Bridge problem stalls Long Beach LIRR...

Bridge problem stalls Long Beach LIRR service

There are 38 comments on the Newsday story from Jul 24, 2008, titled Bridge problem stalls Long Beach LIRR service. In it, Newsday reports that:

A malfunctioning railroad bridge across Reynolds Channel caused a suspension in Long Island Rail Road service into and out of Long Beach on Thursday, officials said.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Jimmy Crack Corn

Brooklyn, NY

#1 Jul 24, 2008
Bidge nooo wuurrrkkkyyyy, izzzz tahhhhdeeeddddd.......FARE HIKE!
Get Real

Rahway, NJ

#2 Jul 24, 2008
How does anyone evacuate from Long Beach in an emergency when the only way out is through draw bridges which can be stuck in the upright position by the cause of the emergency?
USA 350

Columbus, OH

#3 Jul 24, 2008
Get Real wrote:
How does anyone evacuate from Long Beach in an emergency when the only way out is through draw bridges which can be stuck in the upright position by the cause of the emergency?
They Swim.
BKL

Taunton, MA

#4 Jul 24, 2008
Get Real wrote:
This is just the train draw bridge. There are three other car bridges that you can use to get out of LB.
Get Real

Rahway, NJ

#7 Jul 24, 2008
BKL wrote:
<quoted text>
This is just the train draw bridge. There are three other car bridges that you can use to get out of LB.
Plurality with an S means all the bridges.
BKL

Taunton, MA

#8 Jul 24, 2008
Get Real wrote:
<quoted text>Plurality with an S means all the bridges.
Wow, that is one hell of an emergency.
mo money mo problems

New York, NY

#9 Jul 24, 2008
How come the N15 wasn't use to bus people to the island park or Rockville centre train station no extras planning the bus runs every 15 to 30 mins, and it's right their! like right their! MTA at their finest wasting money that is not theirs
BKL

Taunton, MA

#10 Jul 24, 2008
BKL wrote:
<quoted text>
And, couldn't the same be said for Rockaway Beach, Breezy Point, or any island in general, or are you just thinking of some crazy freak accident that only affects Drawbridges. I'm pretty sure there are other islands out there that are in the same situation, if not worse, than Long Beach.

Nice conspiracy theory though, terrorists attack drawbridges, right before a hurricane strikes. Seen to many episodes of 24?

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#11 Jul 24, 2008
mo money mo problems wrote:
How come the N15 wasn't use to bus people to the island park or Rockville centre train station no extras planning the bus runs every 15 to 30 mins, and it's right their! like right their! MTA at their finest wasting money that is not theirs
Cuz if you didnt know that, there wasn't enough time to get the buses from the depot to Long Beach and get these people going. You can't just take buses already scheduled to transport people...and tell them to do something else. There's probably more to this story than the article reads. And since the article is once again at a high school reading level at best...thanks valenti, flash flood WATCH, WATCH, WATCH, WATCH, WATCH!...we don't know what's going on completely. So hold your horses. You THINK you know what you're talking about.
foo

New York, NY

#12 Jul 24, 2008
How do they evacuate Long ISLAND in an emergency? That's the macrocosmic question.
Get Real wrote:
Conductor

New York, NY

#13 Jul 24, 2008
It's not our fault!!!

So before anyone gets on our cases, let me point out that if you people drove today instead of taking the LIRR, everyone would get to work on time.

LIers have a lot of nerve to expect us to be on time and give service for the money they pay.

And this breakdown is proof that we need not one but TWO fare hikes.

We might not work at the LIRR but we think about it all the time. And as anyone with a heart would understand, it's the thought that counts.

Now, give use another 8% and be quiet.
mo money mo problems

New York, NY

#14 Jul 24, 2008
well seeing as both of these staion are both on the route of the n15 i dont see who extra buses would be needed. i dont think shit happends when i think. go fishing
Tired of the nonsense

Jamaica, NY

#15 Jul 24, 2008
And they want more money?
New Slogan

Stamford, CT

#16 Jul 24, 2008
The LIRR... Taking You For A Ride!!
Aye Carumba

Brooklyn, NY

#17 Jul 24, 2008
foo wrote:
How do they evacuate Long ISLAND in an emergency? That's the macrocosmic question.
<quoted text>
By using The Emergency Broadcast System.

From there, it's every man, woman, and child for him/herself.

No different from any other day when there is no emergency.

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#18 Jul 24, 2008
So who corrected the weather article, Valenti? Did I have to help out so you got the right information out to your customers? It's not my job. Do yours please. That goes for everyone in Melville. Just wait til the Dolans get a hold of you.
Unknown

New City, NY

#19 Jul 24, 2008
if LI has to be evacuated do we all have to pay the verrazzano bridge toll?
Last man standing

New York, NY

#20 Jul 24, 2008
Agreed. It'd be like rush hour that lasted for 2 months. Mayhem.
foo wrote:
<quoted text>
The Duke not of Flatbush

Scottsdale, AZ

#21 Jul 24, 2008
"New Slogan"The LIRR... Taking You For A Ride!!========
While you eat your chicken wings and drink your coffee. Farmers have a saying - When you take your pigs to market you come back with c--p in your truck. Does this fit you?
mr stretch

United States

#22 Jul 24, 2008
Yeah, they want to confiscate my house so they can build a 3rd rail, but they cant even keep their own %%$$@# bridges working...good luck, i'll be moving when they put the 3rd track in, cant wait to read Newsday on-line about "TOXIC WASTE SPILL ON LIRR KILLS THOUSANDS IN NASSAU COUNTY"

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Island Park Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Associated Food Store on Tulip Ave. (Jan '15) Sun RoseS 7
Review: iLoveKickboxing - Franklin Square (Jun '15) Jun 24 Prettysmile 25
News N.Y. legislature fails to reach deal for Child ... Jun 18 politics as usual 1
News New York's $325 million gamble on ferry service Jun 18 lavon affair 2
Long Beach and tickets on boardwalk for DOG! (Apr '10) Jun 18 GodbeasT 50
Old Freeport Hospital (Oct '14) Jun 16 Freeport historical 4
FREE Family Fun Day Olympicd @ Brookville Park ... Jun 15 EBCBS 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Island Park Mortgages