Parents should get your kids out of A...

Parents should get your kids out of Appalachia

Posted in the Irvine Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Dubie

London, KY

#1 Dec 7, 2009
Stay out of southern Appalachia. Don't allow your little ones to be in an area where murder, drug abuse, political corruption, etc. are the norm. The hills and hollers of eastern KY are full of bones. Just today a woman in Leslie County was shot by her son. The murder rates in the mountains rival and even exceed the ghettos per capita. You never know when you will piss off the wrong person and end up dead. Watch your company. Drug lords run the Appalachian mountains! You are safer in rural Iowa, Kansas, Nebraska, Missouri, etc. No wonder the population is dropping in most counties east of I 75 and south of I 64.
Sarah

Saint Simons Island, GA

#2 Dec 7, 2009
I hate to disagree with such powerful statements but I would much rather my children grow up here than anywhere else. I am a mother to five children and two step-children. All of them, with the exception of the baby, were straight A students. I have one attending college at this time, still making straight A's. They have never experimented with drugs. They are not perfect but I feel that raising them here and instilling values has helped. My sister-in-law's two children were raised in Florida. They are both drug addicts and both teenage parents. I feel that where you raise your children doesn't influence them as much as how you raise them.
Jacob

Lexington, KY

#3 Dec 7, 2009
Dubie wrote:
Stay out of southern Appalachia. Don't allow your little ones to be in an area where murder, drug abuse, political corruption, etc. are the norm. The hills and hollers of eastern KY are full of bones. Just today a woman in Leslie County was shot by her son. The murder rates in the mountains rival and even exceed the ghettos per capita. You never know when you will piss off the wrong person and end up dead. Watch your company. Drug lords run the Appalachian mountains! You are safer in rural Iowa, Kansas, Nebraska, Missouri, etc. No wonder the population is dropping in most counties east of I 75 and south of I 64.
You need to check your sources. Just saying.
lol

Mullins, SC

#4 Dec 7, 2009
Dubie wrote:
FAIL: The hills and "hollers" are full of bones everywhere. That's what happens when things die.
Dubie

London, KY

#5 Dec 8, 2009
The hills of eastern KY are full of bones from slain victims. Look at the court records. My cousin used to be a lawyer in Hazard and he said the court records would make you sick at your stomach.
Jacob

Lexington, KY

#6 Dec 8, 2009
So would all other places. The "hills" are no worse than big cities.
loveithere

Goose Creek, SC

#7 Dec 8, 2009
Dubie, you are full of it. If you can do the research here, then check out around the exact place you named. Nebraska: 250 unsolved murders, Kentucky: 85 since 1996. Not only that my friend, look at the crime rate for Gangs,burglary's, muggings, sexual crimes, there are alot more that goes on in the places you named than you must know. Dont believe me look it up and do a little research. Myself, I love the Appalachia "especially Kentucky" and dont give a damn what some stupid ass city slicker has to say bout it. GO BIG BLUE!!
Dumb Dubie

Mullins, SC

#8 Dec 8, 2009
Dubie, how can you make fun of Appalachia's shortcomings when you can't even spell. I've read over your posts and you sound like an illiterate hick. Maybe you should stay in the big city of..wait where did you say you were from?, and take an English as a second language class.
dubie

Brookville, PA

#9 Dec 9, 2009
I am from here. When I lived near Cincinnati, I had to learn how to talk and act. Country people are so uncivilized. I grew up a certain way and didn't know better like many Appalachians.

In Indiana, I had to do the same thing. People here learn some BAD HABITS and WAYS that aren't atractive.

I like the cheap land here but I HATE the idiocy of the people. People who lack pride and self respect. People who are so ignorant and don't want to better themselves.
Appalachia is the laughing stock of the nation. And there has to be a reason. Clean up the yards, get rid of the old ugly rattletraps (or fix them up), stop throwing trash, stop supporting corrupt politicians and MAYBE outsiders would respect this region. Stop the senseless killings.

In 1991, there was a Lex. Herald article stating how the murder rates per capita in Eastern KY are worse than in large cities. I posted it somewhere on Topix.
Willow Tree

Winchester, KY

#10 Dec 9, 2009
Boy, you have to be one of the most ignorant folks to ever post on this forum. Ya had to learn how to talk and act? WTF? I'd blame that on the parents that raised ya... not the hills or the region.
get real

Richmond, KY

#11 Dec 9, 2009
dubie wrote:
I am from here. When I lived near Cincinnati, I had to learn how to talk and act. Country people are so uncivilized. I grew up a certain way and didn't know better like many Appalachians.
In Indiana, I had to do the same thing. People here learn some BAD HABITS and WAYS that aren't atractive.
I like the cheap land here but I HATE the idiocy of the people. People who lack pride and self respect. People who are so ignorant and don't want to better themselves.
Appalachia is the laughing stock of the nation. And there has to be a reason. Clean up the yards, get rid of the old ugly rattletraps (or fix them up), stop throwing trash, stop supporting corrupt politicians and MAYBE outsiders would respect this region. Stop the senseless killings.
In 1991, there was a Lex. Herald article stating how the murder rates per capita in Eastern KY are worse than in large cities. I posted it somewhere on Topix.
So your saying you would rather be an IFO( ignorant fucking ohioan)-I think you are just a shit stirrer-and if you had to learn how to do things different- you must have had poor teaching from the beginning-shut up you-you will never win an arguement with us applacians-so know your roll and quit while you think your ahead.
You are stupid

Mullins, SC

#12 Dec 9, 2009
dubie wrote:
Oh... so now that you have totally forgot how you was raised and became better than every damn person on this earth your life is complete. die.
You are stupid

Mullins, SC

#13 Dec 9, 2009
Dubie wrote:
Ohh.. before i forget.. Cincinnati has a higher crime rate than these little small towns. our population is decreasing not because we are all druggies and murderers... but because people like you make us want to slit our wrists and piss in the wound. YOUR UGLY AND NO BETTER THAN WHERE YOU WERE RAISED FROM. How would your mother feel about this? Doggin the way she raised you.. Wouldnt be allowed in my house.
rotf

Mullins, SC

#14 Dec 9, 2009
dubie wrote:
Cincinnati is one of the nastiest places that I've ever been and Dayton is a rat infested hell hole. The hills of Boone country are filled with bones, because people from Ohio can't tell when they're walking off of a cliff.
rotf

Mullins, SC

#15 Dec 9, 2009
Your so good with research Dubie, you should look up the study where most city kids think chocolate milk comes from brown cows. Are you smarter than a fifth grader?
Dubie

Manchester, KY

#16 Dec 10, 2009
Kentucky's crime rate in rural areas is very high.
In fact, per capita speaking, it was once higher than the crime rate of many major cities.
Page: Al
By Frank Langfitt Southeastern Kentucky bureau
HYDEN -- People wave when they pass each other along the mountain roads of Leslie County. Cars usually stop in front of the courthouse in Hyden to let people cross the street.
Folks here are among the friendliest and most courteous around. And like many in Eastern Kentucky, they think they act a little more civilized than people in big cities.
They are right - except when it comes to killing each other.
From 1980 to 1989, Leslie County had a per-capita homicide rate higher than New York City, Chicago or Los Angeles.
A review by the Herald-Leader found that Leslie and nine neighboring Appalachian counties in southeastern Kentucky had higher homicide rates than many major U.S. cities.
Wolfe and Perry counties had homicide rates of 24.2 and 21.6 for every 100,000 people -- both higher than Philadelphia, Boston or San Francisco.
Clay, Breathitt and Owsley had rates ranging from 2l.1 to 18.6 for every 100,000 - higher than Seattle or Nashville.
And Harlan, Estlll, Knox and Lee had rates of at least 15 for every 100,000 -- twice the state average and greater than Columbus, Ohio; Phoenix, Ariz.; or San Diego.
Leslie County's homicide rate -- 28 for every 100,000 -- was the highest in Kentucky. It was also more than three and four times that of the state's two most urban counties, Jefferson and Fayette.
The 10 Appalachian counties listed above were among the 14 highest in the state.
In some cases, the rates of Appalachian counties were not much higher than those of U.S. cities. But in others, the difference was substantial.
If people in Perry County had killed each other at the rate of people in San Francisco, 25 fewer would have died between 1980 and 1989, data show.
During that period, 69 people were killed in Perry County. Perry's average population for the decade was 31,992, according to census figures.
(In determining the city and county rates, the newspaper considered all murders and non-negligent manslaughters compiled in crime reports from 1980 through 1989 by the Kentucky State Police and the FBI. Vehicular and other negligent homicides were not included.)
During the decade, the average populations of the 10 Appalachian counties ranged from 5,368 to 39,337, according to census figures. Homicides for each of the 10 counties were distributed evenly throughout the decade, suggesting that the high rates were not due to chance.
"None of this is surprising," said Ronald D. Eller, a professor of history at the University of Kentucky and a leading Appalachian scholar.
Eastern Kentucky may be rural, but many of its problems -- high unemployment, poor schools and, in some narrow hollows, crowded living conditions - are similar to those in urban areas.
The region bas a long tradition of violence fueled by the pressures of its boom-and-bust coal economy, Eller said. Scholars also see links between current levels of violence and the region's turbulent history, including the Civil War and industrialization.
State police and prosecutors think chronic joblessness and high dropout rates have left some people with
little patience and few skills to resolve their differences peacefully.
People in Eastern Kentucky "will be nice to you, and if that doesn't work, they will go to the other extreme," said Capt. Douglas Asher, commander of the state police post in London.
JM: I cut the article off at this point.
You may be able to google it for the rest or post your e-mail and I will send it to you.
[+] Rate this post positively
04-25-2009, 10:58 AM
JordanMardan
Read more: http://www.city-data.com/forum/general-u-s/29...
Dubie

Manchester, KY

#17 Dec 10, 2009
HOMICIDE RATES IN SOME COUNTIES RIVAL BIG CITIES'

Published: Sunday, May 19, 1991
Section: MAIN NEWS

Page: Al
By Frank Langfitt Southeastern Kentucky bureau

HYDEN -- People wave when they pass each other along the mountain roads of Leslie County. Cars usually stop in front of the courthouse in Hyden to let people cross the street.
Folks here are among the friendliest and most courteous around. And like many in Eastern Kentucky, they think they act a little more civilized than people in big cities.

They are right - except when it comes to killing each other.
From 1980 to 1989, Leslie County had a per-capita homicide rate higher than New York City, Chicago or Los Angeles.

A review by the Herald-Leader found that Leslie and nine neighboring Appalachian counties in southeastern Kentucky had higher homicide rates than many major U.S. cities.
Wolfe and Perry counties had homicide rates of 24.2 and 21.6 for every 100,000 people -- both higher than Philadelphia, Boston or San Francisco.

Clay, Breathitt and Owsley had rates ranging from 2l.1 to 18.6 for every 100,000 - higher than Seattle or Nashville.
And Harlan, Estlll, Knox and Lee had rates of at least 15 for every 100,000 -- twice the state average and greater than Columbus, Ohio; Phoenix, Ariz.; or San Diego.

Leslie County's homicide rate -- 28 for every 100,000 -- was the highest in Kentucky. It was also more than three and four times that of the state's two most urban counties, Jefferson and Fayette.
The 10 Appalachian counties listed above were among the 14 highest in the state.

-states-usa-3.html#ixzz0ZKSMrq NI
Dubie

Manchester, KY

#18 Dec 10, 2009

In some cases, the rates of Appalachian counties were not much higher than those of U.S. cities. But in others, the difference was substantial.
If people in Perry County had killed each other at the rate of people in San Francisco, 25 fewer would have died between 1980 and 1989, data show.
During that period, 69 people were killed in Perry County. Perry's average population for the decade was 31,992, according to census figures.

(In determining the city and county rates, the newspaper considered all murders and non-negligent manslaughters compiled in crime reports from 1980 through 1989 by the Kentucky State Police and the FBI. Vehicular and other negligent homicides were not included.)
During the decade, the average populations of the 10 Appalachian counties ranged from 5,368 to 39,337, according to census figures. Homicides for each of the 10 counties were distributed evenly throughout the decade, suggesting that the high rates were not due to chance.

"None of this is surprising," said Ronald D. Eller, a professor of history at the University of Kentucky and a leading Appalachian scholar.
Eastern Kentucky may be rural, but many of its problems -- high unemployment, poor schools and, in some narrow hollows, crowded living conditions - are similar to those in urban areas.

The region bas a long tradition of violence fueled by the pressures of its boom-and-bust coal economy, Eller said. Scholars also see links between current levels of violence and the region's turbulent history, including the Civil War and industrialization.

State police and prosecutors think chronic joblessness and high dropout rates have left some people with
little patience and few skills to resolve their differences peacefully.
People in Eastern Kentucky "will be nice to you, and if that doesn't work, they will go to the other extreme," said Capt. Douglas Asher, commander of the state police post in London.

JM: I cut the article off at this point.
You may be able to google it for the rest or post your e-mail and I will send it to you.

[+] Rate this post positively

04-25-2009, 10:58 AM
JordanMardan

Read more: http://www.city-data.com/forum/general-u-s/29...
Dubie

Manchester, KY

#19 Dec 10, 2009
Most of the cowardly insults comes from people who can't stand to hear the truth. Admit it that this region has problems. Don't accept the problems.

Too many dumbassed hillbillies never travel beyond their hometown and ACCEPT poverty and ignorance as bliss.

And mountain people need to stop blaming outsiders and stop feeling sorry for themselves.

You are where you are because of CHOICES you made.

The crime stats are chilling. SOmething is WRONG. Get your heads out of your asses! SOmething is wrong.
Dubie

Manchester, KY

#20 Dec 10, 2009
Here is the stats that the hillbillies won't admit:

Leslie County's homicide rate -- 28 for every 100,000 -- was the highest in Kentucky. It was also more than three and four times that of the state's two most urban counties, Jefferson and Fayette
If murder in Estill COunty is twice the state average, something needs to be done about it. The safety of our people is very important. I want to feel safe. Third world crime rates should make us vomit.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Irvine Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
How safe is the Estill County High School 6 min tobian 1
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 10 min Paul 171,948
Guys, do you wear underwear? (Jul '10) 3 hr Bentover 8
Wendy winkler 3 hr FredSmyth 8
Wt 8 hr Right 6
Rich City Radio 10 hr Kayla 1
Dope heads 10 hr I want answers 1

Irvine Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Irvine Mortgages