Spring Fling at West Irvine Elementary

Spring Fling at West Irvine Elementary

Posted in the Irvine Forum

Personal Opinion

Elizabethtown, KY

#1 Apr 14, 2012
Just wondering what everyone thinks about the Spring Fling that took place at West Irvine Elementary. I have no child that attends the school however, I do have one that will be attending. I have heard that the children were or could bring a date!?! That's a bit much especially for children in these particular grades. I am all about children having fun & letting them attend a dance but from what I've heard this went a little too far. This could have caused many children to feel pressure & many to feel left out. I am a little disappointed that this is what our school systems are coming to. I can't imagine what it's going to be like for these children when they've reached middle school & high school. Just my thoughts.
well

Irvine, KY

#2 Apr 14, 2012
Personal Opinion wrote:
Just wondering what everyone thinks about the Spring Fling that took place at West Irvine Elementary. I have no child that attends the school however, I do have one that will be attending. I have heard that the children were or could bring a date!?! That's a bit much especially for children in these particular grades. I am all about children having fun & letting them attend a dance but from what I've heard this went a little too far. This could have caused many children to feel pressure & many to feel left out. I am a little disappointed that this is what our school systems are coming to. I can't imagine what it's going to be like for these children when they've reached middle school & high school. Just my thoughts.
I couldn't have said it better myself! 2nd graders are to young to be worried about dances and having a date to attend one is just ridiculous! I do have a child that attends West Irvine and I don't approve of any dance for a 2nd grader and wouldn't let him attend. So, you aren't alone I feel the same way as you do "personal opinion".
Personal Opinion

Elizabethtown, KY

#3 Apr 14, 2012
well wrote:
<quoted text>
I couldn't have said it better myself! 2nd graders are to young to be worried about dances and having a date to attend one is just ridiculous! I do have a child that attends West Irvine and I don't approve of any dance for a 2nd grader and wouldn't let him attend. So, you aren't alone I feel the same way as you do "personal opinion".
I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one who feels this way & I would also like to think that we are not the only ones who have these same feelings.
love it

Prattville, AL

#4 Apr 14, 2012
Personal Opinion wrote:
<quoted text>I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one who feels this way & I would also like to think that we are not the only ones who have these same feelings.
last year they had one but only for 4th and 5th grades..much better!!
ridiculous

Irvine, KY

#5 Apr 15, 2012
What is even more crazy is that I saw an 8-year-old little girl that was going to this dance and she had on more make-up than I wear!! Really?? What are these mothers trying to teach their children!! Disgusting! Her mother is from a well-to-do (or so they think) family so I was just shocked.
Katherine

Macon, GA

#6 Apr 15, 2012
My little girl is 9 and shes in third grade and I still don't let her go to dances. Call me old fashioned but I don't think that kind of dance is right for little kids. When I went to school only 7th through 12th was allowed to have date dances. Thats how it should stay. They wonder why the pregnancy age keeps getting lower and lower. People watch your kids and don't let them grow up to soon. Let them be little kids as long as they can be because us grownups know after you pass through that door you can't go back. God bless.
trixie

Irvine, KY

#7 Apr 20, 2012
i think dances should be for high school

Since: Mar 12

United States

#8 Apr 20, 2012
It used to be Junior - Senior Prom… Now it is from elementary thru senior year “Proms”. All the Spring Flings at the elementary schools and the middle school are just scaled down versions. Especially at the middle school age. All the fancy dresses, corsages, make-up, & hair do’s. It is ridiculous.

Then to top all that off. The 8th graders had a 3 day trip to Tennessee. I only ever knew of the Senior Trip back in the day. At one point the 8th graders used to have a day trip to Kings Island. Then that was reduced to going to a Legends game a few years back or none at all due to “cost”. But now a 3 day 8th grade trip out of state?

Has it ever occurred that it seems when certain people’s children are in certain grades it seems they start new things???

Call me old fashioned or whatever… My children will attend their Junior-Senior Prom and their Senior Trip ONLY.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Irvine Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Desiree Richardson (Jun '14) 1 hr KY hillbilly 3
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 2 hr ChromiuMan 168,804
homeless woman staying in car wash Mon Yeppers 12
Renee B (Jun '14) Mon not a friend 7
ken / glen brown on sandhill Sun new resident 1
Wreck Oct 15 tragic 5
Od on crooked creek Oct 15 Friend 1

Irvine Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Irvine Mortgages