Squirrel-killing contest is totally nuts - OPINION

Feb 15, 2013 Full story: Buffalo.com 23

The annual Hazzard County Squirrel Slam, scheduled for Saturday near Brockport in Holley, N.Y., is a fundraiser organized by the Holley Fire Department .

Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Jaime Noddings

Burnaby, Canada

#1 Feb 15, 2013
Re: 7th Annual Holley New York Squirrel Slam

Please don't hold this event. It sends a terrible message to people all around the world. This is an embarrassment to New York and will forever damage its reputation. It teaches kids to disrespect wildlife. It says that killing is an acceptable when someone is considered a pest or an inconvenience.

There are better, more effective and less destructive, ways of controlling wildlife populations. This shooting spree is dangerous and irresponsible. It is cruel to squirrels and puts other animals at risk of being accidentally shot, including pets.

These kids will learn that killing animals is fun and it is encouraged. This is the message they will take away from this event. They will continue to kill animals in the future, whatever animals they find suitable.

Please reconsider, donít teach kids to kill. Instead hold an event that teaches kids to connect to their environments, to respect and enhance them. You can organize nature walks, scavenger hunts, geocaching, archery, target shooting, etc. While playing games, kids can learn tree and plant species, their uses, what invasive species are and how to control them. Kids can get involved in preserving areas in their neighbourhoods.

Neighbourhood events are an opportunity to teach kids to respect all life and help them develop skills that they will use later. Please donít help them to become violent and cruel, they have enough help with that already.
Phil

Bellerose, NY

#2 Feb 15, 2013
I have seen many squirrels kill people now it is our time to get even. Kill the squirrels let god sort them out.
Jimmy Magnum

AOL

#3 Feb 15, 2013
Im gonna tie them to the bumper of MY TRUCK and drag them
OneMeataBall

Floral Park, NY

#4 Feb 15, 2013
Make a Squirrel meata ball===Takea one 1/2 pounda of male Squirrel and 3/4 pound of fat female squirrel 1cupa bread crums 2 eggs 1/2cupa grated cheese 1tablea spoon of parsley mixa good Oh I forgota to tella you to d-ball the male squirrel otherwise tasta to spicee.When d-balling makea sure momma not ina the kitchen.when rolling the Squirrel meata balls dipa handes in wine and fry in 10w40 moter oil,somea people likea tranny oil whatever.
squirrel killa

Ripley, WV

#7 Feb 16, 2013
Jaime Noddings wrote:
Re: 7th Annual Holley New York Squirrel Slam
Please don't hold this event. It sends a terrible message to people all around the world. This is an embarrassment to New York and will forever damage its reputation. It teaches kids to disrespect wildlife. It says that killing is an acceptable when someone is considered a pest or an inconvenience.
There are better, more effective and less destructive, ways of controlling wildlife populations. This shooting spree is dangerous and irresponsible. It is cruel to squirrels and puts other animals at risk of being accidentally shot, including pets.
These kids will learn that killing animals is fun and it is encouraged. This is the message they will take away from this event. They will continue to kill animals in the future, whatever animals they find suitable.
Please reconsider, donít teach kids to kill. Instead hold an event that teaches kids to connect to their environments, to respect and enhance them. You can organize nature walks, scavenger hunts, geocaching, archery, target shooting, etc. While playing games, kids can learn tree and plant species, their uses, what invasive species are and how to control them. Kids can get involved in preserving areas in their neighbourhoods.
Neighbourhood events are an opportunity to teach kids to respect all life and help them develop skills that they will use later. Please donít help them to become violent and cruel, they have enough help with that already.
Thx for the idea , I'm planning a slam as I type. It looks like a great fund-raiser project. We been doing a possum squash for years here in WV . But I never thought of a squirrel slam! again thx for the idea ,your post prob. just led to the demise of hundreds of tree rats. Can you live that? lol
Teddy R

Mclean, VA

#8 Feb 16, 2013
SQUIRREL FRICASSEE

Ingredients:
2 dressed young squirrels, approx 2lbs
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
pepper, to taste
1 cup flour
1/2 cup solid shortening
1/2-3/4 cup water
1 1/2 cups milk
1 teaspoon minced onion (optional)

Directions:
1. Wash squirrel thoroughly inside and out in warm water.

2. Drain well and cut into serving pieces.

3. Never wash after cutting up.

4. Combine salt, pepper, and flour.

5. Dredge meat in mixture and coat well.

6. Heat shortening in a heavy skillet.

7. Brown meat slowly on all sides to a rich brown, about 15 minutes.

8. Add 1/4 cup of water, cover tightly.

9. Reduce heat and simmer gently until tender, approx about 30 minutes.

10. Add remaining water as needed.

11. Squirrel should be very tender when done.

12. Remove squirrel to a hot platter, cover and keep warm.

13. Blend leftover seasoned flour into the fat remaining in skillet.

14. Add milk gradually and cook until gravy boils and thickens, stirring constantly.

15. Serve at once with squirrel.

16. Add the minced onion for additional flavor, if desired.

Serves 2-3.

Enjoy!
OneMeataBall

Floral Park, NY

#9 Feb 16, 2013
Teddy R wrote:
SQUIRREL FRICASSEE
Ingredients:
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
pepper, to taste
1 cup flour
1/2 cup solid shortening
1/2-3/4 cup water
1 1/2 cups milk
Directions:
14. Add milk gradually and cook until gravy boils and thickens, stirring constantly.
Serves 2-3.
Enjoy!
Im'a gona try, gooksa good.
OneMeataBall

Floral Park, NY

#10 Feb 16, 2013
Teddy R wrote:
SQUIRREL FRICASSEE
Ingredients:
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
pepper, to taste
1 cup flour
1/2 cup solid shortening
1/2-3/4 cup water
1 1/2 cups milk
Directions:
Serves 2-3.
Enjoy!
Come to thinka bout it I tasted someathing like it on Arthur ave ina the BRONX. Maybe it wasa Rat resipee.
Irene

Vancouver, WA

#11 Feb 16, 2013
It shows that men haven't the compassion woman have.
All these comments are from non compassion men.
Kill, rape, cheating, lieing shooting animals.
squirrel killa

Ripley, WV

#12 Feb 16, 2013
Irene wrote:
Sometimes I don't shoot animals to eat them, sometimes I trap them and knock em in the head. I show them compassion by not eating them alive! And I never rape or cheat on my Squirrells.
Teddy R

Mclean, VA

#13 Feb 16, 2013
Irene wrote:
It shows that men haven't the compassion woman (sic) have.
All these comments are from non compassion (sic) men.
That's OK, Irene - I'm guessing you don't have any problems with men taking an interest in you and bothering you with their attentions.

All good.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#14 Feb 16, 2013
Seeing as how so many of our fine and beautiful songbirds and wilkdbirds are killed by loose and ferel cats....BETTER TO HAVE A SEASON OF RIDDING THE COMMUNITY OF THE BIGGEST THREAT TO MOTHER NATURE.....FREE-ROAMING CATS......
squirrel killa

Ripley, WV

#15 Feb 16, 2013
Go Blue Forever wrote:
Seeing as how so many of our fine and beautiful songbirds and wilkdbirds are killed by loose and ferel cats....BETTER TO HAVE A SEASON OF RIDDING THE COMMUNITY OF THE BIGGEST THREAT TO MOTHER NATURE.....FREE-ROAMING CATS......
I agree in WV we call this the three s method. Shoot , shovel , and shut-up>
Teddy R

Mclean, VA

#16 Feb 16, 2013
Go Blue Forever wrote:
Initially I was reluctant to endorse your campaign here, because I knew of no good recipes for cat:

http://i.imgur.com/06cHL4L.gif

However, it turns out there are some recipes out there after all - here's one that sounds yummy:

CAT BRAISE

Ingredients:
1 cat cut in serving-sized pieces dusted in flour with salt and pepper

1/4 c. extra virgin olive oil

6 artichokes

2 1/4" thick slices of slab bacon, diced

1 small sweet onion, diced

4 cloves garlic, minced

1 carrot, diced

1 lemon

3 small tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and diced

1/2 c. dry white wine

2-4 c. homemade chicken broth

garni of 4 flat parsley stems, 6 leafy thyme branches, 1 bay leaf tied up with kitchen twine Salt and pepper

1/4 c chopped flat-leaf parsley (optional)

Directions:

Snap the leaves off the artichokes until only the tender inner leaves remain. Snap off the stem. Trim the remaining green bits from the bottom of the artichoke, and cut off the inner leaves in a bunch at the point where they are very tender. Pare the tough green outer layer off the remaining stem, pairing the stem into a point. Now cut the artichoke bottom into quarters and remove the choke with a sharp knife from each quarter. Rinse to remove any traces of foin ("hay") and drop them into a bowl of water acidulated with the juice of half a lemon.
Heat 2 T olive oil in a large heavy casserole or Dutch oven. Dredge the cat pieces in seasoned flour, shaking off excess. Brown over medium heat, turning regularly, until golden on all sides. Remove cat pieces to a plate and dump any oil remaining in the pan. Add 1 T of the remaining oil and the bacon dice.(Omit bacon if you only have access to the thin-sliced vacuum packed supermarket variety.) Sautť until cooked but not "crisp". Add the remaining T of oil and the onion and carrot. Saute for 5 minutes, then add the artichoke quarters and the garlic, stir one minute, and add the tomatoes and the white wine. Turn up the heat and reduce until syrupy, stirring constantly, for about 5 minutes. Lay the bouquet garni on top of the vegetables. Arrange the cat pieces on top, together with any juice accumulated in the plate.
Pour in enough broth to come halfway up the sides of the cat pieces. Cover and bring to a simmer. Continue to simmer over very low heat about 1 hour or cook in the oven at 350 degrees for the same amount of time. The cat should be just tender and part readily from the bone. Don't overcook or it will become dry. Check the liquid level frequently and add more broth if necessary. Turn the cat pieces once.
When done, remove the cat pieces to a warm platter and arrange the vegetables, removed with a slotted spoon, around them. Cover and keep warm. Strain the remaining pan juices into a smaller saucepan and reduce over high heat, skimming frequently, until reduced by 1/3. Pour over the platter and serve immediately. Sprinkle with finely chopped flat-leaf parsley if you like.

Bon appetit!
Seamus O hara

Ridge, NY

#17 Feb 16, 2013
Phil wrote:
I have seen many squirrels kill people now it is our time to get even. Kill the squirrels let god sort them out.
I saw a squirrel kill a pit bull.......the dog choked on it and died!
Plotts

Saint James, NY

#18 Feb 16, 2013
Go Blue Forever wrote:
Your community needs more Chinese take-out restaurants...
Plotts

Saint James, NY

#19 Feb 16, 2013
Irene wrote:
Irene ,I sense a touch of testicle envy in your comment...
Teddy R

Mclean, VA

#20 Feb 16, 2013
Plotts wrote:
<quoted text> Your community needs more Chinese take-out restaurants...
Indeed. As our local waterfront chinese restauranteur once importuned me to order -

"Velly tiny libs - velly tender!"

That was a couple weeks before the health dept busted him for all the traps under his building ...
Plotts

Saint James, NY

#22 Feb 17, 2013
Teddy R wrote:
<quoted text>
Indeed. As our local waterfront chinese restauranteur once importuned me to order -
"Velly tiny libs - velly tender!"
That was a couple weeks before the health dept busted him for all the traps under his building ...
Well ,now he understands he should serve people right..for their own good...
Daver1

Rochester, NY

#23 Feb 20, 2013
I seriously wonder if this lady has a man in her life?

I'd be willing to bet its just the opposite.

If she "Had" ( I graciously use the past tense)...He probably left her because he was a killer, rapist, cheater, lier, and probably a hunter. Or , maybe she just likes women better.

She also contributes on the Friends of Animals website.

By the way, all you hunters can thank the FOA for the free publicity at:

info@friendsofanimals.org

Have a good day and remember....

Squirrel season does not end until 2/28...good hunting fellas !
Irene wrote:

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Island Park Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Sea of Cops Turn Their Backs On Mayor At Funera... 20 hr Just Saying 5
Mourners to gather for slain New York policeman 23 hr george buse 5
Annymous Fri Anonymous 1
Alpha Sigma Phi (Mar '09) Fri Plausible deniabi... 536
Missing from KY Thu loving God 4
Critically injured Inwood firefighter recovering Dec 25 Bertram Wilson 3
Dogwood la Dec 24 Sambee 1

Island Park News Video

Island Park Dating
Find my Match