North Korea - credible threat?

Posted in the Irvine Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#1 Apr 2, 2013
Are you concerned about the recent threats from North Korea or do you think they're just "swinging it around" in a show of bravado?
hahaha

El Paso, AR

#2 Apr 2, 2013
Never underestimate anyone.

“I been hangin' on every word.”

Since: Sep 10

Location hidden

#3 Apr 2, 2013
North Korea is going down Saddam Hussein's same path in escalation. Hussein knew that he could never win with the US, but in order to save face against what he saw as a more credible close threat (Iran), he continued with rhetoric that he could not easily have backed down from.

With Kim Jong Un, he likely knows that war versus the US would be impractical. However, their economy is failing, he is a young leader likely in the midst of a lot of power hungry generals, and showing an extremely strong face to South Korea, the US, and his own people and generals may be a safer choice in his mind than being seen as a coward.

Do I think they will engage with the US? No...his military leaders may want a strong leader, but they don't want a stupid one. Of course it's possible they all are disillusioned and think that they could completely take over the world--in which case war may be inevitable.
Chris

Irvine, KY

#4 Apr 2, 2013
I have a lot of mixed feelings about this topic. It is my understanding from what I have read that they do in fact have nuclear weapons and are testing them right? What I don't understand is who is their prime target. I think, not know just my opinion, that the whole Korea thing was left to open for discussion. We invaded Iraq for a lot less about ten years ago and look what it has cost us. I am all for keeping the peace but I don't think it's fair to americans to stand by on idol and wait for something to happen that could potentially cause us or our allies harm. I just think again, think, that a country would have to have some brass to launch an attack on the USA. I don't agree with innocent civilians having to pay the price for the actions of a few but I also know with all freedom there is cost.
great

Richmond, KY

#5 Apr 2, 2013
Chris wrote:
I have a lot of mixed feelings about this topic. It is my understanding from what I have read that they do in fact have nuclear weapons and are testing them right? What I don't understand is who is their prime target. I think, not know just my opinion, that the whole Korea thing was left to open for discussion. We invaded Iraq for a lot less about ten years ago and look what it has cost us. I am all for keeping the peace but I don't think it's fair to americans to stand by on idol and wait for something to happen that could potentially cause us or our allies harm. I just think again, think, that a country would have to have some brass to launch an attack on the USA. I don't agree with innocent civilians having to pay the price for the actions of a few but I also know with all freedom there is cost.
I do believe that North Korea dose in fact acknowledge the fact that they stand very little chance alone against the US. "alone" that is. Its true that they have no certain alliances with other nations, however the isolated country dose have strong diplomatic relationships with China and Russia. If for any reason (doubtful) those to country's support or even use n Korea to attack the US, well the outcome may be bleak for us all.

Location hidden

#6 Apr 2, 2013
great wrote:
<quoted text>
I do believe that North Korea dose in fact acknowledge the fact that they stand very little chance alone against the US. "alone" that is. Its true that they have no certain alliances with other nations, however the isolated country dose have strong diplomatic relationships with China and Russia. If for any reason (doubtful) those to country's support or even use n Korea to attack the US, well the outcome may be bleak for us all.
Probably...but their people are brainwashed to believe that their magical ruler will be able to handle any threat.

I recommend that you check out Vice's Guide to North Korea; it's an hour long or so documentary that details some cameramen who went to North Korea and spoke at length with many of the individuals there. It was a completely surreal film that gives an unprecedented look into the lives of those in North Korea.
Tad

Watseka, IL

#7 Apr 2, 2013
We've got this. A lead plate upon their heads.
great

Richmond, KY

#8 Apr 2, 2013
Kick Brass wrote:
<quoted text>
Probably...but their people are brainwashed to believe that their magical ruler will be able to handle any threat.
I recommend that you check out Vice's Guide to North Korea; it's an hour long or so documentary that details some cameramen who went to North Korea and spoke at length with many of the individuals there. It was a completely surreal film that gives an unprecedented look into the lives of those in North Korea.
True! I recall a scene where the photographer lied down before the "great leader's" Kim Il song and Kim Jons Il massive bronze monument to get a full picture and was threatened by deportation and fine!
I do not fear Korea as a threat of great magnitude. I do fear the "behind the scenes" manipulative advance our "not" so friendly Russia and china may gain by the arrogance of Kim jon un THUS encouraging him to draw first blood.

Location hidden

#9 Apr 2, 2013
great wrote:
<quoted text>
True! I recall a scene where the photographer lied down before the "great leader's" Kim Il song and Kim Jons Il massive bronze monument to get a full picture and was threatened by deportation and fine!
I do not fear Korea as a threat of great magnitude. I do fear the "behind the scenes" manipulative advance our "not" so friendly Russia and china may gain by the arrogance of Kim jon un THUS encouraging him to draw first blood.
Not to mention that the citizens of North Korea are in no way evil; they are both repressed and brainwashed to the point where they completely believe that they are in the right.

Convincing them that they live in a dream world would be akin to convincing Jim Carrey he was just a guy in a TV show on The Truman Show--they simply don't know anything else. There is no voice of dissension--because dissenters are killed.

If we just went gung-ho and completely destroyed North Korea's military, jailed their leaders for war crimes, and left them be, the country would be in turmoil. They see their leader as a god, and us as supreme evil beings. They may be in need of "liberation," but that doesn't mean it's something we could ever truly give to them--instead they would need to realize, over time, through some method, how wrong their society is and fix it from the inside out.
great

Richmond, KY

#10 Apr 2, 2013
Kick Brass wrote:
<quoted text>
Not to mention that the citizens of North Korea are in no way evil; they are both repressed and brainwashed to the point where they completely believe that they are in the right.
Convincing them that they live in a dream world would be akin to convincing Jim Carrey he was just a guy in a TV show on The Truman Show--they simply don't know anything else. There is no voice of dissension--because dissenters are killed.
If we just went gung-ho and completely destroyed North Korea's military, jailed their leaders for war crimes, and left them be, the country would be in turmoil. They see their leader as a god, and us as supreme evil beings. They may be in need of "liberation," but that doesn't mean it's something we could ever truly give to them--instead they would need to realize, over time, through some method, how wrong their society is and fix it from the inside out.
I agree, It is the same concept with religion, should a Baptist be damned for being raised a Baptist? or should a Muslim for knowing nothing else since birth. And no, you cannot cure per say the age implanted mentality of the people by simply overthrowing their rulers. That would cause them to revolt! Look at the middle east, do you think in your heart that in our lifetime the people will ever adjust to democracy? 3000+ years of dictatorial guidance and blind following. same here (N.Korea) So, the dichotomy remains and to us becomes a threat. one hand, diplomacy cannot change a deeply rooted culture, and war will mean the unjust slaughter of so many innocent civilians. I don't know, china has already deployed war ships in support of Korea.(fox news) my fears are now materializing. I pray for peace but you cannot show a blind man (or nation) what the colors of a rainbow look like.

Location hidden

#11 Apr 2, 2013
great wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree, It is the same concept with religion, should a Baptist be damned for being raised a Baptist? or should a Muslim for knowing nothing else since birth. And no, you cannot cure per say the age implanted mentality of the people by simply overthrowing their rulers. That would cause them to revolt! Look at the middle east, do you think in your heart that in our lifetime the people will ever adjust to democracy? 3000+ years of dictatorial guidance and blind following. same here (N.Korea) So, the dichotomy remains and to us becomes a threat. one hand, diplomacy cannot change a deeply rooted culture, and war will mean the unjust slaughter of so many innocent civilians. I don't know, china has already deployed war ships in support of Korea.(fox news) my fears are now materializing. I pray for peace but you cannot show a blind man (or nation) what the colors of a rainbow look like.
Remember that China, over time, has been unable to keep Western influence from overtaking its citizens--especially of college age. I would expect a Chinese regime change long before one in North Korea if we are considering one happening from the inside out--but it is definitely going to take a miracle for either nation to throw off the oppression of their leadership.

The problem is that North Korea is so isolated...where Chinese can surf the 'net, and censorship is never 100% effective, the message of truth can get through. In North Korea where every piece of media is leader-certified canon, it's a much different story.

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#12 Apr 3, 2013
We should send our Coast Guard to take them out. Even then it would be overkill.. North Korea is lucky to have even electricity.. North Korea has lasted this long only because of the UN silliness to continue sending aid to them when ever their leader decides to whine like a baby.
great

Richmond, KY

#13 Apr 3, 2013
The Virg wrote:
We should send our Coast Guard to take them out. Even then it would be overkill.. North Korea is lucky to have even electricity.. North Korea has lasted this long only because of the UN silliness to continue sending aid to them when ever their leader decides to whine like a baby.
We too as a nation are guilty of sending them aid. The Korean leaders always use the people as reason for aid request's, then no food or funds ever reach them.

Location hidden

#14 Apr 3, 2013
great wrote:
<quoted text>
We too as a nation are guilty of sending them aid. The Korean leaders always use the people as reason for aid request's, then no food or funds ever reach them.
This is true.. They say that providing aid to the enemy used to be called Treason....Now they call it Foreign Aid....
great

Richmond, KY

#15 Apr 3, 2013
The Virg wrote:
<quoted text>
This is true.. They say that providing aid to the enemy used to be called Treason....Now they call it Foreign Aid....
Amen my friend! alas we so often forget that "charity starts from home"! Let us sit back as a country, do the best we can to improve our USA then by all means help others. Not just "others" but those who will ensure that all aid will in fact help to improve the vital needs of their people. Our government for years has known who is "pulling the wool over their eyes" And yet continue to help them in hope things may somehow change..

Location hidden

#16 Apr 4, 2013
Foreign Aid "AKA Treason" and Sanctions accomplish the same result of forcing poor people in poor countries to be more dependent on their rich government for survival and that is not only immoral, but unconstitutional, and it is the complete opposite of Liberty.
Tad

Watseka, IL

#17 Apr 4, 2013
Yeppers, fellas. Let's send some ninjas to abdicate the new child-king and give them some rice. an a-load of rice. How hard? Win-win. Maybe if we sequestered North Korea, they'd know how serious we are about our own people. Off-topic.

Rice-tax!
Tad

Watseka, IL

#18 Apr 4, 2013
The Virg wrote:
Foreign Aid "AKA Treason" and Sanctions accomplish the same result of forcing poor people in poor countries to be more dependent on their rich government for survival and that is not only immoral, but unconstitutional, and it is the complete opposite of Liberty.

Lazy bums.

“Relax. Its just a ride.”

Since: Aug 09

Location hidden

#19 Apr 4, 2013
North Korea? Bah. A failed welfare state dependant on foreign aid that gets promised every time they throw a tantrum. This time however, no aid has been coming in so they are playing a heavy handed gambit that a huge tantrum might get em some food. Remember, this is the nation who's capitol doesn't even have reliable electricity.

Location hidden

#20 Apr 4, 2013
Cornliquor Federation wrote:
North Korea? Bah. A failed welfare state dependant on foreign aid that gets promised every time they throw a tantrum. This time however, no aid has been coming in so they are playing a heavy handed gambit that a huge tantrum might get em some food. Remember, this is the nation who's capitol doesn't even have reliable electricity.
You have been banned from /r/pyongyang for your comment.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Irvine Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 2 hr Historicallyspeaking 131,870
Murder In Estill County 2 hr Bitch101 98
An Estill Countians to represent the 91st in 2016 9 hr Batter up 2
just wondering 9 hr united states 1
drug bust 12 hr Cracker40 78
kim durbin (Jun '13) 12 hr Melissa 7
In memory of late state Rep.Clarence CD Noland 15 hr Sober 1
Irvine Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Irvine People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Irvine News, Events & Info