Grief Counseling In Hartford Student Death

Full story: Hartford Courant

The University of Hartford is offering counseling services to students, staff and faculty after the untimely death Friday morning of a third-year student, officials said.
Comments
1 - 18 of 18 Comments Last updated May 4, 2009
Deborah Berkman

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 28, 2009

Judged:

John Osztrogonacz was a warm, talented, gentle soul who will be missed by many. His death was untimely and possibly preventable. I plead with every college student out there. Think about what you are putting in your mouth and is it really worth it.
Think before you drink!!!!
Alexander Cole

Avenel, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 28, 2009

Judged:

I knew John from his high school days where we were classmates and friends. Everyone whose lives he touched will miss him greatly and I wish to express my sincerest condolences to his family.
JenR

Manchester, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 29, 2009

Judged:

its crazy that most kids "start" drinking once they get to college. I understand that when you turn 21 but geesh because you're 21 it doesn't mean you "must" drink.
Sad, I hope someone gets charged with manslaughter.
big smooth

Imperial, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 29, 2009

Judged:

JenR wrote:
its crazy that most kids "start" drinking once they get to college. I understand that when you turn 21 but geesh because you're 21 it doesn't mean you "must" drink.
Wait a minute! Why do you pass the blame on others? We are all responsible for our behavior. Remember there is an investigation going on. I feel bad about what happened, but I don't wish that someone is responsible for his consuming what ever spirit it may have been.
Alexander Cole

Iselin, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 30, 2009

Judged:

JenR wrote:
John was just another fun-loving person out of many in our generation. No one was at fault. The cultural and social differences between different age groups makes you ignorant. Don't run your mouth if you have no idea what you're talking about.
hart

West Hartford, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 30, 2009

what did they determine to be the cause of death anyways?
Meg Doyle

Iselin, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 30, 2009

Judged:

JenR wrote:
John was one of my oldest and closest friends. I knew him well and like Alex, know how talented and wonderful he was and how much he will be missed. Many of our hearts are broken by this.
Please don't try to scandalize his death by bringing up things like criminal charges or alluding to some kind of foul play. Can't we just say it's a tragedy and leave it at that? Those of us who are mourning don't need anything else to be angry and confused about. And his parents especially do not.
Thank you.
jimmy

Bronx, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 30, 2009

So the cause of death was alcohol poisoning? I knew of John but I dont go to hartford anymore so i havent heard yet.
Charles

West Hartford, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 31, 2009

The cause of death has not been determined.
Choices

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 31, 2009

The school is claiming the cause of death has not been determined for liability reasons, but anyone that was with him Thursday night knows, and EMS...
However, yes that is not the point. We all loved John very much, he touched many lives, more than you can imagine. We also do not want to see another mother or father lose their son or daughter after sending them away to college, because they drank more than their body could handle. It is happening in colleges and universities all over the USA. Just google alcohol poisoning. See what comes up.
JenR

Manchester, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 4, 2009

Judged:

Meg Doyle wrote:
<quoted text>
John was one of my oldest and closest friends. I knew him well and like Alex, know how talented and wonderful he was and how much he will be missed. Many of our hearts are broken by this.
Please don't try to scandalize his death by bringing up things like criminal charges or alluding to some kind of foul play. Can't we just say it's a tragedy and leave it at that? Those of us who are mourning don't need anything else to be angry and confused about. And his parents especially do not.
Thank you.
scandal? who was he with that night? You just dont move on saying "he was drinking and died"! Was there a game being played, did someone spike his drink etc. A full investigation is needed IMO
Choices

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 4, 2009

Judged:

Maybe you are right JenR, just maybe you are right.
Sandra

Avenel, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2009

John lived a couple of blocks away from me ... we saw each other every day while walking to school...he had a kind heart and it is very unfair that his life ended so soon....rest in peace hun xoxoxoxo
Billy J

Toms River, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 9, 2009

Judged:

John was one of the nicest kids that I met while attending Hartford. His death hit me kinda of hard...its just such a horrible thing to happen to such a good hearted human being. John always made me feel welcomed and comfortable whenever I was with him. He always encouraged me to get my school work done and get the right thing. Most of all John was somebody that everybody loved to be around. He was so full of positive energy. Despite only knowing him for less than two full semesters, I don't think I'll ever forget the kid and personally I'm glad I got to know him. The world is a lesser place without him. R.I.P.
Johnny

Newark, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 17, 2009

Judged:

John died of aspiration due to alcohol poisoning.

When your blood alcohol content is high enough, some nerve reflexes like your gag reflex shut down.

Because the gag reflex shuts down, the epiglottis (muscle that alternates between closing off the trachea (windpipe) and esophogus (the tube from ur mouth to stomach)) stops working.

He probably felt really really drunk, and decided to head in for the night. When he got to his room he either passed out or just decided to sleep it off, and after falling unconcious his body decided to reject what ever was in his stomach.(more alcohol, or food or w/e)

Because the epiglottis and gag reflex is absent, the vommit would have came out of his stomach and then poured directly into his lungs. Because John was unconsious by now to the point of comatoss, John wouldnt have felt a thing.

Im sorry if this was too much for anyone to read, but I just wanna help anyone who didnt understand or had questions about it. It can happen to anyone who drinks alot and doesnt stay awake. And its hard to tell if someone is aspirating because alot of times the vommit never creeps up the throat enough to reach the mouth or nose.

If someone you know is extremely drunk and sick. Keep them awake. Keep them on there side, dont feed them or give them anything to drink, but keep there mouth moist. If you must give them anything to drink. VERY VERY VERY small ammounts of water. Tea spoons of water.

If there repiration is less than 12 breaths a minute. OR if there is ever more than 10seconds between breathes. Call an ambulance immediately.

I was good friends with John and I miss him alot. Still hard to believe he has passed away. I dont know if its anyones fault, nor do I care. It will not bring him back to dwell on these things. Remember him and live for him.

RIP John
Johnny

Newark, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 17, 2009

Judged:

also.. never leave a drunk and sick person alone.
JenR

Manchester, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 25, 2009

Johnny wrote:
John died of aspiration due to alcohol poisoning.
When your blood alcohol content is high enough, some nerve reflexes like your gag reflex shut down.
Because the gag reflex shuts down, the epiglottis (muscle that alternates between closing off the trachea (windpipe) and esophogus (the tube from ur mouth to stomach)) stops working.
He probably felt really really drunk, and decided to head in for the night. When he got to his room he either passed out or just decided to sleep it off, and after falling unconcious his body decided to reject what ever was in his stomach.(more alcohol, or food or w/e)
Because the epiglottis and gag reflex is absent, the vommit would have came out of his stomach and then poured directly into his lungs. Because John was unconsious by now to the point of comatoss, John wouldnt have felt a thing.
Im sorry if this was too much for anyone to read, but I just wanna help anyone who didnt understand or had questions about it. It can happen to anyone who drinks alot and doesnt stay awake. And its hard to tell if someone is aspirating because alot of times the vommit never creeps up the throat enough to reach the mouth or nose.
If someone you know is extremely drunk and sick. Keep them awake. Keep them on there side, dont feed them or give them anything to drink, but keep there mouth moist. If you must give them anything to drink. VERY VERY VERY small ammounts of water. Tea spoons of water.
If there repiration is less than 12 breaths a minute. OR if there is ever more than 10seconds between breathes. Call an ambulance immediately.
I was good friends with John and I miss him alot. Still hard to believe he has passed away. I dont know if its anyones fault, nor do I care. It will not bring him back to dwell on these things. Remember him and live for him.
RIP John
thanks for this info, very helpful!
Courtney

West Hartford, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 4, 2009

Judged:

John was the nicest most generous person I have ever met. It is a tragedy that he died so young and he will be greatly and forever missed by many.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Iselin Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Jersey Shore Fishing: Many proves there are loc... 22 hr carl aabye 1
Edison's police chief: $200,000 in renovations,... Aug 17 ROSENBERG 3
Lucille Ball (Mar '13) Aug 12 Alice 2
Boulevard ShopRite Kosher Experience SHUT DOWN Aug 4 Rabbi X 6
USS Chesapeake Captured by British 1812 (Mar '13) Aug 2 MrDoughnut 13
Connect With Free Wi-Fi At Union County Parks Aug 1 marius 1
Man was masturbating on Middlesex Greenway, Edi... Jul '14 Anthony Scarpuzzi 2

Search the Iselin Forum:
•••

Iselin News Video