas Sprague 19
Harveys Lake Pa Nov 30 charly 1
Alpha Sigma Phi (Mar '09) Sep '16 Ol Satchmo 573

Island Park Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Island Park Mortgages