Irvine City Councils hold up privilege license for new businesses?

Posted in the Irvine Forum

Comments
1 - 20 of 25 Comments Last updated May 2, 2013
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
asking anyone

Somerset, KY

#1 Apr 27, 2013
I hear there are some job killers on the Irvine council trying to hold up potential new businesses from coming here. The red tape and waiting period is tough. No wonder Sherrards Jewelry store is the only place where you can actually buy anything downtown anymore.It is time for the voters to kick ass in the next election. Defeat these pathetic office holders. Today as I walked downtown I thought of the businesses that were once in the city limits. Now so many vacant and under utilized buildings haunt the landscape. Notice how Ravenna seems to have seen a few new businesses despite a much smaller population? When is the last new building in the Irvine city limits apart from some government buildings? River Drive and Broadway have seen businesses flee and current businesses haven't painted their buidings in decades. If you have tried to start a business and been turned down by these traditional jokes of office holders, CAMPAIGN against these people. It is time we have a council that wants to better the city of Irvine. We can do better. The voters need to kick some of these Neanderthals out of office. Folks, don't take these local elections lightly as they affect your life more than presidential elections.

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#2 Apr 27, 2013
The end solution is to bring an end to the privilage licenses for businesses because the City Council has no right to decide what you do with your private property.
bums!!!!

Irvine, KY

#3 Apr 27, 2013
That no good mayor needs to get out ASAP! He don't do nothing to help Irvine.
asking anyone

Somerset, KY

#4 Apr 28, 2013
Amen. Tom Williams was the best mayor Irvine has ever had. Mr. Farmer doesn't have a clue and lets those women run things. The lady who operates the Bergman House b & b said she was denied a privilege license for A YEAR.
Boo Hoo

Irvine, KY

#5 Apr 29, 2013
asking anyone wrote:
Amen. Tom Williams was the best mayor Irvine has ever had. Mr. Farmer doesn't have a clue and lets those women run things. The lady who operates the Bergman House b & b said she was denied a privilege license for A YEAR.
Oh, boo-hoo.
Lib

London, KY

#6 Apr 29, 2013
asking anyone wrote:
I hear there are some job killers on the Irvine council trying to hold up potential new businesses from coming here. The red tape and waiting period is tough. No wonder Sherrards Jewelry store is the only place where you can actually buy anything downtown anymore.It is time for the voters to kick ass in the next election. Defeat these pathetic office holders. Today as I walked downtown I thought of the businesses that were once in the city limits. Now so many vacant and under utilized buildings haunt the landscape. Notice how Ravenna seems to have seen a few new businesses despite a much smaller population? When is the last new building in the Irvine city limits apart from some government buildings? River Drive and Broadway have seen businesses flee and current businesses haven't painted their buidings in decades. If you have tried to start a business and been turned down by these traditional jokes of office holders, CAMPAIGN against these people. It is time we have a council that wants to better the city of Irvine. We can do better. The voters need to kick some of these Neanderthals out of office. Folks, don't take these local elections lightly as they affect your life more than presidential elections.
What kind of businesses are you hearing that have been held up?
because

Clintwood, VA

#7 Apr 29, 2013
asking anyone wrote:
That's because she was trying to open a business in an area that is zoned for residential. This same crackpot lady stuck up a sign on state right of way and then sued the state when the highway department took her sign down.

Location hidden

#8 Apr 30, 2013
Why should a city get to zone any land that they do not possess a deed to? Private Property is Private Property... If some one owning land wants to build their residence right next to or in the middle of some businesses or if they want to open a business next to or in the middle of some residential homes, why should it matter to the city or anyone else? This is why the city of Irvine is loosing businesses left and right.. Too few people having most of the damn say so of who can do what where based on personal preference. I find it to be a very disrespectful maneuver for an entrepreneur seeking to grab his own wealth and success to have to gain the permission of anyone to pursue that ambition on his own private property which he holds current possession of.
Well

Irvine, KY

#9 Apr 30, 2013
The Virg wrote:
Why should a city get to zone any land that they do not possess a deed to? Private Property is Private Property... If some one owning land wants to build their residence right next to or in the middle of some businesses or if they want to open a business next to or in the middle of some residential homes, why should it matter to the city or anyone else? This is why the city of Irvine is loosing businesses left and right.. Too few people having most of the damn say so of who can do what where based on personal preference. I find it to be a very disrespectful maneuver for an entrepreneur seeking to grab his own wealth and success to have to gain the permission of anyone to pursue that ambition on his own private property which he holds current possession of.
If you are in the city limits, they have every right to get into your business.

Location hidden

#10 Apr 30, 2013
Well wrote:
<quoted text>
If you are in the city limits, they have every right to get into your business.
On what grounds? So does that mean that the city should be able to waltz into your home anytime they want? To decide if you should have greener grass? If your car should be cleaner? Show me what document was signed by any citizen forefitting their private property rights over to the city.
not hardly

Irvine, KY

#11 Apr 30, 2013
because wrote:
<quoted text>
That's because she was trying to open a business in an area that is zoned for residential. This same crackpot lady stuck up a sign on state right of way and then sued the state when the highway department took her sign down.
well her sign is still up.and btw she had the land owners permission.
not hardly

Irvine, KY

#12 Apr 30, 2013
because wrote:
<quoted text>
remember the front porch gallery? That was around way before the b@b. That was a busuness and right across the street so y did it take over a year again? Since u know so much I thought u would know the real answer,
finally

London, KY

#13 Apr 30, 2013
not hardly wrote:
<quoted text>remember the front porch gallery? That was around way before the b@b. That was a busuness and right across the street so y did it take over a year again? Since u know so much I thought u would know the real answer,
some sanity! I can tell you why... It takes the well connected and the well to do to get past the 'same ole same ole' around here. They got no time to listen, it's like swatting an annoying fly & you're the 'fly' especially if you're new & God help you if one of them don't like you.

They know that B&B was very little money in it for them, UNLESS they thought about the MAXIMUM property taxes they charge. PLUS they seen 1st hand their friends and family fail at the same B&B business and didn't want ANYBODY to succeed after that.

Spiteful & jelous, but that's nobodies fault but ours! We're the ones that put them in office and we're the ones who can take them out...

Location hidden

#14 Apr 30, 2013
Im seeing people defend the city council's actions but not seeing any proof that they should have the ability to do what they do to private property owners.. They do not own the land deeds to those properties, so I ask again, where does their authority validly lay to begin to control who can do what with their private property! Being in the City is NOT a valid defense for the city to decide who can and who cannot have an opportunity to make money for themselves. If you cannot provide anything more in the way of a defense than that then might I suggest you do not speak because it just makes you look foolish along with those you are "defending"
Hey Virg

United States

#15 Apr 30, 2013
The fact is that for right or wrong, state law allows cities and counties to pass zoning regulations. If you think Irvine is bad, try going to Clark County or Lexington.

Location hidden

#16 Apr 30, 2013
Well Im not discussing legalities here because quite frankly most of what is in the legal system is wrong and is in there not for our protection but for the sole purpose of allowing the government to control the people and criminalizing anyone that dares to act independently and without the blessing of the state.
Hey Virg

West Liberty, KY

#17 May 1, 2013
I agree with you there, but for some reason the legislature allowed local governments to implement zoning if they so choose. At least there is no zoning out in the county, whcih is the reason most of the new business in Irvine has located out of the city limits on the south side of the river. I am surprised the city has never tried to annex the strip running out to about Stacy Lane, for the tax revenue it would generate.

Location hidden

#18 May 1, 2013
All anyone needs to think about when deciding how well the city council of the present and past has performed is if they can name even one other county where the vast majority of all businesses including most of the restaurants reside OUTSIDE the city limits of the county seat.. Forget what I have said before, forget the defenses others have offered.. Just ask yourself that one single question and see how long it takes you to come up with an answer.
Hey Virg

West Liberty, KY

#19 May 1, 2013
It really has nothing to do with the city council. It's pretty much a function of property availability and traffic. Richmond Road is the busiest road in the county and that's where businesses want to be.
Lib

Heidrick, KY

#20 May 1, 2013
Yes but..... almost every city I can think of has figured out a way to REvitalize their Downtowns EXCEPT Irvine.

Smaller towns, bigger towns, only a few towns like B-ville comes to mind and even they have more downtown business than we do.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Irvine Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
KY What's mitch McConnell done for coal, when ther... 10 min Username 1,551
KY 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 19 min DITCH HARRY 151,286
KY Hundreds of birds die in western Ky. (Jan '11) 1 hr Johnny Blade 81,600
Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 2 hr Khatru 130,549
Justin Wolfinbarger 4 hr Customer 1
cash willis a man's man in pink (Nov '10) 5 hr Haha 14
are you ready,for,what's to come? 6 hr URDumb 11
Beat up and ran into Shell station naked? 12 hr Well-Well 4
•••
•••
•••

Irvine Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000