Ping Pong Prodigy Won't Play on Shabbat

Full story: Forward

Ping pong prodigy Estee Ackerman, an 11-year-old from Long Island, was disqualified from her final event at the 2012 US National Table Tennis Championships in Las Vegas when her match fell on the Jewish holy day of rest and she chose not to play, the New York Post reported.
Comments
1 - 9 of 9 Comments Last updated Jan 6, 2013
Yanky Emmersser

Rehovot, Israel

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2013

We are all so so so so so proud of you Estee!!!

She was quoted saying "Ping-pong is important to me, but my religion of Judaism is also very important to me. but it should read:
but my religion of Judaism is MUCH MORE important to me.

One can't compare the importance of ping-pong and the importance of the Holly Shabbos in any way shape or form.

Mazel Tov!!!! For making a real Kiddush Hashem, I'm sure Hashem will pay you back, many times over.

One the other hand some may argue that for a Jewish girl playing sports in public touches on Tznius issues they would advise for Jewish Girls not to enter public sports in the first place. Consult with your local Rabbi. I'm not a Posak.

This is real Mesiras Nefesh to make an amazing Kidush Hashem
Frijoles

Stamford, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2013

Yanky Emmersser wrote:
She was quoted saying "Ping-pong is important to me, but my religion of Judaism is also very important to me. but it should read:
One can't compare the importance of ping-pong and the importance of the Holly Shabbos in any way shape or form.
Mazel Tov!!!! For making a real Kiddush Hashem, I'm sure Hashem will pay you back, many times over.
One the other hand some may argue that for a Jewish girl playing sports in public touches on Tznius issues they would advise for Jewish Girls not to enter public sports in the first place. Consult with your local Rabbi. I'm not a Posak.
Are you afraid you might "accidentally" hear her sing?

Maybe you need to consult with your local rebbe, not her.

“Proud Southerner”

Since: May 07

Israel, betach b'HaShem!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 3, 2013

Yanky Emmersser wrote:
Link?

“Proud Southerner”

Since: May 07

Israel, betach b'HaShem!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 3, 2013

Judged:

never mind, found it there, thanks.
Samuel Appe

Atlanta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 3, 2013

Estee,you have made your parents, your extended family and me extremly proud !! Your maturity,your judgement and adherence to your faith in this situation is truly admirable,Thank you.
It is unfortunate that the sponsors of the tournament would not or could not accomodate you.
You may be interested in knowing that in 1952, The Charleston, S.C. JCC adult Baketball Team was entered in a Statewide Basketball Tournament. When the schedule was released, if we won the first game we would have to play on Friday night. A request was made by our JCC Director to change the schedule. And here I will quote from the Chairman of the Tournament
"Note to all 'AA' teams. The following is a revised official schedule of your games.The only change is in the semi-finals,changing nights of Thursday and Friday as shown on previous schedule. This is due to religious holidays of the Jewish Community team, as we feel sure that all of you will cooperate in this. Had they been successful in their opening game,they would not have able to play on Friday.Normally we never change a scheduled game after the official scedule has been sent out,but in unusual cases such as this we try to cooperate, and we know you feel the same"
Estee, you are to be commended !!
Samuel Appel

Atlanta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 3, 2013

correction to name
Frijoles

Stamford, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2013

Samuel Appel wrote:
correction to name
Well, did you win or not? Dont leave us hanging.
Samuel Appel

Atlanta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2013

Thanks for asking.We did win. And, three members of our team made the All STAR TEAM !!!

“Legumes of the World Unite ”

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 6, 2013

Cool. It just goes to show...

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Island Park Discussions

Search the Island Park Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Island near Buffalo overrun by hundreds of cats 16 min Cat got your tongue 3
NY Who do you support for U.S. Senate in New York ... (Oct '10) 2 hr Lumpy Churchhill 6,372
Review: Cycle Concepts Of New York 6 hr Stanley East Meadow 1
New York Asian Population Growing (Apr '12) Wed winnie wu 24
NY Who do you support for Lieutenant Governor in N... (Oct '10) Tue Gravity Pete 670
NY Who do you support for Comptroller in New York ... (Oct '10) Mon cornholio 437
NY Who do you support for Attorney General in New ... (Oct '10) Mon sdd 755
•••
•••

Island Park News Video

•••
•••

Island Park Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Island Park People Search