Island Park giving students choice of...

Island Park giving students choice of high schools

There are 74 comments on the Newsday story from Mar 19, 2008, titled Island Park giving students choice of high schools. In it, Newsday reports that:

Island Park voters yesterday approved five-year contracts with the West Hempstead and Long Beach school districts, allowing the island community's students to choose which of the two high schools to attend.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
You Stand Alone

Roslyn, NY

#64 Apr 1, 2008
ip parent wrote:
The people of IP really lost site of what was at hand. Many people (Laura Hasset, Pete Zarbar, Chris Fabris). Just like to feel like a part of something. You never listened to the High school kids that spoke at meetings or at school. You never listened to the parents who's children are attending WH high school. You just wanted to hear yourself. If you would have taken all that energy and put it into our high school this community whould look up to you instead of despising you. I am sure there are programs in LB that are great. We could have brought those programs to the kids in WH, instead of bringing the kids to the programs. You and your supporters have helped to divide IP a little bit more.
Some of your points are correct, it would have been wonderful to bring programs to WHHS and we still should do this. But you stand alone on ridiculing community members that had a difference of opinion than yours. There were many people on both sides that were vocal, passionate and down right nasty about what they thought was best for the IP community. Quite frankly, they have all made a name for themselves and are talked about in the community, maybe you are one of them. I think you may need to sharpen your listening skills, there was definately a silent majority that had an interest in LBHS, students and parents alike. I would say by the BOE giving us CHOICE, everyone was heard and you can choose where you would like to go or your parents wish to send you. By naming names at this point shows that you are one that people should steer away from and you seem to be very angry, even though you have options. You use strong words such as despise and strong comments as placing blame "dividing a community", everyone knows it takes two parties to create a disagreement, a conflict or a division of people. You cannot be taken seriously with your offensive, one sided approach. YOU LOST ANY SERIOUS CREDIBILTY WITH YOUR NAME CALLING! In the end if you want a divided community you will continue with this negative approach and you will create what you state. I choose to believe that we have a wonderful, passionate, concerned community that needed to be heard. I choose to believe that our community has the ability to unite for important issues in the community. I choose to believe in the positive that we have a wonderful community that can forgive and forget. You may need to watch the DVD "The Secret" to channel some positive energy into the community! My friend you are nasty and you STAND ALONE ON THIS ONE!
Too Deep Throat

Port Washington, NY

#65 Apr 1, 2008
ip parent wrote:
The people of IP really lost site of what was at hand. Many people (Laura Hasset, Pete Zarbar, Chris Fabris). Just like to feel like a part of something. You never listened to the High school kids that spoke at meetings or at school. You never listened to the parents who's children are attending WH high school. You just wanted to hear yourself. If you would have taken all that energy and put it into our high school this community whould look up to you instead of despising you. I am sure there are programs in LB that are great. We could have brought those programs to the kids in WH, instead of bringing the kids to the programs. You and your supporters have helped to divide IP a little bit more.
FREAK SHOW! Make sure you wear your WH sweatshirts boys and girls.
Order of Protection Here

AOL

#66 Apr 1, 2008
ip parent wrote:
It seems you make a habit of this hostile behavior! L-i-t-t-l-e s-c-a-r-y!
Politicly exhausted

Madison, NJ

#67 Apr 1, 2008
As a parent and businessman in Island Park I was apawled at the handling of the entire situation. This whole issue should have been handled at least 6 months ago. I was a member of the high school commitee that was doing as much investigating and comparisons of the two schools as possible. I was present at the visitation days for each of the schools. I would say that it would have been nice to see all the people that wanted either of the two choices to have gone the the other school to see what was available. I felt that both schools showed plenty of room for improvement and almost wished there was a third option. After seeing the results of student visitation days at LBHS by IP students I can say I am glad my children will not be attending LBHS.Futher more of the 27 students attending LBHS next year 26 are of "other" nationalities.(this comes from an inside source)And when they try and pass an inflated school budget to make up the difference in transportion (the study has already said it will cost more) I will vote NO to passing that budget.
pu pu

Collierville, TN

#68 Apr 2, 2008
What is this nonsense about property values?(value is only what someone will pay, not a sellers assesment). The housing market is a effing mess!! No one is coming in to pay 2003 prices in 2008-11 get real. This should only be about giving students better chances to excel in H.S. not trying to sell off a home or re-finance yourself into debt hell while you go buy more junk,suv's, and drugs
huh

Philadelphia, PA

#69 Apr 2, 2008
Politicly exhausted wrote:
As a parent and businessman in Island Park I was apawled at the handling of the entire situation. This whole issue should have been handled at least 6 months ago. I was a member of the high school commitee that was doing as much investigating and comparisons of the two schools as possible. I was present at the visitation days for each of the schools. I would say that it would have been nice to see all the people that wanted either of the two choices to have gone the the other school to see what was available. I felt that both schools showed plenty of room for improvement and almost wished there was a third option. After seeing the results of student visitation days at LBHS by IP students I can say I am glad my children will not be attending LBHS.Futher more of the 27 students attending LBHS next year 26 are of "other" nationalities.(this comes from an inside source)And when they try and pass an inflated school budget to make up the difference in transportion (the study has already said it will cost more) I will vote NO to passing that budget.
All your info here is not correct, I suggest you call Dr. Price to have him explain one more time that bussing will not increase taxes nor will bussing costs itself increase. You apparently were not at the several meetings where he has explained that the transportation report you are referring to was requested by the state as a worst case scenario and does not hold true for our current or future situation with bussing. Please call he will explain it in depth and you will feel more comfortable. I am a little shocked in referencing the children attending LBHS as another "nationality", not sure what your nationality is but first and second generations of which you are referring to are AMERICANS at this point, possibly no different than you or me. If you are referring to ESL students check your numbers again because you are sadly mistaken, even with your inside info! It is grossly unfair, let alone shameful to ever refer to yourself as better than another human being in this community. If your child was fine attending the lower grades with these "other" children and play on sports teams with them and attend church services with them, then where is the difference between your child and these "other" children. I don't see any! Check your numbers again you are wrong on that as well. Furthermore, if you are a businessman of IP then - DO TELL...for most people will not be patronizing your establishment.
The only thing that you are on target is that this whole HS situation could have been handled much better than it was for everyone involved from the volital BOE that couldn't agree to the community that didn't know how to behave with their neighbors...apparently you included. Voting NO to a budget will only harm the already sketchy reputation of this community and as a businessman in the community your business will be harmed as well...not a smart move for you! It also will not stop the school from running for buses are mandatory outside of IP and within a certian radius in IP and so is teachers salaries as they are contractual, the only thing it will affect is the extras, such as sports and recreation and local busing that is less than a mile from the school. I think you needed to rethink your commentary on this blog as it doesn't amount to much but shameful rethoric that was probably discussed on a bus stop...your inside info needs a little adjusting or maybe you should attend more public meetings to get the correct info.
Lions Tigers and Bigots

Philadelphia, PA

#70 Apr 2, 2008
Oh my where to start with this one...
First: If you have a problem with a diverse community then IP is not for you.
Second: If you are not sending your children to LBHS because of the diversity then WHHS is not for you either.
Last: May I suggest Mr./Mrs. Businessman that you consider buying a home in a community that has "SAFE" nationalities you desire, because that would be the best way to prepare your children for the adult world we call the melting pot. NOT!!!
You clearly are not a good respresentation of our fine community. Please stop blogging, it is an emaressment that you may run a business out of IP.
Easy Rider

Port Washington, NY

#71 Apr 2, 2008
Are one of your ancestors Pochahantas? We are all of another nationality. Instead of an American Flag you probably fly the confederate flag. Go get another tattoo. Bigot.
Archie Bunker

Roslyn, NY

#72 Apr 2, 2008
Hey meathead, do you mean to call yourself politically incorrect!!! Stop listening to your meatball friends across the street. Those stories are stale and moldy, but well scripted for the dumb and dumber (this comes from an inside source).
IP owner

Brooklyn, NY

#73 Apr 8, 2008
paranoid! there is ample help offered in LB for people in your situation
IP owner

Brooklyn, NY

#74 Apr 8, 2008
you cant be serious? thugs from LB..you do live in Freeport dont you? this is no defense of what you innaccurately just said, but freeport is a nightmare! Lb has problems to overcome, but no where near the ones you describe
IP owner

Brooklyn, NY

#75 Apr 8, 2008
dont know if my last comment got through, but the property values may go up a bit from this, I just finally sold a home in IP, I was selling it for some time, I lost a few serious buyers wen they found out that they shipped the children all the way to W.H. I also very much disagree with your idea of the numbers of parents that chose W.H. over Lb. Obviously looking back, i know i would not have left my hs after being in it for a year, every year the new students will choose LB, that is my guess..i would bet on it
unbelievable

Long Beach, NY

#76 Apr 10, 2008
I hate to burst your bubble,but have you driven past WHHS in the morning when the kids are arriving or when they are released from school? You will see that there are more, as you mentioned, "other nationalities" coming in and out of that school than any other race/nationality. The Hispanic population has risen dramatically in WHHS over just the past 3 years, so if you're looking for a "white-bread" community there, you are sorely mistaken. WHHS is just as diversified as LBHS- this is Long Island's reality.
cmon now play nice

Long Beach, NY

#77 Apr 10, 2008
ip parent wrote:
I have to beg to differ on your comment regarding "just want to be part of something". you must be a WHHS high school student or a WHHS parent who attended school there. I too thought that since we had this incredible opportunity to have choice in IP, people would stop the name-calling and understand that all parents want the best for their kids' educations. Each high school will serve different needs/wants for different families. And shame on you for calling specific people out on this blog, that is completely irresponsible and juvenile- I equate this blog when I read comments like that with teenagers text-messaging each other when they're angry instead of talking it out in person. If you are that angry and "despise" these three people you referred to, I feel sorry for you that you are that angry at people you probably don't really know at all.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Island Park Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Arrest in bank robbery string (Apr '14) Jul 19 sussie 5
News 'Sick' Anthony Weiner Weeps While Pleading Guil... Jul 15 Blacks attack on ... 31
women would you castrate you husbands? (Oct '14) Jul 13 scott 60
A harlots value's Jul 12 Rayleslie 1
News Long Island wife Kelly Forbes charged with stra... (Dec '07) Jul 12 Rayleslie 91
Timmy White-A Lost Life (Nov '08) Jul 11 TJ Lane 18
News Seaford man charged with trying to lure girl in... (Nov '10) Jul 11 Dildoscheaggins 15

Island Park Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Island Park Mortgages