Ky in the NIT
First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Ashamed

Stanford, KY

#1 Mar 17, 2013
What a joke. Our One & Done coach had better change his strategy, or he will be done.

“I been hangin' on every word.”

Since: Sep 10

Location hidden

#2 Mar 17, 2013
Ashamed wrote:
What a joke. Our One & Done coach had better change his strategy, or he will be done.
His strategy gave us our first NCAA championship in a loooooong time. I've seen good players lose their chance at a future because they stayed in college too long and got injured before getting drafted.

This is/was a bad year--but you have to take the good with the bad.

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#3 Mar 17, 2013
I dont find it to be a wise strategy to base achieving victory on being able to always recruit the percieved best freshmen in the nation. Talent is always nice but its nothing compared to solid team work and unless UK can recruit players like they had with the 2011-12 team, then there is no reasonable expectation that recruiting one & done players is going to win Championships.. Colleges are for education first then everything else second. Kinda useless for school resources to be spent on those who have no desire to further their education.

Location hidden

#4 Mar 17, 2013
Noel didn't get to finish his first season.. But yet he is still most likely to be drafted in the NBA.. But what is the worst that happens if a player gets injured and doesn't become NBA eligible? Why he gets to finish his collegate career and earn a degree and move on. If the NBA wants you they will take you injured or not. However once they enter the draft that's it.. If the NBA doesn't work out then they are left with no future, no college degree and then what?

“I been hangin' on every word.”

Since: Sep 10

Location hidden

#5 Mar 17, 2013
The Virg wrote:
I dont find it to be a wise strategy to base achieving victory on being able to always recruit the percieved best freshmen in the nation. Talent is always nice but its nothing compared to solid team work and unless UK can recruit players like they had with the 2011-12 team, then there is no reasonable expectation that recruiting one & done players is going to win Championships.. Colleges are for education first then everything else second. Kinda useless for school resources to be spent on those who have no desire to further their education.
The system makes it hard for a lot of these kids though. One of the big things I heard in high school was "You have to go to college. No exceptions." "Everyone needs to go to college." yet there honestly were people who would have been better served being pushed toward good trade schools or apprenticeships. If you want to be in the NBA you have to first risk a year in college and hope you don't get injured or fade into mediocrity along the way.

The one-and-done strategy allows those who don't want to go to college to be there as short a time as possible. Now remember that a lot of students come back and get their degrees or at least continue classes after/during their NBA career...and UK does have some good systems in place to allow for something like that.

I do think a balance needs to be achieved though--a good mix of older, mature players and new, instant-draft talent to give us a chance at a better season next year.

Location hidden

#6 Mar 17, 2013
I accept the notion that there will be High School Kids that are indeed that talented to go pro. However I feel that the school themselves should bear the financial responsibility of those players who intend on bing one and done players instead of using year by year NCAA scholarships which could go to players who honestly would like to earn a degree. Im sure Polson would have liked to have been a scholarship player all his terms instead of being just a "walk-on" until this year.
Wyatt Earpp

London, KY

#7 Mar 17, 2013
The Virg wrote:
VIRGin, u r a relationship expert and an expert on collegiate sports as well!! Son name sumthin that u r not an expert on? Please, I wanna hear it!!

Location hidden

#8 Mar 17, 2013
But money is ultimately what drives this entire fiasco because it really wasn't all that long ago that this one and done business really got going but I hope its a trend that doesn't last because if I wanted to watch pro-players Id watch the NBA but Im kinda old fashion, I like to see a good team come together over time.

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#9 Mar 17, 2013
Early in the season, Kyle Wiltjer was doing a stand-out job. The press virtually ignored him during that time... all they could do was drool and blubber over Nerlins, Nerlins, Nerlins.

Later in the season, Willie Cauley-Stein was doing a stand-out job. All the press could do was slobber and babble about how much they missed Nerlins, Nerlins, Nerlins.

Ryan Harrow & Archie Goodwin... they were a bit raw, but had potiential... Mays, Polson, & Hood were solid & reliable... Poythress was good when he wasn't pouting.. but all the press could focus their beady little eyes on was Nerlins, Nerlins, Nerlins.

No, I don't blame Nerlins... he probably just bought into the hype everyone was peddling about him. It's called a TEAM for a reason... it's not all about one player. Once you make it all about one player, a team is doomed.

The fixated press and the toxic fans drained any motivation the other players may have had by going off the deep end when the prize egg cracked.
Well Well

Barbourville, KY

#10 Mar 18, 2013
OMG it's that liberal lame stream media that has ruined UK basketball, will the madness never end. Where have I heard that before?

All this crazy talk focusing on Nerlins, just goes to prove the damage the press & those toxic fans can do to a team when they boo and suck the air out of all those free throws.

If only the Big Blue Nation & the drooling fixated press had shared their support for the rest of Nerlins team, UK would have played like a 2013 NCAA Championship contender instead of a bunch of college freshmen with sub-par coach.
Ky Fan

Tucker, GA

#11 Mar 18, 2013
I bleed blue, & I agree with the original poster. This team just did not click together. If I were coach Cal, players like Harrow would have been benched half way thru the season. I'm sure he was promised plenty of play time in the recruitment process.

Location hidden

#12 Mar 18, 2013
Relying on free throws to win a game is a lameass strategy of the unskilled.

Location hidden

#13 Mar 18, 2013
I agree that some of them did not understand the concept of TEAM. Countless times the ball would be passed and the receiving player would turn their back to the ball or just watch it drift past.

I still think they suffered from lack of motivation. Most were "stars" at their high schools and had no idea how to play second fiddle when someone else was dubbed the new "star". The relentless attempts at "hot-dogging" plays proved that.

By appointing Nerlins as the resident individual "star" of the team, they stunted any chance of forming a star-quality team early on. By the time he was out of play, it was too late.
John Rambo

Richmond, KY

#14 Mar 18, 2013
The point of going to college is to leave with the best possible job in your chosen field. If you go to school in any field and someone offers you a shit-ton of money to take that job after your first season, you'd be lying or a complete fool if you say you would turn it down.
you know who

Richmond, KY

#15 Mar 18, 2013
I love it they didn't make the field of 68. What a great season!
Ky Fan

United States

#16 Mar 20, 2013
It's round loss. The season is finally over!!! Yee Haw
well

Irvine, KY

#17 Mar 20, 2013
they lost points from not able to shoot a free throw and not being able to have offensive rebounds. When you can't make the first shot you need to be able to rebound underneath and try again. This squad still has a lot to learn. If they didn't catch on this season why think they'll be so much better to catch on next season? It can't hurt starting over from scratch when you are on the bottom.

Location hidden

#18 Mar 20, 2013
In the mid-game coach interview last night, Cal blathered about losing Nerlins and how it affected the season. My level of respect for Cal plummeted at that moment. I feel sorry for Nerlins. They're setting him up for a huge fall if he can't live up to the NBA hype.

I have a lot of respect for the players that admitted they just weren't ready for the NBA. Reality checks are a good thing. The guys from last year haven't had stellar experiences in the NBA either. One year of college isn't enough time to mature.
yea right

Irvine, KY

#19 Mar 20, 2013
it's NERLENS. Gee so you're not as perfect as you thought you were Hippie.
omg

Irvine, KY

#20 Mar 20, 2013
maybe Cal mentioned it cause the confidence of the team took a nose dive when NERLENS got hurt. Maybe you don't have all the answers smarty pants hippie. Cal knows you can't have a 1 man team!! DUH.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Irvine Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
school board member Jon Bicknell 59 min question 7
young women dying in the KY hills 1 hr so sad 4
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 1 hr Pres Donald J Tru... 164,683
Sarah Sizemore (Jun '15) 17 hr mind ur own buisi... 23
Daryl Means 18 hr Nope 2
I support Jeff Saylor 100% Keep him in Irvine u... Sat Bert 2
Tyler Snowden Fri Hmmm 1

Irvine Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Irvine Mortgages