october unemployment
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
greg

Barberton, OH

#1 Nov 2, 2012
October unemployment climbed from 7.8% in September to 7.9% in October.
Mr.president, the number is going up again.
lee

Barberton, OH

#2 Nov 2, 2012
1.Higher unemployment then when he took office.
2.More people on welfare and government assistance.
3.Obama said he would have unemployment at. 5%- failed
Randy

Ashland, KY

#3 Nov 2, 2012
Lee you are like Romney, you will lie to anyone that will listen to you.
paul

Medina, OH

#4 Nov 2, 2012
So which one a lie?
Zack

Ashland, KY

#5 Nov 8, 2012
Democrats, you've got the White House. Now let's see if you can actually do anything but blame Bush. You'll still be blaming Bush in four years when much of America is jobless.
handy man

Ashland, KY

#6 Nov 11, 2012
The Employment Situation for November is scheduled to be released on Friday, December 7, 2012.

United States Department of Labor
Well

Versailles, KY

#7 Nov 11, 2012
Looks to be getting better by all other indicators beyond housing that is..

http://www.census.gov/cgi-bin/briefroom/Brief...

Of course I'm a Optimist.

"I don't doubt for a second that Neil Armstrong's spirit is still with us: that unique blend of optimism, humility and the utter confidence that when the world needs someone to do the really big stuff, you need an American."
Mitt Romney
Tiny

Ashland, KY

#8 Nov 12, 2012
Out of the 12.3 million unemployed persons in November 2012, 40.6% have been jobless for more than 6 months, reports CNN.
Jan

Ashland, KY

#9 Nov 16, 2012
Hostess company going out of business. Thousands more losing their jobs.
hey Jan

Columbus, OH

#10 Nov 16, 2012
These company owners make millions. Why won't they take care of their employees and pay equitable wages and benefits? GREED!! Papa John's says they can't afford to pay some of their employees health care so they are cutting hours, yet the owner of Papa John's is worth hundreds of millions. Let these big companies close their doors if they insist on making billions off the backs of minimum wage workers. Maybe then the Mom and Pop store will come back. You know, the small business owners who have to look their employees in the face.
snowball

Ashland, KY

#11 Nov 16, 2012
The number of people filing first-time jobless claims has just jumped to its highest level in over a year. According to the Labor Department, 439,000 American’s filed for new unemployment benefits in the week ending Saturday November 10th. That’s up from a revised 361,000 the week before.

Buried in the data is unfortunate news about the two states which saw the biggest increases. Ohio saw a surge of 6,450, due mostly to layoffs in the automotive and manufacturing industries, while Pennsylvania saw unemployment increase by 7,766 attributable to firings in construction and transportation.

To put this in perspective, Hurricane Sandy practically demolished New Jersey, and despite the chaos they still saw a smaller increase of 5,675 newly unemployed people.
cranberry

Ashland, KY

#12 Nov 16, 2012
True individual freedom cannot exist without economic security and independence. People who are hungry and out of a job are the stuff of which dictatorships are made.

Franklin D. Roosevelt (1882-1945)
Thirty-second President of the USA.
hungry

Ashland, KY

#13 Nov 23, 2012
In Ohio, he granted another 476,000 families food stamps in the month of September.

“Laser Guided Sanity”

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

#14 Nov 23, 2012
hungry wrote:
In Ohio, he granted another 476,000 families food stamps in the month of September.
Heard on the radio they where all taking a cut.

Maybe it will balance,who knows.

And hey,I'm just glad I'm not being held up leaving the grocery store for my lunch meat.

Could you imagine a million hungry people wanting what you got in the refrigerator.

Scary.......
sign of the times

Ashland, KY

#15 Nov 23, 2012
FaceDemFacts wrote:
<quoted text>
And hey,I'm just glad I'm not being held up leaving the grocery store for my lunch meat.
Could you imagine a million hungry people wanting what you got in the refrigerator.
Scary.......
Food stamps are the 21st century bread line.

“Laser Guided Sanity”

Location hidden

#16 Nov 24, 2012
sign of the times wrote:
<quoted text>
Food stamps are the 21st century bread line.
True enough,tho,I'm sure it can be a lifeline for disaster survivors.

The massive storms we have had in the past year made a lot of people blow their budget on spoiled food.

And another silver lining,food stamps keep you local grocery stores open and fund Americas farmers.

Last I checked we don't import the majority of our produce.

Take that China!
Columbus

Ashland, KY

#17 Nov 24, 2012
FaceDemFacts wrote:
<quoted text>
Scary.......
Nov. 17, 2012

An agreement Friday by the U.S. Department of Agriculture to let the state use a different calculation reduces the decrease to $23.

What’s called the “standard utility allowance”— the amount deducted from a person’s income when the state determines his or her eligibility for the food stamp program — will decrease in 2013, which originally translated to about $50 less monthly per household in food assistance.

State Job and Family Services officials tried to appeal the change to the Agriculture Department, which oversees the food stamp program, officially known as the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program — or SNAP — but the department had denied the request.

However, on Thursday, the state’s Department of Job and Family Services asked the Agriculture Department to use a different calculation that takes into account the cost of electric heat and propane.

The federal department approved the change Friday.

As a result, households’ monthly benefit will decrease by $23 instead of $50.

According to a letter from the Agriculture Department to state officials, a majority of Ohioans heat with natural gas, but about 18 percent use electricity and 13 percent use “fueling oils or other methods.”

States periodically review their methodology, to reflect a more current picture of the utility costs low-income people pay, explained Stacy Dean, vice president for food assistance policy at the Center on Budget and Policy Priorities.

“I’m pleased ODJFS and the USDA were able to work together to minimize the impact [of the cut] on struggling families,” said Ms. Dean, an expert on the food stamp program.

In determining food stamp benefits and eligibility, several factors are considered, such as energy, housing, and child-care costs. The average food-stamp recipient in Ohio receives $138 a month, according to state statistics. As of August, more than 1.7 million individual Ohioans, or about 869,000 families, received the assistance. A total of $3 billion in benefits was issued in 2011 in Ohio; the program is federally funded.

“Laser Guided Sanity”

Location hidden

#18 Nov 24, 2012
Columbus wrote:
<quoted text>
Nov. 17, 2012
An agreement Friday
How.
Thanks for the info.

I heard the story but didn't give it my full attention.

So nearly 900k families receive a avg. of 138 a month?

138/30=4.6$ a day?<--(coffee budget??)

Wow..I always assumed they got 300+ maybe they count every household member as one recipient.

So would be more like 900.000/2.5=360.000 receiving a average of 360$ per family?

I don't know,I still stand by my original statement,rather not have 900k hungry people wandering around.

Last thing I would want to have do is gun down someone trying to jack a roll of bologna at midnight.
Bonnie

Ashland, KY

#19 Nov 24, 2012
A record 46.7 million Americans -- or roughly one in five adults -- used food stamps in June, the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) recently reported.

Food stamp use has spiked 51 percent since October 2008, when the economy was in free fall. The number of Americans now using food stamps is roughly the same as the number of Americans living in poverty.

Food stamp benefits cost a record $71.81 billion in the 2011 fiscal year, up 43 percent from two years before, according to the USDA.(To put things in perspective, that's roughly one-tenth of federal defense spending in 2011.)

Even with food stamps, many Americans are struggling to put food on the table. Nearly one in five Americans did not have enough money to pay for food some time in the past year, according to Gallup.
Twinkie

Ashland, KY

#20 Nov 25, 2012
hey Jan wrote:
These company owners make millions. Why won't they take care of their employees and pay equitable wages and benefits? GREED!! Papa John's says they can't afford to pay some of their employees health care so they are cutting hours, yet the owner of Papa John's is worth hundreds of millions. Let these big companies close their doors if they insist on making billions off the backs of minimum wage workers. Maybe then the Mom and Pop store will come back. You know, the small business owners who have to look their employees in the face.
All over Obamacare....and will affect more and more businesses. More people will have their hours cut or become unemployed over Obamacare.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ironton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Krista Daily (Sep '12) 2 hr Finger licker 8
Vajaja farts 2 hr Finger licker 5
who sales drugs 3 hr stupid people 1
Shayla Wise and Allen Crance in a relationship 5 hr Old Friend 1
Still look for young lady for old man 5 hr sister 3
Has world thrift closed down 5 hr sadstory 161
Keely (Sep '12) 11 hr Careful 15

Ironton Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance