On patrol for drunk drivers in Nassau

On patrol for drunk drivers in Nassau

There are 50 comments on the Newsday story from Jul 5, 2008, titled On patrol for drunk drivers in Nassau. In it, Newsday reports that:

A little past 11:15 p.m. The amber glow of a bottle of liquor is the first detail Nassau police officer Kyle Poppe notices after speeding to the scene of an overturned car.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Geeeez

Bronx, NY

#1 Jul 5, 2008
sounds like a fun night... Glad to hear they are keeping the crazies off the road
LI Bri

Huntington, NY

#3 Jul 5, 2008
Good Job, Poppe.
jfh

Brooklyn, NY

#4 Jul 5, 2008
just like an episode of COPS, ...nassau county should be on that show
impeachlevy

Staten Island, NY

#5 Jul 5, 2008
Drive out in suffolk county, you are safe there thanks to steve levy. Come october highway patrol will no longer exist and the roads will belong to the reckless drivers and dwi's! thanks for the great work stevie! Nassau, and the city are making the roads safer while stevie is giving them up to the criminals
Barbershop talk

Cedar Grove, NJ

#6 Jul 5, 2008
Nassau's wall of shame for DWI is the same as a sex offender registry made public. Both are a menace to society.
Jimmy

Hempstead, NY

#7 Jul 5, 2008
impeachlevy wrote:
Drive out in suffolk county, you are safe there thanks to steve levy. Come october highway patrol will no longer exist and the roads will belong to the reckless drivers and dwi's! thanks for the great work stevie! Nassau, and the city are making the roads safer while stevie is giving them up to the criminals
And know the Senator from Virginia wants to bring back the 55 MPH speed limit. The speed limit has been nothing but a joke on the LIE for years now.
Mary

New Canaan, CT

#8 Jul 5, 2008
Barbershop talk wrote:
Nassau's wall of shame for DWI is the same as a sex offender registry made public. Both are a menace to society.
Yep, gotta protect those drunks and rapists.
impeachlevy

Staten Island, NY

#9 Jul 5, 2008
Jimmy wrote:
<quoted text>
And know the Senator from Virginia wants to bring back the 55 MPH speed limit. The speed limit has been nothing but a joke on the LIE for years now.
it has nothing to do with us,..55 mph in virginia ..it is 55mph in new york! no need to bring it back, it is our speed limit. could you imagine how fast they would go if there were no cops on the LIE.
Illegals

Bayonne, NJ

#10 Jul 5, 2008
Illegal M E X C R E M E N T S kill over a dozen citizens a day with their crappy driving. When will the kwaps notice them?
Come_On

Rockville Centre, NY

#11 Jul 5, 2008
Illegals wrote:
Illegal M E X C R E M E N T S kill over a dozen citizens a day with their crappy driving. When will the kwaps notice them?
Why does somebody always have to bring up the immigration issue, regardless of what the article is about? Did they say the people charged with DWI were all minorities? No. In fact their race was never even brought up.
They are only talking about the drunken idiots who don't plan ahead and try to drive home drunk after partying over 4th of July weekend. Stick to the issue being discussed and stop blaming it on legal status.

“What am I,flypaper for freaks?”

Since: Mar 08

Mastic Beach, New York

#12 Jul 5, 2008
Come_On wrote:
<quoted text>
Why does somebody always have to bring up the immigration issue, regardless of what the article is about? Did they say the people charged with DWI were all minorities? No. In fact their race was never even brought up.
They are only talking about the drunken idiots who don't plan ahead and try to drive home drunk after partying over 4th of July weekend. Stick to the issue being discussed and stop blaming it on legal status.
Oh, and i suppose Luz Valverde (the lady charged with DWI) is Irish? Perhaps Chinese? Hmmm-what do you think?
YAMBAG

New York, NY

#13 Jul 5, 2008
How come the cops don't check out all these cars with North Carolina license plates loaded up with three hundred mexicans in them.It would give them something to do on those other days that aren't holidays. I would love to hear about all the car insurance policies that they carry.May-be one of Steve Levys' Family members has to get rear ended before something is done.I would love to see you collect compensation from jose sanchez to cover all the hospital bills. This Island is Blind to what these immigrants get away with.
GMC

Sound Beach, NY

#14 Jul 5, 2008
I wonder if the officer pulled over an off duty co-worker for dwi, would he make the arrest? say another 30-35 year old who was out drinking
GMC

Sound Beach, NY

#15 Jul 5, 2008
YAMBAG wrote:
How come the cops don't check out all these cars with North Carolina license plates loaded up with three hundred mexicans in them.It would give them something to do on those other days that aren't holidays. I would love to hear about all the car insurance policies that they carry.May-be one of Steve Levys' Family members has to get rear ended before something is done.I would love to see you collect compensation from jose sanchez to cover all the hospital bills. This Island is Blind to what these immigrants get away with.
AGREE!! Def. no insurance!!
super duper

New York, NY

#16 Jul 5, 2008
This is probably the dumbest Newsday article I ever read. I wish I could have my five minutes I spent reading it back.
Airflat

United States

#17 Jul 5, 2008
The numbers still prove that out of driving drunk 2000 times they will only catch you one time. And newsday do you think these drunk driver's are reading this article. No, they are drinking.
in nassau

East Northport, NY

#18 Jul 5, 2008
super duper wrote:
This is probably the dumbest Newsday article I ever read. I wish I could have my five minutes I spent reading it back.
Agreed ... Newsday is really starting to peeve me off with their holier-than-thou fingerpointing. ENOUGH already, Newsday! Are you an outlet of JOURNALISM, or are you the errand-boy servant of Nassau DA Rice? Is this a newspaper or a public service announcement???
chenz62

Levittown, NY

#19 Jul 5, 2008
outstanding job~~!!

Since: Apr 08

AOL

#20 Jul 5, 2008
SORRY...BUT I'LL BET...AT ONE TIME OR ANOTHER, YOU WERE BEHIND THE WHEEL DRUNK, OR IMPAIRED.....THIS INCLUDES WHILE BEING SLEEPY..... A PERSON WHO IS DOZING OFF WHILE DRIVING IS JUST AS A DANGER AS A BOOZED UP DRIVER....DON'T EVEN TRY TO DENY THAT!!!!...MEANWHILE......BACK ON THE ROADWAYS....THE BOOZERS ARE EVERYWHERE!!!!....THERE ARE MORE DRUNKS ON THE ROADS DRIVING AROUND THAN YOU CAN IMAGINE!!!......RICE A RONI THINKS SHE IS CLEANING THE STREETS,... BUT HARDLY MAKING A DENT IN THE PROBLEM.....I DO "NOT" SUPPORT, OR CONDONE D.W.I. BUT STATS SHOW THAT OVER 70% OF ALL MOTOR VEHICLE FATALITIES ARE CAUSED BY SOBER DRIVERS.....SO THIS TELLS US IT TOOK A SOBER DRIVER TO CAUSE THE SAME RESULTS THAT A DRUNK CAUSED + 20%.....HUH....THIS SAYS TO ME MOST OF THESE PEOPLE CANT DRIVE RESPONSIBLY, DRUNK, OR SOBER TO BEGIN WITH!!!!....IF WE ARE SO CONCERNED WITH GETTING THE DRUNKS OFF OF THE ROAD.....WHAT ABOUT THE 70% OF THE OTHER KILLERS OUT THERE WHO ARE SOBER.....NOTHING....NOTHING IS EVEN MENTIONED ABOUT THEM.....DOES THIS MEAN IT'S OK TO KILL WHILE STUPID, BUT NOT DRUNK???? ANNND......MOST OF THE HANG EM HIGH, GOOODY GOOODY TWO SHOES OUT THERE CRYING FOR JUSTICE, HAVE DRIVEN DRUNK AT ONE TIME OR ANOTHER IN THEIR LIFETIME, SO GET OFF OF YOUR HIGH HORSE, & REALIZE THIS IS A BIGGER PROBLEM THAN YOU THINK, & THE HARVEY WALLBANGERS AREN'T THE ONLY ONES ONES KILLING US ON THE ROADS.
Anonymous

Commack, NY

#21 Jul 6, 2008
WOODY from ST JAMES wrote:
SORRY...BUT I'LL BET...AT ONE TIME OR ANOTHER, YOU WERE BEHIND THE WHEEL DRUNK, OR IMPAIRED.....THIS INCLUDES WHILE BEING SLEEPY..... A PERSON WHO IS DOZING OFF WHILE DRIVING IS JUST AS A DANGER AS A BOOZED UP DRIVER....DON'T EVEN TRY TO DENY THAT!!!!...MEANWHILE......BACK ON THE ROADWAYS....THE BOOZERS ARE EVERYWHERE!!!!....THERE ARE MORE DRUNKS ON THE ROADS DRIVING AROUND THAN YOU CAN IMAGINE!!!......RICE A RONI THINKS SHE IS CLEANING THE STREETS,... BUT HARDLY MAKING A DENT IN THE PROBLEM.....I DO "NOT" SUPPORT, OR CONDONE D.W.I. BUT STATS SHOW THAT OVER 70% OF ALL MOTOR VEHICLE FATALITIES ARE CAUSED BY SOBER DRIVERS.....SO THIS TELLS US IT TOOK A SOBER DRIVER TO CAUSE THE SAME RESULTS THAT A DRUNK CAUSED + 20%.....HUH....THIS SAYS TO ME MOST OF THESE PEOPLE CANT DRIVE RESPONSIBLY, DRUNK, OR SOBER TO BEGIN WITH!!!!....IF WE ARE SO CONCERNED WITH GETTING THE DRUNKS OFF OF THE ROAD.....WHAT ABOUT THE 70% OF THE OTHER KILLERS OUT THERE WHO ARE SOBER.....NOTHING....NOTHING IS EVEN MENTIONED ABOUT THEM.....DOES THIS MEAN IT'S OK TO KILL WHILE STUPID, BUT NOT DRUNK???? ANNND......MOST OF THE HANG EM HIGH, GOOODY GOOODY TWO SHOES OUT THERE CRYING FOR JUSTICE, HAVE DRIVEN DRUNK AT ONE TIME OR ANOTHER IN THEIR LIFETIME, SO GET OFF OF YOUR HIGH HORSE, & REALIZE THIS IS A BIGGER PROBLEM THAN YOU THINK, & THE HARVEY WALLBANGERS AREN'T THE ONLY ONES ONES KILLING US ON THE ROADS.
70% of fatalities may be from sober people, but around 99% of drivers are sober. Ask someone more intelligent than you what this means and you could see why driving while intoxicated is a problem.

Oh, by the way, ask this smarter person about the 20% thing...that math doesnt work either.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Island Park Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
women would you castrate you husbands? (Oct '14) 16 hr Colaguy 11
Mortar fireworks 20 hr Kojak 1
Is the Long Island job market keeping up with t... Sat LongIslandBusines... 1
News Development in College Point is wreaking havoc ... Sat marilyn sullivan 1
N Faunch, fraud, conman, liar, cocaine addict. Sat Brandy S 3
Nicholas Faunch -- Theif, Liar, cocaine addict ... Jul 3 CW W 2
News NYPD Daily Blotter (Jun '11) Jul 2 Teema 7
More from around the web

Island Park People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE