Mining company announces $500M invest...

Mining company announces $500M investment in U.P.

There are 6 comments on the WOOD-TV Grand Rapids and Michigan story from Jul 12, 2008, titled Mining company announces $500M investment in U.P.. In it, WOOD-TV Grand Rapids and Michigan reports that:

Cleveland-Cliffs Inc. says it's investing $500 million to increase iron pellet production at its Empire Mine in Marquette County.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WOOD-TV Grand Rapids and Michigan.

“WINGS....ROCK The Ice YEAH!”

Since: Mar 08

Big Rapids, MI

#1 Jul 12, 2008
Way To GO Cleveland -Cliffs....maybe the detroit and grand rapids area will get busy again with minning salt......
Delighted

Grand Rapids, MI

#2 Jul 12, 2008
Glad to hear that there are more jobs available in Michigan. Our family used to live in that area years ago, and there were not many jobs to choose from, which is why we moved back down to lower Michigan. We still have family in Marquette County who have been struggling. Hopefuly if the mine is encouraging work, others will fallow. All in all, its a relief to know that steps forward are being made.
Broke in Michigan

Lansing, MI

#3 Jul 13, 2008
Nice to hear about this....Loved the fact that the AuSable area drilling court case didn't even get a whisper of a mention.
Papa Smurf

Grand Rapids, MI

#4 Jul 14, 2008
Palmer, MI.

YAAAAAH Hooooooo.
d_virgo

Newport, MI

#5 Oct 23, 2008
Papa Smurf wrote:
Palmer, MI.
YAAAAAH Hooooooo.

Do you know how to apply for a job? I heard the mine was in Palmer. True?
michael

Marquette, MI

#6 Oct 27, 2008
well ya. but everyone opposes the opening of a new mine up in the yellow dog plains. that could generate $3 billion in mining revenue. and would be the first in a series of mining ventures to mine some $30-$60 billion from UP mineral rich areas.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ishpeming Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Anybody know Kelsey Coon? (Dec '13) May '16 Bob Mitchell 17
Sawyer housing May '16 Tammi 3
Windmill at housing authority (Jul '14) Jul '14 Marco 1
News Trojans fall to Ishpeming in regional title game (Nov '13) Nov '13 C Decker 1
kim robbins (Aug '13) Oct '13 peteysneak 3
wanting to relocate from Missouri (Mar '13) Jun '13 goodneighbor 14
News 'Finland Calling' celebrates 51 years on the air (Jun '13) Jun '13 ggugyugyu 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Ishpeming Mortgages