Appalachian Wireless VS. AT&T
unsatisfied customer

Newport, KY

#22 Mar 28, 2009
I got App. Wireless and included a phone as modem package on my plan (could not get DSL or anything in my area, PAM is actually faster than dial up). I asked if there were any data limits for the PAM plan and was told that it was unlimited. What do you know my first month's bill was $3000!! I had to call them and argue about this for a while before they removed the charges. Also, if you travel a lot, be aware that their "unlimited roaming" only applies if you use the phone over half the time in the 'non-roaming' service area. None of this is explained at the initial signing of the contract. They look for loop holes just so they can screw you over.
Opinion

Mullins, SC

#23 Mar 29, 2009
My husband I switched to appy last year from att and couldn't be happier. Upon moving back to Irvine, we may as well not have had cell phone with att. Att works well most everywhere but here. However, we travel to Winchester to work everyday and you can just about forget ATT out that way. Appy works great all over Irvine and all the way to Winchester. Not only that, but I haven't had a problem with it in Lex or Richmond either. It uses Verizon towers as well as Appy towers. The only downfall I have with Appy is that everyone I know has ATT so when I am talking to them it's not free minutes (mobile to mobile). That adds up more that I thought.
richcitychick

Richmond, KY

#24 Mar 29, 2009
verizon gets really good service in irvine. my granny lives there. and my dad lives in trapp. i've seen ppl standing on their vehicles looking for service. my granny and dad both have verizon and love it. dad says he can talk all the way from winchester, to richmond, going thru irvine. just thought i'd put in my 2 sense.
dwhite

Paintsville, KY

#25 Mar 30, 2009
richcitychick wrote:
verizon gets really good service in irvine. my granny lives there. and my dad lives in trapp. i've seen ppl standing on their vehicles looking for service. my granny and dad both have verizon and love it. dad says he can talk all the way from winchester, to richmond, going thru irvine. just thought i'd put in my 2 sense.
Verizon also has the 50/50 rule so be careful there. In Irvine, Verizon roams off the Appalachian towers - I have a cell instead of a home phone so I had to go with Appalachian Wireless or else I would break the 50/50 rule and my Verizon contract would have been canceled.

Dissatisfied - All that info is on the back page of the contract.
Glass house

AOL

#26 Apr 4, 2009
bwa-ha-ha wrote:
What is the comparison of service between App Wireless and AT&T? How do their plans compare? If anybody has had one or both services, I would appreciate hearing your comments.- Thanks
I have AT&T my contract is up with them. I've still continued my services cuz my wife has a contract til August. If I drop my line it be only 10 bucks cheaper. I've never had App Wireless but haven't heard no complaints from family members. AT&T doesn't have signal nowheres in Irvine, until you cross the bridge, and sometimes for me until I passed Roses Cash & Carry. Have no signal for the most part on Tipton Ridge and there are even towers up here and close to Powell Co. Lines. In other words as soon as my wife's contract is up we are looking elsewhere. APP wireless will be the way to go.

“Come getcha some!”

Since: Jan 09

Irvine

#27 Apr 4, 2009
unsatisfied customer wrote:
I got App. Wireless and included a phone as modem package on my plan (could not get DSL or anything in my area, PAM is actually faster than dial up). I asked if there were any data limits for the PAM plan and was told that it was unlimited. What do you know my first month's bill was $3000!! I had to call them and argue about this for a while before they removed the charges. Also, if you travel a lot, be aware that their "unlimited roaming" only applies if you use the phone over half the time in the 'non-roaming' service area. None of this is explained at the initial signing of the contract. They look for loop holes just so they can screw you over.
My wife & I had the SAME thing happen to us by App. Wireless! Just received a bill from them for alittle over 700.00! Have had nothing but TROUBLE from them & their staff! Was a prior customer of ATT for six years & wish I'd never left! Was lured by the idea of receiving signal in places such as Ravenna. I work in different surrounding counties & I can tell you with 100% honesty, once you go outside of Waco you are "piggy-backing" off of Verizon, & they're roaming charges will literally RAPE YOU & YOUR WALLET!!!!!!!!!! If I can ever get outta this mess, I'll never stray again from ATT. Hell, I'd rather have Verizon than App. Wireless... ATT is supposedly only second to Verizon... either way, I can assure you from "first & current hand experience"... App. Wireless SUX!!!!!!!!!!
watch out

Saint Simons Island, GA

#28 Apr 5, 2009
Jato, you dont get charged for roaming unless youre over your minutes

“Come getcha some!”

Since: Jan 09

Irvine

#29 Apr 5, 2009
watch out wrote:
Jato, you dont get charged for roaming unless youre over your minutes
Guess again... we have from DAY 1!!!!!!!!
Crazyyy

Berea, KY

#30 Apr 6, 2009
i have app wireless. and i would say its your best bet if you live in irvine. AT&T you don't get service past the bridge.
Ben Thare

London, KY

#31 Apr 6, 2009
Had AT&T no service in large part of Estill Co. The way i solved my problen - buy minutes from app. wireless to use when I need to in the areas where no recepton for the other carriers. in my case the cost is low about five dollars per month for app. wireless. You can have your cake and eat it to .
dwhite

Mullins, SC

#32 Apr 6, 2009
Jato wrote:
<quoted text>
Guess again... we have from DAY 1!!!!!!!!
If your plan is for 450 minutes, that's how many you have to use per month. Once you exceed your minutes, it is 40 cents per minute. The reason it breaks it into "Overage Minutes" and "Roamer Minutes" is so you can tell where you are when you are going over the most (so they can keep track of your 50/50 use). As long as you don't exceed 50% roaming and you still have minutes remaining, you do not get charged for overage and/or roaming unless you have one of those old plans that are not nationwide. I had a roamer charge when I still had minutes left on my bill and they credited me for that as soon as I called it in.
Me Me

Goose Creek, SC

#33 Apr 18, 2009
I have Verizon Wreless and it gets good service in irvine, better than at&t, My sister-in-law changed from at&t to Verizon because it gets better service. Go to a verizon store in lex or call verizon wireless if you are interested. Thats what I would recomend.
Me Me

Goose Creek, SC

#34 Apr 18, 2009
sdklJFB ADLFKSJBG

Saint Simons Island, GA

#35 Apr 19, 2009
Appalachin gets good service in Estill, and thats about it. And, in mountains and everything. I dont get good service at all anywhere else besides in the Mountains and stuff. They have sucky phone too, I have a Blackberry, like the very first one they ever came out with, and it sucks. I have to take the battery out atleast 3 or 4 times a day, and it dosent charge unless I have service, and its retarted. half of the time it dosent send my messages, and even when i hve full service, i sometimes wont recieve my messages, and they say its because its to full, but i dont have music, because it wont let me recieve any... and i delete all of my messages and everything as soon as it is sent, or recieved.
ughhh,
i would get Verizon or Sprint if i was you, they have way better phones, serive, and rates.
how

United States

#36 Apr 20, 2009
Ben Thare wrote:
Had AT&T no service in large part of Estill Co. The way i solved my problen - buy minutes from app. wireless to use when I need to in the areas where no recepton for the other carriers. in my case the cost is low about five dollars per month for app. wireless. You can have your cake and eat it to .
How are you doing this? Are you getting a prepaid phone from App Wireless? I've thought about doing that, AT&T coverage in Estill, Lee, Owsley and Breathitt is terrible and it would be nice to have a phone for emergencies.
Ben Thare

London, KY

#37 Apr 20, 2009
how wrote:
<quoted text>
How are you doing this? Are you getting a prepaid phone from App Wireless? I've thought about doing that, AT&T coverage in Estill, Lee, Owsley and Breathitt is terrible and it would be nice to have a phone for emergencies.
You have the same thought I had and what you said is what I did, simple and cheap , I use the app. wireless whe i dont get the other service and now have over 400 minutes built up. go for it it works.
love appy wireless

Manchester, KY

#38 Apr 21, 2009
i love to hunt and fish...but i had at&t...my girlfriend has app. wireless. so when i would hunt i'd take her phone cause i would get service everywhere.so as soon as my contract was up my parents and i made the switch and couldn't be happier!!! you really do get service in way more places.
dwhite

Mullins, SC

#39 Apr 21, 2009
sdklJFB ADLFKSJBG wrote:
Appalachin gets good service in Estill, and thats about it. And, in mountains and everything. I dont get good service at all anywhere else besides in the Mountains and stuff. They have sucky phone too, I have a Blackberry, like the very first one they ever came out with, and it sucks. I have to take the battery out atleast 3 or 4 times a day, and it dosent charge unless I have service, and its retarted. half of the time it dosent send my messages, and even when i hve full service, i sometimes wont recieve my messages, and they say its because its to full, but i dont have music, because it wont let me recieve any... and i delete all of my messages and everything as soon as it is sent, or recieved.
ughhh,
i would get Verizon or Sprint if i was you, they have way better phones, serive, and rates.
Those phones just plain sucked - doesn't matter who you have them through haha. I have a new Blackberry and I cannot keep more than a few ringtones and pictures or else I have the same problems you do - get an SD card if you have a slot for it - it will save you a lot of headache. If not, your phone is, indeed, ancient and probably really doesn't have much free memory. I think Blackberries need so much of the memory completely empty to even function - go to www.crackberry.com and look at their forums - took a lot of hassle out of my life! If you had either Verizon or Sprint, you'd still be using Appy Wireless towers anyway.
just a nice gal

London, KY

#40 Apr 22, 2009
dwhite wrote:
<quoted text>
Those phones just plain sucked - doesn't matter who you have them through haha. I have a new Blackberry and I cannot keep more than a few ringtones and pictures or else I have the same problems you do - get an SD card if you have a slot for it - it will save you a lot of headache. If not, your phone is, indeed, ancient and probably really doesn't have much free memory. I think Blackberries need so much of the memory completely empty to even function - go to www.crackberry.com and look at their forums - took a lot of hassle out of my life! If you had either Verizon or Sprint, you'd still be using Appy Wireless towers anyway.
Once upon a time I had AT&T before it merged with cingular and I had a signal everywhere in and outside of Irvine. After the merge I couldn't. I am now on my second contract with App wireless and have no problems with it. I find the staff to be courteous and helpful with what ever I need. The only place I have been in recent months where I don't get a signal is in parts of Boyle County near the Mercer County line. Other than that, the service is fine. Also my bill is always the same, no roaming or long distance charges no matter where I am. Just thought I'd add my two cents worth.
dwhite

Mullins, SC

#41 Apr 22, 2009
I had the same problem - had Cingular and it did fine until the merge (although I didn't really use the phone much back then - strange how newfangled gadgets become "neccessities" so quickly!). Kinda weird - I've heard that from a lot of people.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Irvine Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 8 min CriminalForever 151,927
estill county drug problem 1 hr Travis Tipton 8
Sandy Melton, what do you think about this 14 t... 3 hr Barnes 3
South Irvine Quick Stop 3 hr Travis Tipton 14
Hardies 10 hr Peep show 12
Rodney Davis 18 hr no one that matters 11
Curious about Mex restaurant white guy Sat curious WIFE 3

Irvine Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Irvine Mortgages