Bridge problem stalls Long Beach LIRR...

Bridge problem stalls Long Beach LIRR service

There are 38 comments on the Newsday story from Jul 24, 2008, titled Bridge problem stalls Long Beach LIRR service. In it, Newsday reports that:

A malfunctioning railroad bridge across Reynolds Channel caused a suspension in Long Island Rail Road service into and out of Long Beach on Thursday, officials said.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Last man standing

New York, NY

#23 Jul 24, 2008
If I drove, I wouldn't be paying you $211 a month. If I drove, I would've saved myself a lot of stress this week because the LIRR has been 'effed' up EVERY SINGLE DAY so far this week from 4pm-7pm. Inclement weather? There's no snow storms in the summer to blame it on unfortunately for you lazy mofo's. 8% increase? ALL that dough is going to pay for your inflated pension plans which you start collecting at 45 years old. Oh, and please make sure you sue down the line when you have "carpal tunnel" syndrome from punching tickets for SOO many years (less than 20) so that there can be more fare hikes every year.

All sarcasm aside, you picked a baddd week to deliver terrible service. It takes balls to raise 8% and sit on your hands for 5 evenings straight.
Conductor wrote:
It's not our fault!!!
So before anyone gets on our cases, let me point out that if you people drove today instead of taking the LIRR, everyone would get to work on time.
LIers have a lot of nerve to expect us to be on time and give service for the money they pay.
And this breakdown is proof that we need not one but TWO fare hikes.
We might not work at the LIRR but we think about it all the time. And as anyone with a heart would understand, it's the thought that counts.
Now, give use another 8% and be quiet.
Get out and walk-

Albany, NY

#24 Jul 24, 2008
It's ten minutes, tops, to walk from Long Beach station to Island Park.
If you waited on the train for an hour, you should probably be euthanized.
But Wait

Hollis, NY

#25 Jul 24, 2008
Last man standing wrote:
If I drove, I wouldn't be paying you $211 a month. If I drove, I would've saved myself a lot of stress this week because the LIRR has been 'effed' up EVERY SINGLE DAY so far this week from 4pm-7pm. Inclement weather? There's no snow storms in the summer to blame it on unfortunately for you lazy mofo's. 8% increase? ALL that dough is going to pay for your inflated pension plans which you start collecting at 45 years old. Oh, and please make sure you sue down the line when you have "carpal tunnel" syndrome from punching tickets for SOO many years (less than 20) so that there can be more fare hikes every year.
All sarcasm aside, you picked a baddd week to deliver terrible service. It takes balls to raise 8% and sit on your hands for 5 evenings straight.
<quoted text>
Not one person in the entire world is stopping you from getting a state job with a pension. Why take it out people who are lucky enough to have that. You just sound jealous and bitter that you don't.
Last man standing

New York, NY

#26 Jul 24, 2008
If everyone did that then there would be no one left making real money. If no one in the state made real money, then there wouldn't be any significant tax income. If there's no significant tax income, you guys are up shts creek without a paddle.
But Wait wrote:
<quoted text>
Not one person in the entire world is stopping you from getting a state job with a pension. Why take it out people who are lucky enough to have that. You just sound jealous and bitter that you don't.
LIRR754

Weehawken, NJ

#27 Jul 24, 2008
But Wait wrote:
<quoted text>
Not one person in the entire world is stopping you from getting a state job with a pension. Why take it out people who are lucky enough to have that. You just sound jealous and bitter that you don't.
Amen Brother.
Conductor

New York, NY

#28 Jul 24, 2008
Last man standing wrote:
If I drove, I wouldn't be paying you $211 a month. If I drove, I would've saved myself a lot of stress this week because the LIRR has been 'effed' up EVERY SINGLE DAY so far this week from 4pm-7pm. Inclement weather? There's no snow storms in the summer to blame it on unfortunately for you lazy mofo's. 8% increase? ALL that dough is going to pay for your inflated pension plans which you start collecting at 45 years old. Oh, and please make sure you sue down the line when you have "carpal tunnel" syndrome from punching tickets for SOO many years (less than 20) so that there can be more fare hikes every year.
All sarcasm aside, you picked a baddd week to deliver terrible service. It takes balls to raise 8% and sit on your hands for 5 evenings straight.
<quoted text>
Well, what are you going to do about it, you woman?

Are you going to vote for candidates who'll do something? Probably not. eligible actually do vote.

Are you going to protest? Organize a boycott? Write a letter?

No, you're just going to vent a little in a useless newspaper's forum, do your day job, pay your taxes and fares and annoy your wife with your complaining.

In the meantime, I laugh at your remarks, keep my cushy job, make obscene money for work I don't do and retire on a pension that your taxes created.

BTW, if you do drive, please know that I get paid anyway. The ideal situation for me is empty trains. Less work, gov't subsidies, peace and quiet.

Ha-ha-ha! Loser....
Last man standing

New York, NY

#29 Jul 24, 2008
You got a lot to be proud of there, train jockey.

Except I'm 25 years old and don't have a wife to complain to or kids to feed, and I probably already make double what you do... so have fun there buddy. Make sure you bang in extra overtime like you always have to do to put food on the table for your kids that you don't see very often.

Do they lie when the kindergarden teacher asks, "what does your daddy do?"

Or the truth...
"He sits on a train putting his mind to waste."

You got a lot to be proud of buddy. You work a job made for ex-convicts.
Conductor wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, what are you going to do about it, you woman?
Are you going to vote for candidates who'll do something? Probably not. eligible actually do vote.
Are you going to protest? Organize a boycott? Write a letter?
No, you're just going to vent a little in a useless newspaper's forum, do your day job, pay your taxes and fares and annoy your wife with your complaining.
In the meantime, I laugh at your remarks, keep my cushy job, make obscene money for work I don't do and retire on a pension that your taxes created.
BTW, if you do drive, please know that I get paid anyway. The ideal situation for me is empty trains. Less work, gov't subsidies, peace and quiet.
Ha-ha-ha! Loser....
Last man standing

New York, NY

#30 Jul 24, 2008
The best part is you call me a "loser" LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLO LOLOLOL
Conductor wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, what are you going to do about it, you woman?
Are you going to vote for candidates who'll do something? Probably not. eligible actually do vote.
Are you going to protest? Organize a boycott? Write a letter?
No, you're just going to vent a little in a useless newspaper's forum, do your day job, pay your taxes and fares and annoy your wife with your complaining.
In the meantime, I laugh at your remarks, keep my cushy job, make obscene money for work I don't do and retire on a pension that your taxes created.
BTW, if you do drive, please know that I get paid anyway. The ideal situation for me is empty trains. Less work, gov't subsidies, peace and quiet.
Ha-ha-ha! Loser....
LIRR754

Weehawken, NJ

#31 Jul 24, 2008
Last man standing wrote:
You got a lot to be proud of there, train jockey.
Except I'm 25 years old and don't have a wife to complain to or kids to feed, and I probably already make double what you do... so have fun there buddy. Make sure you bang in extra overtime like you always have to do to put food on the table for your kids that you don't see very often.
Do they lie when the kindergarden teacher asks, "what does your daddy do?"
Or the truth...
"He sits on a train putting his mind to waste."
You got a lot to be proud of buddy. You work a job made for ex-convicts.
<quoted text>
Ha........keep talkin. Bet you wish you worked for the MTA.....nice pension.......easy work.......great benefits...I'll be laughin while your on the unemployment line beeeeotch!
But Wait

Hollis, NY

#33 Jul 25, 2008
Last man standing wrote:
If everyone did that then there would be no one left making real money. If no one in the state made real money, then there wouldn't be any significant tax income. If there's no significant tax income, you guys are up shts creek without a paddle.
<quoted text>
I did not say "everyone", I said "you" since you are the only one making a big deal about "inflated pension plans". It is what it is. The state offers a great pension so boo-hoo you don't have one. Other people who have lucrative jobs, their own businesses and like what they do would not need or want a state job. You seem to want and need a better job and a life.
Conductor

New York, NY

#34 Jul 25, 2008
Last man standing wrote:
You got a lot to be proud of there, train jockey.
Except I'm 25 years old and don't have a wife to complain to or kids to feed, and I probably already make double what you do... so have fun there buddy. Make sure you bang in extra overtime like you always have to do to put food on the table for your kids that you don't see very often.
Do they lie when the kindergarden teacher asks, "what does your daddy do?"
Or the truth...
"He sits on a train putting his mind to waste."
You got a lot to be proud of buddy. You work a job made for ex-convicts.
<quoted text>
The great thing about the net, you silly girl, is that you can be who ever you want to.

How would anyone know you're a 25 year old? Who knows how much you make?

What proof would anyone give that you might not be in a wheelchair in a ward anywhere in the NY area?

Say what you want. We conductors have it made no matter what tales you spin!

LOL!!!!
Brooklyn Mom

New York, NY

#35 Jul 25, 2008
Last man standing wrote:
You got a lot to be proud of there, train jockey.
Except I'm 25 years old and don't have a wife to complain to or kids to feed, and I probably already make double what you do... so have fun there buddy. Make sure you bang in extra overtime like you always have to do to put food on the table for your kids that you don't see very often.
Do they lie when the kindergarden teacher asks, "what does your daddy do?"
Or the truth...
"He sits on a train putting his mind to waste."
You got a lot to be proud of buddy. You work a job made for ex-convicts.
<quoted text>
Such anger. Such frustration!

It sounds like you need a woman badly.
Last man standing

New York, NY

#36 Jul 25, 2008
If you think bragging about doing nothing and getting paid for it is a good example for your kids (LIRR754, Conductor, But Wait, Brooklyn Mom), well then that explains why Asia and India will have bought up the majority of our assets before we're all 6-feet under. We're all sheep in this country...waiting for hand-outs while our work ethic is at rock bottom. People like you guys are pathetic. If you're happy wasting your mind and tax payers money, then more power to you. But I'd shut-up about it...its nothing to brag about. I am in no way jealous of your "train-jockey position", I promise....and if you think I am then that's makes the whole thing even more comical, honestly. Personally, I could not find happiness in knowing that I am a drag on the economy and that I provide terrible service to hard-working commuters who's income pays for mine. To pride yourself on working jobs that could be performed by 3rd-graders (and you do them poorly on purpose) is just silly. If I rode the train to Penn and back 5 times a day for a living I would be embarassed to tell other people.(I'm sure chicks rip their clothes off when you tell them you punch tickets all day and that your job could/should be performed better by machines....and sooner or later you will be rendered obsolete). There's no doubt that there's PLENTY of public sector jobs on LI and in the metro area that are cushy and comfortable, where you basically do NOTHING and get paid for it. Wow, congrats?? Cops, sanitation, bridge/tunnel, highway construction, maintenance, state park positions, etc etc. You LIRR workers aren't the only ones with an easy racket, so get over yourselves. America is a hotbed for inefficiency..so go ahead and get your piece of the action. I mean, you know what you're getting into when you sign up for a job like that - you'll never go hungry.....but the other certainty is that you will NEVER have a shot at the big-time...I'm talkin about getting baller rich. YOU will live in the same small house for life. YOU will drive an economy car, for life, because you will be the first ones complaining about gas prices, meanwhile I will welcome the high gas prices because it will mean less traffic in the way of my V-12 Mercedes gas-guzzling supercar. Children are told to dream big when they are growing up. For me, a job with the LIRR would not fit that dream. Maybe for an ex-convict or a kid-toucher who doesn't have many options...but not for me.
I hate the LIRR

New York, NY

#37 Jul 25, 2008
Conductor wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, what are you going to do about it, you woman?
Are you going to vote for candidates who'll do something? Probably not. eligible actually do vote.
Are you going to protest? Organize a boycott? Write a letter?
No, you're just going to vent a little in a useless newspaper's forum, do your day job, pay your taxes and fares and annoy your wife with your complaining.
In the meantime, I laugh at your remarks, keep my cushy job, make obscene money for work I don't do and retire on a pension that your taxes created.
BTW, if you do drive, please know that I get paid anyway. The ideal situation for me is empty trains. Less work, gov't subsidies, peace and quiet.
Ha-ha-ha! Loser....
you have the balls to call a commuter a loser after they pay your fuckin salary. I got a question for you....are your kids proud of having a father/mom being a lowly ticket puncher on a train full of people bringing in 2x what you make? Im pretty sure your absent from every career day at there school out of sheer embarassment in the fact that you are a meer ticket collector on a train full of millionaires, something that you will never be. hmmm 20 years from now give us all a holla and ill laugh in your face b/c youll be ringing up my grocerys at the local pathmark....hey at least youll have a cushy job sitting in those cashier booths watching people making more money then you...living better lives then you ONCE AGAIN. Great future to look foward too...hey mb if you actually applied yourself to something right now and strived to make a disfunctional service slightly better you could actually better yourself instead of being some drain on the economy for 20+ of your existence expecting everything to be handed to you by the government.
Long Islander

Washington, DC

#38 Jul 25, 2008
I hate the LIRR wrote:
<quoted text>
you have the balls to call a commuter a loser after they pay your **** salary. I got a question for you....are your kids proud of having a father/mom being a lowly ticket puncher on a train full of people bringing in 2x what you make? Im pretty sure your absent from every career day at there school out of sheer embarassment in the fact that you are a meer ticket collector on a train full of millionaires, something that you will never be. hmmm 20 years from now give us all a holla and ill laugh in your face b/c youll be ringing up my grocerys at the local pathmark....hey at least youll have a cushy job sitting in those cashier booths watching people making more money then you...living better lives then you ONCE AGAIN. Great future to look foward too...hey mb if you actually applied yourself to something right now and strived to make a disfunctional service slightly better you could actually better yourself instead of being some drain on the economy for 20+ of your existence expecting everything to be handed to you by the government.
Well put!!! Thank you. Now all of you LIRR employees (if you really are and not just trying to get a rise from people,) SHUT UP.:o)
Last man standing

New York, NY

#39 Jul 25, 2008
So lead by example... identify yourself please so i can fwd this thread to the MTA and they'll know who to fire. Do you brag to your boss about doing jack shlt all day? Or do you cower like a mangina and pretend that ur busy?
Conductor wrote:
<quoted text>
The great thing about the net, you silly girl, is that you can be who ever you want to.
How would anyone know you're a 25 year old? Who knows how much you make?
What proof would anyone give that you might not be in a wheelchair in a ward anywhere in the NY area?
Say what you want. We conductors have it made no matter what tales you spin!
LOL!!!!
USA 350

Columbus, OH

#40 Jul 28, 2008
Conductor wrote:
It's not our fault!!!
So before anyone gets on our cases, let me point out that if you people drove today instead of taking the LIRR, everyone would get to work on time.
LIers have a lot of nerve to expect us to be on time and give service for the money they pay.
And this breakdown is proof that we need not one but TWO fare hikes.
We might not work at the LIRR but we think about it all the time. And as anyone with a heart would understand, it's the thought that counts.
Now, give use another 8% and be quiet.
Bl-w Me!
USA 350

Columbus, OH

#41 Jul 28, 2008
LIRR754 wrote:
<quoted text>
Ha........keep talkin. Bet you wish you worked for the MTA.....nice pension.......easy work.......great benefits...I'll be laughin while your on the unemployment line beeeeotch!
Yeh,and disliked and scorned by just about everyone-you call that work?What a joke...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Island Park Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Review: I Love Kickboxing - Carle Place (Nov '13) 14 hr kjx2007 19
Franklin Gallimore III (Oct '11) Wed Inquiry 4
Nicholas James Faunch/Fox Sep 1 DP 1A 4
Anya Briggs Prostitution and Fraud (Jul '14) Sep 1 G Tobin 8
Noise problem in one section of Queens Village (Oct '14) Aug 29 John 2
Internet Ripoff Scam (Feb '08) Aug 27 Cousin oscar 18
News Assault victim barely escapes oncoming train (Jul '07) Aug 27 Joe Biden 325
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Island Park Mortgages